Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Vision and Wanda's children are Billy and Thomas. Billy is the Young Avenger, Wiccan, and is gay. Thomas is a speedster, like his uncle.

I don't know the lesbian robot?

Vision's daughter from the comics, Viv, is queer for sure, and I'm pretty sure only expressed interest in girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, I thought you were referring to Wanda and Vision themselves in some weird way. I've never even heard of Viv though. Then again, I haven't read Marvel comics in 15 odd years at this point, after getting burned out on speeding upwards of a €100 or €150 a month on comics, and things resetting or dropping interesting stories on a regular basis. That aside, you're almost definitely getting a gay wizard baby so that's one half of it. Whether that gay wizard baby survives the ending of the show is another thing entirely, since he may just be a dream of a gay wizard baby. As is whether that gay wizard baby is even relevant in a decade or so when the plot of the films or shows will have moved on enough to have aged them up enough to be usable as a dramatic actor in the story of the wider universe. At which point you have to hope the people paying to produce it are comfortable allowing the gay wizard teen to be gay, since they might find that too fantastical in a story with wizards, gods etc

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 17, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

Vision's daughter from the comics, Viv, is queer for sure, and I'm pretty sure only expressed interest in girls.

I'm so glad comics exist, and that kids today get to see diversity like this. :unsmith: My gay rear end only had Northstar in my formative years and he wasn't even allowed to do anything.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The_Doctor posted:

Vision and Wanda's children are Billy and Thomas. Billy is the Young Avenger, Wiccan, and is gay. Thomas is a speedster, like his uncle.

I don't know the lesbian robot?

As mentioned it’s Viv who plays a major role in Tom King’s The Vision. It’s absolutely worth picking up even if you’re not into comics, it excellent in its own right, and this series takes a lot of cues from it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Did the thread notice this? i'm not sure I saw it mentioned.

https://twitter.com/CapnRgers/status/1350516728720027649?s=20

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Viv was in Champions too, and I think she has expressed interest in other women and kissed Ironheart at one point. Spoilers for a 2 year old comic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Boxman posted:

Was it a location in Avengers 2 or something? Strucker's base?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

tsob posted:

Was it a location in Avengers 2 or something? Strucker's base?

Yeah, the base they invaded at the beginning and presumably where they were experimented on.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I know someone brought up Wanda's pants, but did anyone mention the bed thing

the Hays code something something you couldn't show a couple in the same bed until like the 60s

edit: specifically the first sitcom couple who weren't married IRL to share a bed on screen were on (dramatic pause) Bewitched

double edit: first live action sitcom couple in case anyone wants to be a smartass and bring up the Flintstones

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 17, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Boxman posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo son of bitches. That's a nice easter egg.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Here I am watching Age of Ultron like a sucker.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Lunatic Sledge posted:

edit: specifically the first sitcom couple who weren't married IRL to share a bed on screen were on (dramatic pause) Bewitched

double edit: first live action sitcom couple in case anyone wants to be a smartass and bring up the Flintstones

Actually, it was Mary Kay and Johnny :smug:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

So I was texting someone while the credits played and a still frame splash screen popped up. It was colorized and stylized like an 80s horror movie. The looks on Wanda and Visions faces seemed to fit that as well.

Also I'm pretty sure this show or Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness are how mutants/ the X-Men get into the MCU. especially because Wanda seems to have her comics powers, not her weird MCU red electrical ones.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sataere posted:

Actually, it was Mary Kay and Johnny :smug:

married in real life, even featured their real kid as their TV kid

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

FogHelmut posted:

Here I am watching Age of Ultron like a sucker.

lol I was hovering over it. I'm right there with you.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
btw... what exactly was the point of Feige announcing that Teyonah Parris was playing Monica Rambeau a year and a half ago? I guess maybe plans for the character changed and she wasn’t originally going to be introduced as “Geraldine?” too bad, could have been a nice reveal

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sticklefifer posted:

the Disney+ shows are ostensibly to set up Phase Four.

Wandavision was actually moved forward, it was originally schedule for late spring '21 after Shang Chi to serve as a soft lead in to Dr. Strange 2. Then Loki hit some production snags and the two shows swapped places.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I know someone brought up Wanda's pants, but did anyone mention the bed thing

the Hays code something something you couldn't show a couple in the same bed until like the 60s

Reading some notes about the production it seems the crew did some serious research to get these kinds of sitcom history right. Apparently Dick Van Dyke was consulted on the production of episode one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wish they'd not used CGI and digital animation though. It's the little touches, but it still looks too clean and modern.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wish they'd not used CGI and digital animation though. It's the little touches, but it still looks too clean and modern.

The effects for episode one were done with wires and camera tricks except when plot relevant. Not sure about episode two since there doesn’t seem to be as much production wise about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

The effects for episode one were done with wires and camera tricks except when plot relevant.

Really? Some of the plates during the opening scene screamed CGI.

Where were the wires?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Open Source Idiom posted:

Really? Some of the plates during the opening scene screamed CGI.

Where were the wires?

Right behind the cardboard stand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wanda openly using magic to make it look like Vision wasn't doing, well... magical things... was great. The little moments where the facade slips and you can see the terror in the faces of other people, like Debra Jo Rupp begging Wanda to stop it etc, were incredibly effectively done.

I know the reveals are coming and I'm interested in what they are (and if that's really loving Swarm of all people coming out of the sewer :vince:) but I kinda wish they could just keep aping various sitcoms for awhile longer too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerusalem posted:

I kinda wish they could just keep aping various sitcoms for awhile longer too.

