Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Outpost22 posted:

Hmm I guess you do need the maidens clothes in the long path, just not as a disguise. Or maybe Alexander is in to that sort of thing, I won't kink shame.

Now that I think about it, didn't Roger Wilco also dress in women's clothes in the Space Quest game that came out around this games release?

They're not "needed" per se, they just get used up automatically to lock you out of the short route (and get you a hair if you missed it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Straight White Shark posted:

They're not "needed" per se, they just get used up automatically to lock you out of the short route (and get you a hair if you missed it.)

Without them you die there and can't do the long route, so yeah I'd say they are in fact needed.

edit: Now I'm questioning myself, but I think Alexander burns to death before the spell can go off if you don't have the clothes to beat out the flames.
double edit: and you can't even get this far without getting the clothes, since the beast's curse would finish you otherwise. I should think before posting.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 14, 2021

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Snorb posted:

Yeah, he had to wear a dress to fool an ATM camera in Space Quest IV so he could steal a bunch of money from a debit card.

(It's... complicated.)

More or less complicated than making a fake mustache out of syrup and cat hair or order to disguise yourself as a guy who doesn't have a mustache?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

More or less complicated than making a fake mustache out of syrup and cat hair or order to disguise yourself as a guy who doesn't have a mustache?

Let's see... buying a replacement pair of pants so you can get a job to earn enough buckazoids to buy a dress so you can rob an ATM so you can buy a computer plug that turns out to be completely loving optional because it turns out you can just rely on Gary Owens' audible "You hear an electronic hum approaching from (ahead of you, your left, your right, behind you)" warnings to duck the security robots at the end of the game...

Still less complicated, and didn't result in the death of the Sierra-style adventure game!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Also Guybrush Threepwood had to dress like a lady in Monkey Island 2. I'm thinking at this point what 90s adventure game protagonist didn't dress in their opposite genders clothes?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Crossdressing humor was prevalent in the 90's, mostly just a source of immature cheap laughs than any sign of progressivism. Alexander's voice actor even does the exaggerated high-pitched falsetto.

The 90's, especially for gaming, was a period that was really insecure about masculinity. Some might say that the games industry still is.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I think Rincewind was protagonist of some Discworld adventures around the time and he wears robes pretty much all the time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

GuyUpNorth posted:

I think Rincewind was protagonist of some Discworld adventures around the time and he wears robes pretty much all the time.

And multiple NPCs snigger about him wearing a dress in both Discworld 1 and 2.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

Also Guybrush Threepwood had to dress like a lady in Monkey Island 2. I'm thinking at this point what 90s adventure game protagonist didn't dress in their opposite genders clothes?

Gabriel Knight wouldn't be caught dead wearing a dress. The entire reason he does the cat hair moustache thing is so he can drive around on a manly Harley motorcycle instead of a purple moped.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

XVII - Ticket, please! Next!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 17, 2021

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
It was a nice touch that we see the screen that we see when we die here. It makes sense for it to be here.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, definitely don't remember this!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

grandalt posted:

It was a nice touch that we see the screen that we see when we die here. It makes sense for it to be here.

I figured we'd be coming here just because of the death screen.

Be a bit odd to have something like that in a series like this and not use it for actual gameplay.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The bone xylophone was and is a supreme dick move. "I forgot what" much younger me screamed when I played this game last.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

The bone xylophone was and is a supreme dick move. "I forgot what" much younger me screamed when I played this game last.

My first two thoughts when I got to this screen as a kid were

1. I want that key
2. I want to play those bones like a xylophone

so this wasn't really an issue for me.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I love the xylophone scene, and I love how in Monkey Island 2 there's a scene with the same tune used as a clue for a puzzle later in the game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yeah I think the first thing I did here was xylophone. This part of the game is so good :getin:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Same. Saaame. We've been seeing the xylophone all game long every time I've posted dead.gif. So that's plenty of time to see it and think "that looks like something that can be used..."

Also in case anyone is wondering, here's someone's recording of the original scene. Personally I think Oingo Boingo is funnier than Dem Bones

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Neurion posted:

I love the xylophone scene, and I love how in Monkey Island 2 there's a scene with the same tune used as a clue for a puzzle later in the game.

When I did a joke video dubbing over this scene with lines from Mask of Eternity, I used that very tune here. I'd link it, but it covers the entire Land of the Dead portion of the game, so it's way too early.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DoubleNegative posted:

Also in case anyone is wondering, here's someone's recording of the original scene. Personally I think Oingo Boingo is funnier than Dem Bones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOinmXEvEXc

Anyways, I'm reasonably sure you don't actually NEED the handkerchief. Not sure about the skeleton key.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

XVIII - Burden Me Not With Thine Poetry

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 20, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's a really strong sequence.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This was one of my favourite parts to play and the strongest thing I remembered from this game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Man, who knew that Alexander would visit somewhere out in the Styx like this? :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm sure there are tons of places in the game where they have special messages for many of the items you can use, including some that you'd never be expected to have at that point, but the Lord of the Dead's challenge really stands out for me. The bottle of milk is another particularly amusing one, and there are lots of other interesting interactions. Probably some I've never found.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Zounds! That sounds serious!

:allears:

This is the best part of the game, and maybe all of Sierra gaming. The setting, the solutions, the script and narration, it all just comes together right here.

Also I’d never seen Alex’s death animation when the Lord of the Dead touches him, that’s amazing. Alex’s hair is immortal :v:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Quackles posted:

Man, who knew that Alexander would visit somewhere out in the Styx like this? :v:

:golfclap:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

There's a game over you can get here that I only just learned about literally tonight. If you wait too long, Charon will leave and you get killed and then punished with an especially bad pun. To get that, you'd have to be really ignorant of mythology because everyone and their grandmother knows what to do here.
Hey now, you can't tease us like this and not mention what the terrible pun is.

Quackles posted:

A+.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I dunno why, but I distinctly remember a Queen of the Dead next to the Lord. Maybe I'm mixing things up with another game. Maybe I've been playing too much Hades lately.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

Hey now, you can't tease us like this and not mention what the terrible pun is.

May I direct your attention to this site which seems to be a comprehensive "the many deaths of Alexander" guide.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

May I direct your attention to this site which seems to be a comprehensive "the many deaths of Alexander" guide.

I was flipping through the deaths because I vaguely remembered the Lord of the Dead killing you if you linger too long (he does), and found this little snippet if you fail the Gate's riddle:

Which definitely seems to be pointing at the page clipping from the black widow's web as a clue.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
There's a death missing; after Gate wakes up and calls to Alexander, he can jump into the River Styx (and as expected from such a stupid stunt, this costs Alex his life.)

The only real difference between any other dip in that Exxon water and this one are two lines.

NARRATOR: Unable to think of any other way around the fierce Gate, Alexander decides to brave the River Styx.

GATE: You may cheat me of your flesh, human, but you can't cheat Death of your soul!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

That’s great :dadjoke:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I believe you can talk to the Lord of the Dead after making the challenge, where Alexander offers to tell his tale of trying to find Cassima - and the Lord interrupts with basically 'do you know how many tragic love stories I've heard?'

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Actually, now I'm curious what other inventory objects (besides the mirror and the book) get a reaction from the Lord of the Dead.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Snorb posted:

Actually, now I'm curious what other inventory objects (besides the mirror and the book) get a reaction from the Lord of the Dead.
:same:

It's a pretty good sequence.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It won't let you try most of them actually.

edit: The narrator just says "The lord of the dead is unlikely to be moved by that"

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Gate :allears:
Absolutely my favourite. Avatar-worthy.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

XIX - Princes Have no Sense of Humor

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Se-cret tunnel! :guitar: