Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

State fairs sound like they loving own tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Isn't funnel cake just a differently shaped donut?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't be. i actually like funnel cakes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

steinrokkan posted:

All fried dough is donuts imo (beignets looking at you)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

steinrokkan posted:

and yeah prior post aside, if they do the funnel cake in like little bits of string 1/16" in diameter, you're gonna get a weird cracker-like consistency, but if they do them 1/4" or wider, you get that donut inside texture with the crunchy outer.

Also if they don't offer you a side of maple syrup or peach/raspberry/strawberry/[whateverberryyourstateloves] preserves for dipping, they are doing it wrong.

What I'm saying is watch the proprietors make some for a few people, and if you find half-eaten ones all over the nearby trash bins, beware.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
At the 2019 Mountain State Fair just outside of Asheville there was an outbreak of Legionnaires disease caused by a hot tub display. 4 people died and another 150 got sick with 100 of these people having to be hospitalized. Luckily we went on the last day of the fair and the display had already been removed. Got to see some bigass pumpkins though!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

500excf type r posted:

All fried dough is donuts imo (beignets looking at you)

even Cronuts!?!?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Guttlesswonder posted:

Calgary is an underrated city. I love the atmosphere up there year-round. If it wasn't for the harsh weather it would be a great place to move to. For now, it is a great fun to visit until this global warming thing picks up.

What!? It absolutely is not. If anything it's overrated.

Calgary is seven high-rise condos, five empty office buildings, the world's shortest tower, the worst stadium on earth (acoustically), and 3,500 sq km of the most depressing suburban sprawl. When I moved there I had a plan to explore a different part of the city each weekend on foot. I figured it would take me a few months to see it all. By day three I walked to the airport out of boredom. The "city" is miniscule and has nothing in it.

The new library is cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AKZ posted:

Crossposting from the bad tattoo thread.

Should've branded himself Sam's Choice

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

With more surface area, so better.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The picture is on my other hard drive, but a few years back we were driving through the Appalachian mountains in Virginia and saw the best church sign ever:

quote:

GODS MESSAGE TO
ALZHEIMERS VICTIMS
I WONT FORGET YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Also found this one in the pics of a place I'm thinking of getting takeout from

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That kid is awesome

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that lady is awesome

its my new wallpaper lmao hell yeah

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Outrail posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a three way bridge before.

In true Americana.jpg style, we dropped a nuclear bomb on the only other instance I've seen.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I moved out of rural Michigan and overseas a little over a year ago now, but I kinda miss some of the stupid poo poo tbh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i was about to ask if "Fresh pasties" was a mistake and then i got to the 0069 and boobs cars and i was like "nope pasties was entirely intentional"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

got kicked out of a bar like this for kissing on my date, who was not white. I never went back to that loving piece of poo poo bar. america is straight trash.

this was the bar:

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 18, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes that is definitely how that is generally used in backwater usa

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Coolguye posted:

yes that is definitely how that is generally used in backwater usa

there are one or two small regions of america that do have baked pasties bizarrely, of which "rural michigan" i believe is one! :eng101:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The UP Michigan mines were salted with Cornish immigrants who had worked in similar mines in England and a pasty is basically a perfect mine lunch so they caught on with the whole population. You can find pasties basically anywhere UP Michiganders might have wandered, so all of Michigan and most Michigan border states.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

This looks like the kind of place where I would expect to find this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Vx2Ghl1uA

(that's a horrible story, i'm sorry that happened)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

crispix posted:

What's with the background noise? Is this at some exhibition or something? Did Billy Bob Thornton research this guy for Slingblade?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

crispix posted:

You are CORRECT! Also a lot of future trump boaters would frequent there, but I stopped going there 8 years ago.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bonzo posted:

What's with the background noise? Is this at some exhibition or something? Did Billy Bob Thornton research this guy for Slingblade?

I think they went around different venues to get people signed up - it was before smartphones etc.

I like to think that the more drunk you get, the clearer this guy sounds

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bonzo posted:

Keeping on brand with this thread, it really sounds like this is a booth at a county fair.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

crispix posted:

I think they went around different venues to get people signed up - it was before smartphones etc.

I like to think that the more drunk you get, the clearer this guy sounds

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Keeping on brand with this thread, it really sounds like this is a booth at a county fair.

yeah I can remember "Computer dating" booths at various flea markets and state fairs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

This kind of thing was, in all seriousness, one of the big social functions of county fairs way back when. A way for people from different villages and towns to meet each other, since they're usually so far apart and travel so slow.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd be screwed. My dick would never compare to the county's largest ear of corn.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

crispix posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Main › General Bullshit › Americana.jpg: Occupation: N/A

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Blue Moonlight posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Main › General Bullshit › Americana.jpg: Occupation: N/A

I'll think you find playa59 is gainfully employed in the werdperlerdivurlipin, fawrklifdraahvin and ernerthernerlsyewwanmetadoupthaar industry :colbert:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

LifeSunDeath posted:

got kicked out of a bar like this for kissing on my date, who was not white. I never went back to that loving piece of poo poo bar. america is straight trash.

this was the bar:

That looks like shithole bar and not in the good way.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
bars like that always have some of the most god awful well whiskey

but its like 2 bucks a shot

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

That looks like shithole bar and not in the good way.

there was a while there where this racoon would show up at the front door and the bartender would go out and feed it peanuts, and I just kept coming back...this is thing that actually happened there.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

LifeSunDeath posted:

there was a while there where this racoon would show up at the front door and the bartender would go out and feed it peanuts, and I just kept coming back...this is thing that actually happened there.

You're a racoon that only went there for the free peanuts? :thunk:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LifeSunDeath posted:

You're not supposed to make us like the bar, dude

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

OMFG FURRY posted:

bars like that always have some of the most god awful well whiskey

but its like 2 bucks a shot

I spent most of the late 90s playing in cover bands in places just like this. I am not kidding when I say that playing a Lynyrd Skynyrd song would either start, or stop a fight. One place had two songs on the jukebox; "Cowboy" by Kid Rick and "Copperhead Road" by Steve Eearle.

Beer was cheap (almost always free for us anyway) and you buy good drugs from the bar staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The real american dream is a bar that is a trailer prefab where you feed raccoons out the front door and buy weed from the staff but they also let you kiss ladies and gentlemen of various skin complexions.