Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Skelaboo posted:

:histdowns::"ThE cRuSaDeS wErE gOoD tHo"

Holy loving poo poo. I need to stop getting on Twitter.

The crusaders were essentially what QAnon people think rich liberals are. Waging war on (other) Christians, cannabalizing children, partially responsible for a mass of youths disappearing (probably into slavery), creating secret religious cults, following Charles Manson-esque neo-prophets, easily swayed by money, constantly looting, destroying or losing priceless Christian artefacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Considering how many Christian schools still use “Crusaders” as a sports team name I think Alfalfa’s opinion is uncomfortably orthodox

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC the Inquistion didn't even execute people for practicing witchcraft because the official position of the Church was that there was no such thing.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Skwirl posted:

This is literally a Simpsons joke. Homer invests in pumpkin futures and is surprised that the price falls off after halloween.
Yeah the fact that they say "ornamental gourds" rather than pumpkins really gives it away

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

christmas boots posted:

IIRC the Inquistion didn't even execute people for practicing witchcraft because the official position of the Church was that there was no such thing.

They didn't execute anyone. They handed them over to the monarchs for that business. But yeah, the Church didn't burn anyone for Witchcraft because of the idea that it didn't really work. That changed a lot when the protestants came in and suddenly witches became a popular bogeyman.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It was functionally a response to outside attempt to reform the church. So Lollards, Waldesians and so on tended to get hit more than anyone

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The crusades, where Christians failed almost every time to retake the holy land if they didnt decide to burn down Constantinople instead

Yeah thats what I, a Christian, look up to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

christmas boots posted:

The Inquisition means several different things and covers hundreds of years of history. Technically it still exists today. The Spanish Inquisition was kinda it's own thing and lasted from before Columbus took sail until the early 19th century.

Also there weren't any secret Jews in Spain. At one point in time, before the expulsion, a bunch of antisemites forced a bunch of Jews to convert at threat of violence or death, the Pope found out and said "yeah, that doesn't count if you don't want it to count." Most of the forced converts just went back to being Jewish and some of them said "well, my life will be a lot easier if I'm Catholic while I live in Spain" and actually converted. Then, much later, the Jews were expelled and people who wanted to steal their neighbors poo poo found out their neighbors great great grandfather had been Jewish and converted during that time, so they accused their neighbor of being a secret Jew even though the neighbor had been raised Catholic and considered themself Catholic. The menorahs being hidden in floorboards poo poo was made up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hihohe posted:

The crusades, where Christians failed almost every time to retake the holy land if they didnt decide to burn down Constantinople instead

Yeah thats what I, a Christian, look up to.

What’s funny is the religious fervor actually died down pretty quickly. Like there are a ton of stories of the established crusaders being insanely annoyed at the Dues Volt new recruits.

Turned out in the end being a powerful baron won out

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Considering how many Christian schools still use “Crusaders” as a sports team name I think Alfalfa’s opinion is uncomfortably orthodox

My high school was the Trojans.

Which mostly resulted in condom jokes, but you know, way to name your team after the losers of the Trojan war.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RoboRodent posted:

My high school was the Trojans.

Which mostly resulted in condom jokes, but you know, way to name your team after the losers of the Trojan war.

I've also never understood why they named the condoms Trojan either. The Trojans did the opposite of what a condom is supposed to do!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

sugar mouse posted:

This was predicted by some god awful post wasn't it?

I'm always torn on this kind of thing. On the one hand, I want to holler "Oooh, werk, bitch!" On the other hand, please don't do things like this in a drat grocery store..if only because your slave is blocking the aisles and is about to be accidentally run over by my shopping cart.

Both my middle and initial high school (same town in the South, mid-2000s) mascots were the "Red Raiders", which was, you guessed it, a Native American with headdress. In high school, our mascot(s) were a boy and a girl dressed in lovely cheap-looking "Indian" clothes, complete with facepaint, tomahawks, and feathers. I didn't think much of it at the time, but immediately after moving to California in 2008, I had a shitton of people go "UM, wow, that's really blatantly racist." I'm curious to know if my old schools still do this in 2021..I just looked, and it seems the name has stayed the same (but the mascot may have changed).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

Both my middle and initial high school (same town in the South, mid-2000s) mascots were the "Red Raiders", which was, you guessed it, a Native American with headdress. In high school, our mascot(s) were a boy and a girl dressed in lovely cheap-looking "Indian" clothes, complete with facepaint, tomahawks, and feathers. I didn't think much of it at the time, but immediately after moving to California in 2008, I had a shitton of people go "UM, wow, that's really blatantly racist." I'm curious to know if my old schools still do this in 2021..I just looked, and it seems the name has stayed the same (but the mascot may have changed).

Yeah, that's super loving racist. But The Washington Football Team only changed their name this year, so it's not surprising.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm always torn on this kind of thing. On the one hand, I want to holler "Oooh, werk, bitch!" On the other hand, please don't do things like this in a drat grocery store..if only because your slave is blocking the aisles and is about to be accidentally run over by my shopping cart.
it's pretty easy: have all the shoppers within the store consented to being involved in her kink?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think Alfalfa’s opinion is uncomfortably orthodox

Catholic.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Imagine entering Wal-Mart and the greeter stops you, giving you a form that just says "I acknowledge the slave play on the candy aisle" and telling you if you don't sign you can't enter.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Stunt_enby posted:

it's pretty easy: have all the shoppers within the store consented to being involved in her kink?

Make it even easier: pets aren't allowed in the store! If he's an emotional support sub then he needs a little vest.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I refuse to take advice from the child equivalent of a Three Stooge on whether the crusades were, in fact, "Good"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My high school's mascot was the Rebels. With a Confederate Flag motif. We were in an affluent suburb of Seattle.

Also Columbine happened in my senior year. A lot of schools were sending them things after the shooting, and we sent them a banner that said "Rebels Supporting Rebels". Turns out Columbine's mascot was also the Rebels, but of course no one outside of Columbine would know that, and no one else seemed to see any issue with the banner.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

It's obviously a sexual thing, so the golden rule of "all involved parties should be consenting adults" should be applied; the other shoppers did at no point consent to participating in their kink. It's a classic violation of boundaries and overall lovely behavior even if you personally are cool with it!

E: beaten :pervert:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Danaru posted:

I refuse to take advice from the child equivalent of a Three Stooge on whether the crusades were, in fact, "Good"
You might say the Crusades were a Holy Land of contrast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Make it even easier: pets aren't allowed in the store! If he's an emotional support sub then he needs a little vest.

Yeah, I loving hate it when people bring their dogs into stores when the dogs are actual dogs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Knormal posted:

Also Columbine happened in my senior year. A lot of schools were sending them things after the shooting, and we sent them a banner that said "Rebels Supporting Rebels". Turns out Columbine's mascot was also the Rebels, but of course no one outside of Columbine would know that, and no one else seemed to see any issue with the banner.

I would assume made worse because one of the shooters went by "Reb"...

Also, I give a big "of course" to everyone bringing up the "not everyone has consented to seeing this poo poo in public". I couldn't think of a way to word my "Eww, no" that wouldn't have a (hypothetical, hopefully) rear end in a top hat be like "OH, OKAY, SO YOU'RE OKAY WITH IT AS LONG AS IT'S BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, HUH? YOU SURE SOUND LIKE ONE OF THOSE HOMOPHOBES RIGHT NOW!!!" I'm not aware of that kind of poo poo in the BDSM community, but I do know that weirdo "MAPs" (aka pedos) and "zoophiles" like to claim they're an oppressed class like LGBT+ folks are.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

lol

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've also never understood why they named the condoms Trojan either. The Trojans did the opposite of what a condom is supposed to do!

Troy had an impenetrable wall which is why they had to resort to the trick with the horse to finally take the city. Still makes for a mixed metaphor though...

Also, I give a big "of course" to everyone bringing up the "not everyone has consented to seeing this poo poo in public". I couldn't think of a way to word my "Eww, no" that wouldn't have a (hypothetical, hopefully) rear end in a top hat be like "OH, OKAY, SO YOU'RE OKAY WITH IT AS LONG AS IT'S BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, HUH? YOU SURE SOUND LIKE ONE OF THOSE HOMOPHOBES RIGHT NOW!!!" I'm not aware of that kind of poo poo in the BDSM community, but I do know that weirdo "MAPs" (aka pedos) and "zoophiles" like to claim they're an oppressed class like LGBT+ folks are.

Oh there's definitely BDSM people who like to start whining about how they're an oppressed minority just like gay people the moment someone isn't cool with open displays of kink. It's a minority within the community, and they don't get a lot of traction, but they do exist. Honestly you'll get that with any group; the people who see social justice rhetoric only as it applies to what they want to do and say, and have no concept of trying to make a society that works for everyone.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

My high school (small city in the south, early-mid 2000s) was also Red Raiders, but the mascot was a piratey looking dude since at least when my brother went there in the mid-late 90s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

there wolf posted:

Troy had an impenetrable wall which is why they had to resort to the trick with the horse to finally take the city. Still makes for a mixed metaphor though...

Yes but in popular culture everyone only tends to remember that the Greeks got through that wall. An impenetrable wall that turned out to be, well, penetrable, not a good luck for a condom company.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The flipside here is that whatever homophobes grouse about is not sexual. Kissing, holding hands, telling people you're dating, etc etc. As soon as an act is not okay because the people participating are not cishet, rather than because of the act itself, you've got bigotry.

E:

Yes but in popular culture everyone only tends to remember that the Greeks got through that wall. An impenetrable wall that turned out to be, well, penetrable, not a good luck for a condom company.

I think what you meant to say here was "impregnable."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ColMorrisDavis/status/1351164251830935558

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Oh there's definitely BDSM people who like to start whining about how they're an oppressed minority just like gay people the moment someone isn't cool with open displays of kink. It's a minority within the community, and they don't get a lot of traction, but they do exist. Honestly you'll get that with any group; the people who see social justice rhetoric only as it applies to what they want to do and say, and have no concept of trying to make a society that works for everyone.

A long time ago there was a good GBS thread looking through the anecdotes in a study concerning BDSM discrimination. There was a fairly even mix running from people getting harassed or fired because someone at work found their BDSM related profile or heard rumors, people who were discrimated against because they apparently had to tell everyone in their life about it and were shocked that some people reacted poorly, and then the top-tier where a couple were shocked that CPS got involved after they tried to find a babysitter for their kids on a fetish site, because they might as well get someone who would also be a babysitter-themed partner in their new threesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lidnsya posted:

What would be an example of "good" treason? I'm not American.

Farting on pictures of kings is very good treason.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Well, to be fair, Troy was only penetrated due to a lack of full consent due to deception, soo.....

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

A long time ago there was a good GBS thread looking through the anecdotes in a study concerning BDSM discrimination. There was a fairly even mix running from people getting harassed or fired because someone at work found their BDSM related profile or heard rumors, people who were discrimated against because they apparently had to tell everyone in their life about it and were shocked that some people reacted poorly, and then the top-tier where a couple were shocked that CPS got involved after they tried to find a babysitter for their kids on a fetish site, because they might as well get someone who would also be a babysitter-themed partner in their new threesome.

Those two first groups are the same people, just one of them had the sense to not admit they cant shut up

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Okay, so

1. what
2. That url redirects to "Black Rifle Coffee Company"
3. "Black Rifle Coffee Company is a veteran-owned coffee company serving premium coffee to people who love America."

Conclusion: awful troll

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is the religious fervor actually died down pretty quickly. Like there are a ton of stories of the established crusaders being insanely annoyed at the Dues Volt new recruits.

Douches Volk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboRodent posted:

3. "Black Rifle Coffee Company is a veteran-owned coffee company serving premium coffee to people who love America."

BRCC is ridiculously fascism-supportive, even compared to their CHUD peers.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

RoboRodent posted:

Okay, so

1. what
2. That url redirects to "Black Rifle Coffee Company"

Conclusion: awful troll

Black Rifle Coffee Company is also known for sponsoring or being associated with Kyle Rittenhouse AND being a brand that one of the zip tie guys was wearing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RoboRodent posted:

Black Rifle Coffee Company is

The chuds that gave Kyle Rittenhouse bail money/sponsorship or something and were happy to celebrate his bail and dress him in their lovely clothes. They're gross as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What a spectacular case for the closing of Guantanamo.

EDIT: Not that Cawthorn is innocent but that they had so little evidence against detainees. prisoners.