Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this will be a difficult angle to work but it's worth a shot: reach out to those other departments to see if they want to take you on. worst they can say is no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

and i was just typing up that it sounded like the place was toxic. i've had to deal with those types as a consultant every now and then and yeah it's a colossal pain in the rear end that i usually had to bring in the big guns to handle. without that kind of backup it definitely isn't happening.

i know it sucks right now but this is one of those blessings in disguise. the worst option would have been them continuing to harass and stymie while not actually firing you.

time to find a place that will actually appreciate your work

I'm pushing back really hard on this because I'm not willing to accept being fired right now and as a disabled person I still have loving rights

I didn't do anything wrong and I can't force other people to like me

It's not a place I want to work but what the gently caress else am I supposed to do? God, I feel like such a loving idiot. I even updated my linkedin.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

best I can come up with is goondolences and gently caress boomers forever

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think I need to start having tougher standards about who I work for going forward and that means asking better questions and suffering more gracefully

Very frustrating

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

sorry for your loss fellow goon

i don't know if that helps but consider it a bullet dodged. a company that cannot manage mobbing and jealous boomers is not a company you want to work for

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if the company has an hr department, reach out to them and mention "hostile work environment". especially if manager magoo just up and told you you're fired without going through hr to begin with. (keep copies of all the communications you have, ofc)

normally you want to stay away from hr because their number one priority is protecting the company and giving a poo poo about you is like, item one million - but once you've got nothing else to lose, you can take a punt on weaponizing them in your favour. putting the company on the line for your dipshit ex-coworkers is probably equally far down their list. unless the hr boomers are personal friends with the dipshit boomers giving you problems, in which case it might be a lost cause.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Jabor posted:

if the company has an hr department, reach out to them and mention "hostile work environment". especially if manager magoo just up and told you you're fired without going through hr to begin with. (keep copies of all the communications you have, ofc)

normally you want to stay away from hr because their number one priority is protecting the company and giving a poo poo about you is like, item one million - but once you've got nothing else to lose, you can take a punt on weaponizing them in your favour. putting the company on the line for your dipshit ex-coworkers is probably equally far down their list. unless the hr boomers are personal friends with the dipshit boomers giving you problems, in which case it might be a lost cause.

that's not how "hostile work environments" work. it is 100% legal for a workplace to be a nasty place where your coworkers try to get you fired. the law only covers hostility due to discrimination around protected classes: race, religion, sex, age (but only for old people, it's legal to be a jerk to somebody because they're under 40), disability, DNA markers, and if you're in a cool state maybe a few more like orientation and gender identity

more here: https://www.askamanager.org/2015/01/hostile-workplace-its-not-what-you-think.html

the management and coworkers sound like a bunch of toxic jerks but they can brush everything under the rug with "bad culture fit" and "didn't mesh with the team during the probationary period." if the manager's boss is unusually good, they might eventually start asking questions about why every new hire turns out to be a bad culture fit and needs to be fired, but this is not a fight you can personally win. consider the bullet dodged and move on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
op already mentioned having a relevant disability earlier in the discussion - if it's credibly related to his coworkers giving him poo poo, then it qualifies enough to get an hr person ruffled.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
but yeah, there's a reason i'm suggesting making noise at hr rather than hiring a lawyer and throwing down over it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I am working through a recruiting agency, and fwiw they seem to be on my side? They've gone back to the company on my behalf(?) Could just be circling the wagons, we'll see. I don't intend to let this situation get out of control, I know there's a point where pushing this is just gonna be bad for me, and I have no intention to make things harder for myself here. I'm not threatening anybody with anything and don't intend to die on this hill.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 23, 2020

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mirthless posted:

I am working through a recruiting agency, and fwiw they seem to be on my side? They've gone back to the company on my behalf(?) Could just be circling the wagons, we'll see. I don't intend to let this situation get out of control, I know there's a point where pushing this is just gonna be bad for me, and I have no intention to make things harder for myself here. I'm not threatening anybody with anything and don't intend to die on this hill.

recruiters are not your friends, they're salesmen who get paid when you land the job they're pushing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

recruiters are not your friends, they're salesmen who get paid when you land the job they're pushing.

