Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

astral posted:

If you have the 'Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned' forum option enabled, it highlights the whole thread in thread lists rather than the only difference being the star color. This lets you (barring exceptional circumstances) easily differentiate between your different-colored bookmarks. My impression of the whole thing was that you could assign whatever meaning you want to the different colors. Maybe one color represents a forum a thread came from; maybe it marks threads as "I'd like to read these first". Maybe it means something completely different.

Yeah that's what I figured, but I guess I'm just lazy and want to go "beep boop, show me all my unread green threads or whatever" so I don't have to scroll to make sure I've found them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Does Awful actually cache anything? Anytime I use the “empty cache” function it tells me it cleared 0 megabytes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Does Awful actually cache anything? Anytime I use the “empty cache” function it tells me it cleared 0 megabytes.

It usually does, but yeah I just got 0 megs too and I haven't done it in weeks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I also just got zero megs when I did it, and I’m not sure I’ve ever cleared the cache before. It’s possible the cache, the mechanism to clear the cache, or the part that tells you how much was cleared is broken.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah it worked when I added the manual clearing and then I never checked it again. I can look into it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Referee posted:

I got a crash when I tried to open Leper’s Colony. I can browse it now, but I’m guessing it might have to do with YouTube embeds in probation/ban reasons? This is what I see in app. Opening a browser window shows there are actually YouTube links.

Ooh YouTube links is a good clue, because I know this has been happening on and off for awhile now.

ulvir posted:

gonna ask here before perhaps bringing it up in QCS, but is the lowtax thread tag pulled directly from the forums themselves and as such is something active on both parts, or is it something that remains in the app? it would be nice if that disappeared now that he is gone

The app checks the thread tag image's URL and swaps it for an image made for Awful. We could certainly change the image that Awful shows, if anyone has one handy!

smackfu posted:

Did something change in the most recent update that would make my iPhone 12 mini use OLED dark theme instead of normal dark? It was quite a jarring change!

Yeah, OLED screens are meant to default to the OLED themes, and I'd gotten behind on the list of applicable devices. Sorry for the scare!

ZeeBoi posted:

The app is acting up for me again on iPad. Thread pages are constantly reloading and/or the app keeps crashing. Then it stops working completely by freezing up and seemingly making my iPad restart.

Anyone else get this issue after some time of using the app on iPad?

Edit: after turning my iPad off and back on again I went into Awful’s settings and disabled Twitter embeds. Not sure which of the two helped but things are back to normal again.

I haven't seen anything like this for ages, and I use the app constantly on my iPad. Which doesn't mean much, so I'll keep an eye out.

AcidRonin posted:

Hey I just wanted to say this is evidently the most used app on my phone after like texting and the browser. So I appreciate all the hard work

:3:

wizzardstaff posted:

That would be a pretty cool feature actually, if the app told you when a new post would show up on a different page.

(Assuming no other people posting at the same time, but even then that should only give false negatives and not false positives.)

Awful takes you to your next unread post after posting though, so I think this only happens if you're posting before finishing reading the page. Which is fair enough, but I wonder how often that happens?

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Problem that's been driving me nuts, but also may be the doing of twitter's poo poo-eating subhuman frontend team:

I see a tweet that I want to share and tap on the tweet's datetime to open in the in-app browser. I tap the share button and I see the correct page title in the share sheet for a second, but it changes either to twitter's homepage or something I previously opened in the in-app browser. If I hit Copy, it copies the url corresponding to the new, incorrect title on the share sheet. I have to open into full fledged safari and copy the link from there.

It'd also be kinda nice if when the in-app browser opened, it trimmed all the tracking link poo poo from the end of url so it didn't show the source as SA (I send a lot of links from the forums to normal-brained friends). I might clone down the repo and see if I can do this myself.

Apparently this has been an issue for awhile, so I'll +1 it on the list.

Stripping out tracking bits is a reasonable request too.

