Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hey so why does the disc drive randomly start spinning up when I’m streaming something and not using the disc drive at all? I have demons souls in there but it starts spinning for like 5-10 seconds while I’m streaming Hulu, this happens no more than once an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This kind of thing has been brought up before and so far, nobody seems to be quite sure. The disc drive just randomly spins up every so often.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hey so why does the disc drive randomly start spinning up when I’m streaming something and not using the disc drive at all? I have demons souls in there but it starts spinning for like 5-10 seconds while I’m streaming Hulu, this happens no more than once an hour.

Some weird DRM poo poo they need to patch out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

This kind of thing has been brought up before and so far, nobody seems to be quite sure. The disc drive just randomly spins up every so often.

It’s the PS5 equivalent of a dog farting itself awake from a nap

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wheeee posted:

is boozeman like a kojima character, like his mutant stomach ferments everything he eats into alcohol so he's wasted 24/7

Haha. I have taken care of exactly one patient who was in the ICU with auto-brewery syndrome. They were on antibiotics a long time and yeast infected their GI tract and basically kept converting everything they ate into ethanol. They were delirious.. turned out actually just constantly low-grade drunk.. and it took a while to figure out why (it was the abdominal distention and the smell) and then treating it w/ antifungals stopped it pretty quick. But yeah if you want to imagine Boozer is auto-brewing himself drunk all day that fits the narrative of the game I’ve been playing pretty well!

quote:

Five days until Hitman.

I installed Hitman 2 for the third time the other day. I kept bouncing off of it really hard the other times and uninstalling it after Miami, because it seems to just be a puzzle game that can get really annoying when I’m spotted or miss something and have to reload. It really triggers that “got to do it perfect” feeling that I hate. And the race car Miami level really did this to me. I especially hate the feeling the female target racing gave to me of like, “I have to do this one puzzle fast or I’ll miss out because the event will finish without me knowing.” But this time, I forced myself to play the Miami level until I had completed all the main stories, which was ok. Blowing up the guy by starting the engine to his car was pretty funny he went flying rear end backwards.

But the next level in Columbia?? Holy crap, it’s like it just finally clicked. I’m exploring around, listening to everyone, sneaking into places and trying out weird things (what do I do with the hippo? I tried to “make it happy” by feeding it both a meat bone AND a guard but it didn’t seem happy), and generally just being blown away by how big and detailed it all is. I’ve only killed the main guy via the submarine, I don’t know yet how to do the other two. I definitely got the itch now to replay it and do the tattoo artist thing because it just seems so funny. I’m also starting to understand how trespassing and being spotted happens, and how good coins are.

So maybe by the time Hitman 3 comes out I’ll actually be ready to play it and understand and appreciate why it’s so good. I want to. It’s the only new game coming out for two months. And I mean gently caress, people love Hitman 2. Every single person that talks about it online or on YouTube just gushes about it. So I must be really missing something or undervaluing it, or thinking about it all wrong. But maybe I’m making progress on that now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Haha. I have taken care of exactly one patient who was in the ICU with auto-brewery syndrome.
Even with you saying it, I couldn't quite believe that this is a real term until I googled it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Haha. I have taken care of exactly one patient who was in the ICU with auto-brewery syndrome. They were on antibiotics a long time and yeast infected their GI tract and basically kept converting everything they ate into ethanol. They were delirious.. turned out actually just constantly low-grade drunk..

brb ordering myself a jug of fish antibiotics

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Colonel Whitey posted:

ive answered this question repeatedly. the disc drive spins itself up so that the ps5 can know that it is still alive. its a life affirming activity

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Colonel Whitey posted:

absolutely nobody knows.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

absolutely nobody knows.

i know why but im not telling

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

What made it click for me was realizing, finally, that it's rear end in a top hat Physics The Game.

also guns are dumb and bad and make the game worse in every possible way never use them

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

scary ghost dog posted:

i know why but im not telling

psyop to make people switch to digital only.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Blind Rasputin posted:

it seems to just be a puzzle game that can get really annoying when I’m spotted or miss something and have to reload. It really triggers that “got to do it perfect” feeling that I hate.

I have this issue with hitman too. I want to love it but I feel like I have to absolutely master it to start having fun with it, and the build up to that is a ton of failed runs. I find games where I can spend 4 hours playing them and the only progress being made is my own knowledge of it frustrating because it's intangible and I can have a few bad runs and start to feel like i'm wasting my time.
I have the first, not the second. maybe I'll give the third a go on ps5 when it drops in price a bit, see if i can get it to click.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

your knowledge is exactly what's being gained have some faith in you

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
Apologies if this has been mentioned a bunch but I haven't seen it as a casual observer of this thread.

My ps5 disk drive was LOUD. Like, feel the vibrations in the floor and wake up anybody upstairs loud. Most discussions I'd found mention tapping/squeezing the case and reseating the stand but none of that worked. Turns out playstation support's page has a very quick and easy manual-eject fix but you have to sift through some specific prompts to find it:

• Power down the ps5 with an offending disc still inside.
  • Disconnect cables and the stand.
  • Pop off the bottom shell.
  • Remove a little black circle sticker from the bottom of the disk drive.
  • Underneath that sticker, turn the screw clockwise until your disc pokes out a bit. I heard two small clicks or gear turning sounds along the way.
  • Remove the disc and reassemble everything.

Now I have the fabled "sounds like a slightly louder ps4 drive" rather than "sounds like a goddamn chainsaw stuck in a garbage disposal."

squirreltactic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 16, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

was the disc upside down

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Casnorf posted:

was the disc upside down

mine was at first, lol. the system doesn't complain.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

rabidsquid posted:

ive answered this question repeatedly. the disc drive spins itself up so that the ps5 can know that it is still alive. its a life affirming activity

Tbf I do the same thing sometimes. Just give myself a lil spin

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

psyop to make people switch to digital only.

this is it

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

Tbf I do the same thing sometimes. Just give myself a lil spin

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
PlayStation is doing a merge and acquisition with Square Enix. They are also acquiring Housemarque and Bluepoint. SOCOM, Metal Gear Solid Remake, Killzone, and The Getaway are all in development. You heard it all here first.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

You heard it all here first.

Indeed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I kind of miss The Getaway. I think Sonys brand of open world cinematic AAA gaming would work well with that grimy London crime setting these days.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

PlayStation is doing a merge and acquisition with Square Enix. They are also acquiring Housemarque and Bluepoint. SOCOM, Metal Gear Solid Remake, Killzone, and The Getaway are all in development. You heard it all here first.

Thanks uncle

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Its true, all of it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

It will usher in a new age of insane ps1 like jrpgs, enix will split under their own studio within sony thus the return of squaresoft is upon up

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sony will also merge with konami and give kojima all his ips back. They will give iga castlevania. Silent hills 2 announced. The world mended.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

No folders on ps5 tho

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All that sounds good but meaningless unless I can actually get a ps5!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nobody on earth is asking for a new Killzone, which makes me think it's probably true.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Knack 3 will release on Sony consoles and use new technology to turn YOU into knack. Humanity transcends our limitations

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody on earth is asking for a new Killzone, which makes me think it's probably true.

I will play another KZ, me, I will

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Gimmie Xenogears Directors Cut, Remake, No Sewer Area.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

Gimmie Xenogears Directors Cut, Remake, No Sewer Area.

No Chair? With the missing Dungeons?

The PS5 can't handle that

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Forgot to add,

Sony has an announced “secret” San Diego Studio working on Uncharted. Should be teased at the Future of Gaming event in June. And Silent Hill from Japan Studio is still a thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played your hand, Japan Sudio it just two guys now and one of those is the janitor

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Policenaut posted:

I kind of miss The Getaway. I think Sonys brand of open world cinematic AAA gaming would work well with that grimy London crime setting these days.

Having never played getaway and just starting the gangs of London show, I'm very on board with this idea.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Forgot to add,

Sony has an announced “secret” San Diego Studio working on Uncharted. Should be teased at the Future of Gaming event in June. And Silent Hill from Japan Studio is still a thing.

I hope it's Uncharted: The Movie: The Game

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Forgot to add,

is it the sully prequel game? i heard thats a thing but could not get a def. thanks for silent hill japan studio thing, im still holding out for that. the door in returnal had to be a hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I played some Miles Morales for about an hour or two and then during a very emotional cutscene, my PS5 hard locked and started making an absolutely terrifying and extremely loud clicking noise. I ran over, unplugged the PS5, and now I’m basically too scared to play anymore Miles Morales. I’ve had over 30 CTDs with Cyberpunk but those are over in a flash and the game boots up no problem. I really thought my console was gonna break itself from strain of this Spider-Man crash.

What is going on with Miles Morales, why do the cutscenes and their extremely mediocre facial animations push the PS5 to its breaking point?