Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

henpod posted:

The dragon bow seems a LOT weaker than the now I had before I upgraded. Hmph

Before it took only 3 to kill the grim reaper in the farm, but now it seems like more than 10?

I assume you mean you made the Lava Bow since I don't think you can make bows Dragon weapons (unless you can in the remake?).

How high is your Strength? The Lava Bow doesn't really scale much with your stats, but your old normal bow did. It's possible you have enough Strength that you were getting a lot of stat scaling and made your normal bow do a lot of damage on its own.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Araganzar posted:

PSA: if you two-hand the meat cleaver or another Very Large Weapon and put on the thief ring you are silent. If you wait for mind flayers to turn around you can literally sprint up and backstab them.

That worked great, and I got the maneaters my second go. Two handing the meat cleaver plus the black pine resin (or whatever the fire addition item is called here) got me through them pretty handily.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
poo poo, I never thought of putting pine resin on ol' cleavy.

I bet that would really gently caress up the world 3 and 4 bosses and the 5-1 boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the things that makes the Meat Cleaver exceptionally strong is that it's one of the rare weapons that has inherent magic damage but can also be buffed with resins and spells. Cast Light Weapon on it for a real good time.

Shout out as well to Curse Weapon for remaining hilariously overpowered in the remake because they never fixed the "use the Talisman of Beasts without meeting the requirements" bug with it. Why yes, I would like to increase my weapon's damage by a flat 50% for the low, low cost of a completely negligible 1 HP per second drain that my Adjudicator's Shield more than makes up for.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

One of the things that makes the Meat Cleaver exceptionally strong is that it's one of the rare weapons that has inherent magic damage but can also be buffed with resins and spells. Cast Light Weapon on it for a real good time.

Shout out as well to Curse Weapon for remaining hilariously overpowered in the remake because they never fixed the "use the Talisman of Beasts without meeting the requirements" bug with it. Why yes, I would like to increase my weapon's damage by a flat 50% for the low, low cost of a completely negligible 1 HP per second drain that my Adjudicator's Shield more than makes up for.

shoutout to putting curse weapon on stuff

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
When I found out you could 2 hand the Meat Cleaver while wearing the buffed Adjudicator Shield on your back it was over for those hoes.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

When I found out you could 2 hand the Meat Cleaver while wearing the buffed Adjudicator Shield on your back it was over for those hoes.

Yep, that exactly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSB0CEyFz5U

Note also the couple of times I didn't die just because I got lucky and survived being an idiot.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Am I right that the meat cleaver should get colorless soul priority over the adjudicator shield if I'm going for a gimmicky nonsense regenerator build?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So this game is, like, done? Like no more plans for releases, Bluepoint are probably already working on something else? Low liklihood of DLC?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Omi no Kami posted:

Am I right that the meat cleaver should get colorless soul priority over the adjudicator shield if I'm going for a gimmicky nonsense regenerator build?

Nope. Meat Cleaver can't be upgraded at all :)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

So this game is, like, done? Like no more plans for releases, Bluepoint are probably already working on something else? Low liklihood of DLC?

Yeah, about 0% chance of DLC since FROM didn't make any.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I assume you mean you made the Lava Bow since I don't think you can make bows Dragon weapons (unless you can in the remake?).

How high is your Strength? The Lava Bow doesn't really scale much with your stats, but your old normal bow did. It's possible you have enough Strength that you were getting a lot of stat scaling and made your normal bow do a lot of damage on its own.

Yeah I had like 30 strength, the bow was really strong. I am considering returning it to normal, not feeling the lava bow.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Lava Bow is better when you don't have high str/dex

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

henpod posted:

Yeah I had like 30 strength, the bow was really strong. I am considering returning it to normal, not feeling the lava bow.

Just max another bow, because you are really going to want the lava bow (fire damage) for world 3 and especially 5.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Just max another bow, because you are really going to want the lava bow (fire damage) for world 3 and especially 5.

That didn't even occur to me. Ha, yeah I will work on another bow for general use. I've seen a lot of talk about world 5, apparently, it's dreadful.

What did you guys call your guys? Mine is called Buttlord because I'm a child and the idea of someone called Buttlord in this horrible dark and dead world amuses me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

henpod posted:

That didn't even occur to me. Ha, yeah I will work on another bow for general use. I've seen a lot of talk about world 5, apparently, it's dreadful.

What did you guys call your guys? Mine is called Buttlord because I'm a child and the idea of someone called Buttlord in this horrible dark and dead world amuses me.

