Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

The Scythe Mugen 5 if you can get it at RRP (change from $50) or the Fuma 2 (~$55) are both excellent for the 5600x. I have the Fuma 2.

Also I'm running a 600W PSU with a 3080 and 5600x and it's totally fine. Before undervolting I was pulling around 474W and now it's more like 400W so I don't see the fuss about hitting the manufacturer's recommendation, which we all know is aimed at people who are hypothetically running lowest common denominator PSUs coupled with the thirstiest CPUs

Fuma 2 should perform generally quite a bit better if you can get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Can confirm I'm running a 3600 and an aftermarket 3070 on a 550w and it's been perfectly stable (and with the latter running on only one rail at that)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Can confirm I'm running a 3600 and an aftermarket 3070 on a 550w and it's been perfectly stable (and with the latter running on only one rail at that)

It’s not about if it will work or not. It probably will.

It’s about not skimping $15 on a $1.5k build. Why would you intentionally introduce an issue risk (that would require rebuying a whole component) just to save that $15?

Moving a PSU you have is one thing. You try, it doesn’t work, you upgrade. Or it works and you saved $100. But that just makes no sense when you’re already buying new.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s about not skimping $15 on a $1.5k build. Why would you intentionally introduce an issue risk (that would require rebuying a whole component) just to save that $15?

Moving a PSU you have is one thing. You try, it doesn’t work, you upgrade. Or it works and you saved $100. But that just makes no sense when you’re already buying new.

If you have a little extra cash, I agree that it's not the stupidest thing to get some PSU overhead if you think you might end up buying one of the next gen of GPUs in case they end up being even thirstier than the current crop. However if you know that won't be the case, or you're budget limited, there's really no sense in getting a GPU that's like 70% higher wattage than your actual needs, nor is it unsafe at all. Buying from an unknown brand is a much bigger risk than buying underneath the recommended wattage IMO, as long as you've done the maths.

Go and put together a build on PCPP with a 10900k, a huge AIO, 64GB of RAM, a bunch of mixed storage, 6 fans, and a 3080, and you'll see why the 'recommended' PSU is 750W. Do the same build with a 5600x, an air cooler, 2 sticks of RAM, a couple case fans, and an NVMe drive and you'll see the difference.

I haven't been posting in this thread ages but I seem to have noticed a trend from people going from saying 'trust the PCPP calculations and aim for a PSU that's 25% higher than the recommended wattage for decent efficiency' to 'buy a 750W PSU no matter what' and I don't understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstanding something, I'm willing to learn.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's just paying extra for something entirely unnecessary imo. :shrug: He's not going to need a 750w PSU. The recommendations from nvidia are too high and people are literally running them on 550w with zero problems.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

So I managed to snag a 3070 after a month or so of watching stock discords. I got a PNY one, but now I'm seeing some stuff about PNY cards being pretty bad. Is it bad enough that I should try and cancel the order and hold out for a better one? It's so exhausting (in the lamest possible sense, I know) to constantly monitor the discords just to try and get a video card, so I'd like to be done with it if I can...

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It's old anecdata, but I've had a PNY 1060 for a smidge more than 4 years without a problem. I think they're the "worst" of the partner manufacturers, but at the end of the day, its all nvidia silicon, right? Issues should be pretty few and far between.

I would think the biggest differences would come with cooling; as long as your case is well cooled, you should be okay.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I'm looking to do some gaming in the area of 1440p @ 144hrz, I know AMD Ryzen 5600x seems to be the way to go and I probably would be interested if I could seemingly find something in stock and also.. I'm sort of nervous about flashing bios? I really only ever build intel builds twice in the past 15 or so years of PC building, I've been told it's just updating the bios and I've also been told it may be some situation where I may have to swap CPUs and then change them back? I'm unsure on this and sort of want simple. (If you could sell me on a Ryzen 5600x and a motherboard that I would just 'plug and play' and not have to be concerned with any issues between the two)

I'd be open for suggestions to a monitor and some case fans, I think this case can do 120 up to 140 mm fans. Any part suggestions would also be taken into consideration, at this point nothing has been purchased but I'd like to buy as much from Amazon if the prices were within a few dollar range just for the sake of Amazon Locker delivery.

I'm really just sitting in a bunch of discords over the past few weeks like everyone else waiting on a chance to spring for a 3070, I'd buy a 3080 if I could get the chance for that as well. I've been told to keep an eye on Bestbuy's website tomorrow so I'll keep that in mind.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1140.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-18 15:50 EST-0500

iroguebot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 18, 2021

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Hello good folks. I'm looking to build a computer for the first time in my life and am coming off a 2017 laptop that runs what I want it to, but in a compromised manner. Please let me know honest thoughts, including if I'm going overboard or am missing anything. I've read the OP and last 5 pages or so and have taken some suggestions, but would like a fresh look.

I'll note that I expect to be waiting a bit on a GPU to make this useful, which then makes me think waiting for Intel's Gen 11 may be worthwhile, but am open to thoughts there. This isn't highly urgent as I can make do with my current setup, but I'd like to build in the first half of the year ideally.

What country are you in? - USA. I do have a Microcenter nearby.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming and streaming. Primary use will be iRacing (which is extremely single-core CPU heavy) but I'd also like to be able to run other new releases.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. - $3k including a monitor, and this is starting from scratch (only a mouse and headset will come over).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I'm looking for a 34" ultrawide, which is included in the build below. GFX wise, I'm looking for quality and smoothness at 144hz, which is why I'm looking at a 3080. I am willing to pay a bit more to make this system last a good chunk of time.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte Z490 UD ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *OLOy WarHawk RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($312.25 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($779.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PST 53 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: *MSI Optix MPG341CQR 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($771.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $2876.09
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-18 16:22 EST-0500

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boxman posted:

A quick, no compromises build. It prices in the $20 discount you'll get from buying the motherboard and the processor together (and I made sure that motherboard is in stock at our store, what up STL buddy). I sort of guessed at the price of a 3070, since you'll probably have to settle for whatever partner card you can get your hands on.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($115.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($550.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1383.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-17 09:37 EST-0500

Boxman posted:

Looking at your post history, are you planning on keeping that 1080p monitor, or are you looking to replace it? And with what resolution?

I don't know how much monitors cost these days, but you may be able to sneak a 4k system under that budget. Or get way, way under that and have a great 1080p machine. A complete 1440p build should also be pretty easy with that budget. EDIT: To ward the question off at the pass, for a great few-compromises build targeting 1440, look at my post history; its the 5600x/3070 machine. Like I said, that motherboard was sort of chosen at random to get gears turning. If you're looking for features that its missing, we can sort that out.

How much faster is nVme than a regular SSD? I have a 1tb SSD in the old computer, so could I cut the nVme and then use that 78$ to get something else?

I also am not clear what faster RAM really does for me, so could I just use my old ram? (I've checked both pieces are compatibly with the build you've provided.

Just doing that would cut almost $200 which I could then push forward to getting scalped or a monitor.

Also I think the machine you posted would be great, I'm not sure about getting a new monitor, I've never actually seen 1440p or 4k in person, so how much better is the video quality?

I have a 1080 144hz monitor, but I am kind of thinking of paying scalper prices, so I guess I'd need to add 200$-400$ to your build, right?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Basically, my budget is 1806, and if I pay scalper prices for the card, then I'm short 140$ for my build so I need to find a way to cut some prices.

What I'm looking at right now:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520M S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($550.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.89 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1222.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-18 17:23 EST-0500

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's such a bad time to build right now unless you have an old GPU you can use to hold you over until stock gets better or you are willing to stalk discords and then still pay a ridiculous amount for a GPU because of new tariffs and aftermarket cards in general are just going for more because they know they will sell. And even then, stalking the discord for the GPU's is really tough. They sell out in literal seconds.

The 5600x processor is pretty easy to snipe if you hang out in the discords and turn on notifications. I got one after 4 days of trying.

Don't pay scalper prices :( I hate seeing people pay scalper prices. Scalpers are the worst.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 18, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's not a good idea to mix and match RAM, right? I have 16gb of 3200hz CL16 Corsair Vengeance installed, but might use some of my tax return/stimulus to get another two LED sticks (I don't have any other lighting in my case right now and a functional upgrade sounds best)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's such a bad time to build right now unless you have an old GPU you can use to hold you over until stock gets better or you are willing to stalk discords and then still pay a ridiculous amount for a GPU because of new tariffs and aftermarket cards in general are just going for more because they know they will sell. And even then, stalking the discord for the GPU's is really tough. They sell out in literal seconds.

The 5600x processor is pretty easy to snipe if you hang out in the discords and turn on notifications. I got one after 4 days of trying.

Don't pay scalper prices :( I hate seeing people pay scalper prices. Scalpers are the worst.

I'm definitely considering squirreling the PC build money away for a few months and seeing what happens. I'm never ever quick enough to grab things online before they're sold. I just want a PC that isn't a 7 year old dinosaur. Sigh.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Boba Pearl posted:

How much faster is nVme than a regular SSD? I have a 1tb SSD in the old computer, so could I cut the nVme and then use that 78$ to get something else?

I also am not clear what faster RAM really does for me, so could I just use my old ram? (I've checked both pieces are compatibly with the build you've provided.

Just doing that would cut almost $200 which I could then push forward to getting scalped or a monitor.

Also I think the machine you posted would be great, I'm not sure about getting a new monitor, I've never actually seen 1440p or 4k in person, so how much better is the video quality?

I have a 1080 144hz monitor, but I am kind of thinking of paying scalper prices, so I guess I'd need to add 200$-400$ to your build, right?

Reuse the SATA SSD. There's a difference that's big enough to advise NVMe drives when starting from scratch, but it isn't like the HDD->SSD transition, where you'd want to toss working components for the upgrade.

Faster RAM just makes pretty much everything better, since your RAM is more or less constantly getting queried. I believe Ryzen processors are, for whatever reason, more sensitive to changes in speeds than their Intel counterparts, so it is likely to be an actual difference. But if it's the difference between making budget and not making budget, there's nothing wrong with reusing RAM until you can save a bit more money to upgrade. Or, if you're running things well enough to make you happy, just keep on keepin' on.

It's really hard to say how much of an upgrade bumping resolution is, since visuals are really subjective. I can say that each bump in resolution will lead to sharper visuals (assuming the monitor size is the same, of course), but I can't sit here and say "this will change your gaming experience." There's also the whole "you'll never know what you missed" thing; if you never saw a 4K television, you would have said standard HD is fine forever. Also, upgrading your display softly nudges you into buying video cards that can adequately drive it for the life of the monitor, which is probably longer than the video card. That may mean an expensive upgrade when you leave the 30xx behind. All that said, I really like my 1440 display, but I was coming off a 1080 60hz budget monitor.

I couldn't tell you what secondary market prices are. I'd say check SA-Mart first, since cards do show up there. But yeah, generally speaking, its just a bad time to be building a machine without a video card in hand.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 19, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

4K stuff also depends on your eye quality. :emo:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My kid dumped a bowl of ramen on his computer and I was going to hobble something together out of whatever was salvagable. But I've decided to give him my old computer a build myself a new system.

So far I have a 5600x and a TUF X570+ and I already have an extra NVME drive and 1080ti. I guess my only question is whether I should pay for 4400 memory?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Withnail posted:

My kid dumped a bowl of ramen on his computer and I was going to hobble something together out of whatever was salvagable. But I've decided to give him my old computer a build myself a new system.

So far I have a 5600x and a TUF X570+ and I already have an extra NVME drive and 1080ti. I guess my only question is whether I should pay for 4400 memory?

No. 3600 is the sweet spot for Zen 3, 3200 is perfectly fine, anything above actually ends up being too fast and running at slower speeds for reasons I don't understand but they exist. You want a CAS latency of 16 too.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Quick question that's a little too specific for googling.

I'm looking to buy more RAM, I currently have a H97 ASRock LGA1150 mobo that it would be going into. I gather I have to get DDR3 for it to work, but I'm not positive what Mhz to get. I currently have 8GB of 1600, so I was assuming I would need to get the additional ram in 1600 as well, but assuming I upgrade my mobo at some point, it would be nice to carry some or all of the RAM over, but a new mobo would be taking DDR4 so is it worth the very slightly extra cost for 1866Mhz DDR3? Or should I be expecting to buy new RAM because DDR4? This is assuming the 1866Mhz would even work with my mobo?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Immolat1on posted:

Quick question that's a little too specific for googling.

I'm looking to buy more RAM, I currently have a H97 ASRock LGA1150 mobo that it would be going into. I gather I have to get DDR3 for it to work, but I'm not positive what Mhz to get. I currently have 8GB of 1600, so I was assuming I would need to get the additional ram in 1600 as well, but assuming I upgrade my mobo at some point, it would be nice to carry some or all of the RAM over, but a new mobo would be taking DDR4 so is it worth the very slightly extra cost for 1866Mhz DDR3? Or should I be expecting to buy new RAM because DDR4? This is assuming the 1866Mhz would even work with my mobo?

RAM will run at the lowest speed of any ram in the system, so getting ram >1600 doesn't do you any good.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Some Goon posted:

RAM will run at the lowest speed of any ram in the system, so getting ram >1600 doesn't do you any good.

Its strictly for the prospect of going into a future motherboard that would support it. So for an extra 2 bucks I could carry 1866 DDR3 instead of 1600 to a new motherboard. But if the difference in speed between DDR3 and DDR4 is really noticeable I would rather cough up for new DDR4.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Immolat1on posted:

Its strictly for the prospect of going into a future motherboard that would support it. So for an extra 2 bucks I could carry 1866 DDR3 instead of 1600 to a new motherboard. But if the difference in speed between DDR3 and DDR4 is really noticeable I would rather cough up for new DDR4.

You're not going to be buying a motherboard in the future that's compatible with DDR3, unless you like spending more money to get outdated second hand components. RAM isn't forwards or backwards compatible.

Your next upgrade will require at the least, a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 20, 2021

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'm very interested in grabbing a couple of RTX3060's at launch for retail. Do these generally drop in brick and mortars? Is there any way I can up my chances using the old ways, camping outside of gamestop the night before the wii launch?

Yes I asked a very similar question two pages ago... but I've only decided since then it's even more important that I get this right.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TimWinter posted:

I'm very interested in grabbing a couple of RTX3060's at launch for retail. Do these generally drop in brick and mortars? Is there any way I can up my chances using the old ways, camping outside of gamestop the night before the wii launch?

Yes I asked a very similar question two pages ago... but I've only decided since then it's even more important that I get this right.

From how things are going you'd be lucky to find a store in your state with 3060s, and even if you do they'll 100% be 1 per customer.

Why do want 2? If it's for SLI, then only 3090s can even do it and most things don't even support it anymore.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

It's the best price point for GPU ram / dollar by far, which is important for some ML workloads. I have no idea why the 3060 has 4GB more ram than the 3060 Ti, but it's certainly a windfall if I can find them.

I really don't like camping out a website, but if that's the most reliable option to get two I'll do that.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TimWinter posted:

I have no idea why the 3060 has 4GB more ram than the 3060 Ti,

Bus width

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($800)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($90)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($400)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($299)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($320)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($140)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($230)

Video card is existing and I think I'll hold out for a generation. Rest is on order but not shipped yet/cancelable and I'm still hunting a CPU. I may end up with a 5600x to avoid feeding the scalpers, but the plan is to go ultra high end to replace my 8-year-old 4790k build.

Case was really frustrating for me. I want front USB-C for sure. I'd prefer it actually be on the front rather than the top like the Meshify 2. The Meshify 2 feels too big -- I really want an updated Meshify C with USB-C. I was also considering the O11 Dynamic but I know I need to switch coolers.

My priority is silence over budget and aside from turning on PBO and XMP I don't really plan on OCing. Any suggestion/critique or cases I'm missing?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KS posted:

Any suggestion/critique or cases I'm missing?

I'm busy right now but your CPU, RAM, motherboard and storage are a combination of massively overpriced or overkill for your needs (unless you're doing some extremely specific high end editing/computational work) so I'd cancel them all unless you know you explicitly need that many cores/threads/lanes on your motherboard. There's high end and then there's pointless overkill and your build looks an awful lot like the latter at the moment.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 20, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

TimWinter posted:

It's the best price point for GPU ram / dollar by far, which is important for some ML workloads. I have no idea why the 3060 has 4GB more ram than the 3060 Ti, but it's certainly a windfall if I can find them.

I really don't like camping out a website, but if that's the most reliable option to get two I'll do that.

Good luck my friend. There are people who have been camping out websites for 3060Ti's, 3070's, and 3080's for months and still don't have them. Getting multiple 3060's on release date would be an incredible get. The GPU market is insanely hosed up right now.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

KS posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($800)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($90)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($400)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($299)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($320)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($140)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($230)

Video card is existing and I think I'll hold out for a generation. Rest is on order but not shipped yet/cancelable and I'm still hunting a CPU. I may end up with a 5600x to avoid feeding the scalpers, but the plan is to go ultra high end to replace my 8-year-old 4790k build.

Case was really frustrating for me. I want front USB-C for sure. I'd prefer it actually be on the front rather than the top like the Meshify 2. The Meshify 2 feels too big -- I really want an updated Meshify C with USB-C. I was also considering the O11 Dynamic but I know I need to switch coolers.

My priority is silence over budget and aside from turning on PBO and XMP I don't really plan on OCing. Any suggestion/critique or cases I'm missing?

Get a 5800x. They come in stock quite frequently.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBW3VD/ Get this for storage to save $100.

You most likely don't need 32GB, but RAM isn't too expensive these days so if you want to splurge, meh. That motherboard is also way overkill. You can find something in the $200 range that will do the same things. As stated by Butterfly, this is all just massive overkill. Save yourself several hundreds of dollars and the PC is going to do the same things.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't think 32GB is really overkill anymore although it's certainly not strictly necessary for gaming, also four ranks is the best performing configuration for Ryzen and 99% of the time that means 4x8 or 2x16.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I realize I forgot purpose: 3440x1440p @ 144 gaming and light development. I will be the first person to buy a 42" C1 and go for 4k@120

I appreciate the feedback. I switched the SSD. I have trouble switching to B550 and there are few fanless X570 options. I was actually aiming for 64gb but pulled back because it sounds like it's tough finding single rank 16gb sticks that aren't hundreds of dollars each.

Before my 4790k I think I was building new PCs every ~3 years and this one made it 8, through 3 video cards. I'm hoping to get a similar number out of the next one.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm almost certain the difference between a 5800x and a 5950x isn't going to help you push any extra frames at that resolution. You are going to need a monster video card to do so. And the price difference is $350.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Got my MAG B550M Mortar Wifi in yesterday from Newegg and the heatsink on the chipset wasn't attached. It only had 1 of 2 screws and was flopping around inside the anti-static bag. This is the 3rd computer in a row that I've built where something was wrong with the motherboard on arrival. I already shipped it back for replacement but I was hoping to have the machine built and ready this week :(

TimWinter posted:

I got my 3070 from my local BestBuy following the stock discord - online order with curbside pickup. So maybe that way?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KS posted:

I realize I forgot purpose: 3440x1440p @ 144 gaming and light development. I will be the first person to buy a 42" C1 and go for 4k@120

I appreciate the feedback. I switched the SSD. I have trouble switching to B550 and there are few fanless X570 options. I was actually aiming for 64gb but pulled back because it sounds like it's tough finding single rank 16gb sticks that aren't hundreds of dollars each.

