Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

I thought that the "declaration of war was for ceremonial/spiritual/legal purposes" was always what was meant, going back to Plutarch.

Yeah, the fact that Sparta was, based on the archaeology, in a continuous economic decline from like 550 BCE until the Romans took over tells us that we shouldn't expect their economic decision making to be particularly good.

Plus given the history of the US after it banned the importing of slavery (and thus couldn't rely on other countries producing slaves for it), having death patrols around for slaves seems to be the sort of economic negative that slavers are willing to tolerate to protect the social order.
Yeah, I figure this is the difference between "the helots were in generational misery" and "the Spartans would have run out of helots as a labor force in a few years if ALL of this was being done ALL the time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I believe there was a Roman estate management text that suggested that slaves be pushed as hard as possible then changed out every two years

Written by Cato the Elder! He suggested that once they were too weak to work, you try to sell them to some other chump if possible, and stop feeding them if not.

Also re: Sparta, IIRC the land is owned by the family but the slaves are owned by the state, so if they die you can just order up some new ones by sucking up to the kings.

sullat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 7, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
From what I've read it wasn't that the Spartans were going around actively killing Helots, aside from maybe the Crypteia, but that they could kill Helots they thought were being suspicious, which were generally the ones who weren't working.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Tulip posted:

I thought that the "declaration of war was for ceremonial/spiritual/legal purposes" was always what was meant, going back to Plutarch.

Yeah, the fact that Sparta was, based on the archaeology, in a continuous economic decline from like 550 BCE until the Romans took over tells us that we shouldn't expect their economic decision making to be particularly good.

Plus given the history of the US after it banned the importing of slavery (and thus couldn't rely on other countries producing slaves for it), having death patrols around for slaves seems to be the sort of economic negative that slavers are willing to tolerate to protect the social order.

It's not like they had a quota and you don't have to kill many to instill fear into a population. The actual spartan citizens was 5% of the total population of sparta so it would be a full time killing job to make a noticeable dent in the helot population. Not that it's any comfort to the helots.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
So, it's gonna be a while till I'll have enough time and mental energy to finish my effort-posts on how Finland came to be. I dun hosed up and agreed to teach some extra courses, and the next few months are gonna be a bit tough. I can make no promises if and when I find time to do it, but I swear I'll get it done eventually. Sorry about that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One curious result of the spartans being so obsessed with dying in battle was that spartan women inherited a lot of land. I've read that historians estimates that spartan women owned 40%of the land.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

sullat posted:

Written by Cato the Elder! He suggested that once they were too weak to work, you try to sell them to some other chump if possible, and stop feeding them if not.

Also re: Sparta, IIRC the land is owned by the family but the slaves are owned by the state, so if they die you can just order up some new ones by sucking up to the kings.

Were the slaves specifically the remit of the kings? Otherwise you would be more likely to be sucking up to the ephors.

Weka fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 8, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was the Spartan system chattel slavery

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I don't know how freely they could trade Helots around, but they did have a caste system that developed because they weren't producing enough Spartiates. One of the problems was that there were ways for Spartiates to drop out of that status but no ways to be promoted into it, and if one member of a family was so disgraced it'd affect the marriage prospects of their relatives. So in between the Spartiates and Helots there were people born from mixed relationships, or descended from them, as well as resident non-citizens. These groups performed economic and military functions that the Spartiates didn't, or couldn't do. I think the demographic problems got so bad that they eventually started freeing Helots who performed military service.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

zoux posted:

Not technically I guess if they're owned by the state.
E: this applies to helots. There is apparently some debate as to whether spartiates had regular chattel slaves as well.

Weka fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 8, 2021

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm going to dig up a few things from a few weeks ago as I'm catching up here, like a huge rear end in a top hat:

Cessna posted:

Feldgrau uniform. Identical rank insignia. Similar shooter's lanyard. Similar collar litzen. Identical pockets. Similar cut. Similar pattern "cuff title." That's a Wehrmacht uniform with updates. They slightly redesigned the uniforms, then issued hundreds of thousands of them.

Since they're redesigning them anyway, why not make them look a bit less Wehrmacht-y? I doubt they saved any money there.

When it came time to create an East German army the SEP was very conscious of the fact they wanted to distance themselves from the Soviet Union. So instead of taking their military traditions from the RKKA, they decided to draw on existing pre-Wehrmacht German traditions. Like the Reichsheer.

Who look like, well, this:

Yeah turns out the Nazis also really liked drawing on German military traditions. Who knew.

(Edit: the early 56-pattern NVA parade uniforms used the tall collars with litzen, while the later 74-pattern parade uniform is more like the Bundeswehr with the the litzen on the lapels.)

White Coke posted:

Why do tanks have smoothbore guns?

Cessna posted:

Because muzzle velocities have gone up so much that today's projectiles will quickly wear out or damage rifling. Instead, projectiles are spun by fins.

Edit: Also, some guns, especially for the Russians, are also used to fire ATGMs.

The projectiles aren't spun at all: the modern projectiles you want to optimize performance for are HEAT and APFSDS, which are both adversely affected by spinning. HEAT, as other mentioned, has degraded penetration performance when spun, while APFSDS is a long rod, and long rods are incredibly difficult to keep stable when spun (whereas it works fine on wide, stubby shells). Using fins to stabilize unspun projectiles is genuinely better than spin-stabilization with HEAT and long rod penetrators. (As for wear, apparently the British rifled L30 gun actually had less wear than a comparable smoothbore gun, though I've not yet been able to figure out why.)

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if Scandinavia would've suffered less overall if they held down a united front against the Germans.

The invasion of Norway was in many ways a ridiculous gamble. The invasion called for a massive diversion of forces, Denmark was captured as a staging area for aircraft, and much of the invasion force was sent to Norway on one-way tickets. Paratroopers had to capture airfields so their transports and air cover wouldn't end up ditching into a nearby mountain. The Norwegian government has been raked over the coals for their weak attempts at mobilization, but another 24 hours of delay (from, say, the Danes surrendering a little later) to the German plans might have (in a Gay Black Nygaardsvold way) resulted in the Germans, instead of running into an barely partially mobilized force in disarray, running into a prepared and mobilized force.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 9, 2021

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

Helots definitely weren't, but the Spartans kept other slaves

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

The invasion of Norway was in many ways a ridiculous gamble. The invasion called for a massive diversion of forces, Denmark was captured as a staging area for aircraft, and much of the invasion force was sent to Norway on one-way tickets. Paratroopers had to capture airfields so their transports and air cover wouldn't end up ditching into a nearby mountain. The Norwegian government has been raked over the coals for their weak attempts at mobilization, but another 24 hours of delay (from, say, the Danes surrendering a little later) to the German plans might have (in a Gay Black Nygaardsvold way) resulted in the Germans, instead of running into an barely partially mobilized force in disarray, running into a prepared and mobilized force.

Not to mention that the British invasion of the Norwegian coast got delayed by a few days wich let the Germans get there first. If they had run into British troops already on the shore and possibly engaging Norwegian forces, the result would have been ... Messy ( not to mention the possibility of the Brit force being slightly less delayed and both forces trying to land at the same place at the same time. The word clusterfuck springs to mind)

Arban fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 9, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm going to dig up a few things from a few weeks ago as I'm catching up here, like a huge rear end in a top hat

How dare you bring up old things in the history thread.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arban posted:

Not to mention that the British invasion of the Norwegian coast got delayed by a few days wich let the Germans get there first. If they had run into British troops already on the shore and possibly engaging Norwegian forces, the result would have been ... Messy ( not to mention the possibility of the Brit force being slightly less delayed and both forces trying to land at the same place at the same time. The word clusterfuck springs to mind)

A three way Britain vs Norway vs Germany battle really should have been a Battlefield V map.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It was a constant thing throughout the war but not much use or value. The main benefit would be to land stricken aircraft in Soviet areas to prevent capture or death at German or local hands. Say you bomb Berlin in a B-17 by later 1944, you're better off continuing to Russia if the state of your aircraft is that bad. Otherwise you try to ditch in Sweden, Switzerland, or friendly lines.

