Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Zippy the Bummer posted:

can we talk about how awesome Animaniacs was instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908&t=25s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I will say that 90s cartoons are on a whole an order of magnitude better than 80s cartoons- you could erase that entire decade of animation and nothing of value would be lost. I never watched Teddy Ruxpin or The Raccoons so don't give me poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYs_GCy9PRk

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hot take: everything Klasky Csupo did except for duckman was loving terrible.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I will say that 90s cartoons are on a whole an order of magnitude better than 80s cartoons- you could erase that entire decade of animation and nothing of value would be lost. I never watched Teddy Ruxpin or The Raccoons so don't give me poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYs_GCy9PRk

That’s because Regan got rid of the regulation that said you couldn’t directly advertise to kids so everything became flimsy excuse to sell toys. Who gives a poo poo about the plot? Just come up with an interesting hook and a marketable design and go nuts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rocket Power managed to come out at a time when extreme sports were popular and trendy and it was still the lamest thing I had ever seen.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Bunch of Roger Klotz ITT

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Shinjobi posted:

Rocket Power managed to come out at a time when extreme sports were popular and trendy and it was still the lamest thing I had ever seen.

wasnt that animated by the same people who did Rugrats? it was so loving ugly, i hated it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah it was

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Legin Noslen posted:

Bunch of Roger Klotz ITT

Roger Klotz was cool and hella rich

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Snyderman posted:

Yea Doug pretty much sucks, the OP mostly got it.

Hey Arnold is a pretty decent show that feels like the writers knew how to identify with kids and occasionally touched on some hard topics fairly well: prejudice, poverty, abuse, etc. I still remember a couple of episodes.

stoop kid left his stoop!

Hey Arnold! was a fun show. I can't remember a ton of things about it, but I do remember there being plenty of down to earth episodes that had good morals for kids.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i watched a lot of doug but can't recall much about it at all. he ate bananas with pizza sauce once I guess. it was definitely a filler show between angry beavers, hey arnold, rocko, ren and stumpy, etc. very low tier, probably even worse than catdog

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Roger Klotz was cool and hella rich

didn't his mom drive a monster truck

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Flunky posted:

didn't his mom drive a monster truck

I think so? Meanwhile Doug's dad was the guy who takes family photos at a convenience store, you know that chump would be unemployable now

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

i watched a lot of doug but can't recall much about it at all. he ate bananas with pizza sauce once I guess.

I remember the banana pizza episode. Made me want to actually try it myself because my child brain could be tricked into eating sand if you made it look pretty enough on TV

The only other episode I remember clearly is the one where Porkchop bites a girl's leg to stop her from skating on thin ice, and then her rich family sues the Funnies and nearly gets Porkchop put to sleep. Which is kinda hosed up considering the stakes in most other episodes are just "I can't find a nematode" or "I hate liver and onions"

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Yeah I remember nothing from Doug other than that episode where they trick Doug to go out in the middle of a swamp and look for Nematodes.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

poisonpill posted:

I heard they were going to reboot it

they did, it sucked apparently it was a live action thing that made no sense

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

doug's dad is creepy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No wonder doug is a dork, look at his dad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
ReBoot was cool. I loved the plot driven season 3. I guess season 4 was kind of a "Futurama" style revival problem in that they made some direct to home video movies then cut them up for TV. The less said about the reboot of ReBoot the better.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Flunky posted:

doug's dad is creepy

:stare: Christ, he looks like a 1970s serial killer, with his "smile" that doesn't reach his beady eyes and his doofus haircut and sweater vest and that pose that looks like he's lecturing on why you deserve what he's about to do.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Doug had an anxiety attack about the thought of going outside soemwhete that he might see his crush. These days he’d be prescribed a gallon of prescriptions from age 8.

Does Doug grow up to be a super underemployed incel angrily posting from a basement, or a perpetual stoner grad student who’s in his tenth year of a comparative religion PhD?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
calling something "worse than catdog" is pretty much the cruelest insult you can give

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Wait here, you remember little about Doug and you're here to napalm it to the ground yet you remember Duckman as being "tight"? I was having nostalgia about Duckman until I decided to do an LP of the adventure game last year and it's the only time that I felt like pulling out of an LP because it's humour just felt embarrassing.

