Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

Finding out just how fake Pimp My Ride was kind of crushed me for a bit.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840

Similarly the extreme house makeover shows usually end up not going well for the homeowners. Turns out that adding a bunch of stuff to a house jacks your property taxes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AceOfFlames posted:

There was also a guy who got eliminated mid season who at the end of the episode was approached by Stan Lee who told him "You know, you're a lousy hero, but you'd make a GREAT villain" and he then became an antagonist for the others.
This is actually awesome and more reality shows could benefit from embracing the heel by keeping them around in an actively antagonistic role

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is actually awesome and more reality shows could benefit from embracing the heel by keeping them around in an actively antagonistic role

Survivor and a few others did that by bringing back villain characters from previous seasons, but half the time they were often the first eliminated because you knew exactly what they were going to do

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

muscles like this! posted:

Similarly the extreme house makeover shows usually end up not going well for the homeowners. Turns out that adding a bunch of stuff to a house jacks your property taxes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WZnkyiBG_U

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Rahonavis posted:

As far as most insane reality show, it’s a toss-up between Who Wants to be a Superhero?, which was at least fun to watch, and Mad Mad House, which... wasn’t.

I went to high school with Monkey Woman. It was both incredibly surreal and completely unsurprising to see her pop up on the show, particularly as that character. She was not only a Drama Kid but also a Choir Kid and was the living epitome of both tropes.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

In college my roommates and I got way to into "I love New York" on VH1. We hated everyone on that show but the drama was too good to not watch.

I also remember before the second season they had a website where guys could make profiles and try to get votes to compete in the show. Goons found this unemployed drunk redhead going by the name "The Fireman" that they rallied around trying to get him on. He posted videos of himself waking up from his bed (which was just a recliner in his buddies house) and eating his Rice Krispies cereal with beer instead of milk and made a myspace page where the only song on his profile was the Top Gun theme.

I think he had the most votes at the end but the show ignored the will of the people and picked some other generic dude. :mad:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

duck trucker posted:

In college my roommates and I got way to into "I love New York" on VH1. We hated everyone on that show but the drama was too good to not watch.

I also remember before the second season they had a website where guys could make profiles and try to get votes to compete in the show. Goons found this unemployed drunk redhead going by the name "The Fireman" that they rallied around trying to get him on. He posted videos of himself waking up from his bed (which was just a recliner in his buddies house) and eating his Rice Krispies cereal with beer instead of milk and made a myspace page where the only song on his profile was the Top Gun theme.

I think he had the most votes at the end but the show ignored the will of the people and picked some other generic dude. :mad:

Lmao gently caress I remember this and it was hilarious. Actual benign and fun Goon Humor punching up.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao gently caress I remember this and it was hilarious. Actual benign and fun Goon Humor punching up.

Yeah in retrospect I feel like it could've became another Doobie's Dog House situation but thankfully the only thing required of goons was to vote on a VH1 website and not take Christmas away from their children.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Laterite posted:

I went to high school with Monkey Woman. It was both incredibly surreal and completely unsurprising to see her pop up on the show, particularly as that character. She was not only a Drama Kid but also a Choir Kid and was the living epitome of both tropes.

I only saw the first season, and maybe not even all of it, but there was a lot of...tonal shift? I think is the phrase I want? In some of the challenges.

That is to say, I remember one time they were "chasing a villain" or something else, but basically just running through a park in their costume. And in the park was a little girl yelling that she lost her mommy, so the "Real" challenge was to stop running and help her, cause that's what heroes do! But all just staged stuff.

Then next episode, they had to literally crawl across a stretch of grass/front yard while being attacked by dogs. They had those padded dog attack suits, but still, attack dogs literally biting them, while they had to drag said dogs across the lawn to get to the porch to win. I think most contestants basically tapped out almost immediately after the dogs latched on, but oddly enough I remember Monkey Woman being one of the few (and I think only woman,) who finished.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I also liked Beauty and Geek. Everyone basically got along with the exception of two of the "geeks" and really that was just one dude that seemed kinda like an rear end and the other was basically a caricature of every nerd in every 80s movie.

i used to work with a guy who was on the first season of this show. after he got eliminated he stuck around hollywood for a while dating the person he was paired with on the show. lost touch with him after that but he definitely played up the nerdy parts of his personality for the show, pretty level headed dude otherwise

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember they sent people to recruit for Beauty and the Geek at my college--they specified that they were looking for geeks rather than beauties, which we thought was very funny at the time.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

A friend of a friend was "Mulletman" who was either on one episode or only in deleted scenes, and I would say your statement also applied to him, but that would be mean to drama kids. I can't remember if he's a goon or not, but if he is, gently caress you.