While true, good recruiters are interested in making sure the people they provide are good matches to the companies. If there are issues on either side, they should want to know why.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mirthless posted:

The recruiter doesn't get paid until you're at the job for X months, where X is greater than the 1 or whatever you survived. They're out to lose their entire commission if you get fired this quickly, so they have a direct financial investment in stopping it.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

most recruiters i've interacted with are bad and just shotgun your resume out to everything they can find

some are decent and try to get a real mutual match and can give you more details about the company than you would have by yourself. these ones are much more rare, though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Flaming June posted:

most recruiters i've interacted with are bad and just shotgun your resume out to everything they can find

some are decent and try to get a real mutual match and can give you more details about the company than you would have by yourself. these ones are much more rare, though
i've never had a good recruiter experience

but most companies in belfast are american or london-based trying to get a remote office going, so it's hard to find work outside of recruiters, unless you're super good at keeping in touch with former coworkers

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jesus WEP posted:

this might as well be the thread title forever

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jesus WEP posted:

they’re like one in a hundred.

resume shotgunners aren’t exactly “bad,” though, you just have to manage your expectations. they’re automated job application filling out machines and nothing more, but embracing them as such saves you some effort.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
yeah I can't imagine even the worst recruiters being worse than job hunting in any other industry

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

i've had two. one was a lady when I was looking in NYC for jobs right out of college. she helped me get one at Time doing sysadmin work but I ended up getting accepted into a grad program and did that instead. this was circa 2006 or 2007, idk if recruiters like her exist any more tbh, she found my resume on monster dot com (or one of those types of things) and coached me through the whole process, had a fairly long relationship with the hiring manager, all that stuff. she ruled and for the longest time i thought all recruiters were badass professionals like her.

the second one was getting oldjob; a buddy had used him before and i knew the company i wanted to work at used him as an external recruiter. so i called (or emailed probably, i dont remember) and then i got the job. it was nice telling him "i want another ten grand but tbh i'll say yes if they won't budge" and then he went and got me the ten grand i wanted instead of me having to pretend that i'd walk if they said no or whatever.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the one time i tried a recruiter he told me the salary and when i was asked in the interview what my salary expectations were I said that number and they looked like i had asked for their firstborn and a house made from solid gold and the interview was very quickly over. bizarre experience.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

my stepdads beer posted:

the one time i tried a recruiter he told me the salary and when i was asked in the interview what my salary expectations were I said that number and they looked like i had asked for their firstborn and a house made from solid gold and the interview was very quickly over. bizarre experience.

I've actually had this happen to me before too and it was because the recruiter got job descriptions mixed up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you will understand recruiterland if you understand that turnover can exceed 200% in some places

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i got a new job in my same weird specific field :toot:

gonna take a crack at full-time remote (which i've been basically doing anyway for the past 8 months). new company has a bunch of remote folks and good support for them so i think it'll be just fine.

job hunting sucks insanely though lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thread worth reading

some funny, some good advice

https://twitter.com/quinnypig/status/1344440915033616384?s=21

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol he didn't like my story

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1344484028959739905

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i really hope i get this job

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've been looking at jobs in embedded in the UK and most I'm seeing right now require DV (basically the same thing as top security clearance) which obviously isn't possible for a foreign national that I am - you can't even have so much as "foreign ties".