Soricidus posted:

Awful M1 thoughts: it’s good, I’m probably going to post with a keyboard more frequently now!

Only issue I’ve noticed so far is that the swipe-for-next-page seems to be calibrated for a tall screen and I’m finding it’s physically impossible to trigger it on the MacBook touchpad. Would be nice to have sensitivity options there if possible.

Fair enough! I wonder if a pull-for-next gesture makes any sense on a Mac, I'm thinking not? But a hotkey or something would be nice.

Yep, it's on the list, just gotta get to it :)

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is there a fix for uploading GIFs?

If I upload a GIF via imgur the old fashioned way, the file uploads as a GIF and I can embed it in a post and have it move and loop and do all the good normal GIF stuff.

But I just tried to embed a GIF that I've put on the forums from my phone library before through the app for the first time and it seems to have uploaded the image as a PNG static frame. Is there a way to upload an image and specify the filetype or keep the filetype the same?

Probably just Awful doing dumb things. I'll take a look.

Woofer posted:

Sometimes, clicking on a username in a quote to go to the quoted post will single out a post and ONLY show that post (but not the quoted post I was looking for).

This happens a lot in the Trump thread in cspam so I think it’s showing me the newest unread post by itself.

The only time Awful grabs exactly one post's worth of content is if you've ignored a user but still want to see a post of theirs. Any chance you've ignored the source of the quote? If not, can you link me a problematic post/quote?

I did see that, it would be nice if the app detected Cloudflare fuckery and opened a lil web view or something to let you read/bypass it. I'll add it to the list.

b_d posted:

Links appear blue and underlined in the lepers colony but there’s no way to click them without just jumping to the post.

That's no good. I'd still like to do a proper webview-based Leper's Colony, which should handle this and other issues. Someday!

Tetramin posted:

Any chance at implementing the smilie tag searching goons worked hard on?

Sorry if this is already on the todo list. I didn’t read the thread before posting.

Yep it's on the list, part of a larger smilies overhaul. Any year now!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any chance that if you turn Always Preview Posts off, you could instead preview a post by holding the Post button before a new reply or post in threads.

It’s handy if you’ve used links or BB code

That's a good idea, on the list it goes!

carry on then posted:

Long press on a navigation item isn't something I'd recommend doing, it's not discoverable at all and might even be against the HIG. I'm not sure it'll be easy to implement either.

Possible thoughts:
We can add a new button to the compose interface (likely not in the navigation bar; either fitting it into the existing compose toolbar or adding a new one, or adding possibly adding it to the context menu of the text field) that pops up a preview.

We can add a third mode for the post preview setting that changes whether the top right button is Preview or Post based on whether it detects bbcode statements (possibly ignoring quote?)

I think we can manage a long press, or possibly a menu on iOS 13+. Might be a bit finicky but we've done it elsewhere. Back buttons have menus as of iOS 13 I think, so it's not without precedent.

Subjunctive posted:

I’m hoping to get tweets embedding in previews, so it would be good if those and video links triggered preview as well I think. (I don’t know if we synthesize [img] or [url] bbcode for those.)

If I recall, we send them as BBcode then we swap 'em back out in the returned HTML.

Animal posted:

I just tried again

IMGUR API ERROR
file type invalid

It happens with whatever pic I select form my iOS Photos library

Awful's doing something fucky here. Though this was late in the month so we might've blown Imgur API limits? I think the error message is usually more descriptive in that case but wouldn't be the first time.

carry on then posted:

We're also at the end of the month and I have no idea what causes imgur to rate limit us so maybe that's implicated somehow??

It feels like Apple ought to have provided an API to convert an image from HEIC to JPEG but I have done 0 research into this.

There's some ImageIO key you can set to get a "for sharing" format, I think it does something with P3 color and also possibly avoids HEIC? Thought we were using that but maybe I broke it. I'll take a look.

Warbird posted:

How bouts an old rear end novelty Web 1.5 SA theme?

It's been awhile since we made a new theme, sounds fun to me! I also want to figure out a sensible way to do more invasive theming, like with the navbars/toolbars and such.

Stare-Out posted:

I'm guessing this is just my old phone on its way out, but here's something that's only happened to me while using Awful; I'll be reading a thread and have about 25-29% battery left, slowly but steadily ticking down as I read. Then at some point, usually after switching to a new page, my phone freezes for a few seconds, screen goes black, I get the pinwheel and it goes into a boot loop. Once I plug it in to charge it wakes up normally with 10% battery left and starts charging, after which it's fine again until I get to reading Awful with my battery in the 20-something percent range. I haven't had any other app do this so far.

I know Awful isn't gentle on the battery but I don't think it's doing this since it's a pretty recent issue but I'm still curious why this might be happening beyond my phone (OG SE) just being too old.

Theoretically Awful shouldn't be able to do that if we tried, but I wonder if we're exhausting some OS resource limit or something. Maybe we're taking task assertions in a loop? I'll keep an eye out.

Now that I write that, I'm pretty sure I've never taken task assertions anywhere in Awful, so that's probably worth looking into :)

Snowy posted:

Did the iMessage stickers go away or do I need to reinstall or something?

I’m hoping it’s a glitch because I love them.

As mentioned, I had some weird issue with them when trying to submit an app update a couple months back, and in frustration I just removed them. I plan on bringing them back!

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Small bug: latest ipad pro, ios 14.2 (also observed on older os versions)

1. Open a thread
2. Open another app in multitask mode, so the awful interface reverts to phone-like (root tabbar screen is the bottom of the nav stack instead of a slide-over view on the left)
3. Drag the multitask border over, restoring awful to fullscreen

The thread title in the nav bar will be blank when this is done

This is a much faster way to reproduce this issue, which I think can also happen when relaunching Awful after it gets punted out of memory. Thanks!

keseph posted:

I don't actually use the drafts feature at all but reading about other people using it made me think: when there is a saved draft, change the pencil icon for posting to also have a piece of paper or an asterisk or something similar.
On the other hand, if backing out of a thread discards a draft, pop up a bottom balloon with "Keep Draft" that reopens the in-progress draft. My reference point here is what Outlook does when you delete a message or back out of a draft, but I don't know if that is a native iOS behavior or some custom thing Outlook does.

The confusing part about drafts is whether it's an edit or a new post, and that goes doubly if you're able to edit other users' posts (mods etc.). We've tried a couple things to make it clearer, but eventually I settled on just making it super clear with kinda annoying alerts. I'm open to toning it down a bit, but my priority is avoiding accidentally erasing posts because of an unexpected draft edit.

Mail apps are an inspiration here for sure. Though Awful doesn't currently support multiple drafts, even across threads, and I think that might be useful here.

`Nemesis posted:

Did anyone ever ask about being able to save images from the lepers colony? That’d be nice.

You're the first! Or my search skills suck. But it's on the list now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the obsession this thread has with the lepers colony.

I end up there maybe once every three years when someone mentions a purge :shrug: but I guess it's good for people to check it now and then, see what gets you probated/banned around here?

Keith Atherton posted:

Not the end of the world but the use of the term “Mark” for two different features confuses me no matter how many times I see this

Maybe change the bookmark toggle to “Bookmark” and “Delete” (“Delete” is the label from the unbookmark action if you swipe left from the bookmark on the list of bookmarks) and change “Mark” to “Mark Unread”?

App is fantastic - thanks for the great work

Fair points all around. This popover needs a rework, I just keep putting off these fixes in hopes of redoing the thing. Wording is easy to change though, I can do that!

Diabolik900 posted:

I personally would support the idea of switching to standard iOS context menus, which should allow for longer, more descriptive labels.

This is my plan for iOS 13+, need a fallback for older versions though. (Could just keep the popover…)

MarcusSA posted:

I know this has come up before and it’s not feasible but I would legit pay good money to be able to sort my bookmarks out.

