Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I hate to even ask this, but Kevin and Kell always makes a huge deal about hybrids, and I don't think you ever see an adult who's part elk and part penguin or whatever. Were species only having kids with themselves before the protagonists casually broke barriers and started making magic babies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sherman's Lagoon

Sherman's Lagoon is generally whatever enough that I don't mind spending 10 seconds reading it(alhough I wouldn't bother if it wasn't right next to Hagar), but the repeated 'go potty' phrasing in this storyline is getting to me. Was 'go to the bathroom' too crude for the funny pages?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We all get a little bit overdramatic in a lengthy power outage. It's fine.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Her final message...save da world...

Professor Wayne posted:

I hate to even ask this, but Kevin and Kell always makes a huge deal about hybrids, and I don't think you ever see an adult who's part elk and part penguin or whatever. Were species only having kids with themselves before the protagonists casually broke barriers and started making magic babies?
Don't think about it, Holbrook sure didn't.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 20, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 19, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 19, 1935)

Dark Laughter (October 21, 1939)

“Wait, don’t jump for Gawd’s sake Bootsie. First look in the closet throw out my new drape.”

Mopsy Sunday (January 19, 1947)

I'm putting Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger on pause for a bit.

Those Were the Days

wiki posted:

The strip compared life in earlier times, apparently the late 19th century or very early 20th century, with "modern life", at the time of the strip's popularity, the 1950s and 1960s.
This was a weekly feature - and could have been named “drat kids!”. I must have a thing for comics that repeat the same line every day (And He Did, They’ll Do It Every Time, Them Days is Gone Forever, etc). Here that line is “But now - WOW!”

(January 11, 1951)

(January 18, 1951)

(January 25, 1951)

The ref in this one cracks me up.

Wee Pals (April 10, 1965)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Quickly tried to make that vaguely gang tag sized.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

As an American who will never own a home I'd kill a man to be able to live in a transformer if I could own it outright. I don't get what people's issue with it is.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 4, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 1-2, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Jun 15, 2018)

Feeling very attacked right now.

(Jun 18, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days

This was a weekly feature - and could have been named “drat kids!”. I must have a thing for comics that repeat the same line every day (And He Did, They’ll Do It Every Time, Them Days is Gone Forever, etc). Here that line is “But now - WOW!”

(January 11, 1951)

(January 18, 1951)

(January 25, 1951)

This definitely makes me appreciate Out Our Way more, with its apparently rare emphasis on how thirty years of progress is actually progress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skeleton warrior posted:

This definitely makes me appreciate Out Our Way more, with its apparently rare emphasis on how thirty years of progress is actually progress.

The third one is progress

e. so is the marriage one

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days

(January 11, 1951)

(January 18, 1951)

(January 25, 1951)

All that's missing is a crying Lady Liberty in the corner.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 1-2, 1988)

The dual punchlines on this one are great, gj watterson

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (January 20, 1918)

I bought some Limburger cheese a few months back; it was on clearance at the supermarket (Because it was rapidly approaching its "best by" date, meaning it was extremely potent.) After 3 decades of stereotyping from Looney Tunes and the like I braced myself for the worst. I was shocked to discover that the cheese actually has a very mild flavor; creamy and kind of grassy with only a little funkiness on the finish.

The smell, however, is no exaggeration. Dear lord, it is a pungent thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Transmodiar posted:

That bold goon was me, if you want to search for my posts and read it that way. And I know you think you made it simpler for American audiences, but it's still too complicated. :) Let's just say sixth form is junior and senior year and call it a day.

Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

He was knocking them out with carved devil dicks. Poetry.

We wind up Addams and Evil - 1947

...Aaand start: Drawn And Quartered - 1942

with a note from a fellow-traveler:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PainterofCrap posted:

We wind up Addams and Evil - 1947

That is absolutely wonderful. A double punchline when you realize the audience isn't looking around startled but instead just as scared of whatever they saw when they turned around. Staring behind you...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Staring behind you...
At.

I particularly like these two:
The first one for how Addams renders the ferryman in this blurred style that contrasts with the clear linework in the rest of the cartoon and makes him feel like not quite part of the world. I can very easily see, say, Mother Goose & Grimm doing the exact same joke and just drawing a cloaked skeleton in the regular style.

The second one because it actually portrays an issue that's hitting museums these days (probably has been for a while): indigenous people registering strong complaints that objects the museums display purely as interesting objects from another culture actually hold very strong spiritual significance for these cultures and more likely than not have been stolen by colonialists back in the day.

That really would make a great gangtag. Probably was the 1950s equivalent of a neckbearded gamer type.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Maria is one of the Larssons, the family who have made some appearances earlier in the story, although the comic cut out many of them.

Her father owned the Perttilä farm that was given to their family when Kustaa Bertelsköld's father disowned him in the end of the first book.

Six of her brothers were killed during that scouting mission that was posted in October. The book had a short scene where their father felt that Bertelsköld was responsible for that (they were volunteering, but he set up the mission).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

Axa

And that's it for The Desired! I peeked ahead a little at the next story and I have high hopes for it.

