Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Because Best Wishes was awful.

I forget, was that the season where Ash lost in the end because his opponent cheated and used a Darkrai (or some kind of legendary at least)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

I forget, was that the season where Ash lost in the end because his opponent cheated and used a Darkrai (or some kind of legendary at least)?

That was Sinnoh, and it wasn't cheating. Tobias had a Darkrai and a Latios, but there's no rule against using legendaries in the Sinnoh League (in fact, one of the nameless Trainers participating had a Heatran).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

That was Sinnoh

BW had Ash losing to someone that had all of his worst qualities cranked up to 50

Still, it's rather drat impressive his team of unevolved pokemon (eventually) took down a hydreigon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I’m curious if Ash actually winning last season is a sign of things to come or if he’ll wind up wiping out against Leon come the end of the current show

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I’m curious if Ash actually winning last season is a sign of things to come or if he’ll wind up wiping out against Leon come the end of the current show

Ash is gonna use the fish button and win immediately.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ash is gonna use the fish button and win immediately.

I know it'll never happen but if the final battle is just a jump cut of his dracovish chewing up everything in it's path with a chorus of screams behind it I *might* start watching the anime again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was okay with Serious Team Rocket but I'm guessing it was such an abrupt tonal shift which led to its unpopularity. They were serious from the start of the anime too until I want to say about Mt. Moon? At they very least they'd dropped all pretense by Celadon.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was okay with Serious Team Rocket but I'm guessing it was such an abrupt tonal shift which led to its unpopularity. They were serious from the start of the anime too until I want to say about Mt. Moon? At they very least they'd dropped all pretense by Celadon.

No, they were serious for all of two episodes (that is, episode 2 and 3). They very next time they show up, this happens:

The TRio are the same anime archetypes as the Doronbo Gang from 1977's Yatterman - the comedic villains who never succeed but get audience sympathy despite that.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 12, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/1349358295329492992?s=21

Pokémon teaming up with Katy Perry for the 25th anniversary

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Flopsy posted:

God I hate getting teamed up with idiots....tell me is like this for everybody on here when you have dynamax adventures? Or am I the one stuck with the absolute dumbest of the dumbs? Had every member of the team loving sabotage the endeavor.

yes, it's extremely, extremely bad.

i know they don't care at all about making it good, but i think it would be improved vastly if they brought back that minigame from Sun/Moon where you got points for correctly answering a type effectiveness question, like "Your opponent uses a bug/steel pokemon, what move type would you use against it?" just ask one of these questions before every raid, and if you get it right, you get paired with other people who got it right. just establish a bare minimum baseline, and let the trolls and toddlers play with each other.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 13, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/1349358295329492992?s=21

Pokémon teaming up with Katy Perry for the 25th anniversary

Are...are they trying to make a real-world Elesa?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Are...are they trying to make a real-world Elesa?

They should have gotten Lady Gaga then.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3E2rKWEPXE

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1349704550513426432

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Torchic cooking the apple before eating it is cute.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The twist is you're actually paparazzi trying to get shots of Pokéty Perry and meowth and poo poo keep photobombing you.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

That's a big rear end Meganium.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If Hiker Dave isn't in this, we riot

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's nice that a regular pokemon is headliner, was expecting it to be Xerneas or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shneak posted:

I think the photographer is like three feet tall.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shneak posted:

I think we're getting more Gigantamax eligible Pokemon in the future.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's nice that a regular pokemon is headliner, was expecting it to be Xerneas or something.

Yeah and not even a gen one. Meganium of all things. Wonder how that got decided? Lead devs favourite? Very cool.

Early to say but the game seems to hit that "Pokémon actually living their lives" thing the first did so all signs looking great so far.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 15, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/CentroPokemon/status/1349949689299394568?s=19

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Are these guys a legit source because I do believe I just laid my eyes upon Diamond/Pearl remakes being trademarked.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Centro is usually legit, yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah apparently Unite has a Chinese Closed Beta going on so we should be getting more leaks soon. Current confirmed roster is Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Gengar, Machamp, Wigglytuff, Clefable, Slowbro, Snorlax, Mr. Mime, Alolan Ninetales, Gardevoir, Absol, Lucario, Garchomp, Talonflame, Greninja, Crustle, Cinderace, Zeraora, Eldegoss, and Cramorant so far, along with their previous forms(though I'm not sure how evolution works). That's a pretty good roster for launch, though obvious Gen 1 bias again. Crustle is definitely the most unusual pick.

