Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

nah it figured itself out after a couple reboots. not sure if it did any lasting damage. fresh 20h2 install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

tmfc posted:

nah it figured itself out after a couple reboots. not sure if it did any lasting damage. fresh 20h2 install.

that was enough time for bob and enzo to defeat megabyte and restore order

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Welp, booking OSCP exam today.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Fart Sandwiches posted:

that was enough time for bob and enzo to defeat megabyte and restore order

reboot!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CyberPingu posted:

good luck!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

nice. hope you do better than I.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OCSPISSSSSSSSSSSSSS

also goodluck

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Only Sinners Can Pass

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

CyberPingu posted:

what did you do to prepare for it? I been in this realm for a long time and build security training for a living so im wondering if it would be something I could read up on the specifics and probably do ok, or is it something I should dedicate my free time to.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

what did you do to prepare for it? I been in this realm for a long time and build security training for a living so im wondering if it would be something I could read up on the specifics and probably do ok, or is it something I should dedicate my free time to.

Uhh lots? But i also still dont feel ready, luckily for me my company has agreed to pay for 90 days lab time

https://www.netsecfocus.com/oscp/2019/03/29/The_Journey_to_Try_Harder-_TJNulls_Preparation_Guide_for_PWK_OSCP.html

I also bought The Cyber Mentors courses on Ethical Hacking, Priv Esc etc. and are going through those.

Obviously Try Hack Me, VulnHub and Hack The Box are a must for practicing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

if you have a workflow for recon, exploit id, attack, implant, etc. it'll be easy. if you haven't actually done that stuff for a couple years, probably do the labs. if you can do the labs, the exam isn't a problem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was wondering why signal was failing to connect today, and this was just posted to outages:

quote:

Just a FYI that Signal messenger is experiencing experiencing an outage at the moment with lots of messages not going through or being delayed for a long time. Likely culprit is its sudden spike in popularity due to some high profile people tweeting about it and a large crowd of anti-government rabble looking for an app they can use that won't/can't censor their communications.

god dammit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yah, between the WhatsApp news and the crackdown on hate speech from other services, signal has been seeing a crazy number of new users

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

an idea of what their growth looked like this week:

https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1349577579091566592?s=21

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

an idea of what their growth looked like this week:

lomarf
https://twitter.com/ponolus/status/1349594392080887809
"please introduce privacy compromising features!!!1"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But is the subtext that these are people who used to use Parler? Why would they celebrate that?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xtal posted:

But is the subtext that these are people who used to use Parler? Why would they celebrate that?

I think timeline wise, those numbers are mostly former WhatsApp users, I don’t think the former parler users starting coming over in large numbers until telegram started shutting down hate groups too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don’t get me wrong though, signal is going to have to do something if they don’t want to become known as “the nazi messaging service”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean i'm sure nazis were trickling in yesterday too but today they just completely destroyed it

also i def. wouldn't put it past the signal team to be fine with all that because nearly every single person i've ever seen who makes actual good cryptography stuff is also that particular brand of libertarian idiot, oh well

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truga posted:

lomarf
https://twitter.com/ponolus/status/1349594392080887809
"please introduce privacy compromising features!!!1"

b-b-but you are missing the hype! the hype!!!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Signal is experiencing technical difficulties. We are working hard to restore service as quickly as possible.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

i mean i'm sure nazis were trickling in yesterday too but today they just completely destroyed it

also i def. wouldn't put it past the signal team to be fine with all that because nearly every single person i've ever seen who makes actual good cryptography stuff is also that particular brand of libertarian idiot, oh well

Moxie is supposed to be antifa, and he has the endorsement of some people I know to be

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

Moxie is supposed to be antifa, and he has the endorsement of some people I know to be

well i hope you're right, i kinda got the opposite vibes back when they were refusing to let third-party clients on their server but that's all i know about em' so eh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think private person to person communication falls in a different category than Facebook groups and Twitter that broadcast their content to the rest of the world. There's a difference between "we can't censor the nazis because we don't know what people are talking about because of crypto" and "we can't censor the nazi Facebook group at this very visible URL because we pretend to care about free speech"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I do wonder if signal leaning in to their anarchist/leftist branding in their advertising material is partly in the hope it will put right wingers off colonising the app en masse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

I think private person to person communication falls in a different category than Facebook groups and Twitter that broadcast their content to the rest of the world. There's a difference between "we can't censor the nazis because we don't know what people are talking about because of crypto" and "we can't censor the nazi Facebook group at this very visible URL because we pretend to care about free speech"

ok but also i do not want them to use it because they are bad people and it is a thing i like

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

I do wonder if signal leaning in to their anarchist/leftist branding in their advertising material is partly in the hope it will put right wingers off colonising the app en masse

I know of a couple examples of right wing folk who don't want to use Signal because BLM and Antifa uses it and Jack Dorsey likes it. They went to Telegram.
Which, well, enjoy your unencrypted group chats I guess.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I know of a couple examples of right wing folk who don't want to use Signal because BLM and Antifa uses it and Jack Dorsey likes it. They went to Telegram.
Which, well, enjoy your unencrypted group chats I guess.

telegram also deleted a bunch of nazi groups from their platform this week

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i was wondering why signal was failing to connect today, and this was just posted to outages:

god dammit

Ugh same I thought it was just me holding it wrong

I’m wondered why I was seeing my chud uncles on it suddenly

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

don’t get me wrong though, signal is going to have to do something if they don’t want to become known as “the nazi messaging service”

This is completely ridiculous. Nazis are not the only people who like not having their conversations read by the NSA or their data sold by Facebook. Literally dozens of my friends and family joined in the past few days thanks to the WhatsApp privacy policy (with some gentle encouragement from yours truly, but they still did it!)

This is reminiscent of all the terrible government arguments about encryption playing on fears of terrorists and pedophiles.

Telegram and Signal are both perfectly fine products with various pros and cons, use whichever one you can get people to use. If you don’t want to use it because gee, bad people might too I have bad news about whatever you’re writing posts on.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 15, 2021

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I’m pissed because I moved my group friend chat over there last year and them falling over right now is really annoying :smith:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Iron Rose posted:

This is completely ridiculous.

Some 80% of Signal's current Android userbase seems to have downloaded it after January 6 for some weird reason.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shame Boy posted:

I've seen those types libertarian idiots go 10% nazi, 60% antifa, 70% furry in the past five years though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

smh if you never used textsecure and redphone from release

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

If you don’t want to use it because gee, bad people might too I have bad news about whatever you’re writing posts on.

This isn’t the concern at all.

in case you haven’t noticed, a bunch of nazi’s got deplatformed recently and a bunch of them have headed to signal

as a result, signal runs the risk of becoming known as the “messaging app of choice for nazis” instead of just “a good privacy focused messaging app”

if that perception shifts it will absolutely affect how many people use the app and their revenue stream

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

opsec more like opsuck

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah idk it's not "bad people use this thing too", that's true of everything obviously. it's just if enough bad people use it it becomes the pepe of messaging apps, and you then have to either um actually every single person you try to convince to install it and be that fuckin' guy, or just give up on it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

yeah idk it's not "bad people use this thing too", that's true of everything obviously. it's just if enough bad people use it it becomes the pepe of messaging apps, and you then have to either um actually every single person you try to convince to install it and be that fuckin' guy, or just give up on it

Hello, it's me, every law enforcement chief who warns about their intelligence "going dark" because of encryption, for I believe decades now?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Volmarias posted:

Hello, it's me, every law enforcement chief who warns about their intelligence "going dark" because of encryption, for I believe decades now?

O are you the same guy who sent around the "CLOWN GANG" communique warning us that juggalos were coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

that’s not even what we’re saying and I’m sure everyone here agrees that’s a lovely strawman