MarcusSA posted:

Hell just buy sub forum would be great.

An entirely reasonable request, but it's complicated by some things that ideally you wouldn't have to care about :

• The "bookmarked threads" page doesn't say which (sub)forum the thread is in, so we'd have to fetch that info for everything. Doable, though I try not to hit the Forums with too many extra requests compared to someone using a browser.
• Loading subsequent pages of bookmarks makes sorting tricky. Say we put yellow stars up top, what happens to the yellow stars we find when you scroll down to page 2 of bookmarks? There's probably something reasonable we can do here but it's annoyingly finicky.

ZeeBoi posted:

It does, but it sounds like "delete things" and/or "report what was deleted" broke at some point. I'll add it to the list!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pokeyman posted:

• The "bookmarked threads" page doesn't say which (sub)forum the thread is in, so we'd have to fetch that info for everything. Doable, though I try not to hit the Forums with too many extra requests compared to someone using a browser.

The forums might be able to expose this for you; I'll make a note to look into it.

Still would have that multiple-pages issue, though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Was there ever any update on the addition of mod buttons? :ohdear:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

astral posted:

The forums might be able to expose this for you; I'll make a note to look into it.

Still would have that multiple-pages issue, though.

Thanks!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Was there ever any update on the addition of mod buttons? :ohdear:

Still on the list, no work done yet. Always ok to ask though :)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Feature request: I just got a 12 mini and I very much enjoy the little haptic feedback bumps when long pressing or scrolling around in other apps, could we get something like that in Awful please? Adding these would take the Posting Experience even further beyond what was thought possible.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I haven’t been able to replicate it yet, but I 100% saw one of my old usernames on the reply preview screen. Not sure if that’s ominous or not...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Woof Blitzer posted:

I haven’t been able to replicate it yet, but I 100% saw one of my old usernames on the reply preview screen. Not sure if that’s ominous or not...

Could be that vB uses your first username as the static name for your account, and if you pay to 'Change Username' all it's actually doing is changing a Display Name. This is how Invision Power Board works, anyway.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Could be that vB uses your first username as the static name for your account, and if you pay to 'Change Username' all it's actually doing is changing a Display Name. This is how Invision Power Board works, anyway.

That aspect is still vB2; your display name is your login name.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I don’t know if this is helpful for the random slowdown thing but I’ve found that if I hit a page of a thread that’s slow (on iOS) if I drag down the notifications window so it fully covers the page and can scroll normally in there 99% of the time when I go back to my thread (just swiping up) I can freely scroll again.

The other 1% of the time I regain control about a second later.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
How do you upload a video from your phone to SA using the app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

I don't think you can!

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Feature request: Double tap a post to jump to the end of that post

long posts and their quotes are killin me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

commie kong posted:

Feature request: Double tap a post to jump to the end of that post

long posts and their quotes are killin me

I would also love something like this, or maybe a way to collapse posts.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wonder if figuring out an easy pattern to collapse a quote helps solves this instead of muddying up the touch areas of a post itself. Could be as simple as a caret in the top right of the quote bubble.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Is this something that can even be done on the website?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

There is probably a shortcut that could be used to upload it to Imgur first then past it in.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

What about an alt viewing mode that works like instagram stories. Like you tap or hold to go to the next post / pause and if you don't tap in say 3 seconds it goes to the next post. Left side of screen tap to go back.

This would also be the ultimate mode for reading in bed!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What like one post a screen?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

What about an alt viewing mode that works like instagram stories. Like you tap or hold to go to the next post / pause and if you don't tap in say 3 seconds it goes to the next post. Left side of screen tap to go back.

This would also be the ultimate mode for reading in bed!

It's really easy to think that sounds torturous but it would be interesting to experience it in practice. Seems like it still would make the issue of extremely long quotes potentially cumbersome.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What like one post a screen?