I wouldn't be surprised if every episode is grounded in the premise of a sitcom, and by the finale they're basically caught up to modern day. Hopefully they strike the right balance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not a Marvel fan, I find most of their stuff boring and haven't seen a film since Ultron. Hell, I barely remember that film; a mate had to point out that Wanda had a different accent in that film than she does here.

(Thank god I'm not a fan tbh, because if I was I know I'd find that opening scrawl they do cringe af. As it is, it's just kinda obnoxious.)

But this was a lot of fun, because it's not an action show. It's a super weird high concept sitcom, where the plot's equal parts ridiculous and dramatic -- kinda like Kidding or Avenue 5.

At the end of the day I don't know why the show is telling a story about comic book characters becoming sitcom characters, or why they're doing a paleontology of the American sitcom, but I want to know where that's going, and what the show's ultimate conclusions are going to be.

If it's just a high concept gimmick, then the show's a bit crap. But the way the show's been embracing crusty old sitcom scenarios (forgetting about an anniversary, the boss coming around to dinner, the husband and wife talent show), and mixing them with post-modern thriller aspects, makes me hopeful that they're actually going somewhere with it. What are they trying to say about the relationship between the comic and the romcom, and the contrast between 50's television and contemporary television?

What I really don't want is some utterly mundane action conclusion, where people sling magic lights at each other while they try to snap Wanda out of razzle-dazzle-ing the planet into Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope these choices are artistically purposeful, and not just some gimmick-y narrative strip tease.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gaz-L posted:

Everyone is obviously assuming 2 kids based on the comics, but there's actually a decent room for a third. You could have the 2 boys, and also Viv as their little sister, even do a gag about her taking after her dad more in the looks department

Because no one anywhere has ever cared about Thomas, I suspect they'll have one boy one girl, one magic, one robot. Even odds there will be reason in the show or Multiverse of Madness that they grow up fast enough to hang with the new teens (Kate, Kamala, Riri) were getting in phase 4.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There is zero chance that they won't have both Billy and Tommy as Wanda's twin boys. Marvel just isn't going to do that. If we ever get MCU Viv, it'll be through a different method.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Test Pattern posted:

Because no one anywhere has ever cared about Thomas, I suspect they'll have one boy one girl, one magic, one robot. Even odds there will be reason in the show or Multiverse of Madness that they grow up fast enough to hang with the new teens (Kate, Kamala, Riri) were getting in phase 4.

I don't know, I'd think there's a good chance Thomas is in just because it gives homage to Quicksilver as her dead brother given he's a speedster too. As is though, if they're going to have them come out of it, I'd imagine it'll be just by dint of rapid growth so they'll have infants in the 70's pastiche, but they'll probably be young kids by the 90's for the Full House style one and teens by the more modern stuff. Wanda did become 6 or 7 months pregnant in seconds after all, so it wouldn't be shocking if the kids age between episodes or even scenes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like how the first episode is all wide shots in the same way 60s sitcoms were shot but when Hart is asking them where they met and starts to choke the framing pushes in and it's all shot in close ups, and as soon as Vision pulls the strawberry out of his throat it goes back to wide shots, emphasizing the fake reality this is all taking place in.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 17, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was just watching the latest episode of Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin's YouTube podcast (vidcast?) and they pointed out that Wanda's first line is "My husband and his indescribable head", while Vision died because Thanos found Vision's head very destructible; so she's rearranging reality from the off to make sure Vision can't be taken from her the same way again, even before she settles on her wedding anniversary or anything in this new reality. Or rather, someone in the chat for their show pointed it out, and they commented on it. Which is a neat detail..

Also, they were bringing up the "No more mutants" line from House of M, and it made me wonder if we'll get some kind of analogue as a way for Wanda to get her kids back because they disappear as part of the dream at the end of this, given it's some kind of fake reality; with the consequences of that wish loving up the MCU for the next while. Alternately, does she end up creating an entirely new dimension (or dimensions), or diving in to other dimensions as a way to find her kids again in yet more grief driven action at the end of this and leading in to all the multiversal shenanigans in the MCU going forward?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like how the first episode is all wide shots in the same way 60s sitcoms we're shot but when Hart is asking them where they met and starts to choke the framing pushes in and it's all shot in close ups, and as soon as Vision pulls the strawberry out of his throat it goes back to wide shots, emphasizing the fake reality this is all taking place in.

Notably when Vision pulls the food out, the effect for his phasing is the 'real' one, full CG and not the old-school compositing and animation.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

“No More Multiverse”

cue 3 spider-mans pointing at each other

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Klungar posted:

“No More Multiverse”

cue 3 spider-mans pointing at each other
The 2000s episode must be structured as "How I made you mutants."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The MCU doesn't have mutants in it, so maybe instead of no more mutants, Wanda creates mutants as part of her break.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as they don't have any mutant projects on the horizon I doubt Wandavision is going to be used to backdoor them into the MCU.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as they don't have any mutant projects on the horizon I doubt Wandavision is going to be used to backdoor them into the MCU.

Wasn’t Deadpool 3 confirmed to be MCU?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

swickles posted:

The MCU doesn't have mutants in it, so maybe instead of no more mutants, Wanda creates mutants as part of her break.

pre:
Wanda Maximoff, HEX

Is A ‘Miracle’?

No, More Mutants!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There are also rumors of mutant characters showing up in Shang Chi and Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

They definitely do have mutant projects on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Codependent Poster posted:

There are also rumors of mutant characters showing up in Shang Chi and Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

I really doubt they'll show up in FatWS as a result of WandaVision since that series was supposed to be our first.