Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and canonically those happened within about 8 or so years from each other

It's kind of a problem that Control existed before M5, considering it is miles more advanced, but Disco loves to do that poo poo

Maybe Control was M4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's kind of a problem that Control existed before M5, considering it is miles more advanced, but Disco loves to do that poo poo

My favourite's them having what're functionally Exocomps centuries before TNG.

Also visibly more advanced than the androids in Picard when they're supposed to be a major advancement in technology (before they're banned, at least).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those robots are so dumb

You have to know that some producer wanted something like that on the show and they just threw it in there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those robots are so dumb

You have to know that some producer wanted something like that on the show and they just threw it in there

That would make sense if the show was targeted at kids and you wanted to maximize toy revenue. But the, uh, rape and torture and stuff makes Disco not very kid friendly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

That would make sense if the show was targeted at kids and you wanted to maximize toy revenue. But the, uh, rape and torture and stuff makes Disco not very kid friendly.

You're forgetting there's like twenty producers on this trainwreck and they all probably had their own flavour of stupid to contribute. One guy got his robots. Another got his cat. Another got their Han Solo knockoff because Star Wars is real big right now...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah, the KM test will gently caress up any attempt you make at a rescue. They don't have to write every scenario failing to explain that.
Then I'm pretty sure I'd be the first cadet to beat the test just because Starfleet would get sick of my bullshit.

"What if I--"
"Nope."
"Let's try--"
"You can't."
(19 hours later)
"Send out the--"
"NO."
"Reconfigure the--"
"You know what, gently caress you. You win. Just leave."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting there's like twenty producers on this trainwreck and they all probably had their own flavour of stupid to contribute. One guy got his robots. Another got his cat. Another got their Han Solo knockoff because Star Wars is real big right now...
Right that was more of my thinking

Paramount has never really known how to merchandise Trek very well, which is so crazy to me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Micro Machines were genuinely wonderful and I love them to this day. I regret never getting my hands on a Defiant though :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I used to have most of those as a kid and I forget what my parents ended up doing with them

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Random thought: since Tilly ordered Owo to her (presumed) death to save the ship, does that mean she doesn't have to do the holographic command test thingy that Troi did?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

They were all gonna die, though? Telling someone else to go try and do a thing before they die, anyways isn't quite the same thing.

(Michael saved them when she reset the computer, otherwise they were all gonna die from no oxygen)

Also they pretty much accomplish nothing by dropping Discovery out of warp, except unknowingly giving Michael an advantage in a fight with Ossyra... because the ship is like immediately swallowed by the battleship and the fleet does nothing once it catches up.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 17, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sticklefifer posted:

Then I'm pretty sure I'd be the first cadet to beat the test just because Starfleet would get sick of my bullshit.

"What if I--"
"Nope."
"Let's try--"
"You can't."
(19 hours later)
"Send out the--"
"NO."
"Reconfigure the--"
"You know what, gently caress you. You win. Just leave."

No, i mean they don't write every kind of attempt into the shows or movies. The test it self will let you try anything you want but itll blow up in your face.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MariusLecter posted:

No, i mean they don't write every kind of attempt into the shows or movies. The test it self will let you try anything you want but itll blow up in your face.

Yeah, I'd wager it dynamically fucks with your choices. If you send shuttles back-and-forth, the Klingons use them for target practice. If you try to get in close to shield the Maru while it makes a run for it, the Maru's engines fail. If you DO somehow destroy the three Klingon ships, whoops, one got off a distress call and more are inbound. A lot more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I'd wager it dynamically fucks with your choices. If you send shuttles back-and-forth, the Klingons use them for target practice. If you try to get in close to shield the Maru while it makes a run for it, the Maru's engines fail. If you DO somehow destroy the three Klingon ships, whoops, one got off a distress call and more are inbound. A lot more.

Yeah, the closest anyone's gotten to beating it legit (that we the audience know of) I think was Nog, who tractor beamed the Maru to the edge of the Neutral Zone at warp then slignshotted it across the border letting momentum carry it home while his ship stayed behind and held the line against a fuckton of Klingon ships the simulation had spawned in behind him. His crew still died and his ship was destroyed and he still lost, but he was one of the few people in the history of the test to actual save the Maru.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Arquinsiel posted:

The Micro Machines were genuinely wonderful and I love them to this day. I regret never getting my hands on a Defiant though :(

those came out when i was just in college so had enough disposable money to get all three of the big box sets (including extras which I still have unopened at my mom's house), the Defiant was cool and that boxed set also had the Future Enterprise which was the other big obsession

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So many of Disco's issues wouldn't exist if they'd set it after TOS, even if only by a few years, but nope, gotta have Young Spock!

