Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dont bother with headsets with surround sound, especially if they do it by physically putting in more than 2 drivers. the virtual stuff is "better" in that you at least have probably not garbage drivers and you can turn it off and not use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I'm realizing that. I cannot understand why these are so well reviewed. They sound terrible. I can't tell where people are at all. It just sounds like the person is in every direction.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they can work somewhat better in other g ames, the issue is ironically bcos tarkov is using a positional audio system already. anything else trying to add more spatial information to the audio is going to really jack things up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Buy headsets for music and have a dedicated mic. You will always get better quality. I like, I believe, audiotecha or something for studio or close to studio levels on analog.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Buy headsets for music and have a dedicated mic. You will always get better quality. I like, I believe, audiotecha or something for studio or close to studio levels on analog.

This was my setup. ATH-M50x. Great headphones. My favorite headphones i've ever used actually. I've worn them so much i'm wearing out the headphone lining and the cord is coming loose. Then a blue yeti mic, but I have a lot of ambient noise in my room and wanted to cut some of it out. The yeti is just an awkward mic to use or gaming. I wanted to get a headset to cut down on some space and remove some ambient noise. I also wanted some bigger headphones to help the strain on my big ears.

Stux posted:

they can work somewhat better in other g ames, the issue is ironically bcos tarkov is using a positional audio system already. anything else trying to add more spatial information to the audio is going to really jack things up.

Yea, I figured that's what it was. I was having other issues with the headset too. Very faint sounding. I wanted to take advantage of my sound card too and I don't think the Razers were doing that. I already have them packaged up to return tomorrow and am gonna look into the soundblaster and a new pair of headphones. When I play games, ya'll will just have to deal with ambient noise. I'm trying to work on cutting as much of it out as I can.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ShowTime posted:

Then a blue yeti mic, but I have a lot of ambient noise in my room and wanted to cut some of it out.

This is veering wildly off track now but if you have one of the new NVIDIA cards that support RTX Voice, that poo poo is amazing at filtering out background noise, and not just constant stuff like hums or whatever.

But also you should only be keying up when you have a thing to say on Discord anyway so background noise isn't too huge of an issue.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Inspector_666 posted:

This is veering wildly off track now but if you have one of the new NVIDIA cards that support RTX Voice, that poo poo is amazing at filtering out background noise, and not just constant stuff like hums or whatever.

But also you should only be keying up when you have a thing to say on Discord anyway so background noise isn't too huge of an issue.

To piggy back off of the off topic poo poo, a mic preamp is a great tool as well. It helps to reduce noise noise. I will probably need to get one soon as my life is based around this microphone...

Here is a budget one I found: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GZZNY?tag=gr-mic-preamps-20

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I do and I do. I use push-to-talk, but I wanted to toy around without it so I could be a real chad gamer. The yeti at least has options for where it pulls in sound, so i'm gonna try that. But I also have a gpu that should support RTX voice, so i'm gonna try that too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you dont need a special soundcard for playing games, please believe me lol

also gaming headsets are perfectly good for playing games. i literally use one over my expensive studio headphones for gaming. dont fall into t he audio nonsense hole.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a tube pre amp for doing voip... losing my mind

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

how about tark tarkleton

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Stux posted:

also gaming headsets are perfectly good for playing games. i literally use one over my expensive studio headphones for gaming. dont fall into t he audio nonsense hole.

Are you talking about the RTX software that was just mentioned? That actually works. I just tested it. And some soundcards do make things sound better, like the one in my new PC. I noticed a major difference in quality when I got this put together. I'm not gonna buy the soundblaster that was recommended earlier, but I could see how it could improve things if you have a lovely sound card. I know because I had one, got a better one and noticed an improvement.

There is only so much you can do though, I even get that. But sometimes you want that slight bump and if you can afford it and like it, go for it. It's your money. Someone made the point about GPU's when I was building my PC that a Honda Accord will get you from point A to point B, but that doesn't stop people from buying Lamborghini's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stux posted:

I'll waste my money to stay bad if I want.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I had the AKG K7xx's which broke in one ear + an AntLion ModMic which was old as poo poo, replaced both with the Logitech G Pro X wired headphones and my buddies say the mic is way, way better. I'm also having an easier time hearing footsteps in non-Tarkov shooters.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mobos even make a difference. I've used gamer sets in the past which is fine if you don't need mid levels. Which is most games. Some have amps which are important especially with a bad mobo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Are you talking about the RTX software that was just mentioned? That actually works. I just tested it. And some soundcards do make things sound better, like the one in my new PC. I noticed a major difference in quality when I got this put together. I'm not gonna buy the soundblaster that was recommended earlier, but I could see how it could improve things if you have a lovely sound card. I know because I had one, got a better one and noticed an improvement.

There is only so much you can do though, I even get that. But sometimes you want that slight bump and if you can afford it and like it, go for it. It's your money. Someone made the point about GPU's when I was building my PC that a Honda Accord will get you from point A to point B, but that doesn't stop people from buying Lamborghini's.

no the rtx stuff works, its very clever filtering, thats not a soundcard tho. its been many a year since even the soundcards built into a mobo have been actually bad wrt audio quality, most of the difference in a "nicer" one will be stupid dsp post processing like watching a tv in the store on demo mode witht he saturation pumped. its exceedingly easy to make a dac that works well for pennies at this point. most of this stuff is truly nonsensical like ppl who buy something that does 24bit 192k just for listening or games or whatever, or buying amps for headsets that are like 30 ohms lol

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I only buy the most expensive headsets connected to my $3000 preamp with a pure platinum aux cord blessed by the Mechanius on Mars.

