Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Just ran by Target... they had an LG OLED BX on display with probably the worst burn in I've ever seen on a device. They weren't displaying a static picture either, it was some standard LG demo loop. This is giving me serious second thoughts about getting one. I assume the CX and BX are both similar from a burn in perspective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Could have just been a case of them having it at a backlight of 100 on account of it being a floor model. Burn-in scales exponentially with brightness so a display at max brightness might only have 700 hours before displaying burn-in whereas a set that has it at 50 (pretty standard for most home viewing cases) wouldn't start to see burn-in until about 4000 hours.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hdtvtest channel said a Big Deal for oled and burn in is when you turn them "off"/standby they do compensation or something cycles to help prevent it..unlesss the power is just hard cut off so it can't run, eg in a store where they flip the big power switch for the department off at the end of the day. PSA never buy a display model oled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Compensation cycle is not for burn in, it's for Image Retention.

The backplane of the display can hold a residual charge from a static image. The compensation cycle is meant to level out the residual voltage across the backplane so you have consistency in how each pixel performs.

Now, I guess you could argue that if IR isn't erased, then IR that isn't cleared could eventually cause the pixels to wear differently and cause burn in. However, pulling power isn't going to do that necessarily. In fact, removing power for a prolonged period of time can be pretty effective in removing IR due to the fact that all residual charge in the set ends up draining out.

I'm not 100% sure what the mechanism is behind the prolonged compensation cycle that you can run from the menu (or runs automatically after like 4000 hours), but I suspect it's just a more rigorous and cycles the backplane between min and max values to level set everything.

Burn in is simply wear and it's cumulative. Nothing more, nothing less. Higher the OLED Light, more accelerated the wear. Red wears the worse so red and yellow are bad.

Showing a loop over and over can absolutely cause burn in on an oled on a long enough timeframe depending on what it's comprised of. Considering that Target's main color is red, I'm guessing a 5 second graphic looped once every few minutes for a year might have been enough to do it in.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ah cool 'preciate it, good to know.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Compensation cycle is not for burn in, it's for Image Retention.

The backplane of the display can hold a residual charge from a static image. The compensation cycle is meant to level out the residual voltage across the backplane so you have consistency in how each pixel performs.

Now, I guess you could argue that if IR isn't erased, then IR that isn't cleared could eventually cause the pixels to wear differently and cause burn in. However, pulling power isn't going to do that necessarily. In fact, removing power for a prolonged period of time can be pretty effective in removing IR due to the fact that all residual charge in the set ends up draining out.

I'm not 100% sure what the mechanism is behind the prolonged compensation cycle that you can run from the menu (or runs automatically after like 4000 hours), but I suspect it's just a more rigorous and cycles the backplane between min and max values to level set everything.

Burn in is simply wear and it's cumulative. Nothing more, nothing less. Higher the OLED Light, more accelerated the wear. Red wears the worse so red and yellow are bad.

Showing a loop over and over can absolutely cause burn in on an oled on a long enough timeframe depending on what it's comprised of. Considering that Target's main color is red, I'm guessing a 5 second graphic looped once every few minutes for a year might have been enough to do it in.

You know a lot about TVs. Great explanation. I don't feel so nervous about getting one now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Here’s my C8 showing a red screen after a pandemic mostly spent playing Fallout 76 in HDR.

That’s just the lower left corner, there’s a few bits like that on the right side too. Or at least, there were. I ran the pixel refresher today, and it took care of everything except the dark vertical line, which is greatly faded now.

First thing I did was go into F76 and disable the power armor hud and change the non-power-armor hud to 25% opacity.

I got the tv in June of 2018, so it’s not even 3 years old. Any chance LG would do anything to help me? I don’t have any kind of extended warranty, just whatever came with the TV. And I guess I could check the credit card I bought it with to see if there’s any additional warranty there. But I’m pretty sure none of these warranties cover burn in anyway, unless you happen to luck out and get a CSR that’s in a good mood?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Where did you buy it from?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Check with LG first as they've been known to be generous if Burn In is the issue. Maybe try 2-3 CSRs if the first doesn't go through.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Disappointing Pie posted:

Got our Hisense AndroidTV this morning. For someone very used to Roku this is different.

Does AndroidTV have an app you can control the tv with like Roku does for iPhone?

Also the Android TV ui seems crazy low resolution.

There is a hisense app call remotenow that allows you to control the TV with your phone.

Need to make sure content sharing is enabled on the TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Good news, after consumer complaints, Sony (re) added VRR to the X900H spec page.

In addition, LG will be offering an even cheaper OLED sku with the A1; a 60Hz panel with HDMI 2.0.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2021

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mister Facetious posted:

Good news, after consumer complaints, Sony (re) added VRR to the X900H spec page.
It was never removed from the spec page. It was removed from a page talking about current feature support and as usual, the internet created QAnon-level speculation and outrage before even hearing an official clarification.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

kuddles posted:

It was never removed from the spec page. It was removed from a page talking about current feature support and as usual, the internet created QAnon-level speculation and outrage before even hearing an official clarification.

Then what of youtube videos from more prominent TV reviewers alleging customers calling in/chatting with Sony support and receiving confirmation that it was removed at the time?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

How anyone thinks that tier one call center support folks, most of which are outsourced contractors, have any actual inside knowledge of anything is ridiculous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Then what of youtube videos from more prominent TV reviewers alleging customers calling in/chatting with Sony support and receiving confirmation that it was removed at the time?

Those same support agents literally just pull up the website and read back the information to you.

