Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Goonswarm is cool if you like being called a bunch of lovely names for being yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

so it's just like gbs?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
No it's way worse. It's like 4chan in voice some days. I got out in 2016 and I can only imagine what the trump years have done to the culture.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ben Smash posted:

Goonswarm is cool if you like being called a bunch of lovely names for being yourself.

As much as anything else, this keeps me from playing Eve, Goonswarm or otherwise.

The whole metagame means that unrepentant shitlords need to be allowed to be shitlords for the "greater good" because shitlords have titans too. Even back when I was playing more than a decade ago, slurs were way more prevalent in Eve than literally anywhere else, and it is pretty obvious nothing has changed.

That whole "open racism in the Goonswarm discord" thing pretty much soured me on coming back when I was considering it, since I really don't need to blow up internet spaceships that much.

Still fun to follow the drama from the outside though.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ben Smash posted:

No it's way worse. It's like 4chan in voice some days. I got out in 2016 and I can only imagine what the trump years have done to the culture.

Well that sucks. It sounds like the alt-right chuds I used to put up with back when I played a lot of online historic games. Slurs really take the fun out of games, I shouldn't be surprised that goonswarm disagrees but lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Smash posted:

there was a cultural revolution. your not allowed gamer words in voice chat any more

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Rutibex posted:

there was a cultural revolution. your not allowed gamer words in voice chat any more

Wow, they banned leetspeak?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

lmao pull my other leg, it's got bells on it, chief.

Azathoth posted:

As much as anything else, this keeps me from playing Eve, Goonswarm or otherwise.

The whole metagame means that unrepentant shitlords need to be allowed to be shitlords for the "greater good" because shitlords have titans too. Even back when I was playing more than a decade ago, slurs were way more prevalent in Eve than literally anywhere else, and it is pretty obvious nothing has changed.

That whole "open racism in the Goonswarm discord" thing pretty much soured me on coming back when I was considering it, since I really don't need to blow up internet spaceships that much.

Still fun to follow the drama from the outside though.

This is partly why I founded my Discord community. I had such a sour taste in my mouth from Eve Goons that I wanted to do the opposite of all the toxic poo poo Mittani et al enable. I know so many people who were eaten up and spit out by leadership and I can admit to being at least a little manipulative when I was a diplomat. Glad I'm out but, I am very grateful for the experience and the friends I made.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

*you're

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
What happened to suas. Pretty big booze problem for a while there

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gasmask posted:

No idea, but have some more from the way-back machine. Audio only..

Hey Jews MP3

Seleene Transvestite MP3

I Robbed a Goon MP3

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ben Smash posted:

I haven't heard anything like that in the few months that I've been in goonswarm.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Gasmask posted:

He posts on Facebook occasionally.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm sure this has been discussed, but have CCP considered launching a second shard where everyone can start from scratch and the superblobs don't exist yet?

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but have CCP considered launching a second shard where everyone can start from scratch and the superblobs don't exist yet?

toilet eve

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RIP Vile Rat

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Lone Badger posted:

That's kinda what the China server was, and with less total population it condensed into superblobs faster.

Eve is a video game. CCP controls the universe. If superblobs are a problem, CCP could do things to push the incentives the other direction. They don't because their main designers are idiots, and the most effective methods would conflict with their current financial strategy, which is to cater to veterans (and whales). They have never ever had good retention of new players, and basically their only strategy for acquiring fresh blood is "wait for nullsec to have a huge battle that makes the news". Hence this thread.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Klyith posted:

That's kinda what the China server was, and with less total population it condensed into superblobs faster.

Eve is a video game. CCP controls the universe. If superblobs are a problem, CCP could do things to push the incentives the other direction. They don't because their main designers are idiots, and the most effective methods would conflict with their current financial strategy, which is to cater to veterans (and whales). They have never ever had good retention of new players, and basically their only strategy for acquiring fresh blood is "wait for nullsec to have a huge battle that makes the news". Hence this thread.

So I'm helping to grift turbo nerds at no cost to myself by posting here?

Fantastic.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can’t believe this thread hasn’t touched on Goonfleet destroying an enemy Keepstar station in the most goon power flex move imaginable. Like someone said up thread they usually take hours and hours of fighting to destroy. Goons wanted to “see if it could be done” so they dropped over 300 Titans at once on an enemy keepstar and fired all their doomsday lasers at the same time. It exploded. Is it still the fastest a keepstar has ever been destroyed?

It made for a hell of a video:

https://youtu.be/EneumF0eKAU
So now that everyone has large amounts of titans too, why aren't surprises like this the whole meta?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Metos posted:

So now that everyone has large amounts of titans too, why aren't surprises like this the whole meta?

As far as I understand, there is now a cap on the maximum amount of damage you can do to a citadel, to avoid things like this.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Dalael posted:

As far as I understand, there is now a cap on the maximum amount of damage you can do to a citadel, to avoid things like this.

One of dumbest ideas from ccp then

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Erulisse posted:

One of dumbest ideas from ccp then

Klyith posted:

their main designers are idiots

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Space tuggin

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

so- 1000 titans then?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The damage cap is pretty low, you can hit it reliably with not a big fleet

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I believe the max damage cap is something along the lines of 75000 dps (or that's what i heard in fleets"). So you could have a titan DD one after another until it eventually blows up. But all titans firing at once won't blow it up in one shot.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
So... I'm finding all of this intriguing and considering playing EVE again, despite the fact I'm generally pretty lovely at it. I last played in 2017; is that far enough back that I'm going to have to go through the Goonswarm application process again? Pretty much all my junk has been sitting docked in 1DQ1-A for the last three years.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

The Cubelodyte posted:

So... I'm finding all of this intriguing and considering playing EVE again, despite the fact I'm generally pretty lovely at it. I last played in 2017; is that far enough back that I'm going to have to go through the Goonswarm application process again? Pretty much all my junk has been sitting docked in 1DQ1-A for the last three years.