It's a shame you're forced to make reasonable looking characters in this one or you could have made a DS1 style nightmare fish-face abomination like so many others :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My five year old daughter was with me during the character creation process and insisted I make a grown-up version of her so my character is named Bianca.

I got firestorm last night and set up shop as a summon for maneaters last night. 4 casts and the beasts are slain. I’ve never seen such thankful summoners before. Pretty useful when the summon gets redirected to the monk room as well.

I’m at a great level that’s high enough for end-game but not too high so PvP and coop are both viable in most parts of the game. Is there a way on the PS5 for me to backup my save how it is now so I can go on and beat the game, then restore this save for PVP/coop fun?

I’ve got a dex(20)/str(26) build. Wearing the saint’s set, with a buckler/upgraded short compound bow in the left hand and an upgraded vanilla scimitar/meat cleaver in the right. Alternatively when it’s time for magic (int 18/mag 20) I switch to the kris blade in the left hand and a silver catalyst in the right. Thief/cling rings most of the time but the magic ring when I’ve got magic going and I’ve got enough endurance to always fastroll. There’s enough variation in combat styles that with quick switches of load out keeps people guessing in PVP. And I seem to be at the sweet spot where there’s just tons of multiplayer opportunity. Only things left for me to complete in the game are 1-3, 1-4, 4-3, 5-2, and 5-3.

I’m currently throwing myself off the bridge after each man eater victory returns me to my body so I can get my latria tendency down to pure black so I can get that sweet new sodden ring before I tackle 5-2.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 11, 2021

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

henpod posted:

The one good thing about 5 is that the bosses are an easy*, fun reward for getting through the level.

* bring arrows for 5-3

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Finally finished my Royal run, now should I keep at it to try to platinum or start a meat cleaver gimmick run?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Finally finished my Royal run, now should I keep at it to try to platinum or start a meat cleaver gimmick run?

Doing platinum on one character would require multiple NG+ cycles to get all the spells (maybe you can save-scum it, I dunno?) so you might as well do both. Your Meat Cleaver character can take care of the "get all the miracles" trophy along the way.

I used a total of three characters to get platinum. One was my NG+ Royal character who I used to get all the spells and do most of the boss trophies; one was a Faith build character who I used to get all the miracles; and finally I made a pure Magic build guy specifically to get all the rings and named him Sauron to amuse myself

(I made a separate character to get all the rings because I didn't want to screw with my NG+ character's character tendency since he was using Northern Regalia)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 11, 2021

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

if they're playing a pure strength character, a compound long bow is probably going to be better since it scales with strength and you can get a free one in 4-1. that plus some heavy arrows from Patches would probably out do the lava bow real quick for any situation where you'd want the bow.

henpod posted:

I can't really think of a way world 5 is awful such that a bow helps, other than the gimmick way of killing the 5-3 boss. I guess if you just want to be extra cautious about not getting piled on, but most of the time you can down enemies in just a hit or two, save for the larger ones.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 11, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

henpod posted:

I call every nameable playable character George. Sometimes for replays, Jorge. For female characters, Georgette.

I was tired of coming up with dumb names for every game, so now I just push the same weary, tired, normally named person through every rpg. George has Seen Some poo poo.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
These Devs are awful..so many little pots to break loudly when I'm terrified in the prison of hope, hearing screams and Bells. gently caress, those enemies are terrifying and seeing their silhouettes in the lightning is something else.

Also their magic hurts. Is there a good shield against magic?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I call every nameable playable character George. Sometimes for replays, Jorge. For female characters, Georgette.

I was tired of coming up with dumb names for every game, so now I just push the same weary, tired, normally named person through every rpg. George has Seen Some poo poo.

I always struggled coming up with cool names in RPGs, then I started naming characters after chemo drugs. Now I have characters like Oxaliplatin and Taxotere

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When I first got the lava bow, it was doing poo poo for damage. Then I found out I missed the notice that my stats were too low to use it appropriately. It was funny to level up and would I put up one point of dex to see left hand weapon 2 to jump up 100 points!

With minimum stats met the lava bow is extremely good. I use heavy arrows from patches which usually makes certain enemies die with 2 hits instead of 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

henpod posted:

These Devs are awful..so many little pots to break loudly when I'm terrified in the prison of hope, hearing screams and Bells. gently caress, those enemies are terrifying and seeing their silhouettes in the lightning is something else.

