Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
"you know what'd be great? an expensive device to make babyshit sausages."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the only other piece of parenting wisdom I'm sure of is:

big post-pregnancy boobs that dad can't touch because they hurt and mom is tired are proof that God exists and that He's a real jerk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

that is not a safe sleeping arrangement for an infant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

someone talking about there not being that much to parenting because a friend that's a parent was super active in a group text might just mean more that they're kind of riding high on the old "second shift" horse

also relating to my wife's coworkers experiences of needing familiar/professional childcare support regularly because their spouses/partners can't really be bothered for providing more than like a couple hours of gap coverage -- dad's there for the fun times not for everything else

aah yep. those dads are lame. at least dads of yore were absent because they were earning coin not playing video games. some mum’s are like that too it’s just less common and much more acceptable.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
just spent some quality time with the boys, reading the hobbit to them instead of screen time or w/e. they even listened a little bit!

oldest was inspired to draw a troll. :3:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that's one way of rationalizing a portrait of you!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

motherfucker i knew this was gonna happen!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
serves you right for showing pride in your kid

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rotor posted:

"you know what'd be great? an expensive device to make babyshit sausages."

lol i found it really useful. so much poo
of course we bought cheap rolls of plastic off ebay instead of the official product

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

having kids just seems awful both in the day to day and also in the aggregate

When talking to people without kids I always think of lovecraftian protagonists, unable to put to words what they saw beyond the veil.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
c/p from bubble

rotor posted:

the first few months are easy, then it really ramps up until 6-8 years old then it gets progressively easier until the hard part is writing the checks for college tuition.

rotor posted:

a baby is like a full time job in addition to the one you already have. A teen is just a lovely roommate.

i've got a boy and a girl (8 and 5), tell me about care and conservation of teenagers so i can prepare myself, plx.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk mine are fine and dont cause me significant trouble. My biggest hassles are getting the boy to not keep moldy food in his room and getting my girl to not leave her craft supplies like needles and xacto knives laying on the ground.

like at some point you're not really raising them any more, you're there to catch them when they gently caress up their first attempts at being an adult, and if you've done a good job at raising them hopefully their first attempts will not be too egregious? But you never really know.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no matter how much you want to save your kids and have them learn from your mistakes, it really seems like they’re desperate to make their own mistakes

hopefully just not involving fast motor vehicles or naughty drugs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and also not forming babby too early

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

or too late...

i really should’ve known grandparenting would have a strong undertone of “MWAHAHA YOUR TURN NOW”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 19, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

no matter how much you want to save your kids and have them learn from your mistakes, it really seems like they’re desperate to make their own mistakes

some more than others. My girl sometimes learns from the mistakes of others, the boy 100% does not.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

President Beep posted:

so when i was, idk, say like 23? an old gf with whomst i was still friends called me up to tell me she was pregnant. I said all the congratulations and stuff and hung up and was like "wow she is really making a big mistake" but like here I am and her kids are already out of college so who really in that situation was loving up? I am not sure.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

so when i was, idk, say like 23? an old gf with whomst i was still friends called me up to tell me she was pregnant. I said all the congratulations and stuff and hung up and was like "wow she is really making a big mistake" but like here I am and her kids are already out of college so who really in that situation was loving up? I am not sure.

drat, good question...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

23 is one thing. guess I’m thinking more like 17 or something.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Did you do anything meaningful with your 20's or could you just sort of replace them with childrearing and not miss anything?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

I ask as someone clearly in the latter category.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i had no business raising kids in my 20s, so i guess it can be said i spent that decade trying to straighten myself out.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

TimWinter posted:

Did you do anything meaningful with your 20's or could you just sort of replace them with childrearing and not miss anything?

please do not do me like this

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what the gently caress is a diaper genie I ain’t even gonna google that poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

he will appear and change three diapers of your choosing

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just chuck them over the fence like I did problem solved

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

just chuck them over the fence like I did problem solved

an expensive but legal thrill!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

he will appear and change three diapers of your choosing

the blackface and turban with a big jewel in it is really offputting tho

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what the gently caress is a diaper genie I ain’t even gonna google that poo poo

if you get a diaper get full enough, you can rub it and a cursed being will come out

it will offer you three wishes if you can get past the smell

monkey paw twist: every wish will be spent trying to make the diaper disappear

that or it's an overpriced-but-effective odorproof garbage can that takes proprietary bag cartridges

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
We actually ended up buying reusable cloth nappies.

