Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I wish the BTs in Death Stranding were much better thought out. When on foot the stealth is a snoozefest and if in a vehicle it's obnoxious as gently caress but would rather just reload the game just to get through the areas at a faster pace (Though I guess if I reload enough it's not faster but gently caress parking the bike way outside of the rain area and yay biking around the arena).

It's a nice chill game so far as I've only gotten as far as Port Knot City but yeah these ghost fucks are just way dull. Also doesn't help that regardless of how I travel, in some areas they're spread out practically Red Rover style across rough terrain and the well worn paths.

I just drove through BT areas and spammed the scanner so I could avoid driving into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Veib posted:

FFIIIDS was directed by the director of FFXI and FFXIV 1.0, Hiromichi Tanaka. Dude's whole thing was being stuck in the past and not seeing that video games and their audiences have changed over time (he joined Square in 1983 and worked on the first three FF games as a designer). Like XIV (2010) was explicitly made as a sequel to XI (2002), completely ignoring a little game called World of Warcraft (2004) that revolutionized what MMOs were and what people expected from them

What long-running game-designers stand out as gettting with the times, and who comes across as out of touch?

Chris Roberts doesn't count because he hasn't shipped a game in 25 years.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Jan 13, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jesus, of all the games to make grindier.

It makes a bit of sense when you understand that FFIII DS was very much intended as being for people who had played the original and were familiar with it, and so had some extra curveballs to keep challenging those people; job rebalances, new dungeon gimmicks, harder bosses, all that. Kinda like the RE1 remake, or a very early form of what they went with for the FF7 remake. Or perhaps more directly, like the 'Hard Mode' romhacks you see people make of classic RPGs.

Two big problems with that with FFIII DS.

1. The extra challenge was mostly just extra bullshit. It's hard to really blame them completely for this; FFIII isn't a very complex game, there's only so many ways you can crank up the challenge. But they definitely went too hard on it.

2. The original FFIII... you know, didn't get released in most of the world. That means that it's a pretty small minority of the potential audience that can actually understand and appreciate that extra challenge, and most of the players... well, they're just gonna see a bullshit-hard game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
For some reason I didn't notice the grindy nonsense in FFIII3DS. Absolutely no idea why, I'm not debating that it was in there - I think maybe the presence of a job system clicked some switch in my brain that made me not mind grinding or something, even though I don't remember doing much of it. Hell, after running through the final dungeon with one job configuration, the game drops you off at the save right before you enter (with all the xp you earned in the run to the boss) so I thought, gently caress it, and did it again with a different set of jobs. This is not something I'd ever do in any other game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
FF3DS sucks specifically for one reason: there's the exact same amount of save points in the game as there was in the original, which is none. You save on the overworld, that's it. The most obvious issue with that is that it makes the final dungeon into a fully absurd 1-hour-stretch with zero safety nets, but I also resented it in almost every dungeon, because the bosses are frankly entirely unfair in this version.
- they attack at least twice
- many have party-wide attacks that deal over half their health to less tanky jobs
- turn order is basically random, meaning your healer might have two turns in a row where nobody is hurt...then the boss gets two attacks at the end of the turn, and two at the beginning of the next before you can do anything

Because the game is overall pretty difficult, you can't just sleepwalk through dungeons, or grind enough before then run from everything, you have to pay attention when going through the stretch before a boss, so even if it only takes five minutes, it's five minutes demanding your full attention to run to a boss which might just decide to lolmurder you. It's a cruel, tedious, terrible game.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Got Darkest Dungeon for free on Epic last month and I've finally bounced off of it. I get that you're supposed to expect failure and it's not like I hadn't lost some adventurers or had to dismiss a couple of broken ones before--even my first two adventurers ended up in the graveyard at different points and I didn't even shrug--but the last mission I got was just bullshit.

The "X" madman mobs are just total bullshit at higher level. Encountering one once or twice in an expedition is just, fine, whatever. But I took the Vvulf special mission and

every
single
loving
encounter

had one.

Which would be fine if they didn't have ridiculous dodge rates. As it is, concentrating on one of them so that your entire party doesn't go insane just means that other enemies are constantly churning out damage, and you end up both torn to shreds and going nuts because you can't consistently hit them. Just a lovely, unfun enemy.

So I decide to back out and only then get informed that you have to sacrifice a party member to do so. gently caress. Okay. Nevermind, may as well continue. My game lasts until the next encounter which miraculously doesn't have a madman in it but my adventurers are so chewed up, 3/4 are insane and the last loses her mind in the first round and I also two in the first round to critical hits from mobs. Just exited out of the game and don't have any immediate plans to go back. If I'd had replacements for them I probably would have continued but these were level 6 characters and the thought of having to train up new ones from the level 0-2 characters you pull from the stagecoach, if there were even those two classes available, just sounded like work.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Veib posted:

It's real bad in a multitude of ways

FFIIIDS was directed by the director of FFXI and FFXIV 1.0, Hiromichi Tanaka. Dude's whole thing was being stuck in the past and not seeing that video games and their audiences have changed over time (he joined Square in 1983 and worked on the first three FF games as a designer). Like XIV (2010) was explicitly made as a sequel to XI (2002), completely ignoring a little game called World of Warcraft (2004) that revolutionized what MMOs were and what people expected from them

Isn't he responsible for the weird class system in XIV? Like he was sick of the classic FF classes so instead of Monks and Dragoons you had Pugilists and Lancers. Then when he was kicked off the project shortly before FFXIV 1.0 launched the new director said hey its an FF MMO so we obviously have to have monks and dragoons and etc. But at that point the deadline was close and a lot of work had already been done, so rather than just changing lancers into dragoons they tacked dragoons on as something high level lancers could transform into.

That's a story I'm remembering from these forums from over decade ago so it could be bogus, but I always did think XIV's system of having a trainee class and a real class for each archetype was weird and pointless. I guess the summoner has two classes they can transform into, but really they're just a dps spec and a healing spec, and iirc summoners weren't even in XIV 1.0 anyway.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
For those concerned

I have "gitt'n gud" and finished dark souls 3

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Isn't he responsible for the weird class system in XIV? Like he was sick of the classic FF classes so instead of Monks and Dragoons you had Pugilists and Lancers. Then when he was kicked off the project shortly before FFXIV 1.0 launched the new director said hey its an FF MMO so we obviously have to have monks and dragoons and etc. But at that point the deadline was close and a lot of work had already been done, so rather than just changing lancers into dragoons they tacked dragoons on as something high level lancers could transform into.

That's a story I'm remembering from these forums from over decade ago so it could be bogus, but I always did think XIV's system of having a trainee class and a real class for each archetype was weird and pointless. I guess the summoner has two classes they can transform into, but really they're just a dps spec and a healing spec, and iirc summoners weren't even in XIV 1.0 anyway.

I think the base class evolving was a effort to try to convert it into something useful with cross class skills, and arcanist was a attempt at making the classes have a reason to exist. Of course they realized later that trying to balance the class skills against the job skills was awful so they just went with jobs outright once they had time to do so in heavensward. Scholar and arcanist dont even share skills completely these days, scholar getting the same skills and looking the exact same, but being listed as a scholar specific skill if you check their skill page.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What long-running game-designers stand out as getting with the times, and who comes across as out of touch?

Chris Roberts doesn't count because he hasn't shipped a game in 25 years.

Yu Suzuki, the guy who made shenmue literally doesn't play or observe other video games which is why shenmue 3 was such a disaster. He straight up didnt look at everything that had been achieved and the advancements that had been made in game design, and when trying to make shenmues combat more accessible turned it into grinding for stats and having a built in input delay so that it can read button combos easier and make something "meaningful" happen every time. Just the combat alone is broken, but there's a daily cutscene that's unskippable and adds nothing, a segement where you are forced to gamble, just a billion bad decisions and the game ends on another drat sequel hook after basically nothing happens for the whole game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing how fast Fable as a franchise cratered. 1 and 2 were great, they had issues but were a lot of fun and well made, then 3 shits the bed hard and 4 is a Kinect adventure. Fable Anniversary is ok but I couldn't finish it with the Unreal graphics and wonky control scheme.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zoig posted:

Yu Suzuki, the guy who made shenmue literally doesn't play or observe other video games which is why shenmue 3 was such a disaster. He straight up didnt look at everything that had been achieved and the advancements that had been made in game design, and when trying to make shenmues combat more accessible turned it into grinding for stats and having a built in input delay so that it can read button combos easier and make something "meaningful" happen every time. Just the combat alone is broken, but there's a daily cutscene that's unskippable and adds nothing, a segement where you are forced to gamble, just a billion bad decisions and the game ends on another drat sequel hook after basically nothing happens for the whole game.

Super long video but as someone who hated the original games and had no interest in Shenmue 3, it’s an absolutely fascinating look at just how bad Shenmue 3 is.

https://youtu.be/FpNAKDx4CwY

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Any games have cool, fun drones to tool around with?

Space Engineers almost does. You can make cool drones with any capabilities you want, and they mostly work great, but it runs afoul of The Law that 'no space game dev studio can have a good UI on pain of death'. It takes like four buttons to get into and out of drone control, and none of the automatic features work without a full half hour of tweaking, each. 1200 hours and I've just barely gotten the hang of it.

I want a game where I'm running a factory and can get a drone to go and pick up something and drop it somewhere, like wreckage into a grinder or ore rocks into a crusher or some business. Heck

edit: drones in general are great. Factorio has cool drones but no manual control that you eventually automate, they're just smart enough to work on their own straight off the shelf which is great... I guess...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was hit with that out-of-touch feeling hard in The Outer Worlds. It felt like a game made by some dudes who had been totally out of practice for the past 10 years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I was hit with that out-of-touch feeling hard in The Outer Worlds. It felt like a game made by some dudes who had been totally out of practice for the past 10 years.

I've been replaying New Vegas after Hbombs video and man, The Outer Worlds really needs a deep-dive by someone. That game came and went and soon I'm worried that no one will even remember it outside of confusing it with Outer Wilds. It's so bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It's amazing how fast Fable as a franchise cratered. 1 and 2 were great, they had issues but were a lot of fun and well made, then 3 shits the bed hard and 4 is a Kinect adventure. Fable Anniversary is ok but I couldn't finish it with the Unreal graphics and wonky control scheme.

Fable talk reminded me of how annoying 3 was. The game's premise was that you were the rightful ruler but are deposed by your lovely brother (played by a pre-famous Michael Fassbender) and you have to take back the throne. When you defeat him he reveals that the reason he was such a harsh ruler was because there's some bad guys showing up and he was trying to prepare the country's defenses. Once you become ruler the game adds a countdown mechanic where completing the story moves ahead in time bringing you closer to the invasion. On the surface not a bad mechanic but it is inconsistent, with the final time skip going over a fairly large chunk of time. I don't remember the exact number but it is large enough that you weren't expecting the next story beat to be the invasion so the pacing is all off.

Also the game was supposed to move away from XP and levels but they just replaced it with something that worked exactly the same, just named differently.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I've been replaying New Vegas after Hbombs video and man, The Outer Worlds really needs a deep-dive by someone. That game came and went and soon I'm worried that no one will even remember it outside of confusing it with Outer Wilds. It's so bad.

Yeah, I'm a complete mark for those sorts of games, I enjoyed Fallout 3 quite a bit though it obviously isn't on the same level as New Vegas and I put 35 hours into Fallout 4 despite seeing it as one of the most disappointing games of all time for me but the other day I was looking through my epic library and saw I had played Outer Worlds for 8 hours, shelved it, and never felt any impetus to come back. It struck me "man, I cannot remember anything about that game except one of the companions seemed like she'd be kinda fun in a much better game".

I think the thing that really killed it for me was having levelled up a couple times, just looking at the available perks I had to pick from and not being excited by literally any of them.

An aside, something I realised playing through Cyberpunk and has been hammered home this year, one thing I'm really done with in games in general is inventory systems, management and comparing loot type poo poo. Unless the game is either really, really good and justifies the time investment of doing that just by that poo poo not dragging it down enough to mar the experience or they do something worthwhile with it which is rare.

Like Cyberpunk, nothing was added by having so much poo poo to sift through, Nioh 2 was a game I really enjoyed despite that stuff adding so much admin, etc. I'd prefer a lot less loot dropping that has really meaningful differences so instead of dealing with that poo poo for like, a minute or so every 10-15 minutes it's instead, 3-5 minutes every hour or some poo poo. If you must have it, let me mark stuff as I pick it up as junk and give me a sell all button or just let me instantly turn it into money/materials right there.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Jan 13, 2021

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I am 15 hours into Fire Emblem 3 Houses on Normal Difficulty and I'm restarting because it's painfully, insultingly easy on this setting, and 3 Houses is one of the frustratingly wide swath of singleplayer-only games that allow you to change the difficulty midgame... but only to easier difficulties. And I have to ask why? Why the gently caress cannot I not increase the difficulty? Why is that a thing in so many games? Do they think I'm going to steal valor?

