Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The_Other posted:

No that's right, but Jack has the most romantic partners of the boys. First Shauna, then Mimi in Case of the Modern Men, and then (sort of) with Mildred in the last two stories. By contrast, while Linton has displayed interest in the fairer sex, especially with Little Claire in Case of the Missing Piece it's never really be reciprocated.

As for Sonny, he had Ellen the selkie in Case of the Fire Inside and an unnamed boy in Case of the Missing Piece.

Linton had some short term interest in Blossom, right? Like an hour or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gnoman posted:

In 1901 phrenology had been almost wholly discredited for six decades. There was attempted revival around the turn of the century, which this strip is treating as the laughingstock it was.

Well of course you'd say that, you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

catlord posted:

And of course, Axa

So Axa got immediately captured again after escaping from being captured, but at least this time it was a different place instead of the exact same place.

Progress...?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

spoilered for abundant cartoon boobage.

For the record, if anybody's offended by the subject matter, let me know. I haven't been spoilering this particular theme: although it's a white artist riffing on a culture he clearly knows nothing about, thematically, it's contemporaneous to every other theme he riffs on.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 15, 2021

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 12, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 9, 1918)

Nobody Loves a Fat Man (April 4, 1909)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 14, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 15, 1935)

Dark Laughter (September 16, 1939)

Mopsy Sunday (December 8, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (June 17, 1950)

“Oooops! … Howdy, Ma’am!”

Dinky Fellas (April 6, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 6, 1965)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (March 9, 1918)
living for the early 1900s comic crossovers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My free time is in shambles right now but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm teaching excerpts from Little Women in a course I'm doing on the construction of gender in US literature and I'm definitely going to throw that Rae the Doe arc in on the Canvas module.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

:discourse:

hope they love MiMi's Bizarre Adventure

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

A ton of people don't have emergency stuff on hand even if they ought to. (myself included - the closest thing I have to a flashlight is my phone and maybe some lovely tiny flashlight keychain I got from work. but I can bumble around my apartment just fine in the dark & I can't think of a power outage I've experienced that lasted more than ~10 minutes, so fixing that hasn't really been a priority)

Although the people who don't have a flashlight on hand are not going to be the people who have an emergency radio/light on hand, so :shrug: on that front.

Thanks to bad weather or, more often, the whims of my power company, I can lose power for days at a time. Sometimes if PG&E is feeling generous they'll turn the power back on for a few hours in the evening so people can shower and then cut it off again. It sucks as much as you would think it does!

Actually the key here is don't open your loving freezer. Or your fridge. Don't let that warm air in. Not if you have anything you really need kept cold, anyway. But if the fudgy bars really are the most perishable/important thing in there, go nuts, I guess. (No hate here, though. I'm glad they're being nice to each other. I wonder where Bernice is. Maybe she's loving dead.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (July 5, 1937), look at the gorgeous detail on that wreckage.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

[No strip was added for wednesday this week]

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/14/01

Brenda Starr 7/1/45

We've gone almost a month without a new guy falling in love with Brenda, time to fix that.

Smokey Stover 4/10-12/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Jokes about Humvees are already starting to feel kinda quaint.

Bonus menu! Need help with meal planning? 1945 has you covered.

("Top milk," incidentally, was milk from the upper part of the milk bottle that had leftover cream mixed in, so it'd be richer.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tensing up the right fist, winding up with the right arm, hitting Mark with the left fist, right arm outstretched in final panel.

I feel like even James Allen would have got that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 15, 2021

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

Worse, I'm pretty sure that's loving salt. It's white and chunky.

Judging by bottles, the others are like... old bay and oregano. Garbage tasteless spices for middle aged ladies.

You take that back, old bay is good.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually what would happen in real libraries in a similar situation is

nah it's just a bit of obvious fun innit :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Literal assault, and the librarian treats it as if it's Dustin's fault. Lovely.

Classic Kevin and Kell (January 11-15, 1999)

The mouse lint joke is sure to go right over the head of anyone who has no experience with pre-2000 computing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually what would happen in real libraries in a similar situation is

nah it's just a bit of obvious fun innit :v:

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts on how libraries work and how Dustin trivializes them.

So talking about the "finer points of married life" and Kevin won because he's a rabbit... They were totally boasting about who hosed their wife better, ughhhh.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Dustin really does live in a world where all women hate him on sight for no apparent reason. :smith:

Although I think this is the first time he's been straight-up assaulted over it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ah, there it is.

Mikl posted:

Literal assault, and the librarian treats it as if it's Dustin's fault. Lovely.
No, it makes perfect sense, Dustin is so obviously completely and totally unappealing to women! See, it's obvious, if you think about his immediately evident qualities to a lady he's never met before, such as:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

amigolupus posted:

So talking about the "finer points of married life" and Kevin won because he's a rabbit... They were totally boasting about who hosed their wife better, ughhhh.

I read it as a literal dick measuring contest, and refuse to think further about rabbits vs cheetahs when scaled to human size.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I actually hate that Dustin a lot, because it does what comic strips usually do: take a situation that could happen in real life, and bring it to a hilarious extreme.

What would happen in real life:

"Can I check you out?"
"Excuse me?"
"Oh! Sorry, I meant, can I scan your books?"

A moment's embarassment. It's a simple misunderstanding. No real consequences.

The hilarious extreme: Dustin gets slapped hard because of something that isn't his fault at all, but everyone treats it as if it was; and the person who assaulted him faces no consequences.

I'm getting real loving tired of Dustin being the butt of the joke when he's doing nothing to deserve it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It’s a very sort of boomer mentality too; that a female slap to the face is what instantly happens if you don’t show them the proper respects, dagnabbit.

Never mind that it was completely obvious, within the context, what Dustin meant when he said that. Is that lady employed by Ed to challenge him?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I suddenly realised that I had the band critic arc mixed up with the garage band arc in Dustin.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK_O-MdssNk

That is the end of Mr. Boop, a silly twitter comic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mr. Boop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK_O-MdssNk

That is the end of Mr. Boop, a silly twitter comic.

Better ending than Homestuck.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I love how Axa's character is basically Modesty Blaise, with a lobotomy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Samovar posted:

Better ending than Homestuck.

Don't think anything went from something I was way too into to something I didn't care about at all as fast as Homestuck did for me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Axa lives in a hellworld of starving and struggling people who still maintain excellent balanced fitness and skincare regimes.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

goatface posted:

Axa lives in a hellworld of starving and struggling people who still maintain excellent balanced fitness and skincare regimes.

So she's in a 1970s post-apocolyptic SciFi movie

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

For the last 100 years, everyone has been preserved under Copper Pyramids which preserve their youth and vigor through focusing orgone energy. It's why everyone's also super horny all the time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set shares the household duties.

Working Daze GAH!!!

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gets inside the creator's mind.

Cul De Sac cheers each other up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 17, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 17, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 17, 1989)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Now with even more cameos!

There are several cameos in today's comic. In the first two panels we see notable Tackleford resident Mad Terry, who has shown up in several of Allison's comics. The man smoking on the right hand side of the third panel is Barry, Shelly Winter's literary agent. More sinister is the other cameo in that same panel, the man with the cane and sunglasses is Magus Tom Pendennis, head of Tredregyn's Church of Satan, from Allison's other comic Steeple. Finally the two people by the coffee stand in the fourth panel look familiar, but that's probably only because other cameos are tricking my brain into thinking they are (the woman(?) with the long grey/silver hair MIGHT be Maggie Warren, also from Steeple, but I doubt it).

Do any of these people have anything to do with the mystery Mildred and Lottie have stumbled upon? According to Allison himself the answer is _no_.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Linton had some short term interest in Blossom, right? Like an hour or so?

I'd forgotten about that! They had an intense "pash" session at Shauna's parents wedding in Case of the Missing Piece, but the next time they met Blossom told Linton she wanted nothing to do with him, much to his relief.

Also look what I got in the mail yesterday!

Sadly, unless Titan decides to publish a another run of some of the earlier books, I'll probably never get a complete collection, as many used copies go for five to ten times the original $20 price.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 16, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 11, 1943)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I like this "cheerful smiling killed 6 men before brunch" Valiant. The complete works is on my list of "things I will totally buy SOMEDAY."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Light morning exercise, then a spot of wine with lunch.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Other posted:

Finally the two people by the coffee stand in the fourth panel look familiar, but that's probably only because other cameos are tricking my brain into thinking they are (the woman(?) with the long grey/silver hair MIGHT be Maggie Warren, also from Steeple, but I doubt it).

The guy kind of looks like one of Amy's original Bric-a-Brad employees.