Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Evokers seem like a walking artillery platform. Wish I had more variety to my damage spells though, though I do use my missile spells when stuff is immune to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Doing my annual playthrough of Pillars and just finished Brave Derrin. No matter how many times I play it it seems to sadden me more than previous times. I hate Derrins dad but this time I had him get out of the bar and try to turn his poo poo around. Even though it's a task that takes like 10-20 minutes to play it's super heavy.

I can never seem to get that to trigger. How do you get him to talk to you? I tried talking to him before I spoke to the wife, but still couldn't get it to work.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

I can never seem to get that to trigger. How do you get him to talk to you? I tried talking to him before I spoke to the wife, but still couldn't get it to work.

After telling Derrins mom the bad news I went to the brothel and his dad was still there getting wasted. If you have high resolve (16 I think) you can get him to rethink his life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

After telling Derrins mom the bad news I went to the brothel and his dad was still there getting wasted. If you have high resolve (16 I think) you can get him to rethink his life.

Yeah I rerolled a new poe1 char with high resolve because I ran across so many loving dialogue checks where resolve was the only way to proceed without having to do some boring rear end fetch or murder everyone. You get lots of good flavor dialogue from the other stats but resolve is seemingly one of the most useful.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah I rerolled a new poe1 char with high resolve because I ran across so many loving dialogue checks where resolve was the only way to proceed without having to do some boring rear end fetch or murder everyone. You get lots of good flavor dialogue from the other stats but resolve is seemingly one of the most useful.

Another thing I never triggered until this run: when you do the a call to court quest if you have the whispers of yenwood sword equipped one of the dudes you talk to in the ducal palace mentions it which I thought was pretty neat.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone here met a bug in which Modwyr is asking to talk but there is not "talk" button in the weapon's description ? Is there a way to use the console or something to trigger the conversation ?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Don't you talk with Modwyr by using the Talk interaction on the Watcher? (i.e.: talk to yourself)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally into Deadfire with my Druid. Ancients are pretty good. The Sporelings are really strong, at least early on.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jan posted:

Don't you talk with Modwyr by using the Talk interaction on the Watcher? (i.e.: talk to yourself)
I tried, and no. Notably, I can't find a "force talk" button.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ginette Reno posted:

Finally into Deadfire with my Druid. Ancients are pretty good. The Sporelings are really strong, at least early on.

Ancients rule. The sporelings are very helpful for the first few levels, and then by the time they are outclassed you have -so- many other great abilities to use. If this is your first time in PoE2 then here's a hint you'll want to follow up on for your Ancient: there's a magical gear shop in Neketaka that sells a staff that is particularly great for Ancient druids. If you're careful you can even shoplift it!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Ancients rule. The sporelings are very helpful for the first few levels, and then by the time they are outclassed you have -so- many other great abilities to use. If this is your first time in PoE2 then here's a hint you'll want to follow up on for your Ancient: there's a magical gear shop in Neketaka that sells a staff that is particularly great for Ancient druids. If you're careful you can even shoplift it!

It's not my first time, but I am absolutely getting that staff asap. And yeah I plan to just dot the ever loving hell out of everything.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

X_Toad posted:

I tried, and no. Notably, I can't find a "force talk" button.

Were you at sea while trying? Being on the boat prevents some interactions like that.

Alternatively, and this will suck, maybe try severing connection and restarting progress?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

X_Toad posted:

Has anyone here met a bug in which Modwyr is asking to talk but there is not "talk" button in the weapon's description ? Is there a way to use the console or something to trigger the conversation ?

Did you bind the weapon to your character? It is not enough to equip it, Modwyr needs to be soulbound to start the quest.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Alternatively, and this will suck, maybe try severing connection and restarting progress?
That might not suck as much as you think, I only cleared the first level, kill one kith with the sword. However, I also don't remember seeing a button to unbind...

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think Modwyr is a special case where she gets stuck on you when you first bind her actually. I believe selling and then rebuying soulbound items can also reset levels.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah you can't unbind Modwyr. So short of hoping the sell/buy glitch still works you might just have to force the convo in the console or something.

That said I think you can still finish Modwyr's quest without that conversation.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What happens if you don't recruit Tekehu until the Shadow of Neketaka quest?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What happens if you don't recruit Tekehu until the Shadow of Neketaka quest?