I've heard there's a difficulty spike in the second act but I just don't care at this point, I'm bored as hell because all the battles are absolute mindless routs and all the between segments are just carefully strategizing how I'm going to keep snowballing the effect.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What long-running game-designers stand out as gettting with the times, and who comes across as out of touch?

I love your curation of this topic btw

Nintendo comes first to mind for both, actually. They're great at making novel, innovative games and while they stumble plenty they also manage to be ahead of the curve on so many aspects of game design. HOWEVER they also just don't get online AT ALL and never have.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

muscles like this! posted:

Fable talk reminded me of how annoying 3 was. The game's premise was that you were the rightful ruler but are deposed by your lovely brother (played by a pre-famous Michael Fassbender) and you have to take back the throne. When you defeat him he reveals that the reason he was such a harsh ruler was because there's some bad guys showing up and he was trying to prepare the country's defenses. Once you become ruler the game adds a countdown mechanic where completing the story moves ahead in time bringing you closer to the invasion. On the surface not a bad mechanic but it is inconsistent, with the final time skip going over a fairly large chunk of time. I don't remember the exact number but it is large enough that you weren't expecting the next story beat to be the invasion so the pacing is all off.

Also the game was supposed to move away from XP and levels but they just replaced it with something that worked exactly the same, just named differently.

Also if you've been playing landlord tycoon the whole game you can bypass pretty much all of the difficult decisions and just sit in your treasury room until you have all the money you need to win.

Since you know, income from properties is counted in real time but progressing the end game only triggers when you make decisions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBH it's kind of weird that capitalism unlocks the good ending

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

christmas boots posted:

TBH it's kind of weird that capitalism unlocks the good ending

It's a little weirder since you're king and buying all the land and businesses yourself.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it also had some of the dumbest, most arbitrary and artificial "Good vs. Evil" choices ever put into a game. During the first half of the game you go around gathering allies, and you basically make a promise to each one to do something for them once you're on the throne.

So then at various points during the second half each of them comes up to you calling in their favour. Whenever that happens, you're made to choose between either honouring it (usually costing a lot of money that could be going to defenses instead), or breaking your promise and instead going with some money-making option offered by some Evil Industrialist character. And these choices are often just outright cartoonish extremes. E.g. either you rebuild and refurnish the decrepit orphanage that sheltered you for a hefty sum of money, or you literally throw all the orphans on the street and turn it into a profitable brothel instead. It was incredibly dumb that you couldn't go "Hey, maybe we can hold off on this for literally six months until after we've staved off the literal apocalypse?". Or, I dunno, just imprisoning the Evil Industrialist and using his money to do everything. :ussr:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

And also depending on if the invasion you're prepping to defend against goes very well or not (100% dependent on how much money you have.), the game just removes 0-80% of the npcs roaming about.
They aren't very bothered about it though. There's just no consequence for doing poorly, other than there being a couple fewer people in the streets.
It's still an insane juxaposition though. Doing the orphanage example. It's evil to turn it into a profitable brothel, yet the funds gained from doing so would literally save a projected 400,000 citizens, due to the extra military power you can hire in.
1 Orphanage vs 400,000 lives. ( 1 Life is worth 1 gold. Every gold you put towards the military at the end of the game contributes to saving 1 life.)

And considering that the orphanage is like 50k gold vs the 400k gold income from the brothel, you should just be able to do a 'both sides' thing and take the money from the brothel to build a grand orphanage somewhere that isn't smog-filled fantasy london.

But yeah, the whole 'Everything has to be done now, instantly, and it cannot wait for a year after you incited civil war and took over the throne/deposed your brother.' left a really sour taste, extra so since it's what got hyped up the most in pre-release. 'The real thing starts after you're king/queen, all too many stories stop when you hit that point.'
I do have to admit though, I really liked a section in the middle of the game where the enemy's influence starts seeping into your pause menu and everything, as you're just getting more and more lost in their temple.
Though ridiculously cartoonish morality is par for the course for the Fable games. There's probably a lot of ways they could have handled the last act of 3 way better though.