Before my 4790k I think I was building new PCs every ~3 years and this one made it 8, through 3 video cards. I'm hoping to get a similar number out of the next one.

For 4k gaming there is almost zero difference between the entire Zen 3 stack. We're talking literally low single digits. You're entirely GPU bound at that point. If you're desperate to splurge then get a 3090 but even that isn't running most new games at anything near 4k@120 unless you're lowering lots of settings.

64GB RAM is also useless unless you have extremely high demands for your work, 4k video editing etc. Only one game exists at this point to take any advantage of 32GB over 16GB RAM (Flight simulator), so sticking to fast 32GB of RAM is absolutely the right call there.

Regarding having trouble going to B550, why? Where on your build are you taking advantage of PCIe 4, beyond what you can get on a B550 board? Seems you'd be better off getting a great B550 board and saving yourself $200 while not having to worry about the chipset fan.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 20, 2021

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I got my 3070 from my local BestBuy following the stock discord - online order with curbside pickup. So maybe that way?

I'll probably set up a bunch of different ways to buy the drat card, and stop once I have two.

Have cryptocurrencies done anything meaningful yet? I guess they blew up Nvidia's stock price so they could release the 30XX series, but drat it doesn't matter if no one can get them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I've benchmarked a 5800X vs 5950X in gaming and the difference was like 2% tops, probably just from the slightly higher boost clocks. I need to try Cyberpunk though since I guess it scales better with cores.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

TimWinter posted:

I'll probably set up a bunch of different ways to buy the drat card, and stop once I have two.

Have cryptocurrencies done anything meaningful yet? I guess they blew up Nvidia's stock price so they could release the 30XX series, but drat it doesn't matter if no one can get them.

This is like 80+ 3080's

Bitcoin is "worth" like 35k right now. Nvidia's stock blew up because they are so far ahead of AMD in the gaming market and covid has made everyone stay home and want to game and build PC's for the last 9+ months. The supply sucks because of covid and the demand also sucks because of covid. It's the perfect storm (along with AMD not being competitive annnnnd they have their own supply issues as well).

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Butterfly Valley posted:

For 4k gaming there is almost zero difference between the entire Zen 3 stack. We're talking literally low single digits. You're entirely GPU bound at that point. If you're desperate to splurge then get a 3090 but even that isn't running most new games at anything near 4k@120 unless you're lowering lots of settings.

Regarding having trouble going to B550, why? Where on your build are you taking advantage of PCIe 4, beyond what you can get on a B550 board? Seems you'd be better off getting a great B550 board and saving yourself $200 while not having to worry about the chipset fan.

I'd probably own a 3090 if stock were good. As it is, I figure I can wait a gen. CPU utilization is killing me, though.

B550: I think I didn't dive deep enough into this and was still thinking B450 with its lack of I/O options. It does look like it does anything I could want, including use a GPU and SSD at PCIE 4.0 if that's ever relevant. Hell, some of the features I was excited about, like mgig, the Asus B550-E is flat out better. Thanks, I'll switch it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandulu
Aug 25, 2008
Just started a new build, I was able to score a ryzen 5 3600x at a reasonable price and decided on microatx

Im trying to pick a good B550M MB and kind of looking at the asrock steel legend

I dont need wifi and id like bluetooth but neither are super important, what is the consensus on a good microatx b550?

I've heard good things about the gigabyte B550M DS3H, id like to be under $150 but if there is a fantastic board a little more than that, that's great too

Thanks