Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How does Cornette square the fact that he is not currently being paid to book a wrestling product and Cody, the bucks, Kenny and Tony Khan are and are successfully doing so while making a large television network happy with higher ratings than expected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

How does Cornette square the fact that he is not currently being paid to book a wrestling product and Cody, the bucks, Kenny and Tony Khan are and are successfully doing so while making a large television network happy with higher ratings than expected?

AEW is a failure, the ratings are bad and the company is dying.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

Oh, ok, cool

:what:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah every single post about AEW from anyone on twitter always has a group of people who say things like. I wonder what Tony Khan thinks about his company dying from a “developmental” league. Then someone will point out that AEW almost always wins against NXT then they will get called a shill.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rotinaj posted:

I’ve read the excuse from Cornette Superfans that Cornette is too successful and simply doesn’t need to do it. He totally could make a better product, but it wouldn’t be worth the work unless he got paid a lot of money. He just makes too much money from his very successful podcast.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I think someone estimated that Cornette is probably making a low six figures from the podcast plus he has some sort of memorabilia business on the side.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Whatever he’s making it’s too much

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Pinche Rudo posted:

I think someone estimated that Cornette is probably making a low six figures from the podcast plus he has some sort of memorabilia business on the side.

Yeah I did some napkin math one day after talking to a "friend" who is a paying member of the Cornette Club or whatever he does. He's easily making at least 6 figgies a year between podcast/direct donations/merch and other revenue streams.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I'd also like to know how he squares his biggest gripe with modern wrestling - people 'exposing the business' - with the fact he hosts a kayfabe-breaking podcast.

I heard a clip recently where he bemoaned inadvertently making a cameo in Beyond The Mat because he doesn't want to be complicit in it 'exposing the business'. It's such a bizarre hangup

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 13, 2021

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's how he makes his audience feel like insiders who need to "protect" the business from the marks.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pinche Rudo posted:

In sworn court testimony during a hearing in the G-Raver lawsuit, he said that in 2019, his t-shirt sales were about $40,000, which he figured as being "approximately 15% of the gross revenues of my collectibles business." So just for the physical merch sales, he's grossing over a quarter million a year. (That's not profit, but it's still a lot.)

He's making at least $3,000/month on Patreon alone.

YouTube ad revenue is a massive continuum, but he does a ton of views and SocialBlade estimates he's making anywhere from $21,600 to $345,800/year on the platform. (They use a range saying it could be anywhere from $0.25 CPM to $4.00/CPM.)

We don't have podcast numbers, and we also don't know if they use a agency/broker to sell their ads. (My impression is that they don',t, though.) But if we estimate pretty conservatively that they have 100,000 listeners/week and are getting paid $20 CPM per live read per week and factor in that they now have multiple ad reads per episode, then that means the podcasts are probably bringing in at least a few hundred grand per year before you even factor in the programatic ads that run during the shows, as well.

So while this doesn't factor in merchandise expenses, whatever Brian's cut is, whatever they're paying Travis for the YouTube artwork, etc...yeah, they're making bank. And there's very little in the way of expenses on the podcast/YouTube side, with nothing ongoing past whatever Travis is getting. Brian and Jim both use the same (very good) $70 USB mic. Brian edits the shows and encodes the YouTube versions. I don't think Art19 charges for hosting as much as you need to be at a certain level of popularity and/or status in terms of being hooked up to some kind of major ad provider. So only the merch business has much in the way of overhead.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

https://twitter.com/Mayydayy86/status/1350903868733984768

Cornette unloaded on Jericho recently, publically disavowing him for his support of Donald Trump. Wild.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

https://twitter.com/Mayydayy86/status/1350903868733984768

Cornette unloaded on Jericho recently, publically disavowing him for his support of Donald Trump. Wild.

Broken clock, twice a day.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Mango Mussolini is a pretty good insult for trump, i will give corny credit for that

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duke Pukem posted:

Mango Mussolini is a pretty good insult for trump, i will give corny credit for that

It was kinda funny the first time I heard it five years ago. He didn't coin it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was kinda funny the first time I heard it five years ago. He didn't coin it.

It’s also not funny even a little bit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

It’s also not funny even a little bit.

It was kinda funny in abstract before he won then did horrible poo poo for 4 years and then tried an armed insurrection. Cutsie names all kinda lose any charm after that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There's a freaking cheeto in the White House.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sir? Sir! Sir. There is a dang. Cheeto! In the White House!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

MassRafTer posted:

There's a freaking cheeto in the White House.

"Holy crap, Lois!" - Jim Cornette, probably.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jim cornette is also visibly off-putting, similar to older people who don't take care of themselves physically regarding fitness and skincare, but do other strange things. i did lots of throw-up while considering him with my eyes! scientifically it's actually due to not liking him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cornette and Shane McMahon are the weirdest commentary duo. I had no idea they worked together on Raw.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Bumping this given the Meltzer/Last discussion happening in the podcast/wrestling media thread.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 4, 2021

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

moving this to the cornhole thread, im gonna assume cornette did say this, because him being a racist piece of poo poo is nothing new. i again reiterate that cornette only hates trump because trump is better at the grift game than him.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rotinaj posted:

He's a "content" guy now and makes a shitload of money while doing so. there has never been an incentive for "content" guys to be correct, consistent, or even sincere.