(In some ways, morality in Fable is also very realistic:
In fable you can murder everyone in a town so that you can buy up their houses + shops to rent back out to the next inhabitants.
You'll still be treated as the second coming of jesus however if you just donate a tiiiiny sliver of the money you made from that to the 'good' temple's tithe.
Said tithe being extra cost effective because you're slightly evil due to the whole 'murdering entire towns' aspect.)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

As me and my brother like to joke, Fable's entire morality system boils down to: "Save the baby? Or eat the baby?"

Didn't stop us from loving the poo poo outta the games tho.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it'll be curious if the reboot remains as charmingly hamhanded about it or not.
(Microsoft announced 'Fable' last e3 apparently. As part of their push for more exclusives in their xbox+pc ecosystem.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC didn't divorce give you more evil points than just straight up murdering your spouse?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I installed Fable 3, found that it was mostly comprised of fart jokes, and uninstalled it again a couple of hours later. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I didn't like how the world each of the Fable games kept getting more technologically advanced and that the third had mostly dropped all of the magic and wonder for an almost played straight Dickensian England but with a few non-capitalist monsters. 1+2 had far more interesting settings than 3.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't need nuanced moral choices in Fable. Just make the rest of the game less lovely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thebardyspoon posted:

An aside, something I realised playing through Cyberpunk and has been hammered home this year, one thing I'm really done with in games in general is inventory systems, management and comparing loot type poo poo. Unless the game is either really, really good and justifies the time investment of doing that just by that poo poo not dragging it down enough to mar the experience or they do something worthwhile with it which is rare.

Like Cyberpunk, nothing was added by having so much poo poo to sift through, Nioh 2 was a game I really enjoyed despite that stuff adding so much admin, etc. I'd prefer a lot less loot dropping that has really meaningful differences so instead of dealing with that poo poo for like, a minute or so every 10-15 minutes it's instead, 3-5 minutes every hour or some poo poo. If you must have it, let me mark stuff as I pick it up as junk and give me a sell all button or just let me instantly turn it into money/materials right there.

Man, no poo poo with this. As good as Witcher 3 was I just couldn't be bothered to deal with all that poo poo. Same with Skyrim and the Fallout games. Just becomes a loving drag.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CP2077 was even worse than Witcher 3 somehow, I spent like 2/3 of the game not crafting or upgrading anything because dealing with the menus or trying to compare things/plan out a build was just a pain in the rear end. See also the leveling upgrades, just skills and abilities vomited over like a dozen separate screens :barf:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I am 15 hours into Fire Emblem 3 Houses on Normal Difficulty and I'm restarting because it's painfully, insultingly easy on this setting, and 3 Houses is one of the frustratingly wide swath of singleplayer-only games that allow you to change the difficulty midgame... but only to easier difficulties. And I have to ask why? Why the gently caress cannot I not increase the difficulty? Why is that a thing in so many games? Do they think I'm going to steal valor?

I've heard there's a difficulty spike in the second act but I just don't care at this point, I'm bored as hell because all the battles are absolute mindless routs and all the between segments are just carefully strategizing how I'm going to keep snowballing the effect.

I love your curation of this topic btw

Nintendo comes first to mind for both, actually. They're great at making novel, innovative games and while they stumble plenty they also manage to be ahead of the curve on so many aspects of game design. HOWEVER they also just don't get online AT ALL and never have.

Fire Emblem difficulty levels being a shitshow is a series tradition. I remember there was some game where where they bumped all the difficulty names up a notch for the English release, like Japanese normal was English hard, BUT they also completely removed the ability to create savepoints mid battle (or something like that, its been awhile).

