Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I saw Nookrium playing Stonehearth with a community mod. Anyone have any experience with that?

Regarding the feedback on military systems in these games: it seems like people enjoy when they are a good resource sink, or they require a trade-off with an economic cost for maintaining your troops. It seems like the actual method of 'controlling' the troops doesn't matter, if it was handled by a competent AI and the player was left to manage the 'supply' side of it, that would be fun. Wargamers want to start with a war game and add some light economy, and the management goons want a nice economic simulator with an escape hatch for excess resources.

I ask because I've been working on a game, ostensibly in the management/4x sphere. It's got big Stargate Vibes, where you start on an Earth-like planet with access to a portal, and you would send teams through the portal to explore/get resources/run story encounters. Somebody I am working on the game with, wants to go really hard into an 'Xcom' like battlescape to resolve any combat encounters, my preference is to sim them based on stats and preference settings. I loved Xcom growing up, but I always felt like the tactical combat 'slowed the game down' and it would be more realistic to have multiple strike teams engaged in simultaneous encounters. I'm hoping to convince this person that the simulation route is the way to go, so that we can run multiple 'teams' and focus on the expansion, but this dude is deadset on trying to add an Xcom battlescape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tell him we don't need xcom games anymore, troubleshooter has perfected the formula

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For a tactical combat game, the Xcom tactical view must be the focus with the globe view being the method of progression. XCom 2 Long War mod sounds like your buddy's dream.

A example of tacked on xcom combat would be like Space Haven. Which is bad, don't do that. The other parallel I'm thinking of is Omerta: Gangster Game, which was also bad. Avoid.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like the idea of military games that feel like I'm trying to unfuck traffic jams in Sim City. I guess the closest analog I can think of would be the board game Race to the Rhine.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Philosophically, I want my management pvp to function exactly like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Grevlek posted:

I saw Nookrium playing Stonehearth with a community mod. Anyone have any experience with that?

Ive dumped hundreds of hours into Stonehearth and was very sad to learn the the devs ran out of money and had to release it early. However the community for it is surprisingly active and the ACE really does go a long way to fix the game and add in content and features that were supposed to be in the base game.

I find it really relaxing to build up some megaproject a handful of voxels at a time theb releasing my swarm of morons (and they are really dumb) to go build it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

A couple of pages back in this thread or the last one someone was talking about a game not really respecting your time and now that I've been going back and playing Planetbase to knock out a few achievements: it really rings true. Wish there was 12x speed. 4x feels so stilted.

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 16, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Grevlek posted:

Regarding the feedback on military systems in these games: it seems like people enjoy when they are a good resource sink, or they require a trade-off with an economic cost for maintaining your troops. It seems like the actual method of 'controlling' the troops doesn't matter, if it was handled by a competent AI and the player was left to manage the 'supply' side of it, that would be fun. Wargamers want to start with a war game and add some light economy, and the management goons want a nice economic simulator with an escape hatch for excess resources.

I ask because I've been working on a game, ostensibly in the management/4x sphere. It's got big Stargate Vibes, where you start on an Earth-like planet with access to a portal, and you would send teams through the portal to explore/get resources/run story encounters. Somebody I am working on the game with, wants to go really hard into an 'Xcom' like battlescape to resolve any combat encounters, my preference is to sim them based on stats and preference settings. I loved Xcom growing up, but I always felt like the tactical combat 'slowed the game down' and it would be more realistic to have multiple strike teams engaged in simultaneous encounters. I'm hoping to convince this person that the simulation route is the way to go, so that we can run multiple 'teams' and focus on the expansion, but this dude is deadset on trying to add an Xcom battlescape.

Honestly, that sounds like a solid setup for an x-com game. Ya'll should either make a management game or an x-com game. Don't try to do both in the same game.

I don't like randomness in my management games. The less convoluted the tactical layer is, the better.

Conversely, it's always the strategic layer of x-com I get bored with. The missions stay fun a lot longer than messing around with satellites and radio towers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Which brings in the split between people who want a tactics game with light management or a management game with light tactics.

For example, Starship Corporation is a game about designing, building, and using starships. Part of building the ship is to test the design under a variety of circumstances (normal operation, hit by meteor, boarded by space pirates, etc). Originally, players had to test these scenarios manually, which the developer thought was where the fun was. However, enough people complained that he added a "automatically simulate this scenario" button, and then an "auto simulate all" button, because most people thought the designing is where the fun was, not the scenario scoring.

So, you want to play a game where you can build an economy AND control an army, but which one is more important, and to who? Can the actual fighting be abstracted away altogether as X units vs Y units? Can the management be turned into "build this queue" allowing the player to ignore it otherwise?

