Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

little miss <insert area here> child pageants judged by creepy old men wearing fezes are an american staple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Love my favorite president

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Seeing the dinos on page 11 reminds me of the dental office on right off a main road and a neighborhood corner, with a dinosaur and a toothbrush.

That naturally was destroyed by a drunk driver, not too long ago. That is AMERICANA.
I think it might currently be being rebuilt and is a wire frame.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Kentucky State Fair was THE social event of the summer back in the 80s. It was usually held the week before school started so there was a good change you'd run into some kids you had not seen all summer. Lots of summer romances sparked due to this as well.

I'm sure a lot has changed but remember that Kentucky's two largest exports were tobacco and coal. Philip Morris had booth where they would hand out packs to Marlboros to anyone that asked, even kids. There was also a booth that handed out lumps of coal (with some kind of lacquer on them) which seems really strange.

There was a pipe lighting content where the person that kept their tobacco pipe burning the longest won. There was also a tobacco spitting contest.

The most popular food item I can recall was a fired pork chop sandwich.

Oh and stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60vZTZmXmY

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Do the fairs have chicken pooping bets? It's where you have a chicken wander around a gridded enclosure and people can be on which grid tile it poops in first.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I have been to not one, but two [animal] pie bingos. One with a cow, one with a goat.

Here's an example if y'all haven't seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhkxsBcQluA

The cow took his sweet time choosing a winner while the goat produced immediately.

in the 70s i went to a bunch of concerts in the harrisburg farm show arena, like dr john, ten years after, mountain, fog hat, etc etc

i have gotten high and danced in cowshit

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
This might give away where I’m from, but my hometown used to have porcupine races during the annual city fair.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
State fairs sound like they loving own tbh

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

This might give away where I’m from, but my hometown used to have porcupine races during the annual city fair.

I've seen piglets, goats, and *I think* chicken races.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Do the fairs have chicken pooping bets? It's where you have a chicken wander around a gridded enclosure and people can be on which grid tile it poops in first.

Yep. My high school band once rented a cow (I know, I know) and marked squares on the football field for "Cow Pie Bingo". You paid $10 a square and if the cow poo poo in your square, you won half the money. The rest went to band uniforms.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
then they deep fry the cow pie and the cow judges it

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Two words: Milk Bar. State fairs are great. It is my one yearly indulgence in Americana. Last time I went, I saw a horse and buggy competition with Wurlitzer organ music. I have also stood in line for a baked potato at the Big E and do not regret it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Where else do you buy your yearly hot tub besides the Big E? loving Coronavirus I'm going to be stuck with last years model!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The Big E is pretty nice.

I bought my traeger there and got 100$ off because of it

There's also usually a model train club with a booth selling 50/50 raffle tickets for autism awareness.

The Maine statehouse is the only place I can get salsa made by a weatherman on tv for like 30 years without going to maine also

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

State fairs are so gross, I love them.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You are forgetting the other things to do at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

Gaze upon the butter sculpture of the Fair Queen

Gaze upon the seed art

Gaze upon the miracle of live birth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVIvEjGXqc

edit for clarification: I lived in Minnesota for almost 12 years and I fukkin' love the State Fair.

I want this!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the Big E, but going every year is a mistake. Taking a year or three off to let yourself rediscover stands with new eyes is the way. Though, I wish the Big E had some of the insane fried food of the Midwestern fairs, I’ve always wanted to see some of those abominations in person.

naem
May 29, 2011

Missionary Positron posted:

Inzombiac posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
State fairs, and their Canadian (I'm from canada so...) equivalents really are something to see.
Like you have some pretty tasty food thats also going to reduce your life by several years. You can go on rides run, assembled and maintained by meth addicts.
And watch in awe as slack jawed yokels gape with even greater awe as local eccentric Billy Bob Johnson tries to set/break some dubious world record like the most Japanese cars jumped by a 1995 dodge neon with front tires set on fire using gasoline as the accelerant. While some argue that Last years jump by Jim Bob Jones in the 1996 Neon was better because even though he jumped the same number of cars, he used Diesel and lit the REAR tires on fire before the jump.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
As I said before I hadn’t ever been to a state fair until I was about 29. It blew my mind. I try to go every year now, except this last one with COVID and all. They still had it though

For those out of the country, there is always a giant sculpture made out of butter.