Anyways I've come across one that didn't mention it so I start reading all excited and in the bottom blurb:

quote:

Our Company creates some of the world's most cutting-edge software products for Missile sub-systems

LMBO yeah okay

not particularly interesting but it made me chuckle

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 18, 2021

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

on the plus side you get to not work on death machines

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Progressive JPEG posted:

on the plus side you get to not work on death machines

:yeah:

It must be weird seeing a Yemeni wedding or water treatment plant being blown to bits by the Saudis and go "did I enable this?".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Am I weird for thinking that doing these 6 questions in 60 minutes (handwritten at that) is a bit much? Mainly 2), but the whole thing is full of gotchas and trivia.

And yes some are relatively trivial (1, 3, 6), it's the other 3 I'm struggling with.

*I'll put these back once I'm done interviewing with this company*

tell me how terrible I am goons

because I don't think I'm getting this job

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 19, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
2) is one of those stupid gotcha questions that is trivial if you've seen the trick before (and having seen it before has no bearing on your ability to actually problem-solve or be productive in the workplace or anything like that)

do it in two passes - first reverse the entire string in-place, then reverse each individual word in-place

if it involves working with the sort of people who pick that sort of question as part of their hiring process, i'm gonna say it's probably no big loss to not get the job

4) is kinda mathy i guess, but honestly if you think 3) is straightforward i'd expect it to be pretty much the same

5) is entirely about how well you understand minutae of your chosen programming language, either you've done a bunch of work with threads and know what the requirements are or you don't.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

And given that you have at most 10 minutes for each question, realistically less because using the full 60 minutes wouldn't look good either, they are testing whether you have encountered these toy problems before and have solutions memorized. The people who chose these questions are the people you would be working with.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jabor posted:

2) is one of those stupid gotcha questions that is trivial if you've seen the trick before (and having seen it before has no bearing on your ability to actually problem-solve or be productive in the workplace or anything like that)

do it in two passes - first reverse the entire string in-place, then reverse each individual word in-place

if it involves working with the sort of people who pick that sort of question as part of their hiring process, i'm gonna say it's probably no big loss to not get the job

4) is kinda mathy i guess, but honestly if you think 3) is straightforward i'd expect it to be pretty much the same

5) is entirely about how well you understand minutae of your chosen programming language, either you've done a bunch of work with threads and know what the requirements are or you don't.

I've done 2 exactly as you said, but it took a bit to figure out and I really wasn't sure if it's the right way to do it.

As for 5) it's ugh, I've worked with threads before but I'm really not sure I can do a non-static thread-safe singleton that quickly without making a mistake.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm gonna say that their ideal candidate has a compsci education from the same school that whoever's writing the interview went to, where they'll have encountered these exact questions in their coursework.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jabor posted:

=

3 is straightforward if you get to use compiler intrinsics (popcnt)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jabor posted:

3 is another one of those problems where you either know the one-line trick or you don't, because you probably aren't going to figure it out in 10 minutes if you have no clue (x && !(x & (x-1)) or popcnt)

4 doesn't really involve a trick for the simple solution, but if you've never done it before 10 minutes is a stretch

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 19, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

oh yeah, that's pretty clever. i struggled to come up with the answer, but the best i could do was with a lot of looping (rotate the string one character at a time until the last symbol is a space, then recurse on the remainder of the string, e.g. "test a string", "gtest a strin", "ngtest a stri" ... "stringtest a ", recurse), but it is real certainly a mess of a thing to write out in 10 minutes (e.g. need two base cases, for no spaces and a for a single trailing space).

it would also take me roughly forever to solve 3.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

sorry about editing it out I'm still waiting to hear back with my rejection, and, well, even though it didn't go stellar, seeing as other people say they'd struggle too I'll wait until I hear back before I repost it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

might be worth pointing out that sending candidates a strict 60 minute quiz to judge them against is, on its surface, kinda bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I think these were originally whiteboarding questions before covid, but yeah they were pretty tough to do in short span of time

I did take a bit longer but given that they wanted me to handwrite it, take photos of it, compress them and upload them online it's hopefully not that strict on the time. I did have a call right before and they confirmed the time, so it wasn't straight out of the blue, but at the same time I only got told on the day about it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 20, 2021