Not much. He will be with the guard in the Temple and he will offer to come along.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I just finished the Hanging Sepulchre in Neketaka and I gotta say, the surprises in the skeleton fight in the lower left of the map were nasty. Who came up with that stuff ?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So I bounced off Pillars 2 pretty hard when it came out. It wasn't anything the game did - I'm a fan. When Pillars 1 launched, I played through all the BG games in prep. There's only a few little things, even cosmetic things, that I don't like about the Pillars presentation, cast, world. Small things.

I picked back up Pillars 2 last week and just fell in love with it again thanks to Turn-Based. Every time I sit down, I feel like I have been personally invited to play a sesh of D&D with the cast of Critical Role. I love the way the combat encounters pop up. I love how Turn-Based makes me interact with the system instead of cheesing it (like someone said upthread). I notice and understand why certain things are Free actions, why the Wound system from the previous one was gone, etc., to save the busywork. (I heard you just rest after every combat in BG3, which tbf is how players TRY to play 5e). The amount of depth in the systems (not just combat) I am really sinking my teeth into. I loving love when crpgs do the CYOA thing, and I like the ship-to-ship combat, too.
I really get a "I have to do one more dungeon" from this game and get really absorbed.

Also, I'm playing it on PS5. There is a learning curve to the buttons and the UI and not everything is as smooth as I'd like wrt the inventory, but I don't care. Is there a way to have the combat text on-screen all the time/during combat instead of just looking at it in the Radial?

(E: I also tried Pathfinder mid last year and couldn't get into it. I'm very familiar with Pathfinder, and even played a lot of the campaign of Kingmaker in the pencil & paper, but found the writing bleah, the bugs way too numerous, and the "iconic" companions boring as hell.
When you get so many bugs in a CRPG, it can be odd when quests don't explicitly reveal how they arrived at the conclusion they did, and the best often don't. So when the journal didn't update or when a quest ended or seemed to end in a weird fashion I always had the thought ... "is this bugged??")

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 27, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I had that "just play a bit more" feeling constantly when the game first came out, I'd start playing at 9pm and suddenly realise it was 1am. They put a lot of effort into there always being something cool or interesting to find. The DLC do it even better; Forgotten Sanctum particularly is insane the sheer number of little things and interactions there are. One of my favourite bits is in Seeker Slayer Survivor, referencing Beast Of Winter- you meet a party of dragon slayers and you can brag to them about all the dragons you've slain- you can mention the Beast Of Winter dragon and the game has dialogue options for if you've gone through both fights, or if you've just fought it once. That's my poo poo!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Doing pretty well with my Ancient so far, even on potd/upscaled. It's just such a strong kit. Summons, dots, heals, shapeshifting for melee dps when I want it. It really can do it at all, much like it could in Poe1. I gave Eder Cadhu Scalth and he's specced into Metaphysics and Athletics to take full advantage of it. Eder being skilled up in metaphysics is kind of hilarious to me.

I am pretty sure my next play when I finish this one will be a Steel Garrote/Blood Mage. Being a right prick instead of the goody two shoes I've been in this playthrough would be an interesting change of pace, and those two classes have some fun synergies.

I do sometimes miss the extra party slot in Poe2. I like to rotate people through but it's hard to get Eder out of my party since he's such a good tank, and it's hard to ever not have Maia there unless I have a PC who specs into perception because she's usually my mechanics/perception expert. Annd it's also hard to not have Xoti since Priest buffs + heals are just universally useful. She's probably a bit less required than the other two, though, especially since my guy can heal.

I always rotate that final slot with whoever seems most appropriate for a given mission, though. I just finished Old City. This play I've specced Tekehu as a Stormseeker and that spec seems pretty decent. Getting Overwhelming Wave as a free talent is kinda nice, and it looks like he can get Avenging Storm at pl8 as well. That should play well with him using dual blunderbusses.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ginette Reno posted:

Eder being skilled up in metaphysics is kind of hilarious to me.

I'm assuming the Watcher told him if he could figure this poo poo out he'd be able to start petting animals in other dimensions, and he spent all night up badgering Concelhaut to tutor him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I'm assuming the Watcher told him if he could figure this poo poo out he'd be able to start petting animals in other dimensions, and he spent all night up badgering Concelhaut to tutor him.

This sounds like a good headcanon to me lol.

Eder as a Swashbuckler with a shield is nice. He has so many engagement slots. I think it's my favorite spec for him. He creates so much space for my back line and once I get those big aoe Druid dots rolling it's all over.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

This sounds like a good headcanon to me lol.

Eder as a Swashbuckler with a shield is nice. He has so many engagement slots. I think it's my favorite spec for him. He creates so much space for my back line and once I get those big aoe Druid dots rolling it's all over.

There's armor and two weapons that increase the number of targets engaged and each has a bonus per engaged target (take less damage, do more damage, haste), which is my usual get up for Swashbuckler Eder. Pick every rogue and warrior talent that increases engagement and mobility and punishes disengagement and you've got a one man battering ram. I put him in front with everyone stealthed, he gets seen first, all mobs bear down on him and just explode.

Your Ancient druid posts made me make one and I'm doing a companion run (I usually create a full party at the first inn) and getting all the side quests in, it's cool to get all the reactivity again. My Ancient is multiclassed with a ranger with Spearcaster though, so it's a bit of a different style from yours, though I am probably going to switch to that stick from Neketaka at higher levels.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Meatgrinder posted:

There's armor and two weapons that increase the number of targets engaged and each has a bonus per engaged target (take less damage, do more damage, haste), which is my usual get up for Swashbuckler Eder. Pick every rogue and warrior talent that increases engagement and mobility and punishes disengagement and you've got a one man battering ram. I put him in front with everyone stealthed, he gets seen first, all mobs bear down on him and just explode.

I wonder if the "attacks of opportunities" work on enemies simply flagged as engaged (such as one affected by Phantom Foes) ?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Furism posted:

I wonder if the "attacks of opportunities" work on enemies simply flagged as engaged (such as one affected by Phantom Foes) ?

Phantom Foes causes the target to be Flanked afaik, which is a condition for Sneak Attack, which might be what you're thinking of. Engagement can only be the result of "moving into melee range", I think, with Disengagement attacks straight forward "target moves out of melee range" one time free hits, while Sneak Attack adds a ton of damage to each attack to a target with certain afflictions, such as Flanked.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Eder spent the whole first game smoking whiteleaf, hanging out with the weirdest dudes in the Dyrwood, discovering the True Nature of the Gods while getting blasted with fireballs, psychic knives, magic grease puddles etc. from all manner of hosed up creatures. He's got as much a claim to a hilariously overinflated Metaphysics score as anyone imo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

Your Ancient druid posts made me make one and I'm doing a companion run (I usually create a full party at the first inn) and getting all the side quests in, it's cool to get all the reactivity again. My Ancient is multiclassed with a ranger with Spearcaster though, so it's a bit of a different style from yours, though I am probably going to switch to that stick from Neketaka at higher levels.

Ancient is a fine choice to multi. I like it as a single class for the increased PL plus access to tier 8 and 9 spells but there's nothing wrong with multiclassing one. As Ranger you can probably toss a few spells out and then rip them apart with Spearcaster.

My plan for Eder right now is to have him use Cadhu Scalth and Kapana Taga. Kapana Tag gives additional engagement when upgraded and it also gives a bonus to damage per engagement as well. With me already skilling Eder for engagement to begin with he's going to be able to hold a ton of enemies by himself and also do pretty decent dps for using a shield and a weapon. It's also a club so if I want to use the modal to make certain spells easier to land I can do that too.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Eder spent the whole first game smoking whiteleaf, hanging out with the weirdest dudes in the Dyrwood, discovering the True Nature of the Gods while getting blasted with fireballs, psychic knives, magic grease puddles etc. from all manner of hosed up creatures. He's got as much a claim to a hilariously overinflated Metaphysics score as anyone imo

This is true. He's definitely an expert in weird poo poo.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Ancient is a fine choice to multi. I like it as a single class for the increased PL plus access to tier 8 and 9 spells but there's nothing wrong with multiclassing one. As Ranger you can probably toss a few spells out and then rip them apart with Spearcaster.

