Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

karmicknight posted:

the Unknown Commander is basically a cult figure for the Jungle Patrol. Which is super hosed up actually.

Whupwhup! That's the sound of da patrol
Whupwhup! That's the sound of a questionable chain of command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Did they ever do a storyline where someone takes advantage of the Unknown Commander's anonymity to hijack part or all of the Jungle Patrol?

Who am I kidding, if they did it ended with them being found downriver with a skull mark on their jaw.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

isn't the neighboring country basically Rhodesia? I'm not super worried about their territorial integrity.

Not letting this get lost

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Here's our July 20th, 1940 Comics:

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And Axa

Something something where can I sign up and whatever other obvious joke there is to be made.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
"Oh, it's just that seeing those headless mannequins in the store window reminded me of the time I cut off my husbands head and buried him in the back yard."

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:wmwink:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

karmicknight posted:

the Unknown Commander is basically a cult figure for the Jungle Patrol. Which is super hosed up actually.
Basically everything about the Phantom is super hosed up if you think about it for more than a minute.

(similar varieties of 'this is kinda hosed up' apply to a lot of pulpy action stuff/vigilante hero stuff and doesn't mean it's bad, but, y'know)

:emptyquote:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

:bignews:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Alhazred posted:

Sure, let's invade a foreign country because some dude we don't know the identity of said so. Whupwhup!

killing-of-osama-bin-laden.txt

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I understand Axa is upset because this dude is just a slave who has no actual interest in her and is just being ordered to do so. That there's no love or feeling to it and thus it's reprehensible to her.

But I still can't help but laugh over her "Oh no, sex with a hot guy! How awful!"

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Were "egg timer" hourglasses a thing where this comic is from?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"I'll be diabetic when I'm good and ready"

DO THE FINGER STICKS YOU WIMP

My wife was diagnosed just after her first birthday (it was the birthday cake that set her off). She got a helicopter ride, and her blood sugar was over 800.

She has extremely good control these days

Nancy Is Not Diabetic 1946

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set isn't for you.

Working Daze builds the "suspense".

Super-Fun-Pak Comix has one job.

Cul De Sac missed out big time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dr. Giles, you damned pain in the rear end

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 9, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 2, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 11, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 11, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 19, 1939)

“Bootsie darlin’ this reminds me of that picture we seen at the Bijou where Tarzan an’ his old lady is quietly restin’ by a lake.”

Mopsy Sunday (November 10, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (May 20, 1950)

“Sure, she’s here - but she went to SLEEP tellin’ ME a BEDTIME story!”

Wee Pals (April 2, 1965)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gnoman posted:

Were "egg timer" hourglasses a thing where this comic is from?
Yes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

This one cracked me up when I got old enough. Made no sense at all when I was a kid.

I'm betting this is Snow-Woman kid.

This is the only line-art piece I've ever seen Addams do.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (February 11, 1929)

Hey, that's not a joke, it's just a unadorned recitation of the proverb!

quote:

Dark Laughter (August 19, 1939)

“Bootsie darlin’ this reminds me of that picture we seen at the Bijou where Tarzan an’ his old lady is quietly restin’ by a lake.”

Is it just me or are these scans a lot more visible compared to when you started, to the point that the transcript isn't really necessary?

quote:

Wee Pals (April 2, 1965)

Well, that sure was a prescient prediction of late capitalist psychological disorders.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

This one is not only one of my favourites, but it's my mum's favourite as well (the death-ray one is my dad's).

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

isn't the neighboring country basically Rhodesia? I'm not super worried about their territorial integrity.

Looks like it's Rodia actually, which is bad luck for the Jungle Patrol because Rodians always shoot first.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

catlord posted:

(the death-ray one is my dad's)
I'm waiting if that will come up :allears:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm better appreciating through this run of Bad Machinery how the character designs all change extremely subtly between stories to mark the passage of time/puberty. In that context the new designs in the new story aren't really that out there, if we just assume there were a couple years' worth of subtle character design changes we didn't see.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Rae the Doe's web archives

Insurance Mascot

Oh right, Rae the Doe's MMO is a storyline

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Ah yes, my CAREER as a sports mascot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This is definitely going to see some use!

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

Didn't immediately see the steering wheel and my mind went a dark place.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I feel like I should be angry about this particular pun being unnecessarily esoteric but since I get the reference I'm not.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Better than even odds I'll be upset by the answer, but (1) what is Roger, (2) what's their deal? Is there a person inside that meaningless colored grid?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I blame you for this discovery, Elysiume.
https://safehavenscomic.tumblr.com/

According to wikipedia, which is almost certainly maintained by Holbrook himself.
"Roger - Roger has been practising to become a mascot his entire life. Rarely seen outside of costume, he was the mascot of the Havens High School Fighting Personal Digital Assistants (the team used to be called the Lions until a "contribution" from a high-tech firm resulted in the name change). Roger takes his mascot role incredibly seriously, communicating entirely through the costume's screen display. Roger's face has never been shown since he is always wearing some sort of full-body costume. Even in the day care, he wore a box, and then made it into a television costume. He is on the mission to Mars as the Main Computer interface."