I actually use some $40 amazon noise cancelling RGB gamer headphones. My discord or something keeps changing all my sound levels so I make sure the sound is all the way up for Tarkov in the volume mixer. Then I wear the ear-destroyer headset, the GssH or whatever it is. On a quiet day in Shoreline I swear I can hear fuckers spawning in on Reserve

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ShowTime posted:

I just bought a pair of Razer Blackshark Pro V2 because they were the highest rated headsets and most recommended that I could find and I would not recommend. I bought them because I wanted a headset to switch from my headphone/mic combo, wanted something wireless and wanted something with advertised surround sound. The surround sound is the worst i've ever heard, with everything in game basically sounding like it came from the same place. My old setup did surprisingly well with surround sound.

I'm gonna be testing them more and deciding if I need to adjust more settings or return them.

All "gaming" headsets are bad. Just buy a good set of headphones and slap a Mic Mod on it for a microphone and you'll have better quality than any gaming headset ever will.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

most gaming headsets are perfectly fine for gaming and will come with a mic and be closed back. a good set of headphones and a mod mic will instantly propel you into an entirely different price range and if you are using it just for gaming you are wasting money.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cage Kicker posted:

I only buy the most expensive headsets connected to my $3000 preamp with a pure platinum aux cord blessed by the Mechanius on Mars.

I actually use some $40 amazon noise cancelling RGB gamer headphones. My discord or something keeps changing all my sound levels so I make sure the sound is all the way up for Tarkov in the volume mixer. Then I wear the ear-destroyer headset, the GssH or whatever it is. On a quiet day in Shoreline I swear I can hear fuckers spawning in on Reserve

If you don't user Monster Cables™, what's the point?

Stux posted:

most gaming headsets are perfectly fine for gaming and will come with a mic and be closed back. a good set of headphones and a mod mic will instantly propel you into an entirely different price range and if you are using it just for gaming you are wasting money.

Yup.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I had major issues hearing anything, mostly because I had to lower the headphone audio to stop gunshots deafening me. Then I found this via Beaglerush streams, and it hasn't let me down (aside from occasionally mishearing my own footsteps as 'oh poo poo, was that someone else?')

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/f04go3/how_escape_from_tarkov_has_helped_me/fgru37f/

tl;dr of it is it's an equalizer that makes footsteps more apparent, while also auto-ducking when the db hits a threshold. So unprotected ears / unsilenced shotguns no longer physically hurt while having the game audio cranked up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah or you could use comtacs and stop turning your game up so loud it hurts you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its literally what the comtacs are for lol

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I do. Still couldn't hear the same as mates. Now I got earpro for my earpro and I can hear everything.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i use the computer speakers

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

those microphones always sound absolutely terrible

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

havnt had to adjust my volume from where i have it for any other game, can hear everything fine, footsteps etc w comtacs clear as day, gunshots w/o comtacs are loud but not anything approaching painful. exactly the same volume level i have any other game. if you were feeling the need to crank it up and have to even turn to additional compression to pump the volume up further youre probably generally having things too loud and should turn it down and get used to that rather than trying to continually overcompensate your levels, because that will actually cause you difficulty in hearing quieter sounds. the middle ear attenuates audio when presented with a loud sound, and a continuous high volume like your pmcs footsteps cranked way too high constantly slamming as you sprint around will shift your threshold of hearing, which would then make relatively quieter things such as distant footsteps far harder to hear. you would then turn the volume up to hear those, which would only make the problem worse, while making even louder sounds like gunshots too loud for your ear to handle.

either way though, sounds like you should probably turn your headphones down op.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

those microphones always sound absolutely terrible

im not t rying to perform an orchestral movement over it, im talking. theyre perfectly fine. mod mics also sound like garbage except youve paid extra for them, might as well go all out and get a proper mic if youre that concerned.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
this game was already $150 i dont think spending money is much concern

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

then buy an nt-usb instead or even better get a proper audio interface w a full xlr microphone. or just use the mic on a headset that transmits your voice fine and everyone uses and no one cares and it doesnt cost anything extra and also the headsets are fine to good for their price range anyway compared to regular headphones.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

hakimashou posted:

i use the computer speakers

hell yeah brother

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
This game needs subtitles. *grenade pin* would be a real butt clencher

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I've done a mix of 500k dollar gun and armor builds, level 5/6 armor with semi auto shotguns using ap-20 and everything in between.

But gently caress I keep going back to SKS with 20 round mag. I just survived 4 or 5 runs in a row killing a 3 man in my last run all solo. I just decked my SKS out with the fab defense stock, sight, laser/flashlight and a decent pistolgrip + a silencer to treat myself which I'm planning on losing.

I'll go right back to base level SKS with 20 rounders full of BP when I do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why the SKS instead of Vepr-136?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

FileNotFound posted:

SoundBlaster Scout mode on inside buildings.
Holy crap I just tried that and it feels like cheating. Outside is horrible, it's only wind, but inside everything is extremely clear. I know this is just automatic equalizer adjustments but man... thanks for the headsup, never tried it inside.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ap20 railgun is best fun in game

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Is needing necklets for the ADAR trade new? Because I swear it used to just be a rechargeable battery.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bussamove posted:

Is needing necklets for the ADAR trade new? Because I swear it used to just be a rechargeable battery.

Yup, it's super dumb.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why the SKS instead of Vepr-136?

Most people who use the SKS over the Vepr claim it's because of the recoil. :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm fully prepared to be told this isn't true, but the sks feeeeels more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Moa is a stat you can look up in game, assuming the number displayed ends up being accurate(heh)