Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
they don't like to deal with reactionaries at home but love crippling other countries with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
nah they just believe they are freedom fighters because foreign countries are lack and white but domestic politics are complicated

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm more inclined to think the American liberal anti-communist in TYOOL 2021 leans more heavily towards Team Evil than Team Stupid, and when the "democracy advocate" they helped lionize openly outs themselves as another right wing weirdo, they just play dumb.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/1349877223289925634

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress off Obrador

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

president LMAO

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

is this the same guy who was supposed to do leftist reforms in mexico?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lol Jesus Christ

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

he’s right. this is the same social media that pushed coup propaganda around venezuela and bolivia and deplatforms government accounts because they’re disliked by the state department.

you either put up a great firewall like china, or create non-us social media outlets

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

And I swear I heard people saying he'd be the Mexican Maduro.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

he’s right. this is the same social media that pushed coup propaganda around venezuela and bolivia and deplatforms government accounts because they’re disliked by the state department.

you either put up a great firewall like china, or create non-us social media outlets

I was thinking about this a lot and honestly I can see where you're coming from. I think I'm just more preparing for my own friends to call me on the groupchat since I advocated for MORENA a lot a while back :v:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MORENA is good but AMLO has been deeply disappointing as a president. hes been an austerity president and not even being completely ravaged by a pandemic has changed that

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I did get a laugh out of how completely unenthused the secretary of international relations sounded by the whole idea

“Given that Mexico, through our president, has spoken out, we immediately made contact with others who think the same,” Ebrard said, noting they had heard from officials in France, Germany, the European Union, Africa, Latin America and Southeast Asia.

“The president’s orders are to make contact with all of them, share this concern and work on coming up with a joint proposal,” Ebrard said. “We will see what is proposed.”

basically yeah im only doing this because the president asked me to so im just gonna half rear end it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you can say he’s right for the other social media’s that got banned or whatever but that begs the question of why he ignored that stuff and cares now.

I’m gonna guess real politic arguments if he is going to use the right wing media machine to his advantage!

but they are about to dump Trump as he has no use

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1350201485859184640?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the PRI (corrupt legacy technocrats) PAN (middle-class northern catholics) and PRD (supposed leftists) are forming an electoral alliance against MORENA for the midterms. frankly shocked they can all work together, but lol at the PRD, what happened there

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I don't follow Mexican politics as much as I should, so I feel like I only hear when AMLO does dumb stuff. He seems to be making the right enemies though?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the new coalition only strengthens the idea that pre-morena politics was an unideological good old boy's club imo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't follow Mexican politics as much as I should, so I feel like I only hear when AMLO does dumb stuff. He seems to be making the right enemies though?

Granted, I wonder how much of it is just filtered through English language press. I think there has been some clear f'ups on the part of AMLO but also good calls.

He is was really poo poo on for ending the drug war, but it was an already lost conflict that was only getting civilians caught in the crossfire. Likewise, his focus on the Mexican oil industry was justified, Mexico is going to be using oil for decades to come and needs more domestic refineries. In addition, he has actually increased a lot of social benefits to the average people and I think that is what pisses off the Mexican political establishment the most.

His handling of COVID sucked and his austerity measures went too far, but there has been some necessary changes as well. Also, I think AMLO's soft stance on Trump communicates that he actually fears the Biden administration more, and looking at Biden's appointments...he may have a point.

His approval rating also has recovered from its 2020 lows and Morena will probably still keep a majority, although it will be close. The PRD is mostly a shell party at this point and is polling in the 2-4% range after AMLO ditched it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
AMLO is ABSOLUTELY correct to fear the Biden Administration more, he was actually one of the few people who was actually good at sucking up to Trump (probably because ultimately most people trying to suck up to Trump are trying to actively get him to care about something, and that goes against his base nature, and AMLO was instead sucking up to trump to basically get him to ignore Mexico, and ignoring poo poo he's not interested in IS his base nature) and that's not a strategy you can trust to work with anyone except Trump.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Overall, the Trump administration's legacy in Latin America seems like it'll be pretty mixed. Trump and the people he empowered to make policy obviously wanted to strengthen political reaction across the region, but they made a lot of missteps. Lenin Moreno's heel turn and Bolsonaro's election were definitely defeats for progressive forces, but I'm not sure how much Trump contributed to either moment. Bolsonaro's victory seems most attributable to the lawfare started under Obama, and Moreno pivoted pretty early in Trump's term.

Trump's aggressive policy of regime change and sanctions has definitely killed thousands of people, but it seems to largely have failed. The Cuban, Venezuelan, and Nicaraguan governments don't seem like they'll be going away anytime soon. MAS was able to return to power in Bolivia, which was a huge blow to reactionary forces. As the thread discussed, AMLO seems to have been able to keep US leadership uninterested in Mexican affairs, a big accomplishment considering Trump ran on demonizing Mexicans. Mexico was even able to fly Evo Morales out of Bolivia before the coup government could arrest him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bolsonaro's victory hinged on the Antipetismo that was cultivated by the Brazilian media for almost two decades. That same media and the Brazilian oligarchy would have rather wanted one of their own from the PSDB or another of our "Liberal" parties who put a moderate social progressive patina while letting the entire country to be looted by the elites, but had to settle with him due to the sweeping wave of the New Right, just like the Republican Party machine had to put up with Trump. The two buffoons are symptoms of the same phenomena, and one did not result on the other.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I heard AMLO’s still got high favorability bc dragging his feet on implementing leftist policy aside, he at least doesn’t seem actively evil like the ghouls he replaced; is that about right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not allying himself with the cartels means in general there have been fewer corruption scandals and dead journalists

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I heard AMLO’s still got high favorability bc dragging his feet on implementing leftist policy aside, he at least doesn’t seem actively evil like the ghouls he replaced; is that about right?

yeah hes managed to hold on strong despite being totally despised by the media and the social networks. a big part of it its his personal style, the austerity hes applying to the goverment also applies to himself, and so he lives a very modest life and has scorned many of the luxuries and privilegies of power, like refusing to live in the presidential residence.

tho i really dont give a poo poo about his personal style or him making the right enemies or whatever nonsese when people are loving starving in the streets and dying horribly in overcrowded, underfunded hospitals due to the complete lack of covid relief or even a plan to get out of this mess

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

yeah hes managed to hold on strong despite being totally despised by the media and the social networks. a big part of it its his personal style, the austerity hes applying to the goverment also applies to himself, and so he lives a very modest life and has scorned many of the luxuries and privilegies of power, like refusing to live in the presidential residence.

tho i really dont give a poo poo about his personal style or him making the right enemies or whatever nonsese when people are loving starving in the streets and dying horribly in overcrowded, underfunded hospitals due to the complete lack of covid relief or even a plan to get out of this mess

what do you think of Clara Luz Flores Carrales

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

what do you think of Clara Luz Flores Carrales

i have no real opinion about her, other than her candidacy for MORENA seems pretty opportunistic. I remember my mom had some opinions about her, but i dont remember if they were good or bad, ill ask her next time i see her (shes way more knowledgeable about mexican politics than i am)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's really interesting but definitely something surface-level for me. when headed through i saw a lot of PT wall murals and was like "yeah they're cool"

i enjoyed tracking el bronco's campaign last election

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

it's really interesting but definitely something surface-level for me. when headed through i saw a lot of PT wall murals and was like "yeah they're cool"

i enjoyed tracking el bronco's campaign last election

yeah i wish i paid more attention to it sometimes, but for one its usually depressing as hell, even more depressing than american politics. but the real reason is that theres like no good information sources. the mexican media is straight up garbage and its not like theres a forum full of thousands of psychos with the same mental problems as me who discuss mexican politics all day long

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a really good point. every time i saw a local paper i could look up the party that controlled it. much more direct than the states usually

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

babypolis posted:

the austerity hes applying to the goverment also applies to himself

Isn't he laundering money through Pemex?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1351312260053000193?s=20

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

hopefully Ecuador can have the same success through elections that Bolivia did in returning the left to power. In both cases the left never even lost an election to begin with~

Maybe this time they won't accidentally elect Judas again, should they win

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1351635431666941957

This is abhorrent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why can't they just move on from guaido. like setting aside how hosed up regime change is why do they want him and not some new person who is less of a joke

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

monstrous poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jose posted:

why can't they just move on from guaido. like setting aside how hosed up regime change is why do they want him and not some new person who is less of a joke

Hes a loser who everybody hates but has impeccable credentials so they see a lot of themselves in him

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Epic High Five posted:

Hes a loser who everybody hates but has impeccable credentials so they see a lot of themselves in him

But he looks great in the pictures, so young and dynamic! That's like 80% of what being a President entails, right?

Horseshoe theory posted:

Isn't he laundering money through Pemex?

Source please. I follow both the pro and anti-AMLO news, and this is the first time I've heard of this. It would go contrary to what he's been doing in his life since, well, forever.

I'm not particularly worried about Biden regarding how he will treat Mexico, since it seems more probable that he'll want to deal first with making the U.S. government function again, the dumpster fire of their COVID handling, and all those potential domestic terrorists who will rally behind Trump.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/J_LIVRES/status/1351721197936013313

venezuelan emergency oxygen supplies arriving in Manaus to supply hospitals dealing with the new covid wave, there have been cases of mass death in respirator wards, covid and non-covid, as oxygen ran out last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kal-L posted:

I'm not particularly worried about Biden regarding how he will treat Mexico, since it seems more probable that he'll want to deal first with making the U.S. government function again, the dumpster fire of their COVID handling, and all those potential domestic terrorists who will rally behind Trump.

Biden spent decades making the US government "not function" in the ways that Trump exploited.

Biden's COVID response is to maybe vaccinate less than a third of the country and then slam all the kids back into schools, giving them permanent blood vessel, heart, and lung damage for the rest of their lives.

Biden's already planning to back the Nazis in the Ukraine again.