Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-tower-100-mini

looking at this case for my next build, but yeah im gonna go whole hog and LED it out bc gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
GPU is basically dictated by what is available.

They also all just went up in price again due to tariffs being reimplemented.

Hopefully the new admin unfucks it a bit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i should have said that i am waiting till march or later for a GPU.
Edit: I probably should look for a new case too...

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 15, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Re: BotW, it's such an amazing game because Nintendo went into it designing it like a puzzle you can pick up and fiddle with. A lot of time and effort spent getting the engine just right so that you can intuit how objects in the game move and function and then just letting the players go at it. Want to light a hunk of meat on fire then roll it down a hill so it causes a brush fire that sets enemies on fire? Go for it! Use a tilting platform to catapult a ball across an entire puzzle room, skipping four steps along the way if your aim is good? Sure! Stop time on a platform and hit it a hundred times with bombs and your sword so the stored energy sends you flying across the map? Hell yeah.

Reminds me of a recent interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said that he's less interested in creating immersive game worlds and instead focusing on creating the game world in players' heads so they can intuitively grasp the sandbox they're playing in. He cites helping his grandchild play Captain Toad and observing his grandchild build a 3D structure of the map in his head as one of his greatest joys.

Ah here's the interview https://twitter.com/FloppyAdult/status/1340693372835684354?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thermaltake-tower-100-mini

looking at this case for my next build, but yeah im gonna go whole hog and LED it out bc gently caress it

I like that case's look, but make sure you think through your components and intended setup beforehand, because the case had some serious design flaws at release.

Not sure if Thermaltake added a perforated steel bottom plate after release, but even if they fixed that aspect, you can still suffocate your GPU depending on how close your motherboard puts it against the glass window.

Gamers Nexus did a review of Thermaltake's virtual trade show a while back, the bit about the tower starts at 9:25, no idea how to embed timestamps on mobile

https://youtu.be/vhkYcO1VxOk

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Eej posted:

Re: BotW, it's such an amazing game because Nintendo went into it designing it like a puzzle you can pick up and fiddle with. A lot of time and effort spent getting the engine just right so that you can intuit how objects in the game move and function and then just letting the players go at it. Want to light a hunk of meat on fire then roll it down a hill so it causes a brush fire that sets enemies on fire? Go for it! Use a tilting platform to catapult a ball across an entire puzzle room, skipping four steps along the way if your aim is good? Sure! Stop time on a platform and hit it a hundred times with bombs and your sword so the stored energy sends you flying across the map? Hell yeah.

Reminds me of a recent interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said that he's less interested in creating immersive game worlds and instead focusing on creating the game world in players' heads so they can intuitively grasp the sandbox they're playing in. He cites helping his grandchild play Captain Toad and observing his grandchild build a 3D structure of the map in his head as one of his greatest joys.

Ah here's the interview https://twitter.com/FloppyAdult/status/1340693372835684354?s=19

Between Animal Crossing, work, and getting burnt out on looking at screens all day, I never got that far into BotW (I had just gotten off the plateau). I know its going to be a rewarding experience and I'm looking forward to it when it happens. I've got enough awesome in my Video Game backlog to easily last me through 2022.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I like that case's look, but make sure you think through your components and intended setup beforehand, because the case had some serious design flaws at release.

Not sure if Thermaltake added a perforated steel bottom plate after release, but even if they fixed that aspect, you can still suffocate your GPU depending on how close your motherboard puts it against the glass window.

Gamers Nexus did a review of Thermaltake's virtual trade show a while back, the bit about the tower starts at 9:25, no idea how to embed timestamps on mobile

https://youtu.be/vhkYcO1VxOk

woof, thanks for this. wanted to build it around a 1080gtx and now reconsidering this case. I do love the look though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5BCAmJQ1yc

heres a review of the retail model with changes intact. looks like they did some work to it.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 16, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not really a big fan of the “showcase” trend for PC cases. They’re a real nightmare for airflow.

There’s one that’s popular on Reddit that’s kind of like a normal tower except it’s extra wide in order to let you mount fans to the side panel instead of the front panel to show off the RGB.

This one: https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11d-rog/

I’m like 90% sure Lian Li sponsored an ad campaign on Reddit because they’re in every drat post.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 16, 2021

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fallom posted:

Not really a big fan of the “showcase” trend for PC cases. They’re a real nightmare for airflow.

There’s one that’s popular on Reddit that’s kind of like a normal tower except it’s extra wide in order to let you mount fans to the side panel instead of the front panel to show off the RGB.

This one: https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11d-rog/

I’m like 90% sure Lian Li sponsored an ad campaign on Reddit because they’re in every drat post.

i want a mini atx system to hook up to the downstairs main tv to play on, and steamlink is good but I can't punch people online in fighting games if i have to deal with 4 frame links and poo poo over a streamed connection.

The showcase tower is more because my 8 year old daughter loves that poo poo and it'd be fun to include her in building it and teaching her more about computers and junk. wanna go all out and get some tacky RGB led gbp backplate monstrosity and giggle at how cool she thinks it all is and be goofy is all

im not running max graphics poo poo, just really fightmans and poo poo with my kids like sims 4 with my daughter or burnout paradise with my son, but yeah. thats the main reason im looking at stuff like that. if i was building for myself id buy the plainest cheapest grey box i could find.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah this is the mini itx I got for my HTPC (now NAS): https://www.ebay.com/itm/301380742677

It’s as unassuming as possible for a PC case these days

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Really want AMD to do a ITX TR4 motherboard. Would love a tiny Threadripper setup.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Eej posted:

Reminds me of a recent interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said that he's less interested in creating immersive game worlds and instead focusing on creating the game world in players' heads so they can intuitively grasp the sandbox they're playing in . He cites helping his grandchild play Captain Toad and observing his grandchild build a 3D structure of the map in his head as one of his greatest joys.

This owns so much, it makes me want to go grab a Switch.

e] Can anyone recommend a NFS game to play? I haven't touched the series since original Most Wanted, and I noticed they're all on sale on Steam atm.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
BotW is a fantastic game and absolutely worth the price of admission. Don't rush it, just take your time and enjoy the experience.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
RE: DEATH STRANDING
Just met Higgs, he loving rules!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This owns so much, it makes me want to go grab a Switch.

e] Can anyone recommend a NFS game to play? I haven't touched the series since original Most Wanted, and I noticed they're all on sale on Steam atm.

i liked the new most wanted a lot tbh. they made a vita version that cut races to 6 cars instead of 8 but cranked the ai way up to compensate and its a hoot.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I remember NFS3 hot pursuit on the original PS and the Porsche one because the rights licensing is absolutely absurd thanks to EA being awful. NFS Underground was amazing for the time, and since then the series has been pretty poo poo. Forza horizon and assetto coursa have as far as I’m concerned totally replaced the EA trash fire series.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
NFS: Porsche Unleashed was the best of the series. It was the closest one to being a straight up simulation and it was super good.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bengy81 posted:

he's such a cool guy, i don't know how he does it, just being that cool all the time, so cool

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I just started playing Star Wars: Squadrons and I love the poo poo out of it. Reminds me of playing TIE Fighter as a kid

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cage Kicker posted:

I just started playing Star Wars: Squadrons and I love the poo poo out of it. Reminds me of playing TIE Fighter as a kid

There’s a goon Discord channel whenever you want to get into the multiplayer (where the true fun lies). It’s the Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming one, I can send an invite if you aren’t already in there.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

There’s a goon Discord channel whenever you want to get into the multiplayer (where the true fun lies). It’s the Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming one, I can send an invite if you aren’t already in there.

Seconding Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming as a great discord for goon games.

They have constant COD Warzone groups running. If you only played warzone solo or in unorganized pubbie groups give it a spin with a premade.

There’s nothing but love for newbies and you will be well received.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

green man has ds on sale if youve held out

1000% worth that price and no paid dlc or anything

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DS took me out of this world and into another for a little bit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know America's been through some poo poo but does Death Stranding explain why it looks like I'm running around in Iceland?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Death Stranding looks like what Kojima thinks America looks like.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fallom posted:

I know America's been through some poo poo but does Death Stranding explain why it looks like I'm running around in Iceland?

just about everything gets explained- I can't think of any huge lingering questions since I beat it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its worth it just for mads and del toro killing it on every level

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fallom posted:

It's the timefall. Erosion happens faster.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/Mangerive/status/1350869449558142977?s=20

Is anyone still playing CP2077? Gotta admit my interest has waned a bit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just got a 3070 so it’s on my list to get to after I beat AC: Valhalla but I’m thinking I’ll wait for the next major patch

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Waiting for it to either hit game pass or find its' way to an 80% off sale. CP2077, I mean.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/Mangerive/status/1350869449558142977?s=20

Is anyone still playing CP2077? Gotta admit my interest has waned a bit.

im plugging along, its good and im having a fun time

i barely play open world games like this though so maybe thats why im enjoying it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i barely play open world games like this though so maybe thats why im enjoying it

Yeah, bugs aside, CP2077's story is fantastic, the writing is well done, the City has a lot to explore, and its very worth it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yeah it's still my main game. Except with job, night class, 1 year old, wife time, my gaming time is quite fleeting.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I did one playthrough, started a second, but I'm waiting to see how the patches go so I don't burn out on it beforehand.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I did one playthrough, started a second, but I'm waiting to see how the patches go so I don't burn out on it beforehand.

I managed to glitch out the game on my 2nd playthrough by doing a bunch of sidequests prior to the Arasaka Tower mission, and it caused the missions to hang and I'd get the wrong briefings for the wrong missions.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bengy81 posted:

He's SPHINX Commander in my heart. I need to get back in.

Also thirding Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming as a good goon gaming discord. chill and active and fun. They've got an active Among Us community too for whoever is still playing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fallom posted:

I just got a 3070 so it’s on my list to get to after I beat AC: Valhalla but I’m thinking I’ll wait for the next major patch

How long was the shipment on that 3070?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How long was the shipment on that 3070?

2 weeks to show up at a Best Buy 15 miles away for pick-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

not caring here posted:

NFS: Porsche Unleashed was the best of the series. It was the closest one to being a straight up simulation and it was super good.

This game had the insane "racing for pink slips" feature where you put two memory cards in the system, it deletes both cars from the cards (so a sore loser couldn't just kill the system to save their ride), and the winner would get both. I only tried it once on a rental with a friend but it was such a cool feature. I understand why it's not really present anywhere else, but dang that would be cool these days. Just losing rides online because of lag.