Yeah. Long posts you could scroll vertically. Or maybe it quickly auto scrolls to the next post so you get more of a sense of how far through you are? I dunno just spitballin'.

Having one post per screen could allow for other fun layout options like a larger avatar.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 19, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The Dave posted:

I wonder if figuring out an easy pattern to collapse a quote helps solves this instead of muddying up the touch areas of a post itself. Could be as simple as a caret in the top right of the quote bubble.

Yeah, this was my original thought, but then I figured:

1) It's not just quotes that I want to skip. It's regular huge (on mobile) posts as well
2) Having the toggle at the top of a post means that I'd have to scroll back up after reading a little but then decided that the post was longer than anticipated. Like if a long article was shared and was interesting at first, but actually I'd rather move on.
A gesture that's always available on posts would solve that.
3) Manipulating posts and quotes may be more technically difficult than an anchor link activated by a gesture?

Of course, I'd appreciate any solution :)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

NFX posted:

A couple of days ago my login expired, and when I logged back in a handful of settings were reset. I think it was mostly color schemes etc. is this on purpose?

pokeyman posted:

It's on purpose but not great. I wanted "log out" to double as an "erase everything" button. I think it's reasonable when you specifically ask to log out, but you didn't. It would be nice on session expiry to show some kind of "log back in?" screen that doesn't forget everything if you're the same user. So I'ma add that to the list!

It happened again :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not sure the app has any control over this, but if I play a video in a Twitter embed, then full screen it, then rotate my phone to landscape, the video stops playing and I get dropped back to non-full screen. This is quite annoying.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

smackfu posted:

Not sure the app has any control over this, but if I play a video in a Twitter embed, then full screen it, then rotate my phone to landscape, the video stops playing and I get dropped back to non-full screen. This is quite annoying.

That’s been going on for a while now, cause I mentioned it in October. Seems to be a Twitter thing, as I think I’ve had it happen outside awful app as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yep. Doesn’t happen on Twitter proper iirc, but their embed stuff is fubar as usual.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

adding embedded tweets probably doubled the cpu usage of awful lmao

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

carry on then posted:

adding embedded tweets probably doubled the cpu usage of awful lmao
Worth it

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That made me think; would it be possible to have a "tap to show" for tweets? Especially for ones in quotes. Could help with CPU usage in heavy tweet-threads and make scrolling past long strings of quoted tweets quicker.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

That made me think; would it be possible to have a "tap to show" for tweets? Especially for ones in quotes. Could help with CPU usage in heavy tweet-threads and make scrolling past long strings of quoted tweets quicker.

Not likely. We have very little control over how tweets are embedded, basically we have to just call a function that Twitter provides which searches the entire page for tweet links and does all the work of fetching the full embed and injecting it into the page.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

carry on then posted:

Not likely. We have very little control over how tweets are embedded, basically we have to just call a function that Twitter provides which searches the entire page for tweet links and does all the work of fetching the full embed and injecting it into the page.

Ahh, I see. That makes sense.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The day we went from no tweets to tweets was the best.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

The day we went from no tweets to tweets was the best worst

Pretty much

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still can’t see text if you paste an image from your camera roll without hammering the return key.
iPhone XS Max

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

carry on then posted:

Might you be able to extract the tweet links yourself and run the Twitter function on mini pages that contain just one at a time?

Disclaimer: I don’t know what I’m talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This has been done for a while, I think, but still here on 5.4 and latest iOS on 12 Mini.

When a thread title is long enough to span 2 lines, when you make a post, the posting form that slides up doesn't go all the way to the top, letting 1 or 2 rows of pixels of the text through. Here's a comparison screenshot, with the form all the way up vs pulled down a bit manually, to help corroborate the exposed pixels.

E: you can also manually shift the posting form up the remaining pixels.
And now that I play with it more, I think all forms are like this; it's just more noticeable with the 2 lines of text.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 27, 2021