Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well at least something is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Is it, though? Looks like more walking through loading screens to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is it, though? Looks like more walking through loading screens to me.

Loading screens can provide valuable tips and load interesting new things instead of nothing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So the new information learned is that Snout is clearly some kind of dream sage, which all of us guessed ages ago. So far there's still no advancement in any plot aside from that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nighthand posted:

Ah good, a giant psychedelic snout. I bet it's deaf too so it can use magic text to talk.

I feel like it's a 50/50 shot between "talks directly into his mind" or that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is the face meant to be so obviously mimicking 8D

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
How do the past 2 comics relate in any fashion?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's all dream realm poo poo so it doesn't need to make any sense, is what I assume Mookie is telling himself.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
My first immediate thought is 'oh, that's neat, I like a bit of semi-psychedelic bullshit' and then I look again and realise everything about it is poo poo. Look at that metaphysical flower, everything about it feels off, from the trembling of the outline to the weird line widths to those lovely squiggles in the petals.

And you can't draw those jellyfish doing anything other than floating there? There's no sense of motion, which is dumb since part of what makes jellyfish so strange and wonderful is how they look when they're in motion.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yet more evidence he's been reading Kill Six Billion Demons and going 'psssh, I can do that' - or looked at the Galaxy Brain meme and went 'psssh I can do that' really it could be either.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like it's a 50/50 shot between "talks directly into his mind" or that.

I feel like, in the hands of a good writer, this would be an interesting time to break the “no dialogue rule” as conversations with gods and god-likes should be clearly non-normal and unimpeded by physical restrictions.

I expect that, by contrast, Mookie will cleave hard and fast to his “no dialogue” rules and this god-thing will communicate by some writing or telepathy that is indistinguishable from normal dialogue other than being done in some way that is technically not speech bubbles, just like every other time Snout needed to convey feelings or exchange information.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Maybe it's the covid and subsequent slight oxygen deprivation but the god snout thing has a cute face, although it also reminds me of a
lunarian pup.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I expect it to actually just be a meaningless statue and the black orb-thing with the orbiting globs to be a container holding the ink witch for some reason and that any actual conversation either happens with her or with Arudak explaining why she's there.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The Snouthead

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ah, good, the Infinity Snout

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is just like the Kids in the Hall sketch where the guy with a cabbage for a head dies, goes to heaven, and sees that God has a cabbage on His head too

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I'm pretty sure I hit this panel a bunch of times in Devils Crush or Demons Tilt. Can't remember which one

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's amazing how quickly the eldritch, trippy aspects of these last few pages get utterly destroyed with the addition of mookie's cartoon-style face. Instantly turned from somewhat disturbing (for as good as mookie can do that - an attempt was at least made and registered) to unintentionally funny.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's another womb

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dabir posted:

it's another womb

And with a sleeping Snout right smack dab in the uterus, too. It's kind of amazing/disturbing how the unintentional Oedipal undertones just bleeds through the last couple pages.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Seriously this is sub-college dorm poster level psychedelic art and it makes me kind of angry. This shouldn't be hard!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Once again it's so inconsistent with the last few pages. The thing we thought was a worm creature is just totally gone, and suddenly they're right next to the face. Again, I guess with "dream logic" Mookie doesn't have to try to make anything consistent!

And, again, a reveal of something we already knew. The figure is Snout. Yeah, no poo poo, but what the gently caress significance does that have to the story?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Next page will be Snout back in his cave, writing in his journal: "We found out that I was the legacy of Dominic Deegan all along!" Ink Witch walks over and hugs him, then spells "The End" in ink. Comic over.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
It's not cute anymore, Mookie even took that from me :smith:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It turns out the real legacy of Dominic Deegan was up its own rear end the whole time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
This comic has been going 1.5 years and has been soft-rebooted once.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying you have to be at Kirby/Ditko levels to do this kind of psychedelic goofiness in lieu of story progression but, when you do this you are *inviting comparisons* that will not be favorable to you.

I feel like he really is interested more in just doing this weird stuff than in any story, but you really have to Go For Broke and take a lot more time than he's willing to on backgrounds and compositions. This is all still at high-school-notebook level.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah, he clearly wants this story to be an art showcase but also he doesn't seem to ever really push himself as an artist. This stuff might be different but in terms of complexity, or technique, or anything, it's more of the same. If I felt like any part of this besides the giant Snout had any symbolic meaning it might be different but if it does, it's totally opaque and not expressed. It just all looks like random lines and squiggles meant to evoke a certain kind of art rather than actually be that art.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And their trip to the dream realm is over! Nothing happened and no new information was conveyed.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

What is the point of any of this? I ask as if I'd get a different answer this time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RBA Starblade posted:

Well at least something is happening

nvm

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, according to his twitter, they travelled to another place by going through the gate, apparently. But that's not conveyed in the comic at all, I was just guessing they were in the exact spot they left.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's weird how the brushes he uses to represent "ink magic" look less like ink than just his regular line work.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

That spiral looks like his chest hair burst through his overalls in a writhing pillar.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, according to his twitter, they travelled to another place by going through the gate, apparently. But that's not conveyed in the comic at all, I was just guessing they were in the exact spot they left.

Yeah, I mean, we could have picked up on that, if say, they were now in a city or something, and not a place that looks exactly the same.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

why the gently caress did i read this thread over two days. why do i have such a morbid fascination for this schlock. why does it take loving forever for anything to happen!!

also my hot take is the corpselady's arms and leg scars look uncomfortably similiar to self-harm scars and i hate it. i hate everything about this but i can't look away.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

clockwork chaos posted:

i hate everything about this but i can't look away.

New thread title?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I mean, we could have picked up on that, if say, they were now in a city or something, and not a place that looks exactly the same.

No, see, there's grass behind them now, see?

This guy has no idea how to use the page.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
In a blog post a while back Mookie talked about how in DD his characters were just in a white void a lot because of the panel size and speech bubbles, and now that he has no speech bubbles he has so much more space and can do actual backgrounds.

Except he still just puts things in a white void unless he's specifically drawing a "Snout walks around in boring setpieces" comic. The closest he's come to drawing an actual background was that one page of Snout walking around mongrel town, except that was traced from another picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The War in Hell Part 5

There's nothing in particular wrong with this setting, but I do find the fact that is all happening in some multiplanar zone a little annoying. The longer this comic goes the more the geography and locations become meningless.

Cliche line.

Karnak is obviously inspired by anime characters. His power level is ambigous and he faces no real opposition from all these supposedly insurmountable odds.

So here is actually I think a pretty clever story twist. Given the story so far, this is a fun way to think through the consequences of those events. It even nicely implicates the Deegan clan. This is sort of undercut by the fact that it was already spoiled by Dominic guessing it earlier though.

I actually love the fact that they are staying together in a big blob of people.

Just then, a Deus ex Machina appears! I willl take this time to talk about Mookies keyword bolding. It makes me think of FF2 on the GBA. I rally don't get why he started doing it, I guess it's to indicate where the emphasis is supposed to be in the sentence. But it's really more distracting than anything.

Though once again, Dominic has to intervene. Nothing can just happen, Karnak can't just save himself.

What a smart boy Dominic is... I really hate the line about Earth Science. Mookie loves the idea of being educated as a form of superiority over others. Also, Get ready for this chapter's requisite weird sexual elements.

Here's the secret that was hinted at before.

Karnak did the bad orc thing, he wanted to demand Miranda as his wife. Once again, the thing that makes some guy irredeemable and deserving of hell relates in some way to a protagonist's girlfriend. It's probably the single most recurring theme in DD.

And once again, it's like we're watching the soft-reboot sequel to the adventures of Donovan and Miranda. I like how non-chalantly he talks about this demon cult. Who were they? What were the stakes? All that matters less than this contrived plot of woman death combat.

Also that joke makes no sense, unless orcish is remarkably similar to english (which it's not from what we've seen).

So yes, Karnak did what he did for love of Miranda. But we will never see anything trying to look at it from his side of the story, even though it would be more compelling than some of the poo poo we'll get later.

To be clear, they aren't talking about Stonewater in that last panel, they're talking about Bulgak. For Mookie, both Bulgak and Karnak are bad people, even though their actions appear noble and self-sacrificing on the outside, but are fueled by lust for women that aren't theirs. Thinking about this moral in relation to Stonewater and you realize there is a hosed up through line to all these plot elements, having to do with love vs lust as motivation and how that determines good vs evil men. I'm probably overthinking it but it's hard not to see some mirroring of Stonewater in these other two Orcish (culturall) characters.

Out of place joke that wastes 4 panels

You'd think Mookie could make the colour strips less boring.

See. at least this one coloured would have had the gauntlet. The emotional beat is ok.

Parents Sex Joke!

When this was a daily strip it was less jarring, but these jokes really break the flow and tone reading this story all together

And Luna begins her awful gushing about Dominic again. Imagine how awful being Luna's friend must be. Just cannot stop talking about how amazing he is, how he saved her and she would be nothing without him. She would be a cautionary tale in any other story. Here, she's the main female protagonist.

A page reminding us of all the characters involved I guess? I don't hate it, but I feel like it's trying to ape a tv cut and I dont' think it really works.

Anyway sorry for the delay! Getting back to work and I was just exhausted last couple of weeks.