Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A good poster posted:

Capcom would really have to make a modern version of Vampire Chronicle, which they'd made for Dreamcast and PSP, and that's more effort than Capcom's going to make.
I dunno, they've got a history of showing just enough effort to throw a cinder block wrapped in Dreamcast-era source code through the window of an American porting house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
...and then shelving the series for a decade when the game doesn't sell ten million copies.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

A good poster posted:

Darkstalkers Resurrection had a problem because the original CPS2 versions of Darkstalkers 3 couldn't fit all the characters, so they had to make separate versions with different groups of characters omitted. Capcom would really have to make a modern version of Vampire Chronicle, which they'd made for Dreamcast and PSP, and that's more effort than Capcom's going to make.

Vampire Chronicle is based on the poo poo VH2/VS2 rereleases anyways where half the cast became non-functional for very arbitrary reasons and the game in general had some weird engine alterations. The VH2/VS2 thing and the releases immediately following is a large part of why Darkstalkers is... well, dead- the closest thing Vampire Savior 1 ever got to a decent home release until Resurrection sixteen years later was the Saturn port which was... ok? It functioned. And never released outside Japan. If they're not gonna do a fresh release or just shove Darkstalkers Resurrection forward they should probably make an actual functional update to Vampire Savior that uses the original CPS2 VS1 release as the base.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the thing with Hunter 2/Savior 2 is they aren't just Savior/Darkstalkers 3 with different rosters, they're also different in gameplay and frame data and nowhere near as good or well liked. And all console releases and compilations also are different from the arcade version in more or less subtle ways, so there's no available basis for making a single Savior-that-is-awesome-but-with-the-missing-guys without making it an original design, and you may as well just release Darkstalkers Resurrection. Or a new Darkstalkers (which will never happen)!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Somehow my youtube homepage started getting littered with videos for Street Fighter Duel which I guess is a chinese gacha game that came out a few months ago. I just wish they pumped out a little fighting game with all these dumb little chibi models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvvGJpH-dk

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I saw an idea on discord recently about adding Sharon to Strive and giving her EX Slayer's moveset from +R, and I thought that was an awesome idea. Plus, an intro or outro where Slayer gets to be the arm candy this time would be pretty choice. Plus it would help differ a Slayer-esque character from Nagoriyuki more, considering the latter has a lot of Slayer's staples already.

I'd prefer just adding a slightly retooled Slayer as DLC, but I'd find that addition charming in its own right.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah playable slayers wife is the dream

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i want Gabriel too

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I want Dr. Paradigm.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Probably the only person in existence who'd like Izuna back, if only for his theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAHkQgWKsgo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

leopaldon

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

leopaldon

I would also like to request this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Legit just noticed that MK11 has a free upgrade on PS5

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

Roth posted:

Legit just noticed that MK11 has a free upgrade on PS5

The difference is so small it might not even be worth the hard drive space if you have the PS4 version on an external drive. Plus there’s some weird stuff going on with save transferring.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

leopaldon

will be in ultra guilty gear accent core +CLR, released after strive bombs and they resort to using him + robo ky 2 as new characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

will be in ultra guilty gear accent core +CLR, released after strive bombs and they resort to using him + robo ky 2 as new characters
hell yes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

A good poster posted:

Darkstalkers Resurrection had a problem because the original CPS2 versions of Darkstalkers 3 couldn't fit all the characters, so they had to make separate versions with different groups of characters omitted. Capcom would really have to make a modern version of Vampire Chronicle, which they'd made for Dreamcast and PSP, and that's more effort than Capcom's going to make.

Still surprised they never did this. I remember the PS2 KoF Nests collection is just the Dreamcast ports on a PS2 disk so it's not like a cheapo port isn't possible.

The Dreamcast Vampire Chronicle and SSFIIX were really cool ways to make a definitive version of those respective games imo with having access to the different versions of each character and "dip switches" and stuff.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'd love to see a deep dive into what causes some games to have the same version ported over and over throughout the years, while other games seemingly start the port from scratch with each new release/collection.

Y'all have already mentioned lots of fighting game examples, but there's plenty of others like the fact that Sega has it's American, European, and Japanese branches all working on competing versions of ways to play old Sega games. Didn't America work on Sega Forever, Europe did the Sega Genesis & Megadrive Classics that has all the Steamworks support, and then Japan is working on all of the Sega Ages games that come out for Switch? I understand there are differences to the versions, and they're all on different platforms, it just seems like a very inefficient way of making your classic games available for purchase on all modern systems.

Then there's other stuff like the fact that the American & Japanese version of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara are made by separate development teams, and as such have obscure differences that makes neither the definitive version.

Does a lot of this come down to game companies being bad at preserving their games and so every porthouse has to come up with a new way to resurrect an old game they don't have the source code for? Or something else?

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 19, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'd love to see a deep dive into what causes some games to have the same version ported over and over throughout the years, while other games seemingly start the port from scratch with each new release/collection.

Y'all have already mentioned lots of fighting game examples, but there's plenty of others like the fact that Sega has it's American, European, and Japanese branches all working on competing versions of ways to play old Sega games. Didn't America work on Sega Forever, Europe did the Sega Genesis & Megadrive Classics that has all the Steamworks support, and then Japan is working on all of the Sega Ages games that come out for Switch? I understand there are differences to the versions, and they're all on different platforms, it just seems like a very inefficient way of making your classic games available for purchase on all modern systems.

Then there's other stuff like the fact that the American & Japanese version of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara are made by separate development teams, and as such have obscure differences that makes neither the definitive version.

Does a lot of this come down to game companies being bad at preserving their games and so every porthouse has to come up with a new way to resurrect an old game they don't have the source code for? Or something else?

Some of the games you're talking about use emulation, which is always going to introduce quirks you don't see on original hardware. Others are ground-up rebuilds for new hardware, which can come with their own foibles if they're not exactingly done. Even Nintendo's vaunted Virtual Console titles have problems with things like color palate, latency, and sound quality depending on which system you're talking about. (both the emulated system and the one running it.)

It's very, very difficult to recreate an exact experience of using a particular piece of software with a particular piece of hardware. M2 (the group that does many of the Sega Ages games and is responsible for many of the more recent collections from the likes of Capcom, Namco, and Konami as well) might well be the best at what they do but even their quality can vary wildly at times depending on the time they have and how well they know the system they're working with.;

None of this has anything to do with Darkstalkers Chronicles. That was just a bad mash-up that based it's code on a disliked version of Vampire Savior. It could have been a perfect translation of it's intended experience (it wasn't) and still be trash.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

In the case of most classic console and arcade games from before the PS1/N64 era, games were written in a version of assembly language specific to the system's CPU instead of something more portable and/or high-level like C++. In that case, even if you do have the original source code, your only options are either emulation of the original intended hardware (with ROM hacks and/or memory editing to implement any new features you want, or changes required by modern releases like replacing red crosses, removing epilepsy triggers etc.) or using the code as a reference for a rewrite.

It's very much not an exact science, there's a lot of different approaches that can be - and are - taken, and a lot of ways those approaches can suck rear end if not handled with the appropriate care.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/leni_things/status/1351476984346521607?s=20

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

:captainpop:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:yikes:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:kstare:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

lmao wait that link was real??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't make your password's website "sol2cool4school"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

thats some bullshit blazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Uhh

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

There has to be an easier way to announce Bridget

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Really laser targeting the smash community there :v:

Bad time to get hacked though, at least I'm presuming that's what happened here

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Bad time to get hacked though, at least I'm presuming that's what happened here

Or someone at ArcSys is trying to celebrate Watsuki's birthday

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
whoever wrote the box copy for the us release of arcana heart is at it again i see

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
:yarg:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1351431704288788480

Oh come on, another Goku/Vegeta?

I guess there's probably not gonna be a DBFZ 2 because at this point I'm not actually sure there are any gokus or vegetas left to add? Maybe we can get the cross over game people were talking about pages ago instead

I swear if they add Majin Vegeta (aka Vegeta, but Evil and has an M on his head) I'm not even gonna be surprised at this point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just assumed Majin Vegeta was already in.

There are a lot of characters for DBFZ that could be added that aren't saiyins but saiyins sell.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

If I'm correct Gogeta is the last dlc character for season 3 and probably the game as a whole.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How many of these fuckers will be DLC again for DBFZ2

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How many of these fuckers will be DLC again for DBFZ2

search your heart. you know that you will be buying gokus forever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gogeta/goku/vegeta/vegito sell like crazy. if you look at steam sales data/reviews/etc theres literally like 3x/4x the amount of people who own ultra instinct goku than master roshi. people literally not even buying the fighter pass so they can just buy all the gokus and not get anyone else because they dont care about anyone but goku. hard to blame arcsys for following the money.

that said ssj4 gogeta is a weird pull since, super saiyan blue gogeta is already in the game and already has some moves taken from gt gogeta. iunno what they'll do to make ssj4 gogeta distinct. its a shame since baby is technically a vegeta but is super unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also hopefully they just port the game to ps5/xbone as 'fighterz complete' with all the dlc included and then make another season pass of, iunno, omega shenron/ssj4 goku/majin vegeta/toppo/random movie villain