On a sidenote, I want the Cerritos to salvage a lost Disco-era ship and have the gang get lost in the turbolift void. "What the hell were the designers thinking?"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Payndz posted:

So many of Disco's issues wouldn't exist if they'd set it after TOS, even if only by a few years, but nope, gotta have Young Spock!
As true as this is, many more issues still would have existed... as proven by the entirety of Season 3.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

None of Disco's issues are caused by the setting. Each season has started with a perfectly decent premise, they're just all squandered. (Season 2 reveals by far the fastest that it's going to be trash, but 'unexplained galaxy spanning phenomena that we need to investigate' is a decent setup for a story).

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Powered Descent posted:

Random thought: since Tilly ordered Owo to her (presumed) death to save the ship, does that mean she doesn't have to do the holographic command test thingy that Troi did?

It was Michael who invented this thing so Tilly would be the last one to send real people to die for the cause to prove to be able to captain a ship

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the closest anyone's gotten to beating it legit (that we the audience know of) I think was Nog, who tractor beamed the Maru to the edge of the Neutral Zone at warp then slignshotted it across the border letting momentum carry it home while his ship stayed behind and held the line against a fuckton of Klingon ships the simulation had spawned in behind him. His crew still died and his ship was destroyed and he still lost, but he was one of the few people in the history of the test to actual save the Maru.

He should have Great River'd the test, though. Like, having 60 barrels of blood wine in his cargo bay or something for just an event.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Super Deuce posted:

He should have Great River'd the test, though. Like, having 60 barrels of blood wine in his cargo bay or something for just an event.

Actually, there's a second story where he does the Kobayashi Maru (presumably two different authors had the same idea but one didn't know it had already been done) where Nog's immediate response was for the enemy to name their price, which crashed the simulation, presumably because it had never been attempted. Maybe the simulator ran into a problem trying to calculate a sufficently-high bribe to demand.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but somebody did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Mu-lyFTWs

I thought it was pretty funny.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

i havent kept up with this season

is it a full TARDIS now?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mythicknight posted:

i havent kept up with this season

is it a full TARDIS now?

Only the turbolift shafts.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Only the turbolift shafts.

They're Turbolift Caverns, now TYVM.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Infidelicious posted:

They're Turbolift Caverns, now TYVM.

THE TURBOLIFT DIMENSION

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, there's a second story where he does the Kobayashi Maru (presumably two different authors had the same idea but one didn't know it had already been done) where Nog's immediate response was for the enemy to name their price, which crashed the simulation, presumably because it had never been attempted. Maybe the simulator ran into a problem trying to calculate a sufficently-high bribe to demand.

you think by nogs time it would be a little more robust. maybe they need felix to make a new one where the klingons become sentient

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tars Tarkas posted:

those came out when i was just in college so had enough disposable money to get all three of the big box sets (including extras which I still have unopened at my mom's house), the Defiant was cool and that boxed set also had the Future Enterprise which was the other big obsession
I was young enough that splitting a box with my brother when I was 12 was a hard negotiated ordeal. We had to work out which ones the other had to ensure that nobody ended up with duplicates, then pick one at a time from the remaining lot. I ended up with the All Good Things Enterprise, and the USS Pasteur though, so I can't be too mad about him getting the Defiant.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The TURBOLIFT UNIVERSE is petty nerd pedantry but it really does make a good shorthand for just how little the creators of the show give a gently caress about consistency or worldbuilding, among the many many other writing issues the show has. It's just astounding since a lot of it would be so easy to fix with as little as changed line here or there that I can't imagine the writing staff being so incompetent to not actually think of the issues in the writer room, but then production rushes ahead with the first draft, or some executive pushes their pet idea through without accepting feedback, or whatever and the end result just winds up a mess. It's just depressing to see since great setting hooks are squandered or casually discarded, the acting cast is forced to make the most of schlocky fanfic-level lines, the amazing effects team makes spectacularly screen renderings of atrociously conceptualized scenarios... it's all so close to being great and falls short almost on purpose and it's somehow more frustrating due to it.

Still better than the zombie-like stitched-together train wreck that was the first season though, even if that's damning with faint praise. But at this point it's pretty clear the show isn't actually going to get any better. :effort:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but somebody did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Mu-lyFTWs

I thought it was pretty funny.

You could use the duration of the scream of the falling guy to estimate the height of the ship cavern. I would do it, but I'm pretty sure someone already has and with detailed drawings and plots

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

You could use the duration of the scream of the falling guy to estimate the height of the ship cavern. I would do it, but I'm pretty sure someone already has and with detailed drawings and plots

This assumes the TURBOLIFT DIMENSION has the same natural properties earth, 1G and all that sort of thing, and we all know it's 5G that will kill you in 2021

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The turbo lift space is more egregious than the runway in Fast and Furious 6.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

This assumes the TURBOLIFT DIMENSION has the same natural properties earth, 1G and all that sort of thing, and we all know it's 5G that will kill you in 2021

Nice.

Asimo posted:

The TURBOLIFT UNIVERSE is petty nerd pedantry but it really does make a good shorthand for just how little the creators of the show give a gently caress about consistency or worldbuilding, among the many many other writing issues the show has. It's just astounding since a lot of it would be so easy to fix with as little as changed line here or there that I can't imagine the writing staff being so incompetent to not actually think of the issues in the writer room, but then production rushes ahead with the first draft, or some executive pushes their pet idea through without accepting feedback, or whatever and the end result just winds up a mess. It's just depressing to see since great setting hooks are squandered or casually discarded, the acting cast is forced to make the most of schlocky fanfic-level lines, the amazing effects team makes spectacularly screen renderings of atrociously conceptualized scenarios... it's all so close to being great and falls short almost on purpose and it's somehow more frustrating due to it.

Still better than the zombie-like stitched-together train wreck that was the first season though, even if that's damning with faint praise. But at this point it's pretty clear the show isn't actually going to get any better. :effort:

Well, I agree with most of this, but not the opening statement. The sheer scope of TURBOLIFT UNIVERSE isn't something that only an astute hypertrekkie will notice if they're holding open a fan-made tech manual while watching the scene frame-by-frame. On it's face, it's absurd. We know they're inside a ship, and this show has gone to great lengths to give us the scale of that ship by doing lots of cool shots of people as seen from outside the ship. But then inside the turbolift there is an entire universe with dozens and dozens of turbolifts flying through empty space, guided by floating corridor bulkhead things that materialize just before they're needed.

Petty nerd pedantry is noticing the deck numbers going up (and sometimes out of order?) as Kirk, McCoy, and Spock jet up the turboshaft in ST:TFF, and maybe the number of decks is wrong too, so that would qualify. But, it's not "petty nerd pedantry" to notice something is off by an order of magnitude of orders of magnitudes.

Let me be clear, though: I love how the sequence looks. It's futuristic and fun. The scope is huge, and it uses that huge scope to great effect. But that's the rub: we know for a fact that they're inside a small-ish ship. The scope of the action sequence is immediately absurd, even if it is cool.

I think what happened is they had a thousand ideas for how to make the last episode really epic, and this was one of them. They probably had this whole sequence blocked out and well on its way to being storyboarded while they were writing the script. They were proud of it, and it went into production. And maybe they planned this bit to be on Osyraa's ship, which is huge, would have its large crew constantly moving about on the ship to do... whatever, and does have lots of crazy future space nuttiness going on. The only thing we know about the inside of her ship is that it's gigantic, future-y, and has empty spaces large enough for whole starships. This scene on her ship would at least be plausible.

But then they wrote it and were all like, yeah, let's just do it all on Discovery so we don't have to build those sets. Oh, we already filmed the elevator sequences? Well... nobody'll notice unless they're petty nerds, and even then, only if they're being wantonly pedantic.

It's the only thing that makes sense to me: this was supposed to happen on Osyraa's ship, or maybe somewhere in Federation HQ. But out of necessity, it was transplanted to Discovery.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The turbo lift scene made me feel like I was watching Tron but without the camp or good score.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The turbolift scene is the same thing as that scene in one of the Fast and Furious movies where they were fighting on a plane that was taking off but the runway must've been 10 miles long or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tarlibone posted:

It's the only thing that makes sense to me: this was supposed to happen on Osyraa's ship, or maybe somewhere in Federation HQ. But out of necessity, it was transplanted to Discovery.

Nah, the Turboverse has appeared before this, albeit with the Turbolifts on actual tracks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It just reminded me too much of the garbage scow fight from Into Darkness.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I said Into Darkness should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do they have stairs or in the event of power failure do they all just have to scurry around jeffries tubes and hope they know the secret to navigating them as well as opening them without getting blasted by deadly gas or whatever.

For that matter, do they have candles or flares for when it goes dark? I know they have some handheld devices presumably running on battery or something but what about an EMP? Have we really had hundreds of episodes of Trek and not one blackout EMP episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

1. Realistically EMP's really aren't a big deal vs. the kind of hardened electronics you'd send into space.

2. If all their gadgets and the entire ship is offline writing a way to fix it seems difficult, since they can't technobabble their way out of it.

3. Dark episodes are hard, and take more production time to make work, ironically.