Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The most obvious thing is that I'm severely undervaluing relics, most particularly in Act I. I don't think it's so much that I'm shying away from Act I elites as much as I'm over-prioritizing campfires to upgrade the cards I get during that run, which could be hamstringing me later on. I'll do some relic-hunting runs and see where that gets me.

I'm still scared of Act 2/3 Elites. Just about every time I've tried one I get completely wrecked.

I watched Jorbs' Ironclad overexplain run and learned quite a bit. The run itself was kinda weird -- he got Dead Branch mid-Act II which completely changed the game -- but of course it's about the banter more than the run itself.

Thanks again everyone for the help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also for shits and giggles this is what got me killed on the act 4 elites because my relic choices finally owned me and I drew both Curse of the Bell and the two Mark of the Pain Wounds on a 60 incoming damage turn

Berserk was an outright mistake, I don't think I played it once, and it's usually something I get when I don't have an energy relic. Probably needed more high end block, too, Flame Barrier by itself wasn't near enough.

still given stupid strength gain i was sailing through mainly because Reaper with strength gain + Exhume is so good

currently 5/5/4/4

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 19, 2021

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Thank you everyone for the feedback. The most obvious thing is that I'm severely undervaluing relics, most particularly in Act I. I don't think it's so much that I'm shying away from Act I elites as much as I'm over-prioritizing campfires to upgrade the cards I get during that run, which could be hamstringing me later on. I'll do some relic-hunting runs and see where that gets me.

I'm still scared of Act 2/3 Elites. Just about every time I've tried one I get completely wrecked.

I watched Jorbs' Ironclad overexplain run and learned quite a bit. The run itself was kinda weird -- he got Dead Branch mid-Act II which completely changed the game -- but of course it's about the banter more than the run itself.

Thanks again everyone for the help :)

Here's some more Ironclad advice from earlier in the thread:

Zephro posted:

Strength and Exhaust are Ironclad's two scaling mechanics. There are more options for Strength than Demon Form. Spot Weakness, Inflame and Limit Break are all decent cards. They may look underpowered compared to some of the other scaling mechanics but one thing to realise is that extra damage is much more efficient than extra block, which is often wasted. If an incoming attack is hitting you for 20 then there is no advantage to having 30 block instead of 20. On the other hand hitting a mob for 30 instead of 20 is almost always good. Also, a lot of the Ironclad's cards gain extra benefit from Strength - Twin Strike, Sword Boomerang, Heavy Blade, Whirlwind, Pummel etc all multi-dip on the stat.

Anyway, I had the same problem as you for a while. What fixed it for me was realising I needed to prioritise offence a lot more than I was doing. Ironclad *can* go super-defensive with Barricade, Entrench and the like, but generally his block options are not as good as Silent or Defect so trying to make it work is a bit of a crapshoot.

So instead lean into your class mechanics. A lot of your attacks hit hard and apply useful debuffs like Weak or Vulnerable. Burning Blood can heal you for 100+ over the course of a run, so you can think of it as 3 free campfires. And in a way offence is the best defence, because dead monsters can't hit you. Start taking more Uppercuts or Fiend Fires or Immolates and stuff, play less defensively and see how you get on. I was stuck on low Ascensions for a long time until the mindset switch clicked.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Spot Weakness is almost always an autopick for me. sometimes you get hosed but other than Enflame it's the easiest strength+ card i've had

e) also this may be bad advice but i tend to find Armaments+ good if you are frequently having to repair elite+chip damage at campfires instead of Smithing

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 19, 2021

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

2x Disarm+ just completely trivializes so many fights, especially with an Exhume :stare:

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Armaments is good but it doesn't really need an upgrade in my opinion. Often you can only play Armaments and one or two other cards in a turn, so it's enough if Armanents upgrades your strongest card. By the time you draw the other cards again, the fight will often be over. That being said, it is a very good upgrade if you have Runic Pyramid.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

KonvexKonkav posted:

Armaments is good but it doesn't really need an upgrade in my opinion. Often you can only play Armaments and one or two other cards in a turn, so it's enough if Armanents upgrades your strongest card. By the time you draw the other cards again, the fight will often be over. That being said, it is a very good upgrade if you have Runic Pyramid.

