Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the worst thing is that as you get drunker you get more and more ok with the idea of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

on my way to take a nice new years day ocean swim

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anybody who ever uses the word 'tyranny' after 1801 is a confirmed braindead redneck chud

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

update: it's pissing rain so I'm still as wet as when I got out of the water. booze shame has been cleansed by Poseidon. feel great

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
bump

i'm pining for the woods & deserts & scrublands

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1346245488199282688?s=20

:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
signed

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
use the woods to make charcoal to forge the sword

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
all real men either have, or desperately want, a bench vise

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
nice to know I'm a real man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i grew up with one, a metal vise, and drat did i use it a lot

my kids however use iVise the ios app for kids

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
generation of kids growing up who know how to do everything but haven’t tried to do it once

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Perplx posted:

use the woods to make charcoal to forge the sword
what happened to primitive technology? they havent posted all year :ohdear:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he's working on a tv show or smth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the next gear grylls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
man vs log

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

DELETE CASCADE posted:

unfortunately, even after getting a bench vise, you'll still want more. You could say that man has a natural inclination to vise.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Zaxxon posted:

You could say that man has a natural inclination to vise.

:vince:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm feeling super unenthusiastic about tech stuff after the holidays. Just don't give AF about our team goals or anything like that - being outside and talking to friends and doing random bits around the house is all I really feel like doing

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
this year lets work HARDER, achieve MORE and for LESS MONEY!!!!!!

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Fatal Error posted:

this year lets work HARDER, achieve MORE and for LESS MONEY!!!!!!

I have been told that I just need to be more efficient. Which is cool, because I had a lot of inefficiency that I was doing on purpose, and I can now stop that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
genius

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Just applied to a knuckle dragging customer service job because I just kinda want out.

... They want you to have ZenDesk experience. Like customers are gonna understand how to make a ticket :haw:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cableknitjumper/status/1349808654556438528

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

i keep bumping the thread but the struggle of lovely helpdesk job is not leaving

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

bump

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Just found out I won't get an offer

Time to walk into the woods!

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

A hiker known only as "Mostly Harmless" went missing and was later found dead. Big mystery for the last three years who he originally was. It's been solved!

He was a massive computer nerd, had money from decades in tech, and then wandered out into the woods to the point he was notable for not even carrying a phone. He'd not been known for having a love of the outdoors..... until that moment when he left tech behind and wandered out into the woods to hike thousands of miles before starving to death a couple miles away from a giant Floridian highway.

Mystery Article

quote:

In April 2017, a man started hiking in a state park just north of New York City. He wanted to get away, maybe from something and maybe from everything. He didn’t bring a phone; he didn’t bring a credit card. He didn’t even really bring a name. Or at least he didn’t tell anyone he met what it was.

He did bring a giant backpack, which his fellow hikers considered far too heavy for his journey. And he brought a notebook, in which he would scribble notes about Screeps, an online programming game. The Appalachian Trail runs through the area, and he started walking south, moving slowly but steadily down through Pennsylvania and Maryland. He told people he met along the way that he had worked in the tech industry and he wanted to detox from digital life.

Solution Article

quote:

Eventually, he started work at an ecommerce company based in Baton Rouge called Shoppers Choice, where he was recognized by many as the most talented engineer on the team. The company’s codebase is still filled with notations of “VR,” for code that Rodriguez wrote. Marie, who works in IT, told me, “He was a crazy good coder. Except he would always code everything the hardest way possible, kind of like you hired Rembrandt to paint your bathroom. You know it is going to be lit, but over the top.” He wasn’t particularly collaborative, but he would sit down, put on his headphones—listening to Temple of the Dog and Rage Against the Machine—and solve problems. As the problems got more complex, he got more comfortable.

quote:

“I looked for Vance in mid-2017 to hire him to build an app for a client of mine,” says another coworker from Shoppers Choice named David Blazier. “And I would have paid him literally anything he asked. I never found him.”

With quite a few obvious brainworms and mental health issues, poor relations with friends and relatives, the mentions of 18 hr videogame sessions and the tech background, this guy sounds outstandingly goony. Anyone know what his forums name was?

This guys going to definitely be in my head the next time I'm trying to code some dumbshit data product and wander off int

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Probably no SA connection. Says right there in the article that he was a talented and successful programmer.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jemand posted:

A hiker known only as "Mostly Harmless" went missing and was later found dead. Big mystery for the last three years who he originally was. It's been solved!

huh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Vance_Rodriguez

seems pretty nuts that one could just starve to death in the woods and no one'd be able to ID for over 2 years

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah that sounds like someone with Problems

Though you’d be surprised how remote a place still close to civilization can be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

and no one'd be able to ID for over 2 years

gently caress this is the dream

like im dead but people who are still alive don't have to grieve or anything coz they dont know im dead

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

he was one iconic motor vehicle away from being the next Chris mccandless

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Patching weekend? Why not have SQL issues on top of it all. Goddamn dude

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sorry that he died so young but rip to one of us, even if he never knew

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

Yeah that sounds like someone with Problems

Though you’d be surprised how remote a place still close to civilization can be

”Wikipedia” posted:

Witnesses reported that he preferred ketchup and sticky buns

this is a person who, if i met them in the woods, i would definitely run away from as fast as i could

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Maybe he got the botulism

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
there's a similar story that's a good read https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/missing-hiker-geraldine-largay-appalachian-trail-maine.html

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i've hiked quite near that section; the part of the AT that crosses from nh to maine is fairly rugged, parts are deep woods and the signage is not that clear. from the article, she went off trail and couldn't find her way back - it's so easy to get lost if you're not paying attention, and don't have much experience navigating. stories like that are why it's always best to carry a physical map + compass and know how to use them. wasn't even that far from civilization if they'd known how to find their way there. if you find yourself lost in the woods, you can generally follow the nearest river you find downstream and just keep following it, you'll get to town.

it's a sad story but somehow it's comforting to me how she dealt w/ realizing her own mortality

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s amazing how lost you can get and how quickly, but yeah you’re rarely so remote that a compass or sense of direction or some landmarks can’t help you get out

Like around here the more serious s&r situations are where people get stuck in little canyons or get injured and can’t do that