Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

actionjackson posted:

is this on the iphone or on my mac?

It's a setting on your iPhone. I don't know if old messages will sync, it's been a while since I've turned it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's a setting on your iPhone. I don't know if old messages will sync, it's been a while since I've turned it on

looks like no but that's no

i just sent a message on my iphone, it said "iMessage" and the message was in blue instead of green. it also showed up in iMessage on my mac. the person i sent it to has an iPhone. My understanding is this:

if the recipient does not have an iPhone, it will be green
if the recipient has an iPhone but is not using iMessage, it will be blue
if the recipient has an iPhone and is using iMessage, it will be... green?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

iMessage is blue and SMS is green. So if it stays in the Apple ecosystem (macOS to macOS, macOS to iOS, iOS to iOS), it should be blue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CygnusTM posted:

iMessage is blue and SMS is green. So if it stays in the Apple ecosystem (macOS to macOS, macOS to iOS, iOS to iOS), it should be blue.

ah ok thank you

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Unless you send one without internet and instead it goes over sms, then it will be green

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jam2 posted:

I've been using Magnet for a while now, but my monitor is large enough that i actually want more granular control of windows, so it's cool to see this other Mosaic option mentioned here. Gonna try it out.
Don't think I saw it mentioned, but I've been using Moom for years. You can get really granular if you wish, as well as the usual layout options in other apps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Moom is great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry if this should have gone into the Mac Hardware thread, wasn't quite sure! I recently noticed that my latest Time Capsule backup says December 22nd. When I try to manually backup it says preparing, then stopping. Nothing seems to happen. I have a 2018 Mac Mini fully updated and a 4th gen Time Capsule. I've tried googling around for this issue and have found so many different answers that I really don't have a clue. Any ideas? There's space and I can access the drive just fine.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry if this should have gone into the Mac Hardware thread, wasn't quite sure! I recently noticed that my latest Time Capsule backup says December 22nd. When I try to manually backup it says preparing, then stopping. Nothing seems to happen. I have a 2018 Mac Mini fully updated and a 4th gen Time Capsule. I've tried googling around for this issue and have found so many different answers that I really don't have a clue. Any ideas? There's space and I can access the drive just fine.

This happened to me backing up to my Synology NAS last week and it basically caused me to just nuke where I back it up and create a new directory. My gut feeling at the time was that the Mac was getting confused between SMB and AFP but if you were having the same issue with an actual Time Capsule then I really have no idea.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Time Machine is just inherently unstable and unreliable. This kind of sudden and silent failure has been a standard feature for many many years now, and no real explanation or solution has ever been offered aside from manually checking every now and then and just nuking and restarting when it happens.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's so goddamned frustrating that when Time Machine launched it was incredible and it's gotten worse and worse over the years, and the alternatives are also generally terrible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gotta sell that iCloud space!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Tippis posted:

Time Machine is just inherently unstable and unreliable. This kind of sudden and silent failure has been a standard feature for many many years now, and no real explanation or solution has ever been offered aside from manually checking every now and then and just nuking and restarting when it happens.

Yeah the huge red flag for me was I gave the drive 2TB and after a week time capsule was showing 1TB available and another two weeks it jumped to 2.3TB available. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
While where in this general area is there a good way to set up iSCSI now? Most of what I’m reading says Big Sur and Apple Silicon broke most the previous methods available.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's so goddamned frustrating that when Time Machine launched it was incredible and it's gotten worse and worse over the years, and the alternatives are also generally terrible.