By this point you've most likely been purged if you haven't posted on the forum, joined the jabber and/or something else. Goonwaffe did a purge maybe twice in the last few years. So you'd have to follow B process and if you have any problems contact newbies@goonfleet.com

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now's a great time to come back. We're writing (video game nerd) history, and with just slightly bigger numbers I'm pretty sure we could properly counter-invade TEST space and basically destroy them.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

PinheadSlim posted:

Well that sucks. It sounds like the alt-right chuds I used to put up with back when I played a lot of online historic games. Slurs really take the fun out of games, I shouldn't be surprised that goonswarm disagrees but lol

Idk what these folks are on but bigotry and gamerwords get you sent out an airlock and booted from the alliance super fast if it gets reported. Political chat in general public areas is also banned, so poo poo stays fairly chill. I’ve been back in Goons for a year and it’s a pretty drat nice place. There’s the occasional hiccup I’ve seen as a line member but it’s an alliance of tens of thousands of EVE players.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Eve thread in the MMOHMO had a specific example of racism from an alliance member in some Discord, then double down on racism after someone called for them to apologise, then "for the good of the alliance, don't call them out now" from leadership, directly contradicting what you just said. Then there's the goon leader in there literally dropping "autism" as a joke and eating a probe for it.

I get that you don't see it all that much, which is good, but that's just what I've personally witnessed in watching this thread and occasionally poking my head into the other one when something big happens. If that's what I'm seeing, bet there's way more that I'm not.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Azathoth posted:

The Eve thread in the MMOHMO had a specific example of racism from an alliance member in some Discord, then double down on racism after someone called for them to apologise, then "for the good of the alliance, don't call them out now" from leadership, directly contradicting what you just said. Then there's the goon leader in there literally dropping "autism" as a joke and eating a probe for it.

I get that you don't see it all that much, which is good, but that's just what I've personally witnessed in watching this thread and occasionally poking my head into the other one when something big happens. If that's what I'm seeing, bet there's way more that I'm not.

There's more happening, we're talking about an alliance with hundreds if not thousands of players. But it nowhere as bad as it used to be and its getting better all the time.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Phlegmish posted:

Now's a great time to come back. We're writing (video game nerd) history, and with just slightly bigger numbers I'm pretty sure we could properly counter-invade TEST space and basically destroy them.

How many times now Test got destroyed/failcascaded since their forming? I mean, they were destroyed way before I joined Goonfleet in 2011 and remember at least two times they got btfo-ed by different parties.

Is the Brave Newbies still truckin around? They were the :shobon:-est of all corps.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dalael posted:

There's more happening, we're talking about an alliance with hundreds if not thousands of players. But it nowhere as bad as it used to be and its getting better all the time.

"There's less open bigotry than ever!" is not a valid defense when people don't want any bigotry or think that any about of bigot coddling is too much.

Kudos to you, I guess, for being able to compartmentalize that and still play with open bigots because there's fewer of them now. I get that they have titans and you need every titan now, but you're still tolerating something that shouldn't be tolerated regardless of how many people are involved.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Azathoth posted:

"There's less open bigotry than ever!" is not a valid defense when people don't want any bigotry or think that any about of bigot coddling is too much.

Kudos to you, I guess, for being able to compartmentalize that and still play with open bigots because there's fewer of them now. I get that they have titans and you need every titan now, but you're still tolerating something that shouldn't be tolerated regardless of how many people are involved.

Try finding 0% bigotry on the internet. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Galewolf posted:

How many times now Test got destroyed/failcascaded since their forming? I mean, they were destroyed way before I joined Goonfleet in 2011 and remember at least two times they got btfo-ed by different parties.

Is the Brave Newbies still truckin around? They were the :shobon:-est of all corps.

TEST is still intact for now, but we're hoping to change that eventually.

Brave is still around, including their newbie corp, and they're still :shobon:. We're currently evicting them from Querious.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Phlegmish posted:

TEST is still intact for now, but we're hoping to change that eventually.

Brave is still around, including their newbie corp, and they're still :shobon:. We're currently evicting them from Querious.

Is Hole Squad still on that Real poo poo?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

goonswarm is basically as big as the SA forums. there are shitheads who post on these forums, yet you still post to GBS?!

Kudos to you, I guess, for being able to compartmentalize that

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rutibex posted:

goonswarm is basically as big as the SA forums. there are shitheads who post on these forums, yet you still post to GBS?!

Kudos to you, I guess, for being able to compartmentalize that
bigots tend to get banned/probed here, at least nowadays

but with a war on, I understand why some open racism is acceptable in Eve and why leadership thinks it's not the right time to tell people making racist jokes to go kick space rocks.

it's just the price you pay for wanting to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Azathoth posted:

bigots tend to get banned/probed here, at least nowadays

but with a war on, I understand why some open racism is acceptable in Eve and why leadership thinks it's not the right time to tell people making racist jokes to go kick space rocks.

it's just the price you pay for wanting to win

bigots tend to get banned/punished in goonswarm, at least nowadays

but with a dying comedy forum, I understand why some open racism is acceptable in some threads and why mods thinks it's not the right time to tell people making racist jokes to do more than hand out a sixxer.

it's just the price you pay for wanting to stay in business