EDIT: Rewatched the original trailer. You start as base form during a match and have to level up to evolve. I assume the baby forms aren't in though. I wonder if that means there's a trade off between picking a single stage, 2 stage, or 3 stage pokemon. Single stage are strongest at the start but 3 stage are strongest later on in the match, with 2 stage being somewhere inbetween.
EDIT2: Removed Bewear, added Eldegoss and Cramorant

Flopsy posted:

Are these guys a legit source because I do believe I just laid my eyes upon Diamond/Pearl remakes being trademarked.

They're the ones that leaked the Crown Tundra pokemon designs, so yes.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 16, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Flopsy posted:

Not saying they're not remaking DP, but a lot of time companies do these trademarks for legal reasons and never use them. "Gray Version" is trademarked for example despite them never making one. I think Z might have been trademarked but I can't remember.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what exactly is Unite anyway?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Finally! This is what the world has been missing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

League of Legends but with Pokemon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

A MOBA, like League of Legends of DOTA2. So if you don't like those this probably won't change your mind. Though it's for Switch and mobile so at least it's not competing with them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't care about the MOBA, but I do care about Pirate Cinderace and Super Sentai Greninja. Why don't we get these instead of Pikachu in a different hat, what the hell Gamefreak?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I don't care about the MOBA, but I do care about Pirate Cinderace and Super Sentai Greninja. Why don't we get these instead of Pikachu in a different hat, what the hell Gamefreak?

Something I think Pokemon Company needs to get standardized, like they did back when they knocked out several hundred HD pokemon models for future games, is coding for cosmetic slots. Or even just straight-to-the-bone offset rigging like Tales games do for their cosmetic props. Just to kill off the whole frankly-hacky "Pikachu-with-a-hat-that-doesn't-evolve" rewards and just give a hat you can stick on any pokemon you please or pokemon-specific costumes.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUafMNWYMYY

heard you like some cheese

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

galagazombie posted:

Not saying they're not remaking DP, but a lot of time companies do these trademarks for legal reasons and never use them. "Gray Version" is trademarked for example despite them never making one. I think Z might have been trademarked but I can't remember.

I hope they remake DP and add the rest of the missing Pokemon in Sword/Shield so I can finish getting stupid champion ribbons for some of my old Pokemon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
2 more Pokémon confirmed for Unite: Eldegoss and Cramorant. Decent Gen 8 representation.

I was wrong about Bewear though, sadly doesn’t seem to be playable.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Finally! This is what the world has been missing.

Giant Meganium?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Is there any TCG discussion here, or separate thread for that, or nobody cares about TCG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm playing through gen 5 for the first time, recently beat Ghetsis in Black. I basically skipped 4 gens after playing 1 and 2 as a kid and then I played Sun back when it launched, and that's about my entire Pokemoning career. Very interesting to see the 'middle-point' between the two in many ways. I might have preferred it mechanically over gen 7 in many ways too.

The game was fun up until now, but I hate that the level curve has just been abandoned at this point. I went into the E4 first time, basically being on level with my opponents the entire way. By the time I beat Ghetsis I was being outleveled 6 - 8 levels, with my pokemon all being 46 - 48. Then immediately once he's gone it seems like the game has entered postgame mode and just every new trainer has level 60 - 65 pokemon no matter where they are. My highest level pokemon is still only 51. The flip side is despite the 10+ levels these pokemon are surprisingly pushovers for the most part, but it's really annoying anyway (especially when you run into the occasional actual threat that really makes use of those extra levels).

I don't usually play postgame in pokemon so this kind of stuff doesn't get a chance to bother me much, but between not fighting the champ and not exploring the entire right side of the map (not even mentioning the other plot stuff) this doesn't feel like a satisfying ending the way beating the E4 and wrapping up the main storyline usually does in the other games. This is doubly the case since I wanted to play B/W 2 next so I feel like I gotta finish up in the first game before I can move on.

I had no issue putting down Sun after completing the E4 for example even though there was more content available, because I felt everything was neatly wrapped up. Not a big fan of how this gen is doing it in comparison.