Here’s an example I found from google from the Iowa state fair in 2016

Life size butter Star Trek

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dear Watson posted:

As I said before I hadn’t ever been to a state fair until I was about 29. It blew my mind. I try to go every year now, except this last one with COVID and all. They still had it though

For those out of the country, there is always a giant sculpture made out of butter.

Here’s an example I found from google from the Iowa state fair in 2016

Life size butter Star Trek

Well Captain Kirk IS from Iowa....

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

wesleywillis posted:

Well Captain Kirk IS from Iowa....

he only works in space

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Iowa state fair used to be crazy too because of the caucuses, so every presidential hopeful would put in some appearances

Too bad they hosed all that up

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

State fairs are good summary of what's gross and amazing at the same time like a funnel cake.

https://twitter.com/JohnBeifuss/status/1124498113522278401

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

someone named their kid Leviathan??! :aaaaa:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Someone with the last name Spears, no less. That even beats "Crystal Spear" as far as my favorite spear-based-full-name combination

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Maybe they thought that's what Levi was short for.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

someone named their kid Leviathan??! :aaaaa:

The Lord of the Whorl approves

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

leviathan is a unironically sick loving name

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slumpy posted:

leviathan is a unironically sick loving name
There are some names that are absolutely badass but are still too dangerous to name your child in case the physical form does not work out.

Leviathan for an athletic dude? Probably gonna be the coolest person around.

Leviathan on a fat guy? Oh no. I feel sorry for even this imaginary person.

I would love to see the statistics on how people named things like Leviathan, Hercules, Adonis, or similar turn out.

Oh hold on, right, .jpg, a couple from my personal collection

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Missionary Positron posted:

Fairs in general are a lot of fun. Rickety, dangerous, gluttonous fun

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

hope she's doing ok now ❤️

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

McGavin posted:

Yeah. They're young onions that are harvested before the bulb begins to swell. The real mindfuck is that cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, Savoy cabbage, kohlrabi, and gai lan are all the same plant, selectively bred to look different.

White button, crimini, and portabella mushrooms are all the same thing, just different stages of growth.

Outrail posted:

How many people inject lead pellets into their puckins to cheat the weigh in?

I'm pretty legit sure that they x-ray them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

sliami posted:

hope she's doing ok now ❤️

The link still works, so you can see for yourself.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

McGavin posted:

The link still works, so you can see for yourself.

wait myspace still... exists? Dear god why.

Like do people still use it? Who? Again why? So many question!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

No state fair compares to what the Calgary Stampede is like. Especially as a local. A city of over a million people just dressing up like cowboys and drunk gently caress each other all day every day for a week and a half. People come from all over the world to revel in the redneck debauchery. STI infection rates skyrocket. Viral videos of daylight public threesomes go viral on the internet. It generates millions in tourist revenue. People can't wait to apply for temporary jobs at the grounds and wear it like a badge of honour. Kids enroll in band class specifically to work towards joining the Stage Band. It creates rolling power outages sometimes if the grid can't keep up. Our city center gets overrun by tourists driving the wrong way down streets. Light rail trains blare their horns constantly at traffic driving on their designated streets. The entire city gets covered in huge window paintings of cowboys, hail bails on every street corner, the smell of horse poo poo hangs over our skyscrapers for a month. It's wild up here, y'all.

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please

Picnic Princess posted:

No state fair compares to what the Calgary Stampede is like. Especially as a local. A city of over a million people just dressing up like cowboys and drunk gently caress each other all day every day for a week and a half. People come from all over the world to revel in the redneck debauchery. STI infection rates skyrocket. Viral videos of daylight public threesomes go viral on the internet. It generates millions in tourist revenue. People can't wait to apply for temporary jobs at the grounds and wear it like a badge of honour. Kids enroll in band class specifically to work towards joining the Stage Band. It creates rolling power outages sometimes if the grid can't keep up. Our city center gets overrun by tourists driving the wrong way down streets. Light rail trains blare their horns constantly at traffic driving on their designated streets. The entire city gets covered in huge window paintings of cowboys, hail bails on every street corner, the smell of horse poo poo hangs over our skyscrapers for a month. It's wild up here, y'all.

Calgary is an underrated city. I love the atmosphere up there year-round. If it wasn't for the harsh weather it would be a great place to move to. For now, it is a great fun to visit until this global warming thing picks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
they shouldnt have changed the devonian gardens