Keeping on track with this thread's topic, he was also on an episode of Jerry Springer where he pretended he was into wearing his mom's underwear. From what I remember, it was extremely transphobic, even for 2001.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jan 21, 2021

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i used to work with a guy who was on the first season of this show. after he got eliminated he stuck around hollywood for a while dating the person he was paired with on the show. lost touch with him after that but he definitely played up the nerdy parts of his personality for the show, pretty level headed dude otherwise

I figured they were all asked to play up their nerdiness. It was a fun show where a bunch of pretty normal people all got along and hung out and made friends while playing an elimination game. I like shows like that vs the ones that are designed to start arguments.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yes, as I recall it, Beauty & The Geek ended up having a lot of genuinely sweet and/or funny moments.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It helps that at both the beauties and the geeks seemed like good people with I guess more stereotypical hobbies like fashion and Star Wars, rather than just negative people bringing down the fun.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

EdBlackadder posted:

Marc Wootton had a couple of shows in this vein.

High Spirits with Shirley Ghostman was ace. He ripped off Derek Acorah and was set to get a second series on a BBC2 when his in-character interview with Jonathan Ross got 350 complaints and he got shitcanned. Absolute cringe-TV and I watched the hell out of it when I was at uni.

He also did a straight series with My New Best Friend which is either hilarious or poo poo and I don't really care to go back and find out.

High Spirits with Shirley Ghostman has been a show on the tip of my tongue for years! I could only half-remember the premise and everyone who I tried to explain it to couldn't remember it either. My personal capacity to deal with cringe humour hasn't aged well, so who knows if I'll watch it again, but thanks for finally solving one TV mystery inadvertedly.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

muscles like this! posted:

This stimulates the part of my brain that used to be really into Wacky Races.

i.e. the Pimp my Ride article. I never watched the show lol I only know the memes.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Oh man! Are you guys talking about reality games shows in here? Hell yeah.

The Cell: A handful of contestants are separated into tiny rooms barely big enough to lie down in. Your only form of contact is a voice from an intercom. You're given random, sometimes painful challenges: sit on this bicycle that is missing a seat, endure a steady increase in room temperature, eat these live ants, spin in circles on a bar stool. Sounds easy, right? Well, the first person to quit or fail the competition goes home, but you can't see anyone else's progress. So you might have done 1,000 rotations in the bar seat, but you have no idea of knowing how many other people have done. 1,200? 2,000? You just have to keep going and going...

The White Rapper Show: So stupid but so entertaining. They took it so seriously...

The Briefcase(?): Some game where you had to hide a briefcase full of money. If you could keep it hidden from a group designed to find it, you kept the money. Great for "Here's what I would have done"

The game where you had to go on TV with a lie detector attached [Edit: Moment of Truth] and if you could avoid lying you would win a million bucks. "Do you hate your boss?" "Have you ever had a sexual thought about a cartoon?" "Would you cheat on your spouse if you knew you would get away with it?" One horrible person basically alienated her husband and entire family, saying the most horrible things about them, until she got to the last question: "Are you a good person?" She said "yes" but it was determined to be a lie (way, way deep down she must have known it couldn't be true after everything she just did) so she lost everything. Oof. I'd like to think she was a planted contestant. The show was like watching a train wreck. Absolutely bottom-barrel, but hard to look away. I think it got pulled for being just too dark.

Top Shot: If you're okay with guns as sport and not murdering, this was really fun with some great contestants and fun challenges.

Seconding Alone: Maybe the best survival/reality show ever

Cutthroat Kitchen: Sabotage another chef by replacing their stove with a single candle! Make them prepare an entire dish using only their non-dominant hand! Watch Alton Brown giggle like a schoolgirl as he makes you use sandwich bread that has been sitting overnight in a tank of water!

Bull Run: Cannonball memorial dash (but not really) with challenges and stuff.

Early seasons of The Ultimate Fighter with dumb challenges and lots of house drama

Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch: "Don't let go of that rope or you'll fall in my MUD!." "Hell yeah hell yeah oh my God hell yeah what a badass oh no hell yeah"

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Jan 22, 2021

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
For what was supposed to bring UFC into the mainstream, Ultimate Fighter Season 1 wasn't thought out at all.

Diego Sanchez fighting more times than anyone else. Losing fighters leaving the house so teams shrink down to nothing and there's no one to train with.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

True. So