Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Time for a more wholesome thread.

A long time ago, when I was a little kid, I apparently made my dad a play-doh alligator sculpture. He kept it all these years (he's in his 70s now) and I found out he recently lost it and was very upset. Thinking about it made me go "gently caress it, let's try to make him another one." So today I bought some Super Sculpey and tools and sat down to gently caress with clay for the first time in over a decade...

He wasn't fat enough:

Started to add detail and some of that armored scale stuff on the back before calling it a night:

My nails are destroyed and it's nowhere near done, but if the end result makes my dad smile it was worth it.

Anyone sculpt before or make things for family? Any Super Sculpey tips? This isn't just for me, feel free to share your own stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Aegis Bear posted:

Time for a more wholesome thread.

A long time ago, when I was a little kid, I apparently made my dad a play-doh alligator sculpture. He kept it all these years (he's in his 70s now) and I found out he recently lost it and was very upset. Thinking about it made me go "gently caress it, let's try to make him another one." So today I bought some Super Sculpey and tools and sat down to gently caress with clay for the first time in over a decade...

He wasn't fat enough:

Started to add detail and some of that armored scale stuff on the back before calling it a night:

My nails are destroyed and it's nowhere near done, but if the end result makes my dad smile it was worth it.

Anyone sculpt before or make things for family? Any Super Sculpey tips? This isn't just for me, feel free to share your own stuff!

suck my croc

jk, that's great and wholesome. Looks great!

e- i really thought someone would beat me to the first reply. sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
That’s really genuinely cool. Keep practicing I bet you could make some rad gators.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I use Super Sculpy a lot! You got the extra firm grey, which is really good for keeping details.

This looks really great so far, my best advise might not be possible since it's so far along, but I usually start out with an armature of sorts. Since this guy is so low to the ground anyway, a shaped lump of tin foil would give great stability. It would help keep the clay from warping as you handle it, and it fills up space so you can use less clay. It also helps with the curing process, since large chunks of sculpy take a lot longer to bake than thinner pieces.

With this, my best advice would be to bake him low and slow. It will take longer, but your outer detail pieces won't discolor or burn, and it will be more sturdy in the end. The clay gets kinda floppy in the oven before it hardens, so you might want to use foil to prop it up while it cooks so it doesn't slump over.

Of course since you're making your pops happy there's no right or wrong way, this is just my personal experience.

Gonna paint it?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Treecko posted:

I use Super Sculpy a lot! You got the extra firm grey, which is really good for keeping details.

This looks really great so far, my best advise might not be possible since it's so far along, but I usually start out with an armature of sorts. Since this guy is so low to the ground anyway, a shaped lump of tin foil would give great stability. It would help keep the clay from warping as you handle it, and it fills up space so you can use less clay. It also helps with the curing process, since large chunks of sculpy take a lot longer to bake than thinner pieces.

With this, my best advice would be to bake him low and slow. It will take longer, but your outer detail pieces won't discolor or burn, and it will be more sturdy in the end. The clay gets kinda floppy in the oven before it hardens, so you might want to use foil to prop it up while it cooks so it doesn't slump over.

Of course since you're making your pops happy there's no right or wrong way, this is just my personal experience.

Gonna paint it?

Thanks for the tips! In the past I usually used a foil armature, but we didn't have any aluminum in the house tonight and I figured the one thing in the planet that could work without one is a gator since balance/thin limbs isn't an issue. That being said, I can hollow it out tomorrow and stick a foil ball in there for stability.

Appreciated on the oven tip as well. What temperature do you usually go with?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It looks about an inch thick roughly, maybe 1 and a half? judging by the tools. I'd say maybe 250 for about 45 minutes, then turn off the oven and let it cool down all the way before removing the piece. This seems to help it keep from cracking with sudden temperature fluctuation. I always just keep an eye on mine every 15 minutes or so to check for scorching on small bits.

I think it will turn out fine without the foil, I've made plenty without! It just helps to keep me from squashing my own work, this looks fabulous as it is. Your dad's gonna love it!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
make sure to give it a tiny little kiss on the head before you put it in the oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
any more progress, or more info for us dummies that are curious about this in general.

Is it like whittling, where you talk to an old fella' and he's all just remove what isn't what you want it to be?

I have no artistic skills whatsoever, but I've done some abstract stuff. Doesn't seem like this would carry over.

Or make some ninja stars