That's an interesting take - my feeling on armaments is that it's often not worth playing so I'm only going to play it if I have something I want to upgrade in my hand and I need the long term value. So I'll take upgraded armaments or take it with the intention of upgrading (if I have a pyramid) - otherwise it's a skip for me since 5 block + 2ish damage is not worth it for a card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Not upgrading Armaments was I think a Jorbs hot take from a while back and I'm pretty sure it's just troll. You pick the card to help you in long act 1 fights, you don't have much business putting it in your deck otherwise.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah I've had Armanents+ save my rear end in a Sentries fight, for instance. in fights where you shouldn't be reshuffling much it probably won't do that much

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There is always a serious reason to care about deck size, and it's exactly the same reason as in MTG - you want to consistently draw your best cards, and usually more than once. Most fights in Act 3 last 5 to 7 turns, so if you can't draw through your whole deck in that time there will be cards you don't see. If those cards are crucial to your plan, then you will lose.

That isn't to say that you can't win with a fat deck. But the bigger your deck becomes, the more you are relying on your relics to carry the run.

It's interesting how, "don't care about deck size" is good advice to my friend, who is stuck on higher-level ascensions and therefore already knows the value of utility and avoiding redundancy. But it's bad advice to players like Tayter Swift, who is putting too many copies of commons and not drawing their best cards consistently.

This game is so deep, I love it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Huh. I always took armaments because it seemed like a good way to get better cards in your hand.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Armaments is a land of contrasts

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh. I always took armaments because it seemed like a good way to get better cards in your hand.

It's a case-by-case thing. Do you consistently have a card in your hand that is so valuable upgraded that it's worth taking up card draw with Armaments? If yes, then great! If not, then Armaments is just a lovely block card.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Seksiness posted:

Apotheosis is my favourite colourless and if I manage to grab it in act1 it's almost a guaranteed win. Even more so if you are lucky enough to get a bottled lightning.

Bottled lightning apotheosis ftw

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
How do you play literally any class besides silent. Everyone says silent is their worst but I just got to a16 last night and my next closest is like... ironclad a6 lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Very next game broke the losing streak.

This was an incredibly blessed run tho. Neow gave me Apotheosis which meant I could more or less ignore campfires from the start and go relic hunting, at least in Act I. Lantern and Mark of Pain gave me ample energy to set up shop on the first turn, and the Astrolabe gave me good stuff. Shitloads of debuff too.

My biggest mistake was taking Rupture early, which I was thinking of having the starter Decay curse ping but I ditched the curse at the first shop anyway.

Never saw a Battle Trance the whole run, huh.

Yeah I know it's still Ascension 0 but babby steps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

How do you play literally any class besides silent. Everyone says silent is their worst but I just got to a16 last night and my next closest is like... ironclad a6 lol

I feel like it's somewhat easy to cheese out a win with silent if you get lucky with a wraith form, a catalyst, and poison generation. No other character really has a catalyst style "you win now" button. So like even if you don't understand how to really build great desks or deal with lots of the enemies you can sorta skirt by in ways the other classes can't

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

This was an incredibly blessed run tho. Neow gave me Apotheosis which meant I could more or less ignore campfires from the start and go relic hunting, at least in Act I. Lantern and Mark of Pain gave me ample energy to set up shop on the first turn, and the Astrolabe gave me good stuff. Shitloads of debuff too.

My biggest mistake was taking Rupture early, which I was thinking of having the starter Decay curse ping but I ditched the curse at the first shop anyway.

I was going to ask you when you posted your earlier runs but do you have an aversion to the big downside 4 energy boss relics? It's really strange to see not a single one across all those runs besides Mark of Pain which is one of the worst ones.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

Congrats!

In a few hours I'm going to do one of your runs and record it. We can hopefully get some discussion going about the pros and cons when my choices deviate from yours.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

even if you don't understand how to really build great desks

What, something like this?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WarpedLichen posted:

I was going to ask you when you posted your earlier runs but do you have an aversion to the big downside 4 energy boss relics? It's really strange to see not a single one across all those runs besides Mark of Pain which is one of the worst ones.

I do, but funny because Mark of Pain seems the best of the lot to me. I especially liked it here because it pinged my Fire Breathing.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Congrats!

In a few hours I'm going to do one of your runs and record it. We can hopefully get some discussion going about the pros and cons when my choices deviate from yours.