But yeah, I played 3 Houses on hardest combination of difficulty settings available at release and it was still the easiest Fire Emblem game I've ever played. And I'm not some Fire Emblem Sun Tzu who coasts through the games on insane or anything either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Anno 2070's trade routes are starting to drive me insane. I have a production chain that isn't working because this shipping route is inefficient - the ship can't fully offload its cargo of enzymes and microchips - yet if I add another ship to the route, or create a new and separate trade route, that creates different inefficiencies that make one island start to starve. I really miss 2205's magically instantaneous and 100% efficient trade routes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Non-lethal combat in AC Odyssey is pretty dire. Which isn't usually relevant...until you get to a mission that requires you to non-lethally take down and recruit a couple dozen enemies. Your main options are trying to do a stealth takedown (which is instantly impossible the instant enemies are aware of you) or try to time your damage right so you can use a Sparta kick as the finisher, without kicking them off a cliff or something. Unequipping your weapons and fistfighting absolutely sucks, but if you're using your weapons you can pretty easily kill off the stunned folks lying around. Just a big turd of a system overall.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Use stun arrows w/ power shot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Use stun arrows w/ power shot.

I don't even own a stun arrow :smug:
(actually that's another thing that occasionally bugs me: because of the way the abilities are set up based on the face buttons, I find myself not really getting into new abilities once I find four that work well for me in melee or ranged combat. So I just end up ignoring stuff like stun arrows because they don't normally seem that useful and all my ability slots are filled up)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Shiroc posted:

I didn't like how the world each of the Fable games kept getting more technologically advanced and that the third had mostly dropped all of the magic and wonder for an almost played straight Dickensian England but with a few non-capitalist monsters. 1+2 had far more interesting settings than 3.

I kinda liked the first step, since handling modern development headbutting up against established magic and magical creatures can be done pretty interestingly. (Discworld's gone thorugh a similar industrialization from medieval/renissance to industrial england-ish.)
But at the same time wiping the slate of heroes and the guild of heroes also removed some pretty big parts of 1's setting.

And then as you say, with 3 they took it even further and it was just industrial england with the occasional magical creature here and there because they were there in the last games.
(And being royalty instead of another nobody-ish from the start is also not that fun a starting point I feel.
Starting out on the streets in Fable 2, dreaming about how warm and nice it is inside the big castle in town is way more empathic than 'prince/ss faffs off to boot their brother off the throne, turns out they're also a predestined hero for good measure.' with or without the ominous inkblot invasion hanging on the horizon.)

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

(actually that's another thing that occasionally bugs me: because of the way the abilities are set up based on the face buttons,

Doesn't AC:Odyssey have an annoying thing where you can have 2 sets of melee abilities, but not 2 sets of ranged? I remember there were 2 sets for melee atleast, letting you roll with 8 equipped skills. One for sneaking, one for all out combat, in my case.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

Doesn't AC:Odyssey have an annoying thing where you can have 2 sets of melee abilities, but not 2 sets of ranged? I remember there were 2 sets for melee atleast, letting you roll with 8 equipped skills. One for sneaking, one for all out combat, in my case.

Probably? I haven't paid attention because the dual ability menu system just didn't work for me. Something like MGSV's hotswap system works fine for me with eight items selectable via thumbstick, but Odyssey's two swappable sets of d-pad skills just breaks my brain so I ignore it and only use four of them on either end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I don't even own a stun arrow :smug:
(actually that's another thing that occasionally bugs me: because of the way the abilities are set up based on the face buttons, I find myself not really getting into new abilities once I find four that work well for me in melee or ranged combat. So I just end up ignoring stuff like stun arrows because they don't normally seem that useful and all my ability slots are filled up)

Blunt arrows are an item not an ability. Switch to them with arrow buttons while your bow is drawn.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic Generations has too many city levels (there is Speed Highway, City Escape, Crisis City and Rooftop Run)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mamkute posted:

Sonic Generations has too many city levels (there is Speed Highway, City Escape, Crisis City and Rooftop Run)

The sad part is that they're all pretty legit choices, but yeah, it is a bit much. I think a few could've been changed.

The 3DS version went for Emerald Coast for Sonic Adventure 1, which probably would've worked well, although it's pretty similar to Seaside Hill in Heroes--I'd probably give Heroes that haunted mansion zone it had instead. Basically all of Unleashed's levels were in cities, so you're in a tough spot there, but maybe Dragon Road or Jungle Joyride (the not-China and not-SE Asia levels) would've been more diverse choices.

There's basically no more iconic level in SA2 than City Escape, so that can stay. And similarly there's no fire-themed level in Generations outside of Crisis City, and no better representation of 2006 than a flaming hellhole, so that's fine.