It was more "popular" for raids into Romania/ex-Yugoslavia due to the distances involved, from, say, Lower Italy/Sicily.

Edit: It also let the Soviets investigate Allied tech without the constraints of Lend Lease, where tech was withheld at times.

What happened to pilots that landed in switzerland? Imprisoned I guess? Did it happen to both sides ie could their be both axis and allied airmen in a swiss pow camp

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

What happened to pilots that landed in switzerland? Imprisoned I guess? Did it happen to both sides ie could their be both axis and allied airmen in a swiss pow camp

Anyone landing in a neutral country was interned and potentially traded for resources/aid/etc, or casually 'escaped' to fight again. Depends on the side and country they landed in.

Not sure about what happened if/when two opposite sides were in the same camp/prison. I assume they just wouldn't do it to begin with but I can't say I've read anything on the topic, much less heard of any book that covers it.

The likelyhood seems low for both sides to be in Switzerland, if only because they defended their air space and the Germans/Italians didn't fly into it very often, from what I recall. Whereas an Allied bomber would purposefully go to Switzerland if it was their best bet at staying alive/not being captured.

Sure, you might still be imprisoned, but at least its not German jailors.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Milo and POTUS posted:

Internees were held until the end of the war.

Mark Felton did a short video on the incidents between the US and the Swiss, and while it doesn't mention what happened to German personnel he does bring up the case of a plane forced down with advanced radar, that was destroyed under German supervision in exchange for a shipment of Me-109s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILxoQyKzDg

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They could still be pretty unpleasant (one of the camps was run by a Swiss Nazi):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wauwilermoos_internment_camp#Conditions,_human_rights_violations,_and_inspections

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 9, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

Internees were held until the end of the war.

Mark Felton did a short video on the incidents between the US and the Swiss, and while it doesn't mention what happened to German personnel he does bring up the case of a plane forced down with advanced radar, that was destroyed under German supervision in exchange for a shipment of Me-109s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILxoQyKzDg

They could still be pretty unpleasant (one of the camps was run by a Swiss Nazi):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wauwilermoos_internment_camp#Conditions,_human_rights_violations,_and_inspections

loving hell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Milhist Thread - Hate is indifferent

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are any FUSAG newsreels known to still exist?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anyone landing in a neutral country was interned and potentially traded for resources/aid/etc, or casually 'escaped' to fight again. Depends on the side and country they landed in.

Not sure about what happened if/when two opposite sides were in the same camp/prison. I assume they just wouldn't do it to begin with but I can't say I've read anything on the topic, much less heard of any book that covers it.

The likelyhood seems low for both sides to be in Switzerland, if only because they defended their air space and the Germans/Italians didn't fly into it very often, from what I recall. Whereas an Allied bomber would purposefully go to Switzerland if it was their best bet at staying alive/not being captured.

The Allied bombers also flew to Switzerland because the lit Swiss cities were easier to find, and a few of them were bombed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_incidents_in_Switzerland_in_World_War_II

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This reminds me of the Irish policy regarding downed pilots, which was, broadly, that if they were on a non-combatant mission they would be released, and if they were on a combatant mission they would be interned. This was considerably easier to do for Allied pilots, since they could claim to have gotten lost or perhaps be ferrying planes. This was much harder for the Germans, and so a number of German pilots were hosted (and the Germans were billed).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warden posted:

So, it's gonna be a while till I'll have enough time and mental energy to finish my effort-posts on how Finland came to be. I dun hosed up and agreed to teach some extra courses, and the next few months are gonna be a bit tough. I can make no promises if and when I find time to do it, but I swear I'll get it done eventually. Sorry about that.

It's been really interesting! I love this thread for teaching me a lot about conflicts and historical events I've never heard of.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

The projectiles aren't spun at all: the modern projectiles you want to optimize performance for are HEAT and APFSDS, which are both adversely affected by spinning.

No, sorry - that's incorrect.

APFSDS rounds are still spun, they just aren't spun as fast as a rifled round.

I can see if I can find some old gunnery manuals in my garage, but in the meantime, from Wikipedia:

quote:

The spin from standard rifling decreases the performance of these rounds (rifling diverts some of the linear kinetic energy to rotational kinetic energy, thus decreasing the round's velocity and impact energy), and very high rotation on a fin-stabilized projectile can dramatically increase aerodynamic drag, further reducing impact velocity. For these reasons, APFSDS projectiles are generally fired from smoothbore guns, a practice that has been taken up for tank guns by China, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, France, Germany, Pakistan, Turkey, Russia, and the United States. Nevertheless, in the early development of APFSDS ammunition, existing rifled barrel cannons were used, (and are still in use), such as the 105 mm M68 cannon mounted on the M60A3 main battle tank or the British 120 mm Royal Ordnance L30 of the Challenger 2 tank. To reduce the spin rate when using a rifled barrel, a "slip obturator", (slip obturation ring), is incorporated that allows the high pressure propellant gasses to seal, yet not transfer the total spin rate of the rifling into the projectile. The projectile still exits the barrel with some residual spinning, but at an acceptably low rate. In addition, some spin rate is beneficial to a fin-stabilized projectile, averaging out aerodynamic imbalances and improving accuracy. Even smooth-bore fired APFSDS projectiles incorporate fins that are slightly canted to provide some spin rate during flight; and very low twist rifled barrels have also been developed for the express purpose of firing APFSDS ammunition.

Bolding mine.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 9, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uh, this might not have been as good idea as you would think. Warning, the Wiki link below contains descriptions of human rights abuses that you might not want to read if you are in a sensitive mood, suffice it to say that the camp was led by a sadistic Nazi.

quote:

Wauwilermoos housed military internees of various nations, including England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Russia, Yugoslavia, and the USA.

Béguin, who has been labelled "a disgrace to Switzerland", [11] was appointed at his own request as the commander of the camp. The sanitary facilities were dysfunctional, and Béguin stole the food packages and harassed the Allied internees.[12] "He was a Nazi, not only a Nazi sympathizer" Robert Cardenas told CBS 8 News in a 2013 interview. Cardenas, a retired US Air Force brigadier general, was a captain in the 44th Bomb Group interned in Switzerland in 1944. While Cardenas was not himself sent to Wauwilermoos, he did visit it and witnessed the camp's abysmal conditions firsthand. In his recollection:

quote:

the beds were wooden planks or some of them were only straw on the floor ... American prisoners were subjected to physical and sexual abuse, starvation, freezing, disease-ridden conditions and virtually no hygiene facilities ... [the camp] was exactly like, if not worse than, any POW camp in Germany, it was horrible.[9]

A US military memo of 1944 mentioned the conditions in Wauwilermoos as "worse than in enemy prison camps" and confirmed the first-hand impressions. The "meals consisted of watered-down soups and scorched stale bread". The sanitary circumstances were subpar: for instance, the latrines were just trenches, very unsanitary, and to clean them the trenches were hosed down every few weeks. Reportedly, "lice and rats were everywhere and the men got sick with boils due to the unsanitary conditions". They "also lost weight, mostly about 40 pounds". Béguin castigated American internees by "subjecting them to cruel punishments and solitary confinements for minor infractions". The soldiers also were "imprisoned a total of 7 months"; the Hague Convention allowed only 30 days confinement.[20] In addition, the internees did not know the length of their sentences.[10]

Captain André Béguin was a member of the National Union. He had previously lived in Munich, Germany. "He was known to wear the Nazi uniform and to sign his correspondence with 'Heil Hitler'".[25] He was investigated by the Swiss counter-intelligence service for his pro-Nazi political views. Nevertheless, he was retained in command at Wauwilermoos. While in command Béguin "publicly berated Americans, sentenced them to solitary confinement, and denied them Red Cross parcels and mail".[11][25]

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

No, sorry - that's incorrect.

APFSDS rounds are still spun, they just aren't spun as fast as a rifled round.