They don't have any roadmap plans or anything.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vizio M556-H $398 shipped

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

In addition, LG will be offering an even cheaper OLED sku with the A1; a 60Hz panel with HDMI 2.0.
No VRR (which is busted anyways) but it does get Dolby Vision.

A1 seems like a great bedroom TV until you realize that you can get a cheapo TCL for like $250.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone try the Vizio P-Series X? I see that a new firmware was released that looks promising for hdmi 2.1 features. I see the 85" on sale for $2999 and while I'm still leaning LG, I've heard good things about their TVs.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/11/...refresh-rate-4k

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 15, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I recommended a lot of friends to buy Vizios when they were the darlings of the pre-TCL budget tv market and most had trouble, some serious.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've only owned two Vizios but both had reliability problems and Vizio was annoying as hell about the warranty. They exited the Canadian market recently and I wasn't sad to see them go. TCL/HiSense seem to have taken their market position at the lower to mid range anyway and I wouldn't trust them at the high end if that's where they're aiming to go.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I won a TCL Series 4 in work that I've hung outside as my previous outdoor TV fried after a few years. Seems perfectly fine for the money, but I had to laugh that the remote bundled with it feels cheaper than the Roku one I got with the $30 Express I bought a few years ago.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The only TV that has lasted more than 7 years for me has been a Sony DLP that I actually changed the bulb on a couple of times, but other than that worked perfectly. Both a top of the line Samsung and a loving $3000 Sony LCD went to poo poo after a few years. I visited my parents for Christmas and a Sony Trinitron that my best friend gave me before he left for college that had been sitting in the attic with a SNES still plugged into it fired up with no problems. My current TV is a $250 HiSense that looks better than the (previously mentioned) Sony that died. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think I'll ever spend a bunch of money on a TV again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna touch wood so I go home and all my TVs are still working, but I haven't had a problem with a TV dying unexpectedly since I had one of those JVC HD CRTs they were doing for a small amount of time. I sold on my Sony Rear Projection and my Panny Plasma and I believe they lasted a good chunk longer (so past the 7 year benchmark) and my OLED is going to be 5 this year.

The aforementioned TV I talked about that died lived on a mount outside in Florida, so it's death after 3 years isn't unexpected. I'm going to get a cover for the new one though just to help it a little.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
I've been reading this thread a long time and I'm ready to go LG CX 65" as early as next week.
I'm coming from a 40" Sony XBR4 that I bought 13 years ago. It still works great too; never had any problems.
Since everyone is talking about their broken TVs, is the five-year Best Buy warranty the way to go or are there better options?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Best Buy warranty is pretty good for they also cover burn in.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Best Buy warranty is pretty good for they also cover burn in.

What about Costco? They have a deal with the CX right now where you can get a three year extended warranty from State Farm for free.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Supposedly Costco warranty does not cover burn in.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd be weary of any warranty that alleges to cover burn-in. There's probably a lot of strings attached and it might be hard to actually file a claim for it if the need ever arises.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scan a copy of the warranty, whichever way you go; I'll add a google drive link to the FAQ for the fine print.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

I've been reading this thread a long time and I'm ready to go LG CX 65" as early as next week.
I'd wait for the C1. New UI, next-gen image processor, auto scene detection, etc. The CX was kind of meh.

American McGay posted:

I'd be weary of any warranty that alleges to cover burn-in.
The reports on the net range from "BB looked at it and gave me the price I paid towards a new TV" to "they outright replaced it after looking at it for 5 seconds" to "it went to a shop for a week and got fixed". Doesn't sound like they're quibbling on the warranty claims.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Weary = tired, exhausted
Wary = cautious, suspect

rustyshackelford
May 31, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I'd wait for the C1. New UI, next-gen image processor, auto scene detection, etc. The CX was kind of meh.

How long after announcements do these typically release? Just started getting interested in a new set and I was close enough to new announcements I thought I’d wait.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

End of Q4, and summer, but everything in 2020 was delayed, sooo v:v:v

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

rustyshackelford posted:

How long after announcements do these typically release? Just started getting interested in a new set and I was close enough to new announcements I thought I’d wait.

Last year the 2020 pricing and availability was announced mid March so that's probably a reasonable estimate for the 2021 panels.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

FilthyImp posted:

Really that big of a difference? Figured I'd have to wait until ~April to buy a 65" C1 for closer to $2400 when I could get the CX for $1950 next week.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

Really that big of a difference? Figured I'd have to wait until ~April to buy a 65" C1 for closer to $2400 when I could get the CX for $1950 next week.

The software might end up offering some QoL features but ultimately should have no impact on picture quality. The press release made no mention of actual improvements to key stats like peak brightness, so it looks like CX -> C1 is another incremental upgrade like C9 -> CX was. If you want something more substantial, that's possible this year, but you'll have to get the G1 instead of the C1 and there's no word yet on how much of a premium that'll cost.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Weary = tired, exhausted
Wary = cautious, suspect
Thank you, TITTIEKISSER69.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well, I just got weary of seeing such frequent misuse.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I am wary of the interaction between forums user TITTIEKISSER69 and forums user KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I am noticing audio sync issues with Disc playback running a Sony UBP-x700 through a Denon AVR s750h into a TCL R635. Streaming - both in the native Roku apps and the blu-ray player - works fine. However, when playing blu-rays, the audio sync is noticeably off.

I have tried running the video directly to the tv and letting the receiver handle just audio processing, but that didn’t resolve the issue. When both video and audio are sent straight to the TV, there’s no problem, so I’m guessing the receiver is the cause. I was able to use the built in audio delay function to more or less get things in line, but the delay is approximately 300 ms, which seems really high?

Can anyone guess whether this is an actual hardware problem, or just a function of the technology?