Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I don't wanna be spoiled. There are some scenes, particularly endings that really reek of Spanos Sopranos inspiration, in a good way. But the theme always being the same further amplifies how masterfully music was leveraged in the Sopranos, I always think of how University is bookended.

I presume McNulty isn't replaced for the remaining 4 seasons so I guess they aren't gonna succeed in getting his badge but wondering how he's gonna get out of it. Either dude is dirty and will go down first or... He gets Omar to tune him up?!

Concerns me how appealing being a drunk cop is. Must be the Irish in me. He's no Tony Soprano but bringing the kids along to meet Omar? drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
McNulty is such a fuckup and he's the only person that doesn't know it.

In one episode he drunkenly crashes his car and after getting out to survey the damage, decides that the laws of physics are bullshit and recreates the crash. I think he's a charming character but it's no wonder that half the city loathes him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah that's an interesting thing I noticed on a rewatch; first run through, he kind of has an antihero thing going on and you're sort of rooting for him, but the second time and onward you're just like "hang on this dude just really sucks"

Great character, of course, just a terrible man

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How you gonna end an episode on a fuckin shootout that isn't even finished, involving the main dude??

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Made this for y'all

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1349174481173016579?s=19

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Many Saints of Newark has been postponed once again, this time to September 24, 2021. Shockingly, this delay isn't related to the HBO Max/Warner Bros. drama but because the studio seems to think it could be an awards contender.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JethroMcB posted:

Shockingly, this delay isn't related to the HBO Max/Warner Bros. drama but because the studio seems to think it could be an awards contender.

I can't have been the only person that was expecting it to be direct-to-video schlock. drat though, going in blind would have been incredible if it's as good as they claim.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
As goofy as the Sopranos is real life never fails to disappoint.

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1350204632602185738

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't disrespect the pizza parlor!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

big badaboom

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
My pizza never hurta nobody!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

fukken private pylie walnuts on the right there

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

pentyne posted:

As goofy as the Sopranos is real life never fails to disappoint.

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1350204632602185738

Gotta pay my weekly points to my capo..... *slides over $4 in an envelope*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He definitely looks like a guy who is loyle :hmmyes:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Biting the inside of my cheek makes me look tough, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

I almost kind of wish that was $400 a week because does sound like they mean 'a year.'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It literally hurts, thinking about how much the guy on the right must think he looks like tony soprano (famous cool guy and role model) in that picture

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

banned from Starbucks posted:

They make you kick so much up to them that you're left with nothin'

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Scuzi, it's eh, a little light this year.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Give me $10

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

It literally hurts, thinking about how much the guy on the right must think he looks like tony soprano (famous cool guy and role model) in that picture

"We both like cigars, it's like twins, fugeddaboudit."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Started a rewatch today and listened to the first Talking Sopranos. Jesus do they work out the dynamic as it goes on? Steve Schirripa won't shut the gently caress up for eight seconds.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

stev posted:

Started a rewatch today and listened to the first Talking Sopranos. Jesus do they work out the dynamic as it goes on? Steve Schirripa won't shut the gently caress up for eight seconds.

I'm at episode 7 now and it definitely gets better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I'm into Season 3 and they have a good dynamic going, and they get some really good guests on.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

Bloodbath posted:

My pizza never hurta nobody!

C'mon pop, go make some meatballs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Word to the wise? Technically sir, you’re an accessory after the fact.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

That scene was written and directed by Imperioli, right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He wrote the episode, but Dan Attias directed it. I’ve always loved that scene, it’s shot and acted as though it’s a bit from the first half of a Law & Order episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rewatching it I forgot they sent two patrol cars to the pizza place. :allears:

"This pie fit a pattern?"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Like something out of a bad movie yet it totally works here, I love it!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

That shot of Chris looking in the mirror made me lose it. Brilliant.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

phasmid posted:

I feel like the idea is that they pay a person/family enough just enough to keep them quiet. Carmella, already rich, would stand to lose just about everything as the survivors quibbled over the spoils.

Oh man could you imagine having to fight Janice for the family estate?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pennsylvanian posted:

Oh man could you imagine having to fight Janice for the family estate?

Finally, the AK47 from the pilot reappears

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

stev posted:

It's kind of it or miss for me. Like someone else said they DO have some great guests on and when the person is interesting it's a good listen.

I don't mind Schirripa running his mouth so much and I enjoy getting some behind the scenes stuff when they get into it. Some episodes are really good but others I just gloss over and tune out. My main issue with it was that for the first like 10 or 15 episodes the loving sound levels were so low I couldn't listen to it unless I was going to bed, even with headphones or ear buds. The bad episodes have a weird tendency to meander too much about...I dunno...pizza joints, some celebrity one of them met once, something they read for, a job they had, music they dig or whatever and, christ, listening to them, EVERY actor on the show was just phenomenal and the greatest character/performance ever and blah blah sometimes. I suppose I get it but it doesn't make for interesting banter usually.

Plus their god damned ads go on forever.

I gave "Made Women" a listen, which is Drea De Matteo and whoever Chris Kushner is

https://made-women.simplecast.com/

I enjoy that one for the most part but it's still half and half for me as well.

Neither are what I'd consider Deep Dives which is what people posting here would probably want.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 18, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's kind of it or miss for me. Like someone else said they DO have some great guests on and when the person is interesting it's a good listen.

I don't mind Schirripa running his mouth so much and I enjoy getting some behind the scenes stuff when they get into it. Some episodes are really good but others I just gloss over and tune out. My main issue with it was that for the first like 10 or 15 episodes the loving sound levels were so low I couldn't listen to it unless I was going to bed, even with headphones or ear buds. The bad episodes have a weird tendency to meander too much about...I dunno...pizza joints, some celebrity one of them met once, something they read for, a job they had, music they dig or whatever and, christ, listening to them, EVERY actor on the show was just phenomenal and the greatest character/performance ever and blah blah sometimes. I suppose I get it but it doesn't make for interesting banter usually.

Plus their god damned ads go on forever.

I gave "Made Women" a listen, which is Drea De Matteo and whoever Chris Kushner is

https://made-women.simplecast.com/

I enjoy that one for the most part but it's still half and half for me as well.

Neither are what I'd consider Deep Dives which is what people posting here would probably want.

Michael and Drea would've been a far better combination. I feel like they'd have had an easier time bouncing off of each other and getting into interesting discussions. Schirripa just doesn't seem to have much of note to say - he was a relatively minor (if great) character and honestly doesn't seem all that passionate about the show beyond the fact that it made him quasi-famous.

Really they needed someone with a bit more insight into the writing and production side - but it'd understandably be incredibly difficult to get someone on that level to commit to the whole series.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

stev posted:

Michael and Drea would've been a far better combination. I feel like they'd have had an easier time bouncing off of each other and getting into interesting discussions. Schirripa just doesn't seem to have much of note to say - he was a relatively minor (if great) character and honestly doesn't seem all that passionate about the show beyond the fact that it made him quasi-famous.

Really they needed someone with a bit more insight into the writing and production side - but it'd understandably be incredibly difficult to get someone on that level to commit to the whole series.

I'm hoping this'll change a bit at least once they dig into the season 2 stuff and onward.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

stev posted:

Michael and Steve Van Zandt would own.

except then the whole podcast would devolve in to talking about music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i like imperiolis absolute belief in nostradamus roswell and the like and schrippa's like ok whatever