Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So I think I'm missing something. I'm about 30 hours into my first campaign with Vlandia and I've grown a pretty decent 40/40/40 archer/tank/cav army that can 1v1 any same-sized army in the game with very little losses.

However, my stupid rear end faction keeps going to war with Battania and Sturgia nonstop, sometimes even at the same time, causing half of our main cities to now be taken. Every time we get a castle back I'm pretty much guaranteed to become lord of it, but I can't hold it. How am I supposed to hold off a 1200 grand army with only 120 troops and a newly garrisoned force of about 50? For some reason the AI really hates me and makes a beeline for my new castle within 10 minutes. I don't have enough time to garrison more troops + train them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Form an army as theyre heading to besiege. Havent played in a while but usually they waste time setting up siege weapons no matter the odds, so you can basically set up newly won castles as traps if you have enough influence, nearby lords and a solid enough party yourself. You dont even need to wait in the castle, just wait outside once theyve set up a siege camp. Do it enough times and you can basically ensure a death spiral for whatever kingdom they belong to.

Thats how i played it a few patches ago anyway.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Is there any way to turn off characters randomly dying in battle? I don't remember that being a thing in whatever version I last played and it's real lame to have companions roll the dice on dropping dead every battle. And at least 2 or more lords die in every major battle so I feel like any campaign that runs for a decent chunk of time is gonna become a barren wasteland real quick.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gobblecoque posted:

Is there any way to turn off characters randomly dying in battle? I don't remember that being a thing in whatever version I last played and it's real lame to have companions roll the dice on dropping dead every battle. And at least 2 or more lords die in every major battle so I feel like any campaign that runs for a decent chunk of time is gonna become a barren wasteland real quick.

It's an option on campaign set up (and possibly campaign options mid-game). Scroll down the list of recruitment/movement/battle difficulty and "enable death" is right at the end.

Cardboard Fox posted:

So I think I'm missing something. I'm about 30 hours into my first campaign with Vlandia and I've grown a pretty decent 40/40/40 archer/tank/cav army that can 1v1 any same-sized army in the game with very little losses.

However, my stupid rear end faction keeps going to war with Battania and Sturgia nonstop, sometimes even at the same time, causing half of our main cities to now be taken. Every time we get a castle back I'm pretty much guaranteed to become lord of it, but I can't hold it. How am I supposed to hold off a 1200 grand army with only 120 troops and a newly garrisoned force of about 50? For some reason the AI really hates me and makes a beeline for my new castle within 10 minutes. I don't have enough time to garrison more troops + train them.

It seems to be luck of the draw? I've never "finished" a campaign, due to limited time and new overhaul patches coming fairly regularly, but some games my faction will gradually absorb more and more cities, while in others my idiot sovereign will declare war on the entire world when his personal retinue consists entirely of peasants and every single village is on fire. I can't see any pattern to it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

It's an option on campaign set up (and possibly campaign options mid-game). Scroll down the list of recruitment/movement/battle difficulty and "enable death" is right at the end.

Yeah I saw that and apparently unlike all the other campaign options this one you can only set at the beginning for whatever reason. I think I left it to default because I didn't realize they turned on battlefield deaths at some point.

Ugh. Guess I'll find out whether the old character export mod still works.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

albany academy posted:

Form an army as theyre heading to besiege. Havent played in a while but usually they waste time setting up siege weapons no matter the odds, so you can basically set up newly won castles as traps if you have enough influence, nearby lords and a solid enough party yourself. You dont even need to wait in the castle, just wait outside once theyve set up a siege camp. Do it enough times and you can basically ensure a death spiral for whatever kingdom they belong to.

Thats how i played it a few patches ago anyway.

I just played a round where we took Sargot back, the King gave it to me and we went to seige another castle less than a minute away. Battania took my castle before we were even able to get back. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but that was crazy.

Tree Bucket posted:

It seems to be luck of the draw? I've never "finished" a campaign, due to limited time and new overhaul patches coming fairly regularly, but some games my faction will gradually absorb more and more cities, while in others my idiot sovereign will declare war on the entire world when his personal retinue consists entirely of peasants and every single village is on fire. I can't see any pattern to it.

