Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 25, 1943)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This is pretty rough for FC. Thel's expression really sells it, too.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Alley OopRae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Rae the Doe's web archives

Looking back on 2020

Brain Zap

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

SIR, WE HAVE THE COMIC STRIP SURROUNDED. PLEASE PUT DOWN THE PEN AND STEP AWAY FROM CURRENT EVENTS.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I really don't like the breasts on female mice in Overboard

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, Beric, you feel like a big man making little disabled kids cry?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 18, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 18, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 18, 1935)

Dark Laughter (October 7, 1939)

“Pluto’s got a racket. He acts bad so’s his Uncle Bootsie has to come to school to see our pretty teacher, then Bootsie gives Pluto a nickel after school.”

Mopsy Sunday (December 29, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (November 26, 1949)

“Golly … who did we eat for Thanksgiving? There’s some turkey squawkin’ outside for his Cloe, an’ he seems right determined to find her!”

Wee Pals (April 9, 1965)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

howe_sam posted:

Justice for the Wen-Tack Action Group.

Allison also links a PDF of the story for those who want it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is how you looked stuff up before smartphones.

Working Daze is a Thing now.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix can't live with itself.

Cul De Sac is me in every meeting I've ever been in.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A brief program note as we approach the end of this collection. Next up will be "Drawn And Quartered," which was, as far as I can tell, the first collection published of Charles Addam's New Yorker material, in 1942. There are a few war-themed panels; I had no idea.

Addams and Evil - 1947

Prescient. Or he had R.U.R stuck in his head.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Aw crap, I knew I was forgetting something. The quick and dirty version, then...

Sally Forth prepares us for another week of nervous laughter.

Pearls Before Last Minute Substitutions

Skippy (July 4, 1933)

Peanuts (January 21, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1937)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

i think this confirms that its not a diner but a diner themed sex club.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

"I've been microdosing your coffee with LSD DNA Treatments and it should be kicking in about now."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky WInkerbean

"Oh my God, please tell me it's not..."
"Mr. Winkerbean, I'm afraid you have Lisa's Disease of the eyes. Yes, my assistant is mildly amused by your suffering."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

At first I read this and went "What the hell is the joke?"

Then I realized that it said "flavor" in the last panel, and I went "What the hell is the joke?"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess Lottie's still peeved over the whole Wen-Tack road debacle.

Gotta say I don't understand this strip, I guess it because I don't know the british school system and the words make no sene to me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Everett True: due process is un-American

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
As a Brit I'm more annoyed by Lottie's use of the term "Sixth Form College". It's Sixth Form or College no teenager would use the entire title for it in conversation

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

At first I read this and went "What the hell is the joke?"

Then I realized that it said "flavor" in the last panel, and I went "What the hell is the joke?"

Old people mess words up sometimes because their minds are going! Hah!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everett True: the proto-Strasserite.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My Lovely Horse posted:

His entire being is war. This is a man who supports the Ku Klux Klan over anti-war protestors.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The rally-'round-the-flag effect in WWI was psychotic. Although there was a rather uncomfortable comic after one of Jack Johnson's big fights, so...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kavak posted:

The rally-'round-the-flag effect in WWI was psychotic. Although there was a rather uncomfortable comic after one of Jack Johnson's big fights, so...

Do you mean the one where he beats a black waiter and accuses him of being "uppity" because Jack Johnson won, or is there another one?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Do you mean the one where he beats a black waiter and accuses him of being "uppity" because Jack Johnson won, or is there another one?

That one exactly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (February 8-12, 1999)

The Year 2000 Problem, or Y2K Problem, or just Y2K, was a computer glitch that caused no end of problems in systems all over the world, eventually bringing about the end of civilisation as we know it. Not.

The short version is that, to save memory, early computer systems formatted dates using only two digits for the year: 95 for 1995, 96 for 1996, and so on. There was the possibility that, once 2000 rolled around, 00 would be interpreted as being 1900, be recognised as an invalid date, and cause catastrophic cascading system failures in electronics.

Of course, nothing much happened: computer scientists foresaw the problem, and worked to correct the glitch. In the end, the only problems that happened were minor and almost without consequence.

Y2K will be a big plot point in K&K.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mikl posted:

Of course, nothing much happened: computer scientists foresaw the problem, and worked to correct the glitch. In the end, the only problems that happened were minor and almost without consequence.

That's kinda underselling it. A bunch of folks busted their asses not only fixing the problem, but *finding* it in the first place. You got stuff like some bank with a 20 year-old server plodding away in a closet that everyone's forgotten is even used for anything because it's just done its job crunching numbers and "if it aint broke", or an Excel spreadsheet that used the year as part of a black magic workaround and then wound up twelve layers deep in some network of re-used sloppy code.

The big "planes falling out of the sky" doom stuff was never going to happen but a whole bunch of small scale (compared to planes falling out of the sky) bugs were quite likely and every system had to be evaluated independently because you never know what that poor code's been made to do and a blind fix could break three other things. And then the whole thing becomes a joke of overreaction with executives complaining "why did we pay so much for this if nothing happened?" I wasn't involved in that but I know some folks who were and one of them describes it as the biggest and most thankless job he's had to date.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/18/01

Brenda Starr 7/29/45

Smokey Stover 4/20-22/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus Story! Who needs pepper spray when you can carry a hatchet?

(Lena ended up spending nine years in an asylum before being released to plead guilty. She got a suspended sentence, announced that she was getting married and leaving New York, and dropped out of the news from then on.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 21, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 21, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 21, 1989)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You got to love the juxtaposition of Rudy condemning the cultists of The Wild for taking advantage of people panicking from the Y2K Bug, with Kell getting praised for doing the same thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And giving the same treatment.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Poil posted:

And giving the same treatment.

It's insightful, isn't it?

Bruceski posted:

That's kinda underselling it. A bunch of folks busted their asses not only fixing the problem, but *finding* it in the first place. You got stuff like some bank with a 20 year-old server plodding away in a closet that everyone's forgotten is even used for anything because it's just done its job crunching numbers and "if it aint broke", or an Excel spreadsheet that used the year as part of a black magic workaround and then wound up twelve layers deep in some network of re-used sloppy code.

The big "planes falling out of the sky" doom stuff was never going to happen but a whole bunch of small scale (compared to planes falling out of the sky) bugs were quite likely and every system had to be evaluated independently because you never know what that poor code's been made to do and a blind fix could break three other things. And then the whole thing becomes a joke of overreaction with executives complaining "why did we pay so much for this if nothing happened?" I wasn't involved in that but I know some folks who were and one of them describes it as the biggest and most thankless job he's had to date.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make light of it. I don't work in the field, but I'd heard about how big it was; I just wanted to summarise things briefly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mikl posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make light of it. I don't work in the field, but I'd heard about how big it was; I just wanted to summarise things briefly.

Fair enough. I just happened to get in an argument about it last night so that was mainly me decompressing. If I hadn't already been primed to read it as dismissive I don't think I would have.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Took me a minute to get this

The inspiration for Max and Mini

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks