Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Loved the first two episodes.

Everyone has said everything I could offer, but I'm interested to see if AIM is indeed in this show, if it's consistent with the AIM that was referenced in Iron Man 3.

Also, I think everyone in the sitcom except Vision are real and under the influence or spell of Wanda. How/why they got trapped, if I'm right, would be really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is there a significance to the chant of "for the children" or is it just wacky sitcom stuff

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is there a significance to the chant of "for the children" or is it just wacky sitcom stuff

I would bet huge money on the former

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

(comics spoilers that might also be TV spoilers)

They're going to pull a Lionel Hutz on House of M, aren't they?

"Defeat Magneto? No, more mutants!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I was talking to my brother, who apparently watched Age of Ultron more recently than I have, and he said they told a story about Wanda and Quicksilver being trapped under rubble with a Stark missile that was beeping but didn't go off. So that's probably what the toaster scene was referencing?

I'm not about to rewatch Age of Ultron to confirm.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They tell the story in the 7 minute long Legends thing about Wanda.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another interesting thing about THAT scene in episode 1 is how it is the only part where Vision's powers look like they normally do instead of the TV twinkle and cut from earlier.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wanda wants children and can will them in to existence. She may even be being manipulated specifically to make this happen.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

I was open to this show but in both episodes' case I wish they were half as long. Like, Beef House also nails the sitcom cliche thing perfectly, but any longer and the schtick starts turning into punishment like a too-long SNL skit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

thrawn527 posted:

I was talking to my brother, who apparently watched Age of Ultron more recently than I have, and he said they told a story about Wanda and Quicksilver being trapped under rubble with a Stark missile that was beeping but didn't go off. So that's probably what the toaster scene was referencing?

I'm not about to rewatch Age of Ultron to confirm.

Ahahaha, this whole thing went over my head, Age of Ultron wasn't one of my favorites so there's some stuff from it that I don't remember well. And now that makes sense.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
to the people that keep bringing up A.I.M.

A.I.M was used in Ironn Man 3. The Mandarin owns the company not Strucker. So why would they use the same company again?

I think the only reason ppl are bringing up them besides the hexagram and Strucker commercial is because MODOK has been used as the main villain in the marvel avengers video game that came out a few months ago.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

zooted heh posted:

to the people that keep bringing up A.I.M.

A.I.M was used in Ironn Man 3. The Mandarin owns the company not Strucker. So why would they use the same company again?

I think the only reason ppl are bringing up them besides the hexagram and Strucker commercial is because MODOK has been used as the main villain in the marvel avengers video game that came out a few months ago.

For me it was the beekeeper. I missed the other hints, but beekeeper has been an in universe nickname for AIM grunts for years in the comics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I get why people think the beekeeper was aim, but I'm thinking that's a misdirect and it was just how the unreality of setting interpreted a SWORD agent in a hazmat suit trying to break in. Or you know, I'm totally wrong.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zooted heh posted:

I think the only reason ppl are bringing up them up is because MODOK has been used as the main villain in the marvel avengers video game that came out a few months ago.

I'd think M.O.D.O.K. might also be in the spotlight because Hulu has a stop motion series coming up soon about M.O.D.O.K. and his family, where M.O.D.O.K. is the main character (voiced by Patton Oswalt) and has to try to gain back control of A.I.M. after it's bought out from under him by a competing corporation called GRUMBL (or maybe G.R.U.M.B.L. I guess), while also balancing his family life.

I don't believe there's been a release date set yet, but I've heard a few people on podcasts and poo poo talk about it, so I'd presume there's some knowledge about the character and the show, and some degree of hype in people looking forward to a sillier new Marvel project, even if it's not part of the MCU or on Disney+.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 16, 2021

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

If hulu is using MODOK and A.I.M on their show thats a good hint as to why they won't be used in this one.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

e: double post

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

MODOK was also kind of in AoS. but they could easily retcon that since they only used the name once.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So for later episodes they said there would be office or modern family influenced. I hope Quicksilver and/or Magneto shows up then. I doubt they'd introduce MCU Magneto on this show but I'd love it.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I loved this so far, it's so kooky and weird, but it absolutely nails the I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Bewitched vibe so well, with an OVERWHELMING sense of fear in something's really messed up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Spacebump posted:

So for later episodes they said there would be office or modern family influenced. I hope Quicksilver and/or Magneto shows up then. I doubt they'd introduce MCU Magneto on this show but I'd love it.

Dunno if I should spoiler this but I would loving lose it if Michael Fassbender showed up. I don't care if he is like just 10 years older than Elizabeth, just loving put some white streaks on his hair and call it a day. Who cares. Gimme more nazi-killing spy Magneto from First Class

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Spacebump posted:

I don't see Magneto showing up because he was no relation to this version of Wanda. In the comics Magneto is the father of Wanda and Pietro/Quicksilver. While Quicksilver might show up, I think it'll be late in the series. Right now they're trying to play up the mystery of what's happening. Is this something somebody else is doing to Wanda and Vision, etc? If Pietro, Wanda's killed onscreen and left a body brother shows up alive that kind of gives away the game that Wanda is (maybe unconsciously) doing all this herself.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Everyone posted:

I don't see Magneto showing up because he was no relation to this version of Wanda. In the comics Magneto is the father of Wanda and Pietro/Quicksilver. While Quicksilver might show up, I think it'll be late in the series. Right now they're trying to play up the mystery of what's happening. Is this something somebody else is doing to Wanda and Vision, etc? If Pietro, Wanda's killed onscreen and left a body brother shows up alive that kind of gives away the game that Wanda is (maybe unconsciously) doing all this herself.

spoiling bc speculation based off rumors and a brief mention about someone that showed up in Mandaloiran s2. (just warning in case someone hasn't seen that yet)

I know Magneto is their father in the comics. They could easily retcon Wanda/Quicksilver's parents in MCU considering they did so in the comics. If the rumors are true about Fox Quicksilver showing up, I feel like all bets are off. Especially considering Wanda seems to be warping reality. Magneto isn't likely to show up but this would be a great time to start to bring mutants into the MCU. If Ahsoka can show up in Mandalorian without leaks, I feel like we could be in for a big surprise here. Probably not, but it's fun to speculate.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Desperado Bones posted:

Dunno if I should spoiler this but I would loving lose it if Michael Fassbender showed up. I don't care if he is like just 10 years older than Elizabeth, just loving put some white streaks on his hair and call it a day. Who cares. Gimme more nazi-killing spy Magneto from First Class

It wasn't until much later after their introduction that we found out that Magneto was their father, I don't know if they'll go in right out the gate on this show to bring that in. Granted Fassbender as Magneto - before Days of Future Past is excellent.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

It’s been a while since I’ve read the comics but last I checked Magneto wasn’t the twins father anymore. They went back to the origin of being non-mutants given power by the High Evolutionary. Of course that could just be Wanda reality fuckery.

Ol Herb in the show might be a reference to the High Evolutionary’s real name Herbert. Probably just an Easter egg.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Spacebump posted:

If Ahsoka can show up in Mandalorian without leaks, I feel like we could be in for a big surprise here. Probably not, but it's fun to speculate.

Ahsoka was absolutely leaked before the season even started. Luke however was not

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Captain Snaps posted:

Ahsoka was absolutely leaked before the season even started. Luke however was not

Did not realize the first part. Glad I missed that Mando spoiler.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spacebump posted:

Did not realize the first part. Glad I missed that Mando spoiler.

The casting was announced by Deadline or Variety of all places well in advance of the premiere, they didn’t even attempt to keep it a secret for some reason.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was it even intended to be a big reveal or something that you'd want to avoid spoilers on? It really wasn't portrayed as a huge deal in the episode, unlike Luke.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

So for later episodes they said there would be office influenced.

That would be a great time to bring back James Spader.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Robot Style posted:

That would be a great time to bring back James Spader.

We already have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm hoping for quirky alternative teen drama for the 90s.

That, or Wanda and Vision playing Beavis and Butt-Head. "This sucks, Vision. Change it!"

zooted heh posted:

Ten Rings and the real Mandarin are in Shang Chi, and the Disney+ shows are ostensibly to set up Phase Four.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The very best part of Ep.2, for me: before they went to all color (because we're doing all of Bewitched, including the pregnancy) you could see ripples of red, green, and blue washing over the black and white--just like if you were watching a black-and-white show on an old color TV. Ep.1 was pure B&W.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I have no trouble at all imaging Ultron declaring, "I'm the loving Lizard King." and I bitterly regret that we never got to see that level of lunacy in AoU.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think my favorite exchange from the 2 episodes is

Vision : Its purely for mastication!
Neighborhood watch guy : Uhhhh...i don't do that kind of thing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Everyone is obviously assuming 2 kids based on the comics, but there's actually a decent room for a third. You could have the 2 boys, and also Viv as their little sister, even do a gag about her taking after her dad more in the looks department

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Whatever else, it's definitely pretty fun to see Olsen and Bettany show this kind of different range than we're used to seeing from them in the films. This sort of stuff would never usually appear in an MCU flick. Usually. Unless it's from James Gunn or Taika Waititi, but even then.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Everyone is obviously assuming 2 kids based on the comics, but there's actually a decent room for a third. You could have the 2 boys, and also Viv as their little sister, even do a gag about her taking after her dad more in the looks department

There's a shot in some of the trailers of Wanda and Vision both holding one baby as they sit on the couch, if I recall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Whatever else, it's definitely pretty fun to see Olsen and Bettany show this kind of different range than we're used to seeing from them in the films. This sort of stuff would never usually appear in an MCU flick. Usually. Unless it's from James Gunn or Taika Waititi, but even then.

"It's a town, but like... not a regular town, like a freaky town"

tsob posted:

There's a shot in some of the trailers of Wanda and Vision both holding one baby as they sit on the couch, if I recall.
Look, the MCU is straight enough, let us have a gay wizard and a lesbian robot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Look, the MCU is straight enough, let us have a gay wizard and a lesbian robot.

What? Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tsob posted:

What? Did I miss something?

Vision and Wanda's children are Billy and Thomas. Billy is the Young Avenger, Wiccan, and is gay. Thomas is a speedster, like his uncle.

I don't know the lesbian robot?