Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Natalie Fartman posted:

I applied for universal credit yesterday

My life of being a sickie grifter begins, all because my employer refuses to do furlough this time around. I think he hoped that not paying me would mean I would keep working through a pandemic even though I should shield.

Statutory sick pay and UC it is.

That sucks, sorry. gently caress the government for creating this situation, and gently caress your boss for being a turd

Did he fire you or did you quit? Either way you might have a case (although tribunals are horrible and it is a completely valid decision not to pursue if it will be harmful to your health)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Laura k is banned from this thread

I doubt she's a goon tbh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

most goons are keener newshounds, yeab

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My phone autocorrects Boris to virus sometimes and I don't blame it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cyril Sneeer posted:

I doubt she's a goon tbh

same but also posting tweets or things featuring her is banned. peston too

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

😸🙂🤷‍♀️💪😅😊😸💃🤯👉😜💃😸😎👴📍🙉🐦

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Nursery isn't closing! Whoop!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Today I was waiting outside a restaurant for 2 guys to leave who'd went in first to pickup a takeaway. They weren't wearing masks and one of them leaned out the door and coughed at me.

Like it wasn't intentional and he was just coughing outside but jeeze

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Natalie Fartman posted:

My life of being a sickie grifter begins, all because my employer refuses to do furlough this time around. I think he hoped that not paying me would mean I would keep working through a pandemic even though I should shield.

What is the downside of doing furlough to the company? Like... isn't it the gov that's paying? This sounds like just complete and utter spite unless I have entirely misunderstood furlough.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That's what I thought too. My girlfriend's place refused to do her. Maybe there's some implications in other financial stuff, but the reasoning they gave was as far as I could tell was some wishy washy it didn't seem right to take this money garbage. And they're an arts organisation mostly funded by government and charities anyway.

Ridiculous but she wouldn't hear a bad word said about them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Got my traffic lights setup today. As I was leaving this afternoon an Audi drove straight through a red light. I took it really personally and threw my arms up at them in contempt.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Natalie Fartman posted:

are you still doing paintings?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Natalie Fartman posted:

take everything you can get imo - it's not your fault

did they make you redundant?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ewan posted:

What is the downside of doing furlough to the company? Like... isn't it the gov that's paying? This sounds like just complete and utter spite unless I have entirely misunderstood furlough.

There are multiple reasons, which are equally bad as an excuse:

-They don't want to pay the remaining 20% (they don't have to if furloughed person agrees the cut) and NI/Pension contributions which is like, what, 50 quid tops.

-Force NF (or anyone, for that matter) to work.

-Be that petty and make the person quit on their own to save severance.

There are more reasons but basically any business that refuses to furlough someone ordered to shelter is doing some petty/shady poo poo but might not necessarily illegal or too much effort to chase.

The CJRS (aka corona furlough) is optional and employers can opt to SSP instead of furlough.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 12, 2021

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

CancerCakes posted:

That sucks, sorry. gently caress the government for creating this situation, and gently caress your boss for being a turd

Did he fire you or did you quit? Either way you might have a case (although tribunals are horrible and it is a completely valid decision not to pursue if it will be harmful to your health)

Lol I have not been fired and I have not left, much to his annoyance. I have been there more than 2 years so he can't fire me without grounds, and legitimately using my SSP is not grounds.

He did however insinuate that if I used SSP for more than a couple of months I should do the right thing and quit. All goodwill I had for him has been utterly lost.

Gasmask posted:

are you still doing paintings?

Selling paintings at the same time might be an issue as claiming UC but I'll work that out. I made the choice to get a low but guaranteed amount of income over risking sporadic painting sales, plus I'm not set up as self employed yet at all. Depending on how the next few months go that may change.

Also what Galewolf said. My boss doesn't want the 'risk' of furloughing me because he's worried about extra costs around it and also, concerned that he will end up with too many staff on furlough. We're an essential business and half his staff have been told to shield. One quit instead of going on SSP, but as a kindness to HIM and not out of anger. The other two are just working.

I think he thought I'd work if I didn't get furlough. He was wrong.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

are you making more than £1000 in a tax year from your art? if not you dont have to declare it as it counts as a hobby

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I wish I could make £1000 a year from my hobby.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Is masturbation a hobby? Asking for a friend

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Salisbury Snape posted:

Is masturbation a hobby? Asking for a friend

Only if you don't make more than £1000 from it per year.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I'm regretting starting my onlyfans

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

try branching out into propellers and turbines also

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Guys, uhm, did Angela Merkel took the sun with her after Brexit? I can't tell if it's 11 a.m. or 11 p.m rn ;_;

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Natalie Fartman posted:

Selling paintings at the same time might be an issue as claiming UC but I'll work that out. I made the choice to get a low but guaranteed amount of income over risking sporadic painting sales, plus I'm not set up as self employed yet at all. Depending on how the next few months go that may change.

just meant that i'd like to buy one if it would help out :3:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

are you making more than £1000 in a tax year from your art? if not you dont have to declare it as it counts as a hobby
would love to know how to live off 1000 a year, asking for a friend (the friend is me)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Galewolf posted:

Guys, uhm, did Angela Merkel took the sun with her after Brexit? I can't tell if it's 11 a.m. or 11 p.m rn ;_;

Manchester stole it, sorry.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

It's proper gorgeous sunny here in Liverpool right now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Whybird posted:

Only if you don't make more than £1000 from it per year.

otherwise it's just sparkling genital stimulation

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Manchester stole it, sorry.

*squints eyes* Northerners :argh:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Galewolf posted:

*squints eyes* Northerners :argh:

Aren't we all northerners to you?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You are all southerners to me. Except maybe jose. Tis sunny here in the borderlands.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Woo, just had it confirmed that I have zero work from any of my contracts until at least late March

Will be milking UC, bleeding savings and probably having to move out then

Been applying for other work anyway and heard squat back

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Today I'm trying to teach my 8 year old addition and subtraction of hundreds and thousands, attempting to work on my own uni projects, and having to do all the reference documents for a new tenancy as we're moving house in a couple of weeks (assuming that we don't fail the referencing)

loving kill me please

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve applied for some jobs in Italy. What’s the crack with visas in this post brexit hell??? Is there a year of right to work extension or something?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah. You're a proper foreigner now.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve applied for some jobs in Italy. What’s the crack with visas in this post brexit hell??? Is there a year of right to work extension or something?

From what I remember reading a BBC summary: it's still possible to work overseas, theres just more paperwork involved (probably for both parties) so I could easily see a European company weighing up candidates and going nah we will take the french person, less hassle

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Collateral posted:

This is post ironic parody right? RIGHT?

58% of the Uk public blame... the Uk public for the mess that we in. It's a strain of masochism peculiar to these cold and windswept isles.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Argh

Idrk what to do

Lost contracts when UK industry all but closed down
Had to shield
No govt help for limited company directors
Tried to leave the country
Applied to work in USA - no visas being allowed
Applied to work in China - no flights allowed
Applied to work in Europe - too much hassle for post brexit
Applied for basic rear end jobs but my cv means no interest

Feel proper trapped

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

el dingo posted:

From what I remember reading a BBC summary: it's still possible to work overseas, theres just more paperwork involved (probably for both parties) so I could easily see a European company weighing up candidates and going nah we will take the french person, less hassle

The usual EU options for Non-EU people are (in general):

-You have to have a job contract from an employer. In some cases/countries, they might be asked to prove why they didn't hire a local professional.

-Startup/Investor: Lmao, if anyone had like a million Euros to open up a business in Germany we wouldn't be having this conversation.

-Study in the EU country (masters, Phd) and get a post-study work-permit

-Marry a citizen :heysexy:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Argh

Idrk what to do

Lost contracts when UK industry all but closed down
Had to shield
No govt help for limited company directors
Tried to leave the country
Applied to work in USA - no visas being allowed
Applied to work in China - no flights allowed
Applied to work in Europe - too much hassle for post brexit
Applied for basic rear end jobs but my cv means no interest

Feel proper trapped

Aye mate can very much relate, I had a job offer and a visa in progress for back in New Zealand when the world turned to poo poo

Was desperate to escape Brexit/Boris Britain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, Germany closed the work visa applications for UK citizens due to MUTANT Roni like yesterday and I imagine the rest of the EU will do the same/already did.