I'm thinking they may have changed something in a patch because this just doesn't feel right. I've probably owned 6 castles or cities tonight and was able to maybe hold on to them for 15mins max.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I wish the devs would just disable the AI's access to circle and square formations. It seems to be a regular occurrence in large battles that one side will set their infantry in a circle and archers as a square inside them and just sit there while all their cavalry gets massacred and then the foot troops get ventilated because the formation is like an arrow funnel that makes a perfect target but the archers in it can't shoot out of.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I jumped back in after while, and the progress that Taleworlds has put into this game went into early access has been....underwhelming.

Also I can't get any mods from Modnexus to load into it. Is vortex busted? Maybe its best to wait for release and a few overhaul mods to dig into this game again.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Looks like they're up to 1.5.7 on the beta. I haven't checked patch notes, but I think it fixes the engineering perks?

M&B always was about playing for a while and then waiting for the new patch. And playing a bunch of conversion mods, which I suppose haven't really come out for bannerlord yet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

quote:

Fixed a bug that caused the matchmaker to prioritize players who were in the queue the shortest amount of time instead of the longest.

lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh hey they added childhood events!

I also legit do not understand their idea that I'd play first-person Crusader Kings and run a dynasty. Everything takes so long.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

I also legit do not understand their idea that I'd play first-person Crusader Kings and run a dynasty. Everything takes so long.

yeah i feel like they need to fix the slowdown that comes late in the game before they develop this further.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I honestly don't think they'll ever be able to square these dynasty mechanics with the practical scope of a M&B campaign. It's the sort of pie-in-the-sky idea that sounds neat but probably should have been abandoned early on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
To me, the dynasty system could work if player death were implemented and leveling speed was dramatically increased and/or you could train your kids in the background. Killing a lord, having their kid kill you, and then your child take vengeance on them, etc could be fun if done well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
At a certain point they should shore up what they can and let modders take over that part for the future.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I honestly don't think they'll ever be able to square these dynasty mechanics with the practical scope of a M&B campaign. It's the sort of pie-in-the-sky idea that sounds neat but probably should have been abandoned early on.

I thought it could work if the player chooses a "focus" character and plays as them while the rest do their thing in the background. So if you become king/queen you can stay as that character, or be your kid who's out there being general or a mercenary captain or whatever and switch back and forth at will and so you cultivate a "stable" of characters to play as that changes as they die or age or whatever. Add in some dynastic stuff (son 1 gets this castle and son 2 gets this one) and it could make for something interesting long-term.

They really need to open up the workshop. I know there's Vortex, but there have to be a subset of players that aren't going to bother mucking around with those things. And technically it's still early access, but just put a big splash screen that says "use mods at your own risk"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

To me, the dynasty system could work if player death were implemented and leveling speed was dramatically increased and/or you could train your kids in the background. Killing a lord, having their kid kill you, and then your child take vengeance on them, etc could be fun if done well.

Yeah, it's a neat idea it's just doesn't fit with the timescale they currently have. Make xp increase by, like, 6x and time (at least background aging) move at least twice as fast and it might work.

Also it requires playerdeath being active.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, it's a neat idea it's just doesn't fit with the timescale they currently have. Make xp increase by, like, 6x and time (at least background aging) move at least twice as fast and it might work.

Yup this looks good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Agree about time.

They seem to have fixed most of the perks now. They seem ok to me?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Beefeater1980 posted:

Agree about time.

They seem to have fixed most of the perks now. They seem ok to me?

https://www.bannerlordperks.com/perk

Seems like most are there, except engi.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

https://www.bannerlordperks.com/perk

Seems like most are there, except engi.

Engineer is suppos3d added in the most recent beta which isn't on that website yet. I also haven't downloaded it so can't check.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I do really hope we get to a point where 99% of battles arent trash. They really need to do something about how prolific bandits are.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You'd also have to do something to make characters feel distinct and interesting. As is they're just a list of skill values and all the mechanic accomplishes is that every once in a while you get bumped back to playing a dude who sucks. At that point most players probably just turn off player death because it's annoying.