Holy hell, Axa is so bad at being a protagonist. She bumbles around and has to get bailed out time after time. She takes doesn't really provide a decent argument against the dome's terrible gender politics. She also did absolutely nothing in helping to resolve things, especially since the Controller just shrugged and said the men and women can go if they wanted to. Axa also acts as if sending these people to the other dome is a good thing because they'll have the freedom to love each other there, when the dome does absolutely nothing of the sort.

Also that whole merman thing went absolutely nowhere.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am curious as to how many get this, since it does involve having to know the unofficial motto of the Canadian Mounties (no, not 'Lets take all First Nation people on starlight tours'), and that ain't common in Europe.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I could be giving it a wildly generous interpretation but I sort of feel the "those were the days" comics are being knowingly flip on both ends. Like the dad in the first one says "they've only been dating for 8 years!!" which feels like a humorous exaggeration of how things used to be.

But also as others have said the art does rule.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
When we have a sudden power outage my gf freaks out because it reminds her of the Croatian civil war she grew up under, so Luann making Tiffany a silly diva over this grinds my gears real good.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Considering the conversation that was had in this thread yesterday, Classic Kevin and Kell (February 15-19, 1999) is going to make some people in here quite mad.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I am curious as to how many get this, since it does involve having to know the unofficial motto of the Canadian Mounties (no, not 'Lets take all First Nation people on starlight tours'), and that ain't common in Europe.

I got it more by cultural osmosis from cartoons, probably starring Yogi Bear. I don't think I've been within ten thousand km of Canada.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_r06TGDxYo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Samovar posted:

the unofficial motto of the Canadian Mounties (no, not 'Lets take all First Nation people on starlight tours')

hey let's be fair that was specifically the saskatoon police service. the mounties are all about that plausible deniability in ignoring active crimes against indigenous people

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/19/01

Brenda Starr 8/5/45

Smokey Stover 4/23/39

I'm pretty sure this ancient joke goes back to vaudeville days, at least.

Richard's Poor Almanac

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Considering the conversation that was had in this thread yesterday, Classic Kevin and Kell (February 15-19, 1999) is going to make some people in here quite mad.

Well, this certainly took a turn to being extremely stupid.

Now I'm wondering if the 'aliens' are really just the Birdlluminati in disguise, since it'd make no sense for aliens to be concerned about Earth and want Fiona to fix the Y2K bug.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

The transherbivore guy and his sheep wife are confirmed infertile and adoption is quite common in the worldbuilding. At least four characters that I can think of. I'd like to think hybrids tending to be infertile is coherent worldbuilding based on real life biology but I know that in reality this is probably just a coincidence and that if it ever comes up it's going to be the dumb explanation you wrote.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The potential implication here that Gunther is running an illegal hairdressing service during lockdown is a pretty bad thing to normalise on the funny pages.

But maybe actual lockdowns are rare enough in the US that that implication doesn't register there?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Most likely he had all these chameleon jokes he had to get out but no characters were lizards so obviously, adoption. :eng101:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I'm I becoming a boomer? I actually think this is a pretty good point.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

Maria is one of the Larssons, the family who have made some appearances earlier in the story, although the comic cut out many of them.

Her father owned the Perttilä farm that was given to their family when Kustaa Bertelsköld's father disowned him in the end of the first book.

Six of her brothers were killed during that scouting mission that was posted in October. The book had a short scene where their father felt that Bertelsköld was responsible for that (they were volunteering, but he set up the mission).

Zero Brides for Six Brothers would be a pretty depressing musical

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Between this, that long faced cat in the last thread and Big Shirley I don't think there's an animal Thompson has drawn I haven't loved :3

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

Holy hell, Axa is so bad at being a protagonist. She bumbles around and has to get bailed out time after time. She takes doesn't really provide a decent argument against the dome's terrible gender politics. She also did absolutely nothing in helping to resolve things, especially since the Controller just shrugged and said the men and women can go if they wanted to. Axa also acts as if sending these people to the other dome is a good thing because they'll have the freedom to love each other there, when the dome does absolutely nothing of the sort.

Also that whole merman thing went absolutely nowhere.

I didn't understand the strip at first, but now I think it's a phantom case of men (badly) writing women. Someone up top wanted a New Twist on the old stories, and the writers complied. But they had no idea (or didn't care enough) to write how a woman with agency would actually act, so they default to what they knew; her a) making generic/useless comments/exclamations and b) getting her tits out. Like, you can practically draw in the Strong Manly Character she's supposed to be armcandy/Gal Friday for, but since he isn't there, the whole strip feels janky.

(If you shopped in a sexy lamp, would the comic make more or less sense?)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows

Note that in the corner of the shelf in the first panel you can see the award Lottie won in Wicked Things for Teen Detective of the Year (18-19)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

I didn't understand the strip at first, but now I think it's a phantom case of men (badly) writing women. Someone up top wanted a New Twist on the old stories, and the writers complied. But they had no idea (or didn't care enough) to write how a woman with agency would actually act, so they default to what they knew; her a) making generic/useless comments/exclamations and b) getting her tits out. Like, you can practically draw in the Strong Manly Character she's supposed to be armcandy/Gal Friday for, but since he isn't there, the whole strip feels janky.

(If you shopped in a sexy lamp, would the comic make more or less sense?)
It doesn't help how broadly predictable it's been. As soon as she ran into an evil matriarchal society it MUST end up crushed before the arc is over but every single evil patriarchal one will be left standing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks