Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LorneReams posted:

This seems funny, almost like One Punch Man except it's a modest kid who has no idea he is strong. Long name. No gross stuff yet. This had an Isekai tag, but it doesn't seem like one yet.

Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari

The main content warning I'd give for that one is the "loli grandma"/"loli hag" (depending on version), who's apparently very old while looking like a little girl and she of course wants to get frisky with the MC. It doesn't go anywhere though; it's just one of her character's "gags". No idea why the series has an isekai tag; I don't recall any of those elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is it pretty true that a lot of the garbage tropes in isekai we're complaining about were just part of regular fantasy stories before isekai became the hot thing? I've just noticed a trend of a lot of the same junk looking at stories that are just the fantasy genre without a reincarnation involved.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, not the slavery thing. there were obscure fantasy slavery novels, but the mainstreaming of slavery fetishism in fantasy stems from the webnovel boom.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
There's an anime of that last dungeon thing right now, just FYI for people who prefer to watch before they read.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
^^^ Yeah, that’s how I’m watching it. It’s on funimation

Harry Potter had slaves, it’s been a fantasy trope forever

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 14, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LorneReams posted:

^^^ Yeah, that’s how I’m watching it. It’s on funimation

Harry Potter had slaves, it’s been a fantasy trope forever

there's a big difference between slavery existing in a setting and a protagonist owning slaves. certainly not gonna defend hp's hosed up slavery apologia, though.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's a big difference between slavery existing in a setting and a protagonist owning slaves. certainly not gonna defend hp's hosed up slavery apologia, though.

I’m not saying good or bad, just that it’s standard and mainstream. Game of Thrones had one of the protagonist owning war slaves, even if she freed them eventually. It’s just the way fantasy has been and is.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is it pretty true that a lot of the garbage tropes in isekai we're complaining about were just part of regular fantasy stories before isekai became the hot thing? I've just noticed a trend of a lot of the same junk looking at stories that are just the fantasy genre without a reincarnation involved.

In a lot of ways isekai is just "what if I could be really lazy about world building by making the protagonist someone who knows nothing about the world"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, how often do protagonists completely overturn society? That's the sort of thing that usually happens, if it happens at all, at the end. And even then, it's not often a radical change. Some progress, less discrimination, etc.

Isekai just has the protagonist with the knowledge that slavery is evil (usually) and often gives them a ton of power. Enough to have some effect but usually not the kind that can make such change stick. Even then they play things safe or outright engage in slavery without batting an eye because... well, because, it seems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one of my tag filters on novelupdates is 'slave harem'. this filters out a whole bunch of webnovels.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Argas posted:

I mean, how often do protagonists completely overturn society? That's the sort of thing that usually happens, if it happens at all, at the end. And even then, it's not often a radical change. Some progress, less discrimination, etc.

Isekai just has the protagonist with the knowledge that slavery is evil (usually) and often gives them a ton of power. Enough to have some effect but usually not the kind that can make such change stick. Even then they play things safe or outright engage in slavery without batting an eye because... well, because, it seems.

it's not that I expect an isekai protagonist to immediately somehow abolish slavery, it's more that if you're writing someone who comes from our world and time and portraying them as a person willing to overlook or participate in the slave trade you've written a monster who I do not want to succeed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

egg tats posted:

it's not that I expect an isekai protagonist to immediately somehow abolish slavery, it's more that if you're writing someone who comes from our world and time and portraying them as a person willing to overlook or participate in the slave trade you've written a monster who I do not want to succeed.

Yeah it's definitely just a big yikes and it keeps goddamn happening.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I'm just trying to say that it bothers me but I'm not sure how to phrase it exactly.

It's ok, sometimes you just want a fun fantasy story where every secondary character isn't in lust with the MC. In a similar vein, I've started getting overly sensitive about unnecessarily ecchi content. I just want to read a fun story without having the author describe the size of every woman's chest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

It's ok, sometimes you just want a fun fantasy story where every secondary character isn't in lust with the MC. In a similar vein, I've started getting overly sensitive about unnecessarily ecchi content. I just want to read a fun story without having the author describe the size of every woman's chest.

Yeah there you go, that's what I'm talking about! It's funny going between the two, reading a normal-ish manga with one girl falling out of her chair and there not being a visible panel of her underwear in the process and then getting the opposite.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LorneReams posted:

Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari
"Last Dungeon Lloyd"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's one thing I've been curious about for a while: Why on earth are there so many series where the title is pretty much a summary of the plot/premise?

Is it just because the market is so so so flooded with titles that them just having a simple title isn't possible unless it's like a popular series debuting in Shounen Jump or whatever?
Like, you have to catch the readers' attention immediately, even with the title, or you're just going to get passed over for the next series?

It is a pain and a half to try to remember most/any of these, even the ones I like. (Like the good, but only 2 chapters in: "The Villainess Wants to Enjoy a Carefree Married Life in a Former Enemy Country in Her Seventh Loop! "
https://mangadex.org/title/58500/the-villainess-wants-to-enjoy-a-carefree-married-life-in-a-former-enemy-country-in-her-seventh-loop )

Most of the popular series that have historically gotten popular in the west (usually due to becoming media empires with manga/anime/games) have fairly snappy titles in comparison.
Or is this just a indie vs mainstream marketing thing? Mainstream stuff debuting in magazines can have short, snappy titles, while the more indie, self published, and online ones need to stand out?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

SubNat posted:

It's one thing I've been curious about for a while: Why on earth are there so many series where the title is pretty much a summary of the plot/premise?

Is it just because the market is so so so flooded with titles that them just having a simple title isn't possible unless it's like a popular series debuting in Shounen Jump or whatever?
Like, you have to catch the readers' attention immediately, even with the title, or you're just going to get passed over for the next series?

This is basically it, yeah. Most isekai titles are originally written by unknown amateurs on the web novel portal Narou, where there are daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly ranking lists, and potential readers generally just scroll through these to see if a title catches their eye. Because there are literally hundreds of new ones posted every day, the audience can't really be assed to click on every listed work to read through a full page synopsis. This quickly leads to authors attempting to get the point across immediately with the title being a very abbreviated summary of the what the story is.

It's one thing to browse a bookstore full of vividly coloured covers and pick up the one called "Darkness Inverted" or whatever snazzy poo poo the editor could come up with, and another thing altogether to guess what it's about when it's just one text line among a thousand others on an infinite list.

I believe the Japanese adult video industry is going through a similar phase, for some reason.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

darkgray posted:

This is basically it, yeah. Most isekai titles are originally written by unknown amateurs on the web novel portal Narou,

Ah alright, and then predictably some of the most popular ones get picked out to get manga/webtoon-ized, and just keep the name.
Thanks for the explanation, it also explains why so many of these have light novels/web novels as source material.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
It's like my dad when he picked sci-fi books to read, "How hot is the lady on the cover?". He'd give me the book to read when he was done when I was a kid, sometimes they were good stories, most times they were trash.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Baseball Isekai knows how to end a chapter

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think someone dug up a list of story names back from a similar boom in the Anglosphere and the titles were also longer and similarly descriptive.

But yeah what Darkgray said.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Middle-Aged Newbie Adventurer, Trained to the Brink of Death by the Strongest Party, Became Unbeatable

How's that for a title? It's a pretty fun fantasy adventure so far. The villains are comical, the plot moves quick, the MC punches hard, the dark elf is cute, and the artist draws some pretty bad-rear end dragons. A solid, wholesome, 8/10 star series.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 15, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's a good Rathalos

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Nalin posted:

The Middle-Aged Newbie Adventurer, Trained to the Brink of Death by the Strongest Party, Became Unbeatable

How's that for a title? It's a pretty fun fantasy adventure so far. The villains are comical, the plot moves quick, the MC punches hard, the dark elf is cute, and the artist draws some pretty bad-rear end dragons. A solid, wholesome, 8/10 star series.

How dare you not mention that the main character’s name is RICK GLADIATOR

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
The time of human Isekai is over.

Cat Isekai

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Huzzah! posted:

The time of human Isekai is over.

Cat Isekai

This is by far the best of the 3 cat isekais I have read.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's more?

Give me all the cat isekai.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kwyndig posted:

There's more?

Give me all the cat isekai.
There is a dumb Chinese isekai where a cat is reincarnated as some kind of wuxia heroine and getting seduced over hundreds of chapters. It got boring quickly and I forgot the name.
And a harem manga where the mc was reincarnated as a cat and spends all his time sitting on the big tits of an elf-girl. It is quite unwholesome and I forgot the name.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

There is a dumb Chinese isekai where a cat is reincarnated as some kind of wuxia heroine and getting seduced over hundreds of chapters. It got boring quickly and I forgot the name.
And a harem manga where the mc was reincarnated as a cat and spends all his time sitting on the big tits of an elf-girl. It is quite unwholesome and I forgot the name.

The second one is "I'm a Behemoth, an S-Ranked Monster, but Mistaken for a Cat, I Live as an Elf Girl's Pet" and it is extremely horny. You know how people joked about "The Lady and the Beast" being about bestiality? Well it's not really a joke in this one, rather it is more of a promise.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

there's also The Vengeful White Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap, but that's more "girl gets isekai'd and later gets a bracelet that turns her into a cat", rather than her truly being a cat.

it's okay

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just went though my list for titles with tags of inseki and a bunch aren't at all.

I like the dragon lap cat one just for the awkward situation that magic would rather leave an entire country than to have this cute cat be sad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah those sound lame. I guess I'll stick to this cat isekai.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
If someone gets around to scanlating the manga adaptation, Kita no Toride nite (At the Northern Fort) is cute and fluffy about a girl who reincarnates as an adorable fox spirit thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that animals with human minds living as pets is somewhat disturbing and not cute at all

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

darkgray posted:

If someone gets around to scanlating the manga adaptation, Kita no Toride nite (At the Northern Fort) is cute and fluffy about a girl who reincarnates as an adorable fox spirit thing.

Well good to see someone else really liked the Fort Briggs arc of FMA

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna drive by post here but goddamn is it annoying when a series is rolling along hasn't been to weird and the suddenly BAM outta left field here's the author/artists kink.

Like I don't kink shame but sometimes it's just like "oh yeah I'd recommend that it's really funny and we'll written
..... What do you mean the recent episode was entirely about watersports? Like polo?.... Oh God no."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that animals with human minds living as pets is somewhat disturbing and not cute at all

same, I tend to avoid all the ones that are some form of "human person reincarnates as non-human/inanimate monster or object" because it twigs some...idk body horror revulsion for me or something. Like just as a concept the idea of being a mind trapped in something that can't speak or possibly can't even move on its own is horrifying.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
“It’s longer then you think” always gives me chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

same, I tend to avoid all the ones that are some form of "human person reincarnates as non-human/inanimate monster or object" because it twigs some...idk body horror revulsion for me or something. Like just as a concept the idea of being a mind trapped in something that can't speak or possibly can't even move on its own is horrifying.

I did read the series about the guy who reincarnated as a vending machine (he was a big vending machine aficionado so he was ok with it).