We still need to use disposables over night as we couldn't find any cloth ones that didn't either leak or hurt him.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CyberPingu posted:

We actually ended up buying reusable cloth nappies.

We still need to use disposables over night as we couldn't find any cloth ones that didn't either leak or hurt him.

did y'all also do a diaper service where they come and swap them out on your doorstep? i'm told that's a popular pairing

then again i also have heard that from people who suggest getting a night nurse for that first month or three

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did y'all also do a diaper service where they come and swap them out on your doorstep? i'm told that's a popular pairing

then again i also have heard that from people who suggest getting a night nurse for that first month or three

That doesn't exist in the UK afaik, we just washed them ourselves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well the diaper service, at least here in freedomland, is typically aimed at people who rent and don't have in-unit washing machines. it's like a weekly thing, they drop off fresh ones and you bag up the dirties for them. can actually make sense compared to disposables in that situation, particularly for the time/labor savings - not expensive at all after the initial commitment from what i understand

definitely not exclusively a rich person thing. otoh a night nurse is someone who isn't strictly a live-in nanny, just someone who comes in and takes over whenever you need to sleep. that poo poo's like $400/night lol, lotta hoverwife's coworkers recommended it for those first two weeks but that's solidly a rich person thing

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well the diaper service, at least here in freedomland, is typically aimed at people who rent and don't have in-unit washing machines. it's like a weekly thing, they drop off fresh ones and you bag up the dirties for them. can actually make sense compared to disposables in that situation, particularly for the time/labor savings - not expensive at all after the initial commitment from what i understand

definitely not exclusively a rich person thing. otoh a night nurse is someone who isn't strictly a live-in nanny, just someone who comes in and takes over whenever you need to sleep. that poo poo's like $400/night lol, lotta hoverwife's coworkers recommended it for those first two weeks but that's solidly a rich person thing

Lol yeah that's not a thing here. We have a bucket for nappies and a bucket for wipes, you soak the wipes in water and tea tree oil after using them, then stick them in the wash with the nappies, detergent and special detergent for the nappies. Then hang them to dry.

Like, the obvious environmental benefits are a plus but having to wash nappies every 2nd day is a bit cumbersome

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 19, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
definitely be careful with tea tree oil, newborns have p sensitive skin and that stuff is tough on them

like even if you're all minimalist about baths and whatnot you've still gotta be real careful if you don't wanna induce eczema and other allergic reactions, they have weirdly sensitive skin for that first year. daily lotion is the standard really - it's funny, we started referring to it as "buttering the baby" and apparently that's a super common term haha

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

definitely be careful with tea tree oil, newborns have p sensitive skin and that stuff is tough on them

like even if you're all minimalist about baths and whatnot you've still gotta be real careful if you don't wanna induce eczema and other allergic reactions, they have weirdly sensitive skin for that first year. daily lotion is the standard really - it's funny, we started referring to it as "buttering the baby" and apparently that's a super common term haha

The tea tree oil gets washed off when the wipes get washed.

We don't use it in baths, it's explicitly for soaking used wipes.

He's had eczema from birth but it comes and goes, we have bee oil we put in his bath and Dream Cream from Lush to counteract it when it gets bad.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
just greasing that babby up like it's a big ball of dough slapping between my hands

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just greasing that babby up like it's a big ball of dough slapping between my hands

Then trying to catch them as they slide around the house. Slipping out of grasp like a greased up pig.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TimWinter posted:

This is not why most people shouldn't have kids in their 20s tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

CyberPingu posted:

That doesn't exist in the UK afaik, we just washed them ourselves

It does but the coverage is quite low even in London and gently caress storing a load of poopy cloth and then putting it in the washing machine. we got some 100% bamboo nappies which are quite good and assuage some of the guilt about the rubbish produced.