Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

So I'm about two weeks into Ring Fit, and I'm already noticing an improvement! (I'm extremely out-of-shape, but not overweight...yet.) I'm already noticing that I feel more flexible, and I can now take the stairs without immediately feeling tired. Having sore muscles now feels GOOD instead of being painful and annoying. Every few days or so, I switch it up with thirty minutes on a stationary bike.

I do have a bit of an embarrassing question, though. It might be more of a medical question, but I kinda wanted to ask around before I bother my doctor with it (or go Googling and scare myself with "IT'S DEFINITELY A DEADLY ILLNESS"). After a few minutes in to Ring Fit, I start feeling really gag-y and I start retching a bit. I'm mostly able to work through it, but it scares my partner and makes him think I'm going to spray vomit everywhere mid-squat. :P

Is this due to me being a lazy goon, or am I perhaps doing something wrong? I've never been diagnosed with asthma, in case that matters. I've had some friends with asthma describe it as "your throat closing up", but what happens to me isn't lack of breath, I just start gagging/retching and feel bile rise up. The only other thing I can think of is that I smoke a ton of weed, but so does my partner, and it doesn't happen to him. Anyone else experience this, or should I just go ahead and message my doctor just to be safe?

Caveat that I'm not a doctor, but I think this is somewhat common. I get this too, especially if I had just eaten a meal not too long before. Does it depend on the exercise you're doing? For me, if I'm already getting worked up and then do the bending over exercises, or getting flat on the floor or back up, I'll sometimes get that nausea/acid reflux stuff. It hasn't happened to me as much lately, I don't know if it's because I'm more used to Ring Fit or because I made sure I don't do it after a meal.

Maybe we both have the same deadly disease, idk. I will say that you shouldn't feel bad, I've been somewhat consistent with a weightlifting routine for years pre-covid but always neglected cardio, and this problem flared up for me when I started Ring Fit because it's a much more sustained and varied cardio routine than I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
feeling sick as a dog when you start doing cardio after a long absence is inevitable. especially if you smoke. i recommend sticking with it and also doing 20 minutes of deep breathing lung exercises after you've been smoking, it really helps.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd consider myself fit enough, I run 12 km+ when I run and I bike 20 km daily to and from work, but I will throw up if I work out 2 hours after eating, I usually have to wait 3 hours, preferably 4. This is why I tend to work out first thing in the morning before breakfast, but that's just me.

I had my joy-cons drift once. I fixed it with contact cleaner, and ever since I don't use the joy-stick if I can help it. It's why I ask so often for d-pad accessible games. When I need the stick, I'll play table-top or docked and break out the pro-controller. If that gets drift I'll be very disappointed.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i checked and the deluxe starlink gives you the first batch of ships and guns and poo poo, there was a second batch released later which you can get in a bundle that is currently on sale for like $15 or something. then there is also a pack of star fox pilots which is not on sale

They know what people want to buy. The Star Fox DLC is fun though.

Get the Deluxe, you get a couple of neat guns. It's really only worth it when on sale. The other ships really don't matter.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So if I buy a Switch Lite today I also have to do my own repairs on the problem Nintendo is aware of?

Jesus Christ.

alr
May 14, 2009

American McGay posted:

I used to always post about my launch day joy-cons being fine until one day they weren't and now they drift like a bitch and it's super annoying.

Yeah I honestly thought it was overblown as well since it always went away with contact cleaner. Then it was constantly going off. When I replaced the sticks on mine recently, I took apart the old stick to have a look at it. It's a weird setup where there are metal contacts on the bottom of the stick structure, and they rub on a black material that's probably conductive and determines the stick position. It's softer than the metal, and you can see the patch in the middle of the material that wears away from the metal scraping against it. I thought it was going to be just casually going off center, but what was happening was the occasional spike where I guess that worn material caused a false reading that was like pushing the stick halfway to the edge instantly. The replacements are built the same so it'll happen again in time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I tried replacing my joy-con sticks because I'm usually good at fiddly stuff like that but I borked them both :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

so are mine but i also bought a pro controller day 1 and I don't think the Switch has left the dock

Yeah :yossame: I've played handheld for <1% of my switch's life and I'm sure my joycons would be borked long ago if I didn't have the pro

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Bloop posted:

Yeah :yossame: I've played handheld for <1% of my switch's life and I'm sure my joycons would be borked long ago if I didn't have the pro

owning a switch and not owning a pro controller should be against the law

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Owning a Switch and not playing it handheld should be against the law.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

American McGay posted:

I hope not otherwise I'm done for life

Tell a lie - i watch YouTube in bed on switch but that's not technically playing - checkmate

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I play handheld 90% of the time, and I've always used a PS4 controller via the little bluetooth brick, but I've never loved it. Something about it just feels more floaty than the stock controllers. I don't know if it's the deeper throw on the triggers that just don't match the joycon inputs, or if my brain is used to little sticks. Or maybe there's actually input delay and the thing has just never properly worked.

0/10, would not recommend using PS4 controller on the Switch.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Shammypants posted:

This is actually an entirely appropriate response. The construction of the joycons and pro controller is awful. They are toys rather than tech and Nintendo should be ashamed.

On the other hand, my Joycons got The Drift and had to be replaced once, in the same span of time that three Xbox One controllers broke (and one PS4). Just because the other companies' stuff looks/feels sturdier, does not mean that it is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

John Lee posted:

On the other hand, my Joycons got The Drift and had to be replaced once, in the same span of time that three Xbox One controllers broke (and one PS4). Just because the other companies' stuff looks/feels sturdier, does not mean that it is.

In fairness, preschoolers make gingerbread houses that are more well-constructed than the base Xbox One controller.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i agree. arrest all nintendo execs for not bundling it with the console.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The pro controller doesn’t even have a headphone jack. loving idiots

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

nachos posted:

Why would it need one when you can just follow these simple and normal directions

Poque fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 19, 2021

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

alr posted:

The replacements are built the same so it'll happen again in time.

This was going to be my question.

Is it not possible to replace the sticks with analog units that don't have the same flaw as the OEM ones?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Poque posted:

Why would it need one when you can just follow these simple and normal directions

Looking at this is there any reason not just to use Discord? Because it seems like it's just Discord with extra steps

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

multijoe posted:

Looking at this is there any reason not just to use Discord? Because it seems like it's just Discord with extra steps

There is absolutely no reason to not use Discord haha

Nintendo online and voice continues to be like 20 years behind even the barest minimum standards of this millennium.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

nachos posted:

why would it, if your using a pro your playing it on a tv, who needs headphones with a tv?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

why would it, if your using a pro your playing it on a tv, who needs headphones with a tv?

kid havers

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m a spouse haver and a kid haver, you wouldn’t believe my gamer needs

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

TheScott2K posted:

kid havers

make the drat kids wear the headphones as they watch fornight on their ipads

alr
May 14, 2009

Umbra Dubium posted:

This was going to be my question.

Is it not possible to replace the sticks with analog units that don't have the same flaw as the OEM ones?

In the original form factor, probably not. I spend a bit of time looking online before I bought my replacements. The base of the stick where all the measurements take place is only around 5mm high, and it probably isn't possible to get a normal setup in such a small space. Third party joycons might use a thicker overall shell with more space for a more conventional stick design, but some of those lack gyro or rumble which you might want.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the ds4 having a headphone port was a revelation, now I hate all consoles that don't offer it

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Shammypants posted:

This is actually an entirely appropriate response. The construction of the joycons and pro controller is awful. They are toys rather than tech and Nintendo should be ashamed.

It's wild to me just how far Nintendo has fallen in this respect, since they used to have some of the best and most durable first-party hardware out there, and now their stuff is categorically worse than controllers made by third-party manufacturers like 8BitDo that cost a fraction as much. The JoyCon thing is beyond the point of parody and getting into cartoonishly malicious territory; it reminds me of Ford refusing to put a $1 piece of plastic in the Pinto to keep it from exploding when it was gently bumped from behind, except, you know, with fewer gruesome deaths.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

lunar detritus posted:

the ds4 having a headphone port was a revelation, now I hate all consoles that don't offer it

My freaking roku remote has a headphone jack. It can't be that difficult.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wanted to buy ring fit today so I called the store to ask if they had it in stock. They said yeah so I drove over. Apparently they arrive tomorrow -_-

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Huh. I have a projector and not a tv, and my setup is such that the couch I sit on is placed next to the Switch dock. So I just plug my headphones into the console itself and have a blast. It's good when my partner's sleeping and I feel like staying up late.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Huh. I have a projector and not a tv, and my setup is such that the couch I sit on is placed next to the Switch dock. So I just plug my headphones into the console itself and have a blast. It's good when my partner's sleeping and I feel like staying up late.

rich enough to own a projector but still using wired headphones,

s m d h

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Poque posted:

There is absolutely no reason to not use Discord haha

Nintendo online and voice continues to be like 20 years behind even the barest minimum standards of this millennium.

I wish Nintendo would catch up and *checks on what Sony's doing* record all voice chat from users.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

Lock me up and throw away the key then, cuz I’m also in the “docked 99% of the time” club

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Don't all analog sticks go bad eventually?

I realize that the sticks on Joycons have a hilariously lower MTBF compared to say, the ones on the Pro Controller, but isn't this the same reason why people are desperate to find legit DS3 controllers and such? I just assume that the smaller size/lower profile nature of Joycon sticks means they go bad faster. Maybe unacceptably faster, although I don't know if there's any others of comparable size that are better.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Takoluka posted:

I wish Nintendo would catch up and *checks on what Sony's doing* record all voice chat from users.

i would rather than they just add basic online functions to their system. they don't need to go that far. imo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Don't all analog sticks go bad eventually?

I've never seen a controller from any brand that didn't eventually develop drift from frequent use.

The only way to win is to not play.
See: Playstation 3, cause it had no games :v:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

isn't this the same reason why people are desperate to find legit DS3 controllers and such?

Actually, it's because the battery they were shipped with is significantly larger than that found in the DS4 or DS5, which are a loving joke.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 19, 2021

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Huxley posted:

0/10, would not recommend using PS4 controller on the Switch.

categorically the worst loving take I've ever seen in this thread

DS4 for life

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

dr.acula posted:

Im just saying its possible for your poo poo to not break for those on the fence about buying a switch?

It's literally impossible for switch joycons not to break given enough usage, due to the graphite used in the joystick housing that eventually grinds into dust which fucks up the inputs

Yes everything breaks eventually; joycons break at an absurdly fast rate

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Omnikin posted:

categorically the worst loving take I've ever seen in this thread

DS4 for life

Having owned the original and the updated version, the DS4 is categorically a poo poo peripheral.
L3 and R3 are too sensitive, the battery is too small, the touchpad is superfluous, the left stick is in the wrong spot, the triggers are too short, the thumbstick tops are badly designed with a concave center, the battery is too small, it uses Micro-usb which wears out the male connector incredibly fast, the gyro sensors are superfluous, and they're at least twenty bucks too expensive because of the useless poo poo Sony added to them that devs don't use.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Foul Fowl posted:

i would rather than they just add basic online functions to their system. they don't need to go that far. imo.

I know I'm an edge case, but not having voice chat or DMs on a console is fantastic, especially when PS4s were crashing and requiring factory resets because people would send a special single character message. If I want to talk to someone, I just hit them up on Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you consider that every gamer will die and the sun will eventually explode it's actually very reasonable and i would even say virtuous that nintendo continues to sell defective controllers