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I had a very affectionate cat once who just would not or could not retract his claws when kneading my legs. He loved to do that any time I lied down on the couch. So I had to make a point of wearing jeans almost all the time since otherwise he would just cut right through the fabric and start scratching me.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

For those (like me) who didn't get the reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Just_Men_(novel)

Wikipedia posted:

He had to create his own publishing company, Tallis, to publish it and decided to manage a 'guess the murder method' competition in the Daily Mail with a prize of £1,000 (equivalent in purchasing power to at least £93,000 in 2013). Wallace intended to advertise the book on an unprecedented scale, not just in Britain itself but across the Empire. He approached the proprietor, Lord Harmsworth for the loan of the £1,000 and was promptly refused, but Wallace pressed ahead anyway. His alarmed workmates at the Mail prevailed upon him to lower the prize money to £500: a £250 first prize, £200 second prize and £50 third prize, but were unable to restrain him in the privacy of his home. Wallace had advertisements placed on buses, hoardings, flyers, and so forth, running up an incredible bill of £2,000. Though he knew he needed the book to sell sufficient copies to make £2,500 before he saw any profit, Wallace was confident that this would be achieved in the first three months of the book going on sale, hopelessly underestimating the expenses.

Enthusiastic, but without any substantial managerial skill, Wallace had also made a far more serious error. He ran the FJM serial competition in the Daily Mail but failed to include any limitation clause in the competition rules restricting payment of the prize money to one winner only from each of the three categories. Only after the competition had closed and the correct solution printed as part of the final chapter denouement did Wallace learn that he was legally obliged to pay every person who answered correctly the full prize amount in that category; if six people got the 1st Prize answer right, he would have to pay not £250 but 6 × £250, or £1500, if three people got the 2nd Prize it would be £600 and so on.

Additionally, though his advertising gimmick had worked as the novel was a bestseller, Wallace discovered that instead of his woefully over-optimistic three months, FJM would have to continue selling consistently with no margin of error for two full years to recoup the £2,500 he had mistakenly believed he needed to break even. Unfortunately during this period the number of entrants correctly guessing the right answer continued to rise inexorably. Wallace's response was to simply ignore the situation, but circumstances were ominous. As 1906 began and continued without any list of prize winners being printed, more and more suspicions were being voiced about the honesty of the competition. In addition, for a working-class Edwardian family, £250 was a fortune and since those who were winners knew it (courtesy of the published solution) they had been waiting impatiently for the prize to be paid out. Harmsworth, having refused the initial £1,000 loan, was furious at having now to loan over £5,000 to protect the newspaper's reputation because Wallace couldn't pay.

Wallace went bankrupt and hastily sold the rights to the novel for £75 to Sir George Newnes to provide token amounts to his creditors.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aaah, there's the angle. Kelley got kicked out of the library.

Libraries are moving on from the "silence at all times" bit. A popular new model especially for public libraries is to have them as a place of public gathering and exchange; still in an educational context, of course, but they do try to set aside some space for people to have conversations, do projects and so on. That being said: they're still also places for study and research. And not every library will have the budget or architectural freedom to provide "loud" areas that aren't "the outside."

Reshelving policy is very much up to the individual library and both patrons or staff doing it have their minor advantages and disadvantages, in the grand scheme it's low priority. Food and drink: I absolutely guarantee you you'd rather deal with the slight inconvenience of taking your snacks outside than with the cost of replacing a book you got a chocolate smear on or that got soaked in coffee when you accidentally elbow checked your cup. (Not that a flimsy lid on the cup is going to help you much. I've seen libraries insist on screw-top bottles only.) Incidentally, one reason the library might not want patrons to reshelve the books is so the staff can check them for damage.

It's not that the job doesn't attract its fair share of rules-obsessed old spinsters. However, the library and library books are in a sense the common property of a community, and it comes as absolutely no surprise that Kelley feels a disdain for that concept that manifests in reducing the processes that are in place to maintain and govern the common property to a hair-bunned matron figure with a chip on her shoulder. What a strange position to take, too, when you've made your wise adult identification character a lawyer.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

Hey, that's not a joke, it's just a unadorned recitation of the proverb!

I may be missing a joke, but the proverb is "repent at leisure", not repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You're not missing the joke. I've only ever heard the altered phrase and didn't realize there was an original one, because apparently this joke has been around so long it turned into its own epigram at some point.