You don't even seem to have made an effort to rewatch it again to form your own opinions, you've just compiled this post from other people's thoughts and reviews. "I have to watch them again..." perhaps you should have watched them again before posting this so you could have formed your own thoughts instead of saying, "Their views say this show is poo poo so you should too!". You have a lot of memories about not watching Doug which are very vague on the bad times that you did watch Doug.

This post is a Bad post - possibly the worst.

I've often thought about rewatching Doug, the dynamic changes and inconsistency have always thrown me off and made things much harder to digest it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I worked/work at Nickelodeon (freelance now). They had big art installations of their characters- Of course SpongeBob, Ren & Stimpy, Avatar, the big stuff. But also the more left-to-the-past stuff- Ahh! Real Monsters, CatDog, Rocket Power, crap like that. There's a pretty cool eviscerated SpongeBob painting in the new building's lobby.

I never saw a Doug anything.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Wait here, you remember little about Doug and you're here to napalm it to the ground yet you remember Duckman as being "tight"? I was having nostalgia about Duckman until I decided to do an LP of the adventure game last year and it's the only time that I felt like pulling out of an LP because it's humour just felt embarrassing.

You don't even seem to have made an effort to rewatch it again to form your own opinions, you've just compiled this post from other people's thoughts and reviews. "I have to watch them again..." perhaps you should have watched them again before posting this so you could have formed your own thoughts instead of saying, "Their views say this show is poo poo so you should too!". You have a lot of memories about not watching Doug which are very vague on the bad times that you did watch Doug.

I've often thought about rewatching Doug, the dynamic changes and inconsistency have always thrown me off and made things much harder to digest it.

Sir this is the Nintendo Help Line

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The most unrealistic Doug episodes were the ones where he would get super cocky for some reason and start telling people he was really good at something—his friends all believed him for some reason; in reality they all would have just said “you’re full of poo poo Doug, we know you’ve never ridden a horse before”

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I vaguely recall an episode where he got super lucky for a day and started beating Patti in different sports for once and it was a bad thing?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Flunky posted:

doug's dad is creepy

WEAK GENES.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 15, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Doug had an anxiety attack about the thought of going outside soemwhete that he might see his crush. These days he’d be prescribed a gallon of prescriptions from age 8.

Does Doug grow up to be a super underemployed incel angrily posting from a basement, or a perpetual stoner grad student who’s in his tenth year of a comparative religion PhD?

I thought we esablished he grows up to be lame boomer animator Jim Jinkins

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Asterite34 posted:

I thought we esablished he grows up to be lame boomer animator Jim Jinkins

Lol

I’m glad Doug under up unhappy. I am pleased by Doug suffering

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poisonpill posted:

Lol

Go home Patti, you're drunk.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SO DEMANDING posted:

Not sure if this qualifies as a hot take since it's 100% true

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

goddamn dude they are serious about not signing that poo poo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

poisonpill posted:

Lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I bet Hey Arnold grew up to be some kind of annoying New York DJ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I worked/work at Nickelodeon (freelance now). They had big art installations of their characters- Of course SpongeBob, Ren & Stimpy, Avatar, the big stuff. But also the more left-to-the-past stuff- Ahh! Real Monsters, CatDog, Rocket Power, crap like that. There's a pretty cool eviscerated SpongeBob painting in the new building's lobby.

I never saw a Doug anything.

I assume because they ended up selling Doug off to Disney. Who then retooled it to make it more "wacky."

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

poisonpill posted:

Definitely the former. Doug's neuroses would only get worse as he gets older, he'd hit college like a brick wall and maybe come out with an associates degree in general studies if he's lucky.

At best he'd end up becoming the Harvey Pekar of Bluffington. At worst he'd develop an opiate addiction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doug starts buying pills from rogers mom, eventually marries her and becomes rogers dad

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

You broke my grill?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

I remember enjoying Aaahh!!! Real Monsters but also I have not watched it since I was a child and will never do so again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

The only episode of real monsters I remember clearly is the one about a big sewer surfing race nthe mobster society has based around humans collectively going on bathroom break during the superbowl half time show