Oh cool, thanks! Do complete, replayable logs of games get stored anywhere?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

I do, but funny because Mark of Pain seems the best of the lot to me. I especially liked it here because it pinged my Fire Breathing.

I don't think so, but I'd love to be wrong. I use OBS and upload it to youtube

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 19, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tayter Swift posted:

Cursed Key or whatever is really good. Obviously pings well with Fire Breathing but depending on the curse you can remove it or just ignore it if it's something like Clumsy.

I think all the energy relics (except possibly Runic Dome) are net positives though.

Also don't go overboard with gabbing curses for Fire Breathing or you'll dead draw at a bad time. Definitely learned that one.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's interesting how, "don't care about deck size" is good advice to my friend, who is stuck on higher-level ascensions and therefore already knows the value of utility and avoiding redundancy. But it's bad advice to players like Tayter Swift, who is putting too many copies of commons and not drawing their best cards consistently.

This game is so deep, I love it.

i explained this phenomenon a while back

little munchkin posted:

One thing that helped me get through the a15-a20 grind is to start leaning more towards picking cards. you learn early on that passing is better because it keeps your deck consistent, but as you go further up there's more curses, more statuses, and removing cards becomes more of a cost. all of these things are mitigated having a thick deck. watching jorbs or other top-level streamers, they're consistently finishing their a20 heart runs with >30 cards in their deck.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
reading about the relic switch being good inspired me, and

oh.

edit to add this run won on A15 lol

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 20, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Congrats!

Just handling some work and then I'm going to do it and upload.

If anyone else wants to do it, the seed is 2ABCYDL36Z9L8

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

curiousCat posted:

oh.

looks like a very strong start and also a very strong lol that your only block comes from Hello World

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That electrodynamics is gonna be doing some serious heavy lifting

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

curiousCat posted:

oh.

So basically you want to do the first three easy fights asap and hope to pull a Ball Lightning or Cold Snap and two block cards. If you can manage that then you're actually pretty well set up for the second half of Act 1.

Try to path such that you can go to a shop after the first three easy fights to plug up any holes.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
yeah it was an a15 win

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i decided to just play a normal game and lmao i'm just smashing through it without any trouble

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

curiousCat posted:

oh.

edit to add this run won on A15 lol

Pandora's box is always like 2 block cards away from being a solid deck., if can make it far enough to find those two block cards, you're probably gonna do fine.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

curiousCat posted:

oh.

:sickos:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i decided to just play a normal game and lmao i'm just smashing through it without any trouble

Yeah, I accidently forgot to set A17 yesterday, I was wondering why I was just blasting through everything. Once I realized, I felt really dumb.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Congrats!

https://twitch.tv/videos/880254939
(In the beginning I'm not clear: I abandon the first run at Neow because I had it at A13 and I wanted the Tayter Swift experience of A0)

Please discuss. Would love to learn and hope it helps Tayter Swift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2S1MgEHjt4

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 20, 2021

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

They're less afraid of you than you are of them. Regardless, :killing:

deltah
Sep 28, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I feel like it's somewhat easy to cheese out a win with silent if you get lucky with a wraith form, a catalyst, and poison generation. No other character really has a catalyst style "you win now" button. So like even if you don't understand how to really build great desks or deal with lots of the enemies you can sorta skirt by in ways the other classes can't

I was coming to this same conclusion but I'm new to the game so wasn't sure if it was a common opinion or not. I wanted to go "poison" deck but really that boils down to catalyst plus "don't die" cards. Like as few as 1-2 poison cards with a catalyst is kind of fine? And then if you get more catalysts or a burst, even better.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

You can take more than full advantage of catalyst with even just a single bouncing flask (that you probably should +).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I started Act 2 on a Defect run with 11 cards, and none of them were my starting strike/block cards because I spent ALL my money on removals, got removal events, and took Empty Cage (remove 2 cards) as my boss relic :shepspends:

I didn't make it to Act 3. I have no idea how to play defect but it felt good to roleplay as poverty bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Countblanc posted:

Catalyst is ftw but I’ve been using wraith form a lot less, not skipping it obviously but not having it in my decks for most wins. Silent just has cool blocking cards. Backflip, cloak and dagger, all the blocking uncommons plus dexterity, don’t even need wraith form