Just stop watching if you hate him so much, find something positive to occupy yourself with.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

JUNGLE BOY posted:

moving this to the cornhole thread, im gonna assume cornette did say this, because him being a racist piece of poo poo is nothing new. i again reiterate that cornette only hates trump because trump is better at the grift game than him.
Didn't he say the same thing about Linda Miles at some point?

I googled "Shelton Benjamin in a wig," though, and the first result is Wrestling Edge transcribing the podcast comments about Cargill:

https://wrestling-edge.com/jim-cornette-claims-diva-is-shelton-benjamin-in-a-wig/

Cornette: Actually I froze this and I yelled out to Stacy [Cornette] because it was the long shot of her on the stage. She doesn’t know what’s going on during this program and she came out from the kitchen and I yelled: “look at Shelton Benjamin wearing that blonde wig” because she loves Shelton.

Last: That’s not nice.

Cornette: She looked and said: “is that Shelton?!” *laughs*

Last: That’s messed up.

Cornette: It’s close enough. Anyway, Jade Cargill walks out on the stage, Cody turns around and looks at her, she turns around and walks off and he turns around and Peter Avalon football kicks him right in the nuts. Of course the referee didn’t see it.

[...]

Cornette: The point is, Jade Cargill, she might be something someday but she ain’t gonna be today, tomorrow or any day next week. She is green as grass, over her head, it’s awkward to watch. A lot of people are saying she’s beautiful, some people like to have their balls nailed to a step stool also. I think she has the legs of Rhyno, the upper body of Shelton Benjamin but nevertheless the only time I’ve seen anyone this unprepared – any female this unprepared who was being pushed into a major spot in the wrestling business is if somebody was currently sleeping with her or if somebody wants to sleep with her. I don’t know which one of the two is applicable here but I know that it’s one of them.

JFC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Doubling down on my belief that Jade is going to be really good and it is going to be great when Cornette looks (even more) clueless (than usual) on top of being racist and misogynistic here!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you said that someone jim cornette considers beautiful appears very similar to jim ross in a wig and makeup, i would find that uncalled for and a lovely thing to say no matter how awful jim cornette is. some people have ugly moth-eaten brains.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

davidbix posted:

the only time I’ve seen anyone this unprepared – any female this unprepared who was being pushed into a major spot in the wrestling business is if somebody was currently sleeping with her or if somebody wants to sleep with her. I don’t know which one of the two is applicable here but I know that it’s one of them.

There have been like a dozen different women in WWE and WCW that were pushed into a major spot just because someone (usually Vince) wanted to slep with them, regardless of their actual skills, yet I don't see Cornette complaining.

Oh wait, those women were usually white and blonde, makes sense Cornette doesn't bring that up.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
imagine, someone being pushed quickly in wrestling because they're a good looking bodybuilder. unprecedented

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Jade Jogan is gonna drop the leg on that jabroni mark, Jim Cornett, brother

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCXdwLQR4

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

pro click

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question specifically regarding Cornette.

You know how "Oklahoma" was a horrible mean spirited joke character based on JR, designed purely to mock him?

Well has there ever been a similarly spiteful attempt to make a character based off of Cornette? And if so, how did the tantrum baby react to it?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Do you mean a parody of Cornette's gimmick or parody of Cornette the man? Because Cornette's gimmick was already a buffoonish manager who got constantly owned so you can't really parody that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Seams posted:

Do you mean a parody of Cornette's gimmick or parody of Cornette the man? Because Cornette's gimmick was already a buffoonish manager who got constantly owned so you can't really parody that.

I suppose I mean a parody of the man.

Coz I was thinking how generally beloved, (as far as I know), that JR is. And how mean spirited and petty it was to make fun of his bells palsy.

Then you have Cornette, who is rightly reviled in the industry. So considering the petty, mean spirited fucks that run wrestling companies, surely at least one would have mocked the angry little racist and his cuckqueen wife.

Then I was thinking how thins skinned he is, so his tantrum about it would also be funny.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Cornette in the last several years is already a parody of himself. I'll still take his word at any oral history up until he met Vince Russo where his brain turned into slush but for some reason he still thinks he can get away with being a misogynistic, transphobic, and racist to get Memphis Heat with "the marks"

Nobody wants to work with him because he's just a toxic shithead. A lot of the current AEW roster have some story of Jim saying gross and awful things about them and then trying to DM them to work an angle.

Broken clock and all, he did call out Jericho for being a Trump supporter but Cornettete says the same disgusting stuff that Trump did.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In a few BTEs The Bucks did a bit with an offscreen character yelling Cornette-isms at them.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

ChrisBTY posted:

In a few BTEs The Bucks did a bit with an offscreen character yelling Cornette-isms at them.

Yeah, I hated that because I watch those videos for fun not to be reminded of Jim Cornette.

Meanwhile, I come to this thread specifically to have my soul destroyed.

Thing is, I want both sometimes but most of the time I have no desire to be reminded that Jim Cornette exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Joey Janela could do a funny Cornette gimmick I bet.