My plan for Eder right now is to have him use Cadhu Scalth and Kapana Taga. Kapana Tag gives additional engagement when upgraded and it also gives a bonus to damage per engagement as well. With me already skilling Eder for engagement to begin with he's going to be able to hold a ton of enemies by himself and also do pretty decent dps for using a shield and a weapon. It's also a club so if I want to use the modal to make certain spells easier to land I can do that too.

Oh I use a mod that removes the level cap, which means I have access to the last two levels of a multiclassed character's abilities. Nothing like venturing into Seeker, Slayer, Survivor with a level 24 party with scaling fully on at a high difficulty level.

My problem with Cadhu Scalth is that its benefits from Arcana and Metaphysics don't actually show up in the character sheet. This has always been a "bug" and it is unclear if the effects are not active, or if the text is missing from the summary of effects on the sheet. I stopped using it after I found out about that, at any rate.

Anyway, Pallegina is tanking as a chanter/paladin, which is my favorite tanking combination.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

Oh I use a mod that removes the level cap, which means I have access to the last two levels of a multiclassed character's abilities. Nothing like venturing into Seeker, Slayer, Survivor with a level 24 party with scaling fully on at a high difficulty level.

My problem with Cadhu Scalth is that its benefits from Arcana and Metaphysics don't actually show up in the character sheet. This has always been a "bug" and it is unclear if the effects are not active, or if the text is missing from the summary of effects on the sheet. I stopped using it after I found out about that, at any rate.

Anyway, Pallegina is tanking as a chanter/paladin, which is my favorite tanking combination.

I think the deflection bonus at least shows up on your character although I'm not sure.

Pallegina is a nice tank as a Herald. My only complaint with her in that regard is she can't really get a lot of engagement slots, at least not without gear. I almost like her more as a secondary/support tank rather than a primary one because of that.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Meatgrinder posted:

There's armor and two weapons that increase the number of targets engaged and each has a bonus per engaged target (take less damage, do more damage, haste), which is my usual get up for Swashbuckler Eder.

I loved that I just settled on basically entirely Huana kit for Eder because it fit my build for him. I like to think of him being entirely taken in by the setting and was like, "When in Rome..."

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I decided to try and play this again, and tried turn based and holy poo poo is it slow. Every fight takes ten minutes just at the beginning. I really like the tactical side of it but the game is enormous already. I’ve only just gotten to Neketaka and I don’t see this being feasible as the game progresses. I saw there are mods to lower HP but that clearly had nasty trade offs. Are most people just doing RTwP?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Velius posted:

I decided to try and play this again, and tried turn based and holy poo poo is it slow. Every fight takes ten minutes just at the beginning. I really like the tactical side of it but the game is enormous already. I’ve only just gotten to Neketaka and I don’t see this being feasible as the game progresses. I saw there are mods to lower HP but that clearly had nasty trade offs. Are most people just doing RTwP?

RTwP is the system that game was designed to be, I'd really encourage just going with it. You can slow down combat using the slider in the bottom center of the screen, and at the slowest setting it crawls. Use slow combat speed and pause combat often, and it's really not hard to follow what's happening at all.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I abandoned my turn-based run when after 35 hours I had barely scratched the surface of Neketaka. When I switched (using the console) it was after I lost a ship combat encounter after about 40 minutes. In RtwP it took about 30 seconds.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Right, seems pretty cut and dry to me. I’ll restart in real time and try some AI mods to improve the control in combat. Thanks guys!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Turn based is nice, but definitely something I would not recommend unless you've done a RTwP run or you're an massive fan of min maxing tactical combat. I was definitely able to defeat much harder encounters in turn based, and I feel I understand the mechanics of combat way better having done a few turn based runs, but I skip a LOT of content when I do one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can switch right back to rtwp without needing to start over: just hit ~ to open the console and then SetTacticalMode Disabled

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

2house2fly posted:

You can switch right back to rtwp without needing to start over: just hit ~ to open the console and then SetTacticalMode Disabled

Caveat emptor: this can be a bit buggy and either gameplay uses stats somewhat differently from the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Meatgrinder posted:

Turn based is nice, but definitely something I would not recommend unless you've done a RTwP run or you're an massive fan of min maxing tactical combat.

Unless you're playing on PotD or maybe even Hard, the game is pretty forgiving. You absolutely don't need to min-max (although you absolutely can) and that's one of the beauty of the game's combat system.