Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

In an attempt to connect with the youth of today Nickelodeon aired a NFL game live for the first time on Sunday for the Bears vs. The Saints. It was surreal. Graphics everywhere, the commentary sounded like the deluded ravings of insane people, and technical glitches abound. poo poo like cutting away to people that are talking but don't have audio, not showing replays, or even not focusing in on a player after they were booted from the game for fighting and only mentioning it in passing. It was really entertaining.

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1348438758702645248

The reason I'm saying all this here is because the people running it didn't realize you can hear players from the referee's mics. Then this happened.

https://twitter.com/jdavhill/status/1348408176153128963

No idea if the FCC will do anything about it but just lol at letting a F-bomb through while airing on a network designed for children.

I think I found the new way I'm watching football now.

Edit: Cleared some things up.

I forgot about the replays as Minecraft people.

Not Nick, but some boomer aired live coverage of E3 on Disney XD once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjRaagwSUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

In an attempt to connect with the youth of today Nickelodeon aired a NFL game live for the first time on Sunday for the Bears vs. The Saints. It was surreal. Graphics everywhere, the commentary sounded like the deluded ravings of insane people, and technical glitches abound. poo poo like cutting away to people that are talking but don't have audio, not showing replays, or even not focusing in on a player after they were booted from the game for fighting and only mentioning it in passing. It was really entertaining.

The reason I'm saying all this here is because the people running it didn't realize you can hear players from the referee's mics. Then this happened.

No idea if the FCC will do anything about it but just lol at letting a F-bomb through while airing on a network designed for children.

The weirdest part was it was on like a full two minute delay to get all the crazy cartoon things inserted, so they had more than enough time to just mute it out or something.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Cable Guy posted:

Check again dude... focus on the chair base.

:stare:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It looks like he caught the bottom part in the groin. Either way it's great.

Aw. drat it, you're right. And that was even after watching it twice. I'm bad and should feel bad.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Was he cosplaying Dukakis?

:drat: :golfclap:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was actually wondering about that when there was a game on the other day. It was just whatever channel normally airs football, but now that they have the helmet mics, there was a llllllot of fucks flying around. Is there like...a plan for that or is everyone just pretending it's not happening?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Can I get some context for this?

The one guy cut the other guy off, so the other guy shot fireworks at him.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Ak Gara posted:

We...we are literally called limeys for all the fruit we ate for the vit C.

Which is schaednfreude in itself because limes were way less effective than lemons but we used them because we had lots of imperialist lime plantations in the Caribbean.

We found a cure for scurvy and then forgot it because we cheaped out on the effective treatment. :britain:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

limp_cheese posted:

I love everything about how absurd this is. The spongebob extra point made me burst out laughing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Reanimator remake coming along nicely

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I love everything about how absurd this is. The spongebob extra point made me burst out laughing.

Slime cannons for touchdowns should be mandatory in all stadiums.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

We...we are literally called limeys for all the fruit we ate for the vit C.

Doesn't an entire country eating limes to avoid scurvy kind of prove that you don't eat enough fruit?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ElGroucho posted:

Doesn't an entire country eating limes to avoid scurvy kind of prove that you don't eat enough fruit?

This was the British Navy, not the entire country.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

limp_cheese posted:

One of the announcers was a 15 year old girl who had never watched football before. It was beautiful.

This was like when they gave YTV, a crappy Nick knock-off station in Canada, the rights to air the NBA draft.

You had these young hosts giving live commentary on the draft, none of which had any clue about basketball. All the while they're giving everything a "kid" spin, since YTV was a kids channel.

"Up next is.. La... Lammer Od... Lammer Oddum? He's a good... basketer, from what we've heard. His basketball goals record is quite good, he's supposedly excellent in his... role, on the team. Oh, and it looks like they're trading his pick for two other picks to be named. We don't quite know what that means, but well try and get that clarified a little later on."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
A whole island full of pale, miserable lemon suckers self-booted themselves out of the EU because brown people and the Polish came over and forced them to eat their vegetables

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

limp_cheese posted:

yo, where's this part

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Serephina posted:

Apparently a Terry Pratchett / Discworld reference for 'God'?

Even as a person who's read those books, that's a pointlessly obscure non-funny reference.

Sorry, I thought it was funnier than it turned out to be.

Nuggan is a god of the Discworld, and even the other gods think that he is overdoing it. Chocolate and garlic are among the things forbidden to his worshippers.

"When you prohibit you don't meth about, do you?" said Offler.
"No sense in forbidding broccoli, is there?"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Serephina posted:

Even as a person who's read those books, that's a pointlessly obscure non-funny reference.

