Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tiggum, why.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Tiggum, why.

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy
I might well ask the same of you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

motherfucker you steppin on my turf, it's on

440-449 is basically "French". Yeah sure, that works. Dustin knowing that, even Dustin being aware of the DDC enough to research and prepare the joke, shows him to be much more competent and/or motivated than I'm sure this arc will concede he is. Depending on your position you might not need to know the classification details even as an actual librarian.

Gotta be frustrating to think up titles for the background books only to have them rendered illegible by the low res reproduction. I can make out Chess Tips and Home & Hearth and something that can't possibly be Kidney of Faust.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gotta be frustrating to think up titles for the background books only to have them rendered illegible by the low res reproduction. I can make out Chess Tips and Home & Hearth and something that can't possibly be Kidney of Faust.

The original is a bit bigger:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Whoa, a strip where Dustin actually succeeds at something related to employment. Did Kelley have a near death experience in which the Ghost of Comics Future told him to stop being such a shithead?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's still time for his undiagnosed narcolepsy to lose him the job.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I've got to say that this recent kick of Dustin not being hated by the universe Steve Kelley really adds a sense of foreboding to ever new strip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (December 14-18, 1998)

First appearance: Angelique's stepchildren.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Her precious heirloom is the skin of some famous person. Well isn't that just delightful?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 13, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 13, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 13, 1989)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The "if you don't understand an Arlo and Janis it's about sex" rule feels less helpful than ever these days.

Maybe K.T. Oslin? But even then I'm not clear why, plus I would have thought Johnson's lead time was longer than that.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows in which Jack's father makes his second appearance.

Also note the picture of Billie Baker (from Allison's other comic Steeple) on the cover of the magazine Mildred is reading. Allison mentioned on his Patreon (and was already leaked in these threads) that he is working on a Lottie / Steeple crossover.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/BonecrusherJenk/status/1348508762143748098

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

The "if you don't understand an Arlo and Janis it's about sex" rule feels less helpful than ever these days.

Maybe K.T. Oslin? But even then I'm not clear why, plus I would have thought Johnson's lead time was longer than that.

The FB fans group says it is KT Olsin, presumably because of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqNzbPsD2o

lyrics posted:

We've been educated.
We got liberated.
And had complicating matters with men.
Oh, we've said "I do"
And we've signed "I don't"
And we've sworn we'd never do that again.
Oh, we burned our bras,
And we burned our dinners
And we burned our candles at both ends.
And we've had some children
Who look just like the way we did back then.

e: She died just before Christmas, so there we go.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 11, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

I might well ask the same of you.

Fair cop. Well played fair goon.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

Apparently Dustin is a member in Big Brother program. I couldn't find a first hand source, but google has some hits for that in various comments.

Also learned that Hayden is named after Kelley's son.

This makes sense in terms of how he interacts with the kid, but I assume they avoid mentioning it directly because it runs against the intended theme that Dustin is some kind of worthless loser. I've always assumed they had him interact with the neighbor kid a lot to make him seem immature.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 14, 1943)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't think anyone wrote a proper write-up of Mr. Boop, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Mr. Boop is a webcomic originally uploaded to Twitter as a one-off, but was so popular that it kept going and got its own well-designed website because trying to read a comic on Twitter is a goddamn nightmare.

The narrative is that of a slice-of-life comic of Alec Robbins, who is married to Betty Boop. He loves his wife, and she loves him. Sometimes people like Bugs Bunny are jealous of their love, and try to come between them, but their raw sexual energy can overcome any obstacle.

The meta-narrative of Mr. Boop is the story of Alec Robbins, a man who lives in a world where the quality of a comic is determined neither by art nor by writing, but instead by the coolness of the protagonist. Thus, when he creates a comic about himself being married to Betty Boop, it is universally lauded as one of the greatest comics of all time. After all, what could be cooler than being married to Betty Boop? The supreme coolness of his self-insert is repeatedly emphasized by having other cool characters (Bugs Bunny, Sonic the Hedgehog) surrender to their attraction to Alec Robbins. Alec's lack of self-awareness makes it very easy for readers from a world with reading comprehension and basic literary analysis to determine which aspects of the fictionalized version are likely to be rooted in truth (erectile dysfunction, low self-esteem, working at Subway) and which are not (an orgy with Goku). His life falls apart in scandal when it is eventually revealed that Alec Robbins is not, in fact, married to Betty Boop. Because there is nothing less cool than lying about being married to someone out of your league, his comic retroactively has become trash. When fans rally to reassure Alec of their willingness to forgive him, Alec relaunches the comic as a true slice-of-life comic this time, trying to learn to find happiness in a real relationship with a real person with their own thoughts and desires.

Many thread residents feel it belongs here because:
  • Betty Boop is a vintage comic character (yes, she had a comic strip)
  • Certain newspaper comic strip creators appear to be under the impression that they also live in a world where the quality of a comic is determined by how cool the protagonists are/how much they gently caress

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuN9BMaVWX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ev_82JicY

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Kennel posted:

Apparently Dustin is a member in Big Brother program. I couldn't find a first hand source, but google has some hits for that in various comments.

I don't remember this for sure but I can't recall any strip actually saying that. It does always seem like Dustin is just immature for hanging out with the kids

Now that Dustin is actually competent at something working at the library I assume we will never hear about this again and this plot will be all forgotten by tomorrow. Ed would not be impressed by this because the library is not a real business it's just a burden on the taxpayers.

edit: i asked on another forum about Dustin being a Big Brother and got the response "it's never been official afaik either, just someone added it to wikipedia unsourced and now when you google it you get a bunch of people mentioning it on the comics sites" , for whatever that's worth

you broke my grill fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 11, 2021

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

either Mark's got a shrinking punch or the boat is deceptively long

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

you broke my grill posted:

edit: i asked on another forum about Dustin being a Big Brother and got the response "it's never been official afaik either, just someone added it to wikipedia unsourced and now when you google it you get a bunch of people mentioning it on the comics sites" , for whatever that's worth

I'm pretty sure that was the big goon edit that reframed Dustin as the protagonist, so it would be very funny if everyone just accepted that as canon now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sure, let's invade a foreign country because some dude we don't know the identity of said so. Whupwhup!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

:unsmith: I hope this turns around for all of them.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
mark hammill really captures heimo well

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Sure, let's invade a foreign country because some dude we don't know the identity of said so. Whupwhup!

the Unknown Commander is basically a cult figure for the Jungle Patrol. Which is super hosed up actually.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

:unsmith: I hope this turns around for all of them.

We'll see. If people have jobs again at the end, that's a win.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Everett False posted:

• Certain newspaper comic strip creators appear to be under the impression that they also live in a world where the quality of a comic is determined by how cool the protagonists are/how much they gently caress

Hey, leave Arlo and Janis out of this.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posting this in a couple threads I think may appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.