The best anti-magic shield is dropped by the 5-3 boss, but that's pretty far out of your way. You might have picked up a Shade Heater Shield in 2-2 that has increased magic block due to the Shade upgrade path. If you're feeling extra annoyed with world 3, you can go finish world 4 first, using the Cloudstone you get a lot of in 4-3 to make any non-unique shield a "Shade" shield.

seiferguy posted:

When I first got the lava bow, it was doing poo poo for damage. Then I found out I missed the notice that my stats were too low to use it appropriately. It was funny to level up and would I put up one point of dex to see left hand weapon 2 to jump up 100 points!

With minimum stats met the lava bow is extremely good. I use heavy arrows from patches which usually makes certain enemies die with 2 hits instead of 3.

Aha, that's a good point. henpod: are you sure you have the minimum stats to use the Lava Bow? Your Dexterity might be too low. That might be why it's doing poo poo for damage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

henpod posted:

The best defense against the prison Cthulu dudes are a good backstab

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I think my stats are ok, I don't get the warning when I try to equip it :).

There's a blue man in a cell and I think he wants to hurt me.

Edit - oh, he's friendly. Also, I just encountered a big horrible meatball.

henpod fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 11, 2021

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Look at the item info and check to be sure.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Oh, poo poo, I only have 12 dex. Ok.

Also,.got killed by a statue throwing arrows! Hooray, now I gotta kill horrible cthulu priests again.

henpod fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

Oh, poo poo, I only have 12 dex. Ok.

Also,.got killed by a statue throwing arrows! Hooray, now I gotta kill horrible cthulu priests again.

theres probably an alternate way past that statue but i dont know it because i roll through the arrows perfectly every time

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Farmed mr reaper and got my dex to 16. Bow feels strong again, all is well in the world.

Gonna go and roll like poo poo through the statue.

Edit - it's a real dick move to out s hole in the ground that you can fall and die from in a dark room. I don't feel bad about cheesing and farming, the game is cheesing me back!

henpod fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

henpod posted:

Farmed mr reaper and got my dex to 16. Bow feels strong again, all is well in the world.

Gonna go and roll like poo poo through the statue.

Edit - it's a real dick move to out s hole in the ground that you can fall and die from in a dark room. I don't feel bad about cheesing and farming, the game is cheesing me back!

Rolling through the statue's arrows is not the "main" way of progressing. You can take the key you find at the start of the bridge and explore elsewhere.

That said, rolling through the arrows is easier than it looks and pulling it off for the first time is a really freeing feeling.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Harrow posted:

Rolling through the statue's arrows is not the "main" way of progressing. You can take the key you find at the start of the bridge and explore elsewhere.

That said, rolling through the arrows is easier than it looks and pulling it off for the first time is a really freeing feeling.

There's also a trophy for it now! I'd actually recommend rolling through for the trophy, turning the machine off, then immediately doubling back and doing the rest of the level the normal way :v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Magus42 posted:

Nope. Meat Cleaver can't be upgraded at all :)

...that is the most broken poo poo in the world, holy crap.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you're a magic character, then rolling through the arrows is also way easier than trying to fight past those Cthulhu motherfuckers.

also the game owes me that for hiding the key to floor one on that motherfucking innocuous wall in the hallway

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yup, rolled the arrows, no worries: And now I have all the keys, so I can go free that blue dude.

Also, I learned that red ghost fellows can backstab and kill you in one go.

Picking up all kinds of weapons, but my lava bow (kills Davy-Jones dudes in 2 hits) and meat cleaver are making me feel safe.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

henpod posted:

And now I have all the keys, so I can go free that blue dude.

oh sweet summer child

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

henpod posted:

Yup, rolled the arrows, no worries: And now I have all the keys, so I can go free that blue dude.

Not quite.

The key to his cell is in 3-2, and only if you have pure white world tendency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Oh, well he can stay in there then. I might kill him through the bars.

I hate that guy in the Nexus, if you browse his shop and not buy anything he gets all sniffy and says 'you won't last long down here'. What a dick, I've bought plenty of things from him. I like the other guy way more who encourages me to not let them take my good heart.

I wonder, what happens if I kill everyone in the nexus. Obviously, I won't be able to buy stuff, but is there anything interesting?

Edit - by the way, if I'm spamming the thread or bumping it too often, I can wait a while and ask them all at once.

Opinions on horrid levels and my stress levels will remain.

henpod fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 11, 2021