Obvious answer is to roll some traits for every character like Crusader Kings but of course there's a lot going on in CK that makes traits actually meaningful. The Total War series has a lot of characters (with traits no less!) dying and coming of age but it usually just ends up being a little bit of extra busy work. Oh boy my general in this army kicked the bucked time to replace him with another guy just like him except he has +4% to archer damage instead of +3% to infantry armor or whatever.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

personally, the reason i keep bouncing off this is how incredibly annoying it is to get quality troops, especially since they nerfed bandit recruitment. i just don't have the stomach for spending hours roaming from village to village looking for a Battanian Highborn Youth, and it feels really strange that you can't set your settlements to recruit for you or something.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Muscle Tracer posted:

personally, the reason i keep bouncing off this is how incredibly annoying it is to get quality troops, especially since they nerfed bandit recruitment. i just don't have the stomach for spending hours roaming from village to village looking for a Battanian Highborn Youth, and it feels really strange that you can't set your settlements to recruit for you or something.

Or worse, the village leader who was selling the highborn died and their next of kin only sells garbage.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

I do really hope we get to a point where 99% of battles arent trash. They really need to do something about how prolific bandits are.

Killing bandits is fun

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Enjoy posted:

Killing bandits is fun

right, but ir shouldn't account for 99% of what you do in this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Its so rear end-backwards since nobles really should spawn from, like, castles, and probably should cost influence or something in addition to the pittance of cash.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ravenfood posted:

Its so rear end-backwards since nobles really should spawn from, like, castles, and probably should cost influence or something in addition to the pittance of cash.

yeah this would be much easier and make a lot more sense.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

yeah this would be much easier and make a lot more sense.

It's got to be relatively easy to mod in a "recruit nobles" button for whatever cost at a keep you control. For more work, you could add in buildings in the castle or city keep that control the rate that recruitment option becomes available or the rate that they're recruited.

And if you really needed them to feel special, you could just limit them to a percentage of your army by size but that seems less fun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

right, but ir shouldn't account for 99% of what you do in this game.

honestly i think the autobattle needs to make bandits even worse so you can just autobattle through them if you want

but i think bannerlord would also absolutely benefit from huge jumps in capability between stats to make different troops more different

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also does it seem like a bunch of the perks got adjusted from being things like allowing you to pre-deploy to boring "15% more damage" type effects?

Why are sieges still absolute poo poo?

I've got a lot of hours in this game but the progress they've made is concerning.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Also does it seem like a bunch of the perks got adjusted from being things like allowing you to pre-deploy to boring "15% more damage" type effects?

Why are sieges still absolute poo poo?

I've got a lot of hours in this game but the progress they've made is concerning.

Pre-deployment never functioned in game though, it was just a placeholder tooltip

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

All of the games have suffered from a lack of mid-tier enemies. You always jump from 20 or 30 bandits at most to 100+ faction armies.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

All of the games have suffered from a lack of mid-tier enemies. You always jump from 20 or 30 bandits at most to 100+ faction armies.

in bannerlord at least beating up the mercenary clans with their lovely minor faction troops that max out at like rank 4 is easier than enemy lords.

being a tiny part of a big faction army should in theory work at getting you baby steps into fights against enemy lords, but last i played the npc map AI was still pretty bad so joining an ally lord's army doesn't guarantee you won't just spend time running around in cricles

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Enjoy posted:

Pre-deployment never functioned in game though, it was just a placeholder tooltip

according to a dev post it's still in the works, just not in perk form

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 13, 2021

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

Deserter battles at villages are pretty cool for something in between

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Enjoy posted:

Deserter battles at villages are pretty cool for something in between

Yeah, those are some of the best fights in the game, early on. There's always a handful of high-level guys mixed in there, so you have to work really hard to ensure your tier 3 rubbish can handle that one banner knight that keeps smashing right through your lines and out the other side...

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I always hit a wall after making noble. My games usually play out like this:

Beat up bandits and win tournaments until clan hits level 2

Do merc work until I have proper armour on me and key companions, 50k or so in readies plus a caravan

Get ennobled and kinda mess around having not very much fun. I am usually given a fief or two on the borders but then have to either stay near them and get wiped by the enemy because I don’t have the numbers, or spend all my time campaigning in someone’s army while my home fiefs are recaptured

Is there a better way to manage this phase so it’s a but more interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've noticed mounted bandits showing up? I don't recall seeing them before.

The fun is in the struggle, but that's true of most games. Once you're kitted out in full armor and have a huge army of upgraded guys you're basically in an endless cycle with no real further progression.