Who cares though? I found it amusing.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LordSaturn posted:

yo, where's this part

I couldn't find a clip.

I remember it was number 17 but whenever they showed a clip it didn't have him in it, and when he was leaving the stadium it was a long shot of the entire field. The announcer was explaining it as "You know when you're playing with your cousins its going to get a little physical, but at some point someone goes a little too far and needs a timeout."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

Sometimes someone might want to make an obscure Pratchett reference for no reason and I think we, as a thread, just need to come to terms with this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

Discworld pantheon is more like the Nordic/Greek one, in that there are a lot of gods and most are somewhat capricious but mostly just wanna mess with people.

I only remembered this because I've been re-reading them lately for something to do before bedtime.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

Sorry, I thought it was funnier than it turned out to be.

Nuggan is a god of the Discworld, and even the other gods think that he is overdoing it. Chocolate and garlic are among the things forbidden to his worshippers.

"When you prohibit you don't meth about, do you?" said Offler.
"No sense in forbidding broccoli, is there?"

I was amused by it. :yayclod:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nuggan is the god of a backwards little hick country, is insane and, I think, quasi-dead? and his holy book is 99% things that are abominations unto Nuggan and must be shunned or destroyed. Including chocolate, garlic, and all of the country's neighbors. And it keeps updating with new things to abominate every so often. Like, imagine if the entire bible was a TOS contract composed of the parts of Leviticus that get all the attention.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

When you’re a defense attorney, but your client is Florida Man.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1348760270198472708

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just wanna chime in to say I appreciate Did world and references, I breathed that poo poo. Read all the books, some of them several times, and then listened through them again as audiobooks.

Wondering what Pratchett would have made of last year.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lord Stimperor posted:

Just wanna chime in to say I appreciate Did world and references, I breathed that poo poo. Read all the books, some of them several times, and then listened through them again as audiobooks.

Wondering what Pratchett would have made of last year.

I would have liked to see what Bill Hicks would have made of the last 25 years.

Content:

https://i.imgur.com/3oxOgpq.mp4

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Memento posted:

I miss Molly Ivins.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://www.theroot.com/hell-predictably-breaks-loose-after-trainer-names-horse-1846034036

Tl;dr horse trainer names a horse ‘grape soda’ to antagonize a black horse racing analyst, gets banned from horse racing

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bobby Digital posted:

https://www.theroot.com/hell-predictably-breaks-loose-after-trainer-names-horse-1846034036

Tl;dr horse trainer names a horse ‘grape soda’ to antagonize a black horse racing analyst, gets banned from horse racing

Wtf kind of racist term is grape soda?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
On second thought, I probably don't want to know

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's one of the food and drink items associated with an ethnicity, and it just so happens that such items associated with black people are used even more derogatorily than normal, and they're plenty derogatory as is.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

EasilyConfused posted:

Wtf kind of racist term is grape soda?

Reference to an old stereotype of what black people like to eat/drink.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Thats dissapointing. Should have gone all the way with "purple drank"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/OJkp7mk.mp4

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

99 bugs me j the code
1bug fixed
100 bugs in the code

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Memento posted:

Hicks was a great comic, but he had a dangerous weakness for conspiracy thinking. He would have gone full 9/11 truther and metastasized from there. He'd be full Qanon by 2020.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

So it's like they called the horse Watermelon? What a head shakingly dumb maneuver lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Deptfordx posted:

Hicks was a great comic, but he had a dangerous weakness for conspiracy thinking. He would have gone full 9/11 truther and metastasized from there. He'd be full Qanon by 2020.

He also had nice guy syndrome and did a whole bit about how you’re not a man if your girlfriend has a male gay best friend.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

oh dope posted:

Pro wrestling yearns, especially since Vince McMahon took over the entire business, for mainstream acceptance. Displaying well known, legitimate tough guys in their ring is one of the ways they do it. Ken Shamrock, Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar are examples of this. The problem is, these guys expose the fluffy muscle wrestlers as total schlubs in terms of real fighting skill, (or worse, the exact opposite happens) and it wrecks the illusion.

Brock did pretty okay, in his .. probably 'exhibition' bouts. Not sure if they were supposed to be thrown. But the sheer mass of that dude, and his wrestling background. He wasn't a slouch. But yeah, when it came to a real MMA fight, he'd lose. He was just legit a good athlete and a scary size. Like they had to make XXXXL gloves for him or something.
I could be remembering wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Brock beat some pretty legit talent (for HW).

Frank Mir
Shane Carwin
Randy Couture (LHW but was HW champion)
Heath Herring may have been past his prime but still used to be someone