My big problem with management games that employ armed conflict is that you either end up with someone blobbing and steamrolling, or artificial constraints are added to slow the blobbing and end up punishing you for trying to win. There's no room for fighting cleverly, no way to turn a war around once it's headed in a certain direction, no incentive to just peace out, and the diplomacy is usually half baked with your allies immediately turning on you once you've become larger than a breadbasket because you are now clearly a threat. It just ends up somewhat boring, which is the fatal flaw to the Total War games IMO.

I don't know how this could best be handled; there's that MMO where you can make bullets for other people to shoot, but it sounds grindy as well.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Volmarias posted:

I don't know how this could best be handled; there's that MMO where you can make bullets for other people to shoot, but it sounds grindy as well.

There's a what now?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I assume they mean EVE Online, most ammunition in the game that's shot is created by other players.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

I assume they mean EVE Online, most ammunition in the game that's shot is created by other players.

No, there's some top down (iirc) ww2 mmo game which involves you shoveling scrap into a furnace to grind out things so that Weedlord Goku can rush into battle and immediately die losing all of it. We definitely discussed it here.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Deadmeat5150 posted:

There's a what now?

Foxhole is the World War 1.5 Simulator.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Haha wow, I stand corrected. Sounds.. unique.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Less Fat Luke posted:

Haha wow, I stand corrected. Sounds.. unique.

Yes, unique. Wild experience. Requires a hard commitment of time to figure out your place in the world. Requires the spiritual fortitude to continue when you realize you are both irreplacable and irrelevant in the exact way that war works. Most life like sim I've ever experienced and I've done the napoleon era Mount and Blade mod with the musket lines and poo poo.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How's starship corporation? I've seen it in Steam a few times but never dug deep on it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LLSix posted:

How's starship corporation? I've seen it in Steam a few times but never dug deep on it.

It's unfinished, abandoned, and lacks polish, but I don't regret buying it even if I only played for tens of hours. It's definitely a neat genre concept that's been seriously missing for a long time.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Volmarias posted:

It's unfinished, abandoned, and lacks polish, but I don't regret buying it even if I only played for tens of hours. It's definitely a neat genre concept that's been seriously missing for a long time.

I think this is about right. I picked it up in the winter sale. I zen'd out for a bit while making a ship, automated the test runs, and had a few ships out plying the lanes. It's probably more fun if you like playing the test missions. If you wanted a more hands off kerbal space program, it might also hit that itch.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

LLSix posted:

Outside of playing it for maybe two nights after I bought it I dropped it. Could be that I was playing after hours and just didn't have the mental bandwidth to learn a new system, but it just didn't grab me because of the learning curve.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Don't know if Motorsport Manager was already mentioned but this game is loving blast. I have no inner knowledge of racing team's workings but seems very realistic to me. Everything costs a loving fortune, me budget is about 4 million euros and its nothing. This is literally either hire a ninja level driver and crap eveything else, our federation just had a vote whether mid-race refuel is allowed and I voted hard no because apparently to refuel a racecar is 20000 eur somehow.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sekenr posted:

Don't know if Motorsport Manager was already mentioned but this game is loving blast. I have no inner knowledge of racing team's workings but seems very realistic to me. Everything costs a loving fortune, me budget is about 4 million euros and its nothing. This is literally either hire a ninja level driver and crap eveything else, our federation just had a vote whether mid-race refuel is allowed and I voted hard no because apparently to refuel a racecar is 20000 eur somehow.

Can confirm, this game is amazing and it's often really, really cheap. It goes pretty deep in terms of part design and building your cars and you get to build up your drivers - it's just a lot of fun. And you can watch the little races. Love it.

e: This Let's Player isn't too bad and this video gives an idea of all the different aspects. I enjoy him getting cross with a potential hire who asks for too much money and deciding to stick with his current staff member out of spite. That's the kind of thing I do all the time in these games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxVRM_uQrk

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 17, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Sekenr posted:

It's in the OP :)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Motorsport Manager was my gateway drug to spending hundreds of dollars on a racing setup and F1 2020.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I'll have to take your word for it because when I see more than 5 pieces of DLC my eyes glaze over and I close the tab. It takes way too long to research whether the base game is OK without DLC and which DLC is worth it or not. I can understand it being completely different when you play something since the beginning and you see the DLCs come out one at a time but trying to get into a game with many DLCs now is way too annoying for me so I mostly just skip them.

I don't know whether the model is necessary for devs or not but I'll be really entitled here and say I don't give a poo poo. I just want to play a good, finished game.

The base game is free and super fun! I put in hundreds of hours before I got any DLC and have a few friends who got super into it without spending a dime. Also, the DLCs go on sale for a few bucks each pretty regularly if you wind up wanting to add settings and features. All the non-cosmetic DLC is worth it for sale prices except maybe the China one, since that mostly just adds events and not any major mechanics.

edit: I 100% agree with your point, though, and I avoid DLC traps like the plague anymore. CK2 got me good, but it earned it fair and square over several years and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

gonna try this Farm Manager 2021 since its free.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hihohe posted:

gonna try this Farm Manager 2021 since its free.

I thought that looked neat but didn't install it because I got distracted with a different thing, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

God the pictures they use for the workers look like they all come out of a Vogue magazine

doing the tutorial. so far it seems like if you like Sim farm where the tractors have to actual harvest and sow your fields, youll like it.

yeah seems pretty cool, not sure how difficult it will be, they only had a couple of missions and then this demo is over.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 17, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Thread favorite Quill18 had also done MM let's plays.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Motorsport Manager was my gateway drug to spending hundreds of dollars on a racing setup and F1 2020.

I think the same thing happened to the Penny Arcade guys, they did an MM twitch stream and now they're doing co-op iRacing.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2020/03/18

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Has anyone played Sim Airport? It looks like something I might enjoy but it also looks like they shamelessly ripped off their entire game design and systems from Prison Architect.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Has anyone played Sim Airport? It looks like something I might enjoy but it also looks like they shamelessly ripped off their entire game design and systems from Prison Architect.

I’m biased because I like the visual style of Airport CEO more anyway, but it does seem like airport CEO was a bit more... fleshed out and is basically the same game? Not sure if others would agree with me though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sim Airport is actually a lot of fun but it absolutely is mostly ripped off of Prison Architect. That being said, as someone who loved the hell out of Prison Archtect I very much enjoyed playing Sim Airport for ~15 hours or so. You eventually start making insane amounts of money and the challenge of the game kinda goes away at a certain point which is why I eventually moved on from it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m biased because I like the visual style of Airport CEO more anyway, but it does seem like airport CEO was a bit more... fleshed out and is basically the same game? Not sure if others would agree with me though.
Airport CEO seems better/more enjoyable for stuff outside the terminal, while SimAirport terminals seem better. Both games lack noticeably in the everyday employee management part. IMO.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Funny that starship corporation was mentioned the other day. Last night I was thinking about Clockwork Empires and remembered there was an achievement that was listed at 0.0% on steam (kill 1k dodos) and went looking on tracker sites to see if anyone had it. I found exactly 1 person that claims to have platinumed the game. Clockwork Empires is apparently pulled from steam now as well. So I looked through my other steam games for achievements with 0.0% and there are a couple for starship corporation. I was idly thinking about trying to get them before remembering how many issues that game has.

That’s my management game story, been busy playing Sniper GW contracts to learn W&R right now.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chakan posted:

Funny that starship corporation was mentioned the other day. Last night I was thinking about Clockwork Empires and remembered there was an achievement that was listed at 0.0% on steam (kill 1k dodos) and went looking on tracker sites to see if anyone had it. I found exactly 1 person that claims to have platinumed the game. Clockwork Empires is apparently pulled from steam now as well. So I looked through my other steam games for achievements with 0.0% and there are a couple for starship corporation. I was idly thinking about trying to get them before remembering how many issues that game has.

That’s my management game story, been busy playing Sniper GW contracts to learn W&R right now.

CWE was pulled? Glad I still have my copy. Heck I'm still friends with a few of the devs. I should fire it up someday.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

CWE was pulled? Glad I still have my copy. Heck I'm still friends with a few of the devs. I should fire it up someday.

Per dev request, according to steam. It was really shaping up to be a solid game but I could only play a few hours before the issues made me drop it & I haven’t touched it since 2016.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It would have been a lot smoother if they hadn't tried to design their own engine from the ground up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Also, if they hadn't run out of money.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just got Endzone. Anyone play it? Seems much better than Aftermath but haven't played much.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Just got Endzone. Anyone play it? Seems much better than Aftermath but haven't played much.

Really? I had always heard STA was the best of the few post apocalypse town/colony builders. What grabs you more than Aftermath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Watched a stream of Endzone and I've been playing After The Fall. Yeah, you're not wrong it does seem better.

The two game model the same sort of thing but goes about it mechanically different. After The Fall has been best in the early game and put a lot of its actual engagement into the Specialist Mechanic. It is kinda wild how it took the Tropico 3/4/5 Presidente as pawn framework and pushed it full speed ahead in base. Or you can shove all your specialists out of the colony and play a civ like german board game, each turn having to alt tab to the base so time can move forward. After 15 turns you might get those components required for power which is required for wood and waste clean up... I guess. The tech tree is a mess.

Endzone strikes more Hearts of Iron, or Victoria vibes with me. The UI is very spreadsheet and intricate, but well crafted. Their version of out of base exploration is far more immidiate and fulfilling.