Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember losing on purpose to N so I could go and grind by team from 45 to 55

Dumped all the Rare Candies I'd picked up during the journey into the title dragon to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm playing through gen 5 for the first time, recently beat Ghetsis in Black. I basically skipped 4 gens after playing 1 and 2 as a kid and then I played Sun back when it launched, and that's about my entire Pokemoning career. Very interesting to see the 'middle-point' between the two in many ways. I might have preferred it mechanically over gen 7 in many ways too.

The game was fun up until now, but I hate that the level curve has just been abandoned at this point. I went into the E4 first time, basically being on level with my opponents the entire way. By the time I beat Ghetsis I was being outleveled 6 - 8 levels, with my pokemon all being 46 - 48. Then immediately once he's gone it seems like the game has entered postgame mode and just every new trainer has level 60 - 65 pokemon no matter where they are. My highest level pokemon is still only 51. The flip side is despite the 10+ levels these pokemon are surprisingly pushovers for the most part, but it's really annoying anyway (especially when you run into the occasional actual threat that really makes use of those extra levels).

I don't usually play postgame in pokemon so this kind of stuff doesn't get a chance to bother me much, but between not fighting the champ and not exploring the entire right side of the map (not even mentioning the other plot stuff) this doesn't feel like a satisfying ending the way beating the E4 and wrapping up the main storyline usually does in the other games. This is doubly the case since I wanted to play B/W 2 next so I feel like I gotta finish up in the first game before I can move on.

I had no issue putting down Sun after completing the E4 for example even though there was more content available, because I felt everything was neatly wrapped up. Not a big fan of how this gen is doing it in comparison.

Yeah, there's a big jump from Ghetis onward, but the thing about the E4 in Gen V is that they're not the end game. The end of the game is actually beating them a second time and facing Alder.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, there's a big jump from Ghetis onward, but the thing about the E4 in Gen V is that they're not the end game. The end of the game is actually beating them a second time and facing Alder.

I kinda get that but if it's not the end of the normal game then there's no excuse for abandoning all attempts at curving levels either. Especially when the wonkiness starts around N/Ghetsis already. The Sage areas I've been to have had few to no trainers so they would not boost you much either, I dunno how they're expecting anyone to get to Black City/White Forest having gained a serious amount of levels.

It is better than a bunch of underleveled trainers I guess.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Beelzebozo posted:

Is there any TCG discussion here, or separate thread for that, or nobody cares about TCG?

I play the online game a bunch, don't think there's a thread

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think you can talk about the TCG here?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this thread is a blanket one for all things Pokémon (games, TCG, anime, manga, etc) so go right ahead.

Speaking of manga, is that still going/being translated? If so, have they made one for SwSh yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 19, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this thread is a blanket one for all things Pokémon (games, TCG, anime, manga, etc) so go right ahead.

Speaking of manga, is that still going/being translated? If so, have they made one for SwSh yet?

Adventures/Special is still active to my knowledge and a sword/shield arc has started but some of the older ones haven't been finished yet I think?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Beelzebozo posted:

Is there any TCG discussion here, or separate thread for that, or nobody cares about TCG?

If there was one it'd be in Trad Games, which it doesn't seem like there is. Folks certainly post about the anime here, I'd go hog wild.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Golux posted:

Adventures/Special is still active to my knowledge and a sword/shield arc has started but some of the older ones haven't been finished yet I think?

How much of it has been translated currently? And is it worth checking out?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't read most of the recent arcs but Adventures was generally solid Shonen stuff. Some arcs stand out as being pretty strong though but it can kinda vary.

I think there's translations up to SwSh but I remember the comic having this weird thing where the initial run in the magazines are pretty brief and the story can get fleshed out significantly or outright changed in the Volume releases. And the volumes are only up to BW2.

E: I guess I don't really know if that's still the case though and apparently the volumes are more up to date than I thought.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 19, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

How much of it has been translated currently? And is it worth checking out?

Looking at it, I think you can Read Via Certain Means everything up to the most recent volume release, aka Sword and Shield Volume 2 (which ends on Chapter 13). XY had a full thing, ORAS got a shorter (Web only?) run, BW2 finally ended last April, SM got a full run, and yeah, now it's SwSh. Official release is up to the final SM volume, which released last week.

Its been forever since I read this, so I guess I'm about to go back to BW. Got super interested again while researching thsi because I spoiled myself on a detail from Sun and Moon They made Moon be Dawn/Platinum's sibling??

e: up to chapter 472, only read 2 chapters tonight so far, but man, there sure is a lot of chapters of just an innocuous problem happening and Black having to put on Munna on his head to solve it. Can't wait for things to start popping.
e2: oh god it's only on the second gym after 20 chapters??

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 19, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Adventures is something I really enjoyed starting off and just kinda petered out over time since I think it's a combo of the creators having to invent a new fresh plot every game especially since games are doing their own plots now with more fleshed out characters. The Gym leaders were all really relevant and interesting the first few generations and then kinda just... flattened out over time.

Also Gold is the best, I will not accept arguments.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Adventures is something I really enjoyed starting off and just kinda petered out over time since I think it's a combo of the creators having to invent a new fresh plot every game especially since games are doing their own plots now with more fleshed out characters. The Gym leaders were all really relevant and interesting the first few generations and then kinda just... flattened out over time.

Also Gold is the best, I will not accept arguments.

Agreed on both accounts. This BW stuff just doesn't feel as fun or grand as the previous stuff, and the gym leaders in the game were so interesting. Gold is indeed the best... but the only thing better than Gold is Ruby and Sapphire's relationship.

So I put BW back down and started reading the ORAS chapters and Sapphire is training Ruby's Kirlia as well as her own new one so they can have a cute set of "brawn and brain" Gardervoirs and that's adorable.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I believe the general thought is that after the Platinum arc it becomes very meh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

I believe the general thought is that after the Platinum arc it becomes very meh.

yeah, looks like it. Reading ORAS and I'm not feeling it even when it's featuring some of my favorite characters. It's a shame.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Honestly when it comes to pokemon comics the fan content is a thousand times better in my opinion. More interesting plots and people not feeling the need to use established characters and coming up with their own, most of which are really neat.

That being said Pokemon Snap and Detective Pikachu are great at fleshing out the world by showing it through lens of a nature documentary or an actual detective case. We need more of these. For example; if they made a game like Fatal Frame but it was entirely ghost pokemon with a heartwarming twist I'd set my wallet on fire to get like three copies in advance.

Ghost pokemon are my absolute most precious babies though so I guess I'm being a tad self indulgent here...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Adventures uses established characters but it doesn't really follow the "canon" or anything. It mostly just does what it wants with characters often not really being much like their game counterparts at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The only joy i've found from the ORAS manga is Sapphire wanting to train pokemon specifically to be cute couple stuff and Rayquaza loving stabbing the Delta Episode girl through the gut and then blasting her into dust with a hyper beam.

shockingly gruesome for an official pokemon thing: https://i.imgur.com/z51AMuA.png

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Personally, Special lost me when the HGSS arc brought Pryce back to life and ended with Silver training with him. You did my boy dirty...

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

The only joy i've found from the ORAS manga is Sapphire wanting to train pokemon specifically to be cute couple stuff and Rayquaza loving stabbing the Delta Episode girl through the gut and then blasting her into dust with a hyper beam.

shockingly gruesome for an official pokemon thing: https://i.imgur.com/z51AMuA.png

....I take it the writer really didn't like her character...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MorningMoon posted:

Was she okay?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Flopsy posted:

....I take it the writer really didn't like her character...

RatHat posted:

Was she okay?

She doesn't get blasted into dust, just by all appearances rendered at least paraplegic, the next time she shows up is in a wheelchair.

Zinnia was, in general, not particularly well liked.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was actually joking so I’m surprised.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MorningMoon posted:

Everyone always talks about the stuff with Kanto E4 being the 'violent' part. But I have never heard about this before. :staredog:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Do not gently caress with Fug

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

She doesn't get blasted into dust, just by all appearances rendered at least paraplegic, the next time she shows up is in a wheelchair.

Zinnia was, in general, not particularly well liked.

Even more specifically she falls a few hundred feet down into the ocean face-first. Then someone picks her up and she's fine just needs anime medication of laying on a flat with a wet towel on her forehead. Might be stuck in that wheelchair or maybe not, I don't think the ending shots with her take place too long after the stabbing and the blasting and the falling.

I think this sick-nasty combo isn't as documented as the other instances of Adventures super violence because it's several years past the popularity of the manga, it's just hard to keep track with Adventures, specially when that page was made there was XY and SM going on it seems. (my understanding is that while Volumes are published at a relatively easy to follow pattern, the individual chapters are spread all over different magazines [and as SyntheticPolygon said, usually they're missing stuff or are completely different from the volume chapters], so the end of XY was going on concurrent to SM and ORAS was happening online at the same time) and it's more of a side-thing compared to XY and SM's stories.

Man, sucked spending the night realizing that I stopped following Adventures exactly when it went down in quality. But seeing that page was kinda worth it lmao.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Adventures manga is also saddled with having to follow all these Pokedex holders and constantly have to age them up but are unable to write them out completely. I'm not too familiar with it though. I mean fans give the anime hell for bitching about why Ash doesn't age but it at least avoids the issues Adventures has to face.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Even more specifically she falls a few hundred feet down into the ocean face-first. Then someone picks her up and she's fine just needs anime medication of laying on a flat with a wet towel on her forehead. Might be stuck in that wheelchair or maybe not, I don't think the ending shots with her take place too long after the stabbing and the blasting and the falling.

I think this sick-nasty combo isn't as documented as the other instances of Adventures super violence because it's several years past the popularity of the manga, it's just hard to keep track with Adventures, specially when that page was made there was XY and SM going on it seems. (my understanding is that while Volumes are published at a relatively easy to follow pattern, the individual chapters are spread all over different magazines [and as SyntheticPolygon said, usually they're missing stuff or are completely different from the volume chapters], so the end of XY was going on concurrent to SM and ORAS was happening online at the same time) and it's more of a side-thing compared to XY and SM's stories.

Man, sucked spending the night realizing that I stopped following Adventures exactly when it went down in quality. But seeing that page was kinda worth it lmao.

I dunno if I'm about to say something controversial as an adult pokemon player but uh--I kinda feel like that level of violence is really loving unnecessary in pokemon. It feels like they're trying for some edgier Shonen poo poo and I'm not about that life. Then again I cringed pretty hard during the Squirtle ripping into Charmander's flesh scene in Pokemon origins. That too felt uh...really not okay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I dunno if I'm about to say something controversial as an adult pokemon player but uh--I kinda feel like that level of violence is really loving unnecessary in pokemon. It feels like they're trying for some edgier Shonen poo poo and I'm not about that life. Then again I cringed pretty hard during the Squirtle ripping into Charmander's flesh scene in Pokemon origins. That too felt uh...really not okay.

Shonen manga are for children OP

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Zuzie posted:

The Adventures manga is also saddled with having to follow all these Pokedex holders and constantly have to age them up but are unable to write them out completely. I'm not too familiar with it though. I mean fans give the anime hell for bitching about why Ash doesn't age but it at least avoids the issues Adventures has to face.

Absolutely. In ORAS, Red and Blue (the girl) show up for an extended cameo since Giovanni was established to be connected to Deoxys like fifteen years ago. They looked almost exactly the same as last time, which disappointed me for a moment before I shrugged it off because there's like 2 dozen other characters who did get redesigns based on the games plus extra costumes, so to squeeze in a slightly older look for Red and Blue would be hard as hell. Another thing is that Adventures loves giving all playable characters a strong, character-defining gimmick. They ran out of the ones that make sense literally eleven years ago and they gotta keep pumping out ones. The continuity is absolutely overwhelming this manga both in how it does cameos and how new characters are made

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know, I wasn't expecting to spend today looking up the current events of Adventures but oh well. I'm kinda not surprised that apparently the comic's quality has dropped since BW because seemingly from like 2015-2020 the writer was doing at least 3 different arcs in different magazines all based on separate games, which definitely sounds like a way to sabotage your writing.

Though I think just SwSh is ongoing right now, which is hopefully giving the writer a bit of a break.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shonen manga are for children OP

Is there a word for what Berserk is? And if that's for children uh holy poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Berserk definitely ain't Shonen.

But Adventures pretty much fits the definition. It's probably less violent than like One Piece and all that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Seinen is for older boys, Josei is for older girls.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Y'know, I wasn't expecting to spend today looking up the current events of Adventures but oh well. I'm kinda not surprised that apparently the comic's quality has dropped since BW because seemingly from like 2015-2020 the writer was doing at least 3 different arcs in different magazines all based on separate games, which definitely sounds like a way to sabotage your writing.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of. Good if it's been cut back so they can actually focus.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Golux posted:

Seinen is for older boys, Josei is for older girls.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of. Good if it's been cut back so they can actually focus.

Well to be more accurate then the scene feels like something from a Seinen as opposed to the shonen it's supposed to be. But then again wasn't Norman like a physically abusive lunatic in Adventures or am I remembering that wrong?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shonen can get drat graphic, look at Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which was arguably more gorey when it was running as a shonen series.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Shonen can get drat graphic, look at Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which was arguably more gorey when it was running as a shonen series.

Well I do know a major component of shonen is people beating the poo poo out of each other for chapters on end, getting up looking like warmed over poo poo then doing it all over again. So it's not so much the violence just...how out of place it feels with original source material I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Adventures kinda peaked with the Emerald arc? The Frontier challenge was good and inventive and it was honestly a nice closure to the ten protagonists up to that point. I didn't hate DPPt but the manzai routine felt a bit forced and it was definitely weird changing the established character of Barry to Pearl.

I still think the Gym Leaders tournament felt like the best part because it was refreshing seeing all the different tactics involved (except that second match was a two page wash and they had Falkner win his match for a pretty dumb reason).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Adventures kinda peaked with the Emerald arc? The Frontier challenge was good and inventive and it was honestly a nice closure to the ten protagonists up to that point. I didn't hate DPPt but the manzai routine felt a bit forced and it was definitely weird changing the established character of Barry to Pearl.

I still think the Gym Leaders tournament felt like the best part because it was refreshing seeing all the different tactics involved (except that second match was a two page wash and they had Falkner win his match for a pretty dumb reason).

As much as I hated Emerald as a character, the arc was fun but the problem was that it did really feel like the ultimate crossover episode to which everything was building up and the series lost a lof of steam since then. Even though the Diamond/Sapphire run was a good change of pace, dynamic and full of great ideas, they did start to lose me around the time HGSS happened. Also didn't help that thats when my translation was starting to lose both image and text quality, so I just stopped.

Black's Munna gimmick was silly as hell tho.

Also shonen manga can be violent as gently caress, anime usually gets censored, but blood from the mouth and "gaping hole through body" are pretty standard for the main players on the market, Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece all are quite bloody in their original manga form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fist of the North Star had exploding heads and was pretty drat violent and it was more-or-less the origin point for modern battle manga.