I can see if I can find some old gunnery manuals in my garage, but in the meantime, from Wikipedia:

Bolding mine.

Thanks, actually some stuff in there I didn't know. So the full answer is really something more like:

"Modern performance-optimized APFSDS and HEAT is adversely affected by the high spin rates typically imparted by rifled barrels. To reduce the spin rates to non-detrimental levels, smoothbore barrels are used to remove spin entirely and a very small amount of spin is then added back through spin-inducing fins."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

"Modern performance-optimized APFSDS and HEAT is adversely affected by the high spin rates typically imparted by rifled barrels. To reduce the spin rates to non-detrimental levels, smoothbore barrels are used to remove spin entirely and a very small amount of spin is then added back through spin-inducing fins."

As I said in my initial post:

Cessna posted:

Because muzzle velocities have gone up so much that today's projectiles will quickly wear out or damage rifling. Instead, projectiles are spun by fins.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

As I said in my initial post:

Which is critically incomplete: the need for modern high-end projectiles to be spun at low rather than high rates was instrumental in making smoothbore barrels a worthwhile endeavour. They're not made smoothbore because the projectiles can be spun by their fins instead of by rifling (thus alleviating the need for rifling, allowing a low-cost solution to be applied), but made smoothbore precisely to avoid spinning the projectiles too much (thus making the low-cost solution also the best one). This might seem a terribly nitpicky distinction but I stand by making it this staunchly because this kind of detail understanding is very important when getting into the weeds of the technical side of tanks and ballistics.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PeterCat posted:

Here's a WWII US Army training film covering tank driving. Of particular interest to me is the starting of the diesel engine. Apparently it was done with a shotgun shell, as seen at 10:48.

Also, the tank commander communicated with the driver by putting his foot between the driver's shoulder blades and pressing harder to go faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-_23PnLu8&t=648s

Also, a training film on tank gunnery, detailing what weapons to use in a particular scenario. Lots of cute stop motion tank action on the sand table, as well as actual footage of M4s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIfooKL4tY

cool videos!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nessus posted:

This reminds me of the Irish policy regarding downed pilots, which was, broadly, that if they were on a non-combatant mission they would be released, and if they were on a combatant mission they would be interned. This was considerably easier to do for Allied pilots, since they could claim to have gotten lost or perhaps be ferrying planes. This was much harder for the Germans, and so a number of German pilots were hosted (and the Germans were billed).
Folk legend has it that the German pilots were given a five bob note and sent down to the local cinema on the weekends and enjoyed the experience so much that many of them just decided to stay in Kildare after the war. Co-incidentally weekends are when American and British pilots, who were not allowed to mingle with the local population, would "escape" from the Curragh camps and make a run for the border up north.

And while we're on Irish military history, courtesy of someone on Facebook: the Irish Air Corps Apprentice mechanics class of 1970.

Apparently this was taken on their second day at Baldonnel, and not everybody had figured out what cap badges were for. My dad is in the front row, and I am relentlessly giving him poo poo for letting his class look so sloppy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Which is critically incomplete:

FFS.

You come in and try to correct me, but what you said is wrong. No, I didn't cover everything in my initial post, but it was a message board post and what I said was correct - unlike your "correction."

Can you just stop responding to me, please?

LatwPIAT posted:

This might seem a terribly nitpicky distinction but I stand by making it this staunchly because this kind of detail understanding is very important when getting into the weeds of the technical side of tanks and ballistics.

If you insist on nitpicking, please be correct when you do so. Better yet, please stop.

Edit: Sorry to be pissy about this, but this seems to happen a lot. I'm always up to talk, but "but actually" corrections that are wrong are really annoying.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 11, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I hate to get in the middle of this argument, but it's aroused my curiosity. Did they realize that having some spin was beneficial to fin stabilized rounds after they started switching to smoothbores, or was it something they realized before switching, hence those attachments to make them spin less in rifled barrels, and they just switched to smoothbore barrels firing fins with slight angles later to save on cost?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEAT doesn't like spinning at all, and I believe HEAT was the dominant antitank round until composite armour started making it less effective and APFSDS overtook it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

White Coke posted:

I hate to get in the middle of this argument, but it's aroused my curiosity. Did they realize that having some spin was beneficial to fin stabilized rounds after they started switching to smoothbores, or was it something they realized before switching, hence those attachments to make them spin less in rifled barrels, and they just switched to smoothbore barrels firing fins with slight angles later to save on cost?

Having some spin being good is somewhat obvious, gyroscopic stabilization is the whole point of rifling to begin with; it seems all but certain any gun/projectile designer would have been aware of this.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

The switch from rifled to smoothbore barrels was a slow and gradual process (I'm pretty sure there's still countries that have the majority of their tanks use rifled barrels) but it seems that by the time it happened it was known that you wanted some spin. I've just skimmed a 1966 text, Design For Control Of Projectile Flight Characteristics, from the US Army Material Command, that notes as a matter of fact that completely getting rid of spin is both undesirable and almost impossible. This might possibly have been a late realization coming out of some experiences with the abominable 152 mm gun on the M551 Sheridan, but as far as I can tell it's some fairly simple aerodynamic principles at work and the article seems to treat it as fairly old hat. I also can't speak to the exact course of events in the development of modern smoothbore guns in the Soviet Union for the T-64, but it follows that if it's basically impossible to completely remove spin on a projectile that the Soviet Union would have made their first smoothbore gun knowing they'd have to put up with a little spin.

PittTheElder posted:

Having some spin being good is somewhat obvious, gyroscopic stabilization is the whole point of rifling to begin with; it seems all but certain any gun/projectile designer would have been aware of this.

Slow spin is good for fin-stabilized projectiles for entirely different reasons than fast spin is good for spin-stabilized projectiles, though. Fin-stabilized projectiles are already stable, but are spun to average out slight imperfections in the fins that cause excessive drift.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Soviet HEAT grenades

Queue: T-34-85M, Myths of Soviet tank building: interbellum tanks, Light Tank M24, German anti-tank rifles, PT-76 modernizations, ISU-122 front line impressions, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, T-80 T-62 T-64 T-72A comparative trials, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
BT-7M/A-8 trials
Voroshilovets tractor trials
T-55 underwater driving equipment

:911:
Light Tank T37
Light Tank T41
Medium Tank M46
Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard

:brexit:
Pre-war and early war British tank building

:godwin:
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
German tank building trends at the end of WW2
Pz.Kpfw.III/IV
Evolution of German tank observation devices
E-50 and E-75 development NEW

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 11, 2021

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
While we're talking about APFSDS properties out of the muzzle, apparently one of the interesting features of modern fin rounds is that they're wobbly when they come out of the barrel and need some time to straighten out. This means that at very short ranges they'll impact armour at a slight angle to their direction of flight, which is bad for them, so your greatest effective penetration is actually out at a hundred or a couple of hundred metres from the muzzle.

Hegel, did your guys do penetration testing to try to work out Better Gonnes or was it only for proofing breastplates and suchlike to get Better Armour.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PittTheElder posted:

The problem is that as projectile length:diameter
increases the spin rate needed to gyroscopically stabilize it becomes higher, and as long rod penetrators want to be all length and no width you’d have to spin them at impractically high rates for stabilization.

The slight spin rate imparted by their fins doesn’t stabilize them gyroscopically, it lets them rotate enough so that any aerodynamic asymmetries are rendered symmetrical to the flight path and won’t lead to a constant deviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

FrangibleCover posted:

While we're talking about APFSDS properties out of the muzzle, apparently one of the interesting features of modern fin rounds is that they're wobbly when they come out of the barrel and need some time to straighten out. This means that at very short ranges they'll impact armour at a slight angle to their direction of flight, which is bad for them, so your greatest effective penetration is actually out at a hundred or a couple of hundred metres from the muzzle.

Hegel, did your guys do penetration testing to try to work out Better Gonnes or was it only for proofing breastplates and suchlike to get Better Armour.
i'd have to imagine a modern armor vs. armor engagement at 100 meters or less is not very desirable for a number of reasons.