Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dumbledore is going to get Newt Scamander's love interest shot as they try to cross the wizard-Berlin Wall, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Very Star Wars Sequels energy.

Yeah people describe these movies as the prequels but thing is the prequels have charming actors and fun ideas even if they suck. Fantastic Beasts is the sequels: absolutely nothing interesting to say, maybe a character or two who could have been interesting (Dan Fogler muggle guy)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
also Fleur should have become a femme fatale bird monster who worked for the Order and hosed up wizard nazis instead of becoming another mom

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sydin posted:

Far be it from me to ask Jo to write more romance because :barf: but Ginny and Harry date for all of ten chapters in HBP - largely offscreen - before acting like eternal soulmates at the start of DH and then going on to get married.

Ginny was really better off as a tomboy who was only shy because she had a crush on Harry as a kid, then grew out of it and became her own person. Her going "I was waiting for you to notice me all this time" was super regressive. Hell, dating Harry didn't even mean poo poo since he didn't include her in his plans and ditched her in book 7 to "protect her."

Though the worst part about the Harry/Ginny romance is how Oedipal it is. Harry spent his time at Hogwarts hearing how his mom was a redhead who was friendly to students, lively and charismatic, great at charms and has a fierce temper - all traits that Ginny has.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

also Fleur should have become a femme fatale bird monster who worked for the Order and hosed up wizard nazis instead of becoming another mom

:hai:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Harry winding up with Ginny is like..."Well, these were basically the first people I met when I became a wizard, have to be a part of their family now."

Also reminded me a little of that Seinfeld episode where George gradually realizes he's dating a woman entirely because she looks like Jerry

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Some day I'm gonna get Danielle Radcliffe when he's like 45 and I'm gonna make a movie called Old rear end Harry Potter and it's gonna be about his trials and tribulations with unemployment after a messy divorce.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who is everyone's favourite elf out of Dobby, Winky, and Kreacher?

For me, Kreacher for sure

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
One of the ones mounted on the wall of the black house

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

reignofevil posted:

Some day I'm gonna get Danielle Radcliffe when he's like 45 and I'm gonna make a movie called Old rear end Harry Potter and it's gonna be about his trials and tribulations with unemployment after a messy divorce.

Harry potter sequel wheres hes a middle aged alcoholic ex auror, coasting by on his rep and propping up the bar in hogsmeade. Hitting hagrid for a few bob after he blew the family hair fortune on a weasley family spectacular that ended in two weasleys deads and several guests eaten by dragons bill had on the show. Now with several avada kedavera'ed dragons on his conscience. Ginny wont talk to him. The kids changed his name to Fred. Just Fred.

It'll be directed by Mike Leigh.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm already greenlighting this. We're changing the name to just Potter and we're gonna make seventy six billion dollars worldwide.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So if any of you are slightly older goons, you might recallthere was a Let's Play of many Harry Potter games done by Dr. Roosevelt and friends over ten years ago now.

I loved them and saved a few, mainly because blip and Viddler wouldn't play them on my browser so I had to download them to watch them. Luckily I did this because when those sites died, the videos died with them. I recently uploaded all the vids I had to YT to share and also to hopefully find more videos saved by other people.

A week ago my hopes were fulfilled as somebody left a comment and shared with me most videos of Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ-06zMCdll3emOBBReTtQHUApuS4SKdB

Still no complete set but far more complete than it was with just my offerings.

This will always be my favorite video, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyZy-0mNHs

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
FLIPENDO

FLIPENDO

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

reignofevil posted:

FLIPENDO

FLIPENDO

I’ve definitely been lurking this thread too much, because my mind was playing that sound on loop in my head at the gym this morning.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fantastic Beasts will be redeemed if Newt Scamander blasts somebody with a flipendo

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
everybody agrees Luna is the best character and should appear in every franchise since apparently time is no obstacle

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
1. Kreacher
2. Dobby
3. Luna
4. Snape
5. Viktor Krum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I like Luna at the start of book five, where her character is "is a prick to Ron".

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm almost afraid to ask but, did Rowling make up any stupid and messed up lore for Luna after the books were over? As far as I know, only Neville and Luna managed to escape any of Rowling's batshit lore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

amigolupus posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but, did Rowling make up any stupid and messed up lore for Luna after the books were over? As far as I know, only Neville and Luna managed to escape any of Rowling's batshit lore.

Not really, she goes on to be a naturalist who travels all over the world and ends up marrying the grandson of the dude from the Fantastic Beasts movies who she meets on an expedition.

Which makes her roughly the only person in the world who doesn't marry the person she started dating in high school

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also her wedding dress was voted most hideous outfit of the year by the daily prophet fashion column.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think she goes on to prove that the various wacky creatures she believes in do in fact exist, which is cute.

It’s kinda funny, and clearly a product of Rowling becoming a celebrity, how the Daily Prophet goes from the respectable mainstream paper to a tabloid rag. Meanwhile the Quibbler ends up being the paper that speaks truth to power and the Lovegoods end up being absolutely correct.

E: Actually it’s a really fun idea that wizards treat their equivalent of the Sun as the bigbrain serious news and treat the most accurate paper as Weekly World News. It’s absurd on its face that literal wizards wouldn’t believe in certain magical creatures and artifacts so gently caress it, just run with it.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 16, 2021

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

I can’t remember from the top of my head if it has already come up in this thread and I don’t have the power to search:

What the hell is up with Dumbledore‘s brother and that goat thing? Why is the only implication of non-normative sex, that is actually in the books, apparently about bestiality?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's just an extremely awkward suture between the whimsical headmaster Dumbledore of the first few books and the load-bearing backstory Dumbledore he evolves into.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Dumbledore is ashamed of his homosexuality so he loudly proclaims his brother fucks goats to distract from it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's an ENCHANTED goat

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

He's enchanting, it's a goat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Zore posted:

Not really, she goes on to be a naturalist who travels all over the world and ends up marrying the grandson of the dude from the Fantastic Beasts movies who she meets on an expedition.

Which makes her roughly the only person in the world who doesn't marry the person she started dating in high school

she appears crazy through the eyesof the characters because thats what sane people look like to crazy people

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Most of the stuff Luna says and that’s in the Quibbler is actually pretty out there and wrong, like Cornelius Fudge having an army of fire giants or Sirius Black actually being Stubby Bodeman or whoever.

Hermione is still a dick for constantly assuming the entirety of universal knowledge is contained in her school books tho, so it’s cool she gets dunked on for this for a lot of the last two books.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate to say but this scene is extraordinarily cute: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYs7g5H-yU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Most of the stuff Luna says and that’s in the Quibbler is actually pretty out there and wrong, like Cornelius Fudge having an army of fire giants or Sirius Black actually being Stubby Bodeman or whoever.

Hermione is still a dick for constantly assuming the entirety of universal knowledge is contained in her school books tho, so it’s cool she gets dunked on for this for a lot of the last two books.

It always felt kinda bullshit that Hermione went through her entirely mundane muggle childhood, until presumably only slightly earlier than Harry at most, before finding out that all the magical wizards and monsters in fairy tales are all 100% real exactly as presented, and then after like five years of Wizard Middle School is drawing arbitrary lines that, no, THESE things are totally fake. You already had one huge revelation that completely overturned your established worldview, why are you sure that it can't happen again?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

It always felt kinda bullshit that Hermione went through her entirely mundane muggle childhood, until presumably only slightly earlier than Harry at most, before finding out that all the magical wizards and monsters in fairy tales are all 100% real exactly as presented, and then after like five years of Wizard Middle School is drawing arbitrary lines that, no, THESE things are totally fake. You already had one huge revelation that completely overturned your established worldview, why are you sure that it can't happen again?

Also even like how she kept getting thoroughly embarrassed by the Half-Blood Prince all throughout book 6. She sees evidence that most of the wizards around her are lazy and basic as hell, and then Harry find some marginalia that improves upon literally everything in the standard potions book. You would think this would at least lead her to the revelation "the books can only take me so far and I need to do my own experimentation" but instead she just doubles down on "must. follow. book. exactly"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can only assume that all the 11-year-olds born into the wizarding world are constantly trying to gaslight all those born muggles into believing all sorts of untrue poo poo about magic, and Hermione latched onto her ability to read as a defense mechanism.

Come to think of it, when a wizard falls in love with a muggle, at what point is it okay to tell them about magic? When they get married? When all of a sudden you've got to pull your kid out of public school because of their special needs?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
apparently you need to get married first because seamus (or another similar minor character) has a semi-joke where he talks about what a shock finding out his mom was a wizard for his dad on their wedding night. it's very weird, especially coming from an author who has spent most of her life in de facto relationships to the best of my knowledge

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
dumbledore's predecessor as headmaster was born in 1637

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Has everyone watched the harry potter claymation by now? It's more violent than either the books or the warner brothers movie.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

1. Kreacher
2. Dobby
3. Luna
4. Snape
5. Viktor Krum

*looks surly from behind a bookshelf*

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can only assume that all the 11-year-olds born into the wizarding world are constantly trying to gaslight all those born muggles into believing all sorts of untrue poo poo about magic, and Hermione latched onto her ability to read as a defense mechanism.

Come to think of it, when a wizard falls in love with a muggle, at what point is it okay to tell them about magic? When they get married? When all of a sudden you've got to pull your kid out of public school because of their special needs?

Canonically, McGonagall became a cop because she loved a muggle boy but didn't want to leave wizard society, which raises questions.

Later her beloved scottish muggle farm boy and his whole family gets murdered by the wizard nazis. This leads to her marrying her much older cop boss. He dies shortly after from a poisonous plant, and that's what convinces her to become a teacher.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Going by this logic, Ron gaslit Harry in the train to believe all Slytherins are evil. :v:

ungulateman posted:

apparently you need to get married first because seamus (or another similar minor character) has a semi-joke where he talks about what a shock finding out his mom was a wizard for his dad on their wedding night. it's very weird, especially coming from an author who has spent most of her life in de facto relationships to the best of my knowledge

IIRC, he said his mom told his dad about magic when she was pregnant with Seamus. So in that regard, Seamus's mom was extremely lucky she didn't get the VoldeMom treatment.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FunkyAl posted:

Has everyone watched the harry potter claymation by now? It's more violent than either the books or the warner brothers movie.

Just scrolled through it and was delighted by the additions (Ron pausing to say "That's a shame" before Crabbe's death; a whoop of audience applause after Bellatrix is killed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canonically, McGonagall became a cop because she loved a muggle boy but didn't want to leave wizard society, which raises questions.

Later her beloved scottish muggle farm boy and his whole family gets murdered by the wizard nazis. This leads to her marrying her much older cop boss. He dies shortly after from a poisonous plant, and that's what convinces her to become a teacher.

What a dumb loving cannon.