Quite.
I ended up just using the backup solution that came with my Synology NAS — it is ugly and unoptimised and slow and horrible. But it reliably backs up the data, and that makes it better than just about anything in the one area that counts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gotta sell that iCloud space!

iCloud is a sync service, not a backup service.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does macOS 11.1 feel sluggish for anyone else? My 2019 MBP has been slow to respond lately with visible pauses when typing, switching between apps, etc... Its uptime is just over 30 days, is that too long to go between reboots?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No sluggishness but I’ve recently started getting video bugs in every single browser I use :mrwhite:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a reason why when I delete messages on my phone, they don't also get removed in the messages app on my mac? Otherwise the syncing is working really well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you have iCloud turned on for messages on all your devices?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone use Arq for backup?

https://www.arqbackup.com

I like how you can specify specific files and folders and back them up at intervals to both externals/NAS drives and cloud solutions at the same time. It also does diffs to speed up operations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Violator posted:

I like how you can specify specific files and folders and back them up at intervals to both externals/NAS drives and cloud solutions at the same time. It also does diffs to speed up operations.

I liked it until the first time it had to prune the backup set, which took about twelve hours for 120 gigs (with the MacBook fans full tilt). I turned off pruning so I guess when it reaches some large size I’ll backup from scratch to a new directory and delete the old one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

I liked it until the first time it had to prune the backup set, which took about twelve hours for 120 gigs (with the MacBook fans full tilt). I turned off pruning so I guess when it reaches some large size I’ll backup from scratch to a new directory and delete the old one.

Dang, that's pretty crummy. What version did that?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Violator posted:

Honestly I should probably give this a go since I've been meaning to set up Restic for literally months and I just can never be bothered to configure and test it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just had the weirdest macOS bug I've ever seen. I booted my iMac this morning, which is running Big Sur 11.1 from an external SSD.
Most apps wouldn't open and webpages wouldn't load on 5ghz WiFi. I actually thought there was a problem with a drive so I did a new copy with CCC but had the same issue. As soon as I switched to 2.4G, it all worked again. NO idea what's going on here. Any ideas?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Violator posted:

Dang, that's pretty crummy. What version did that?

5 and I’ve heard it’s not fixed in 6 but would love to be wrong.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My M1 MBA keeps randomly switching to the screensaver which is annoying, and clicking and poo poo does nothing so I need to hit the touchID button, close the lid, then log back in.

Violator
May 15, 2003

jokes posted:

My M1 MBA keeps randomly switching to the screensaver which is annoying, and clicking and poo poo does nothing so I need to hit the touchID button, close the lid, then log back in.

Looks like a widespread problem. :(

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/18/m1-macs-fast-user-switching-screensaver-bug/

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Does anyone know if Sidecar works better directly linked to the Mac through USB, I like the idea of it but it seems to randomly kill my MBP’s wifi connection and be a little choppy.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

the corona quid posted:

Does anyone know if Sidecar works better directly linked to the Mac through USB, I like the idea of it but it seems to randomly kill my MBP’s wifi connection and be a little choppy.

Yes, it does work better through USB. Is there a reason you haven’t tried it yourself? It just takes a regular lightning cable.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

IAmKale posted:

Does macOS 11.1 feel sluggish for anyone else? My 2019 MBP has been slow to respond lately with visible pauses when typing, switching between apps, etc... Its uptime is just over 30 days, is that too long to go between reboots?

If you’ve got chrome, try following these instructions:
https://chromeisbad.com

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Yes, it does work better through USB. Is there a reason you haven’t tried it yourself? It just takes a regular lightning cable.

Honestly I was just purely unaware that it could be done that way and the only lightning to USB-C cable I have is buried in an iPhone box somewhere. Have to dig it out.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

No sluggishness but I’ve recently started getting video bugs in every single browser I use :mrwhite:

sounds like an SMC and PRAM reset is in your future imo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

chaosbreather posted:

If you’ve got chrome, try following these instructions:
https://chromeisbad.com

you can also avoid this issue by using Microsoft EDGE Chromium edition because it uses MS Autoupdate instead of keystone

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Do you have iCloud turned on for messages on all your devices?

I just turned it on my phone - thanks, hopefully that fixes it.

On my mac, I don't see messages under "apps on this mac using icloud" but when I click options next to icloud drive int he same list, messages is checked in that list

I'll see what happens with the next message I get and delete (these are all multi-factor authentication codes, so I get several a day)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Violator posted:

I’ve been using it for years, although by "using it" I mean set it up forever ago and haven’t tested it out in a while :ohdear:. I have it backing up to a MinIO (Amazon S3 compatible) instance on my NAS cause...backing up to S3 is more efficient in some way w/Arq, I forget exactly. I don’t think I’ve seen the pruning issue, but I’m running on a desktop and just have it run daily in the middle of the night. I want to say it automatically prunes weekly or monthly but need to check the logs to be sure.

Just had the weirdest macOS bug I've ever seen. I booted my iMac this morning, which is running Big Sur 11.1 from an external SSD.
Most apps wouldn't open and webpages wouldn't load on 5ghz WiFi. I actually thought there was a problem with a drive so I did a new copy with CCC but had the same issue. As soon as I switched to 2.4G, it all worked again. NO idea what's going on here. Any ideas?
I’m on Mojave (I think) and have seen it go to poo poo when the network is connected but on a dying/spotty internet connection. Like disabling the connection entirely or pulling the ethernet made everything fine again (other than internet necessary stuff of course). Maybe the 5ghz network was borking for some reason while 2.4 was fine?

I always thought it was related to the OCSP check bug or something similar, but didn’t know about the Google Chrome/Keystone thing at the time (at least related to this) so who knows :iiam:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

actionjackson posted:

I just turned it on my phone - thanks, hopefully that fixes it.

On my mac, I don't see messages under "apps on this mac using icloud" but when I click options next to icloud drive int he same list, messages is checked in that list

I'll see what happens with the next message I get and delete (these are all multi-factor authentication codes, so I get several a day)
Confusingly on the Mac the option for using iCloud sync for messages is actually in Messages preferences instead of in iCloud account settings where all the other iCloud sync stuff is. I’d suggest you double check that the setting in there (I think it’s in the first prefs pane towards the end) is definitely switched on regardless of what iCloud says.

If that’s all set up the only thing I can think of is that maybe iCloud sync doesn’t cater for SMS relayed messages that well and doesn’t sync back your MFA messages because they’re not from Apple’s servers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

japtor posted:

I always thought it was related to the OCSP check bug or something similar, but didn’t know about the Google Chrome/Keystone thing at the time (at least related to this) so who knows :iiam:

That’s exactly what I was thinking as well but then I was also thinking there’s no way Apple would code something so stupid....
:shobon:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mercurius posted:

Confusingly on the Mac the option for using iCloud sync for messages is actually in Messages preferences instead of in iCloud account settings where all the other iCloud sync stuff is. I’d suggest you double check that the setting in there (I think it’s in the first prefs pane towards the end) is definitely switched on regardless of what iCloud says.

If that’s all set up the only thing I can think of is that maybe iCloud sync doesn’t cater for SMS relayed messages that well and doesn’t sync back your MFA messages because they’re not from Apple’s servers.

thanks - I have "enable messages in iCloud" checked.

edit: just tried deleting a message on my phone and it immediately went away in Messages, so it works - thanks!

I have noticed a message in my phone messages app saying "connect to wifi and plug in to sync" - my phone is plugged in now, maybe that's why it worked instantly? but I don't really get why it needs to be plugged in for this to happen.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actionjackson posted:

thanks - I have "enable messages in iCloud" checked.

edit: just tried deleting a message on my phone and it immediately went away in Messages, so it works - thanks!

I have noticed a message in my phone messages app saying "connect to wifi and plug in to sync" - my phone is plugged in now, maybe that's why it worked instantly? but I don't really get why it needs to be plugged in for this to happen.

if it was just enabled, the initial sync might be paused until the device is plugged in so it doesn't waste battery on a large upload/sync. after an initial sync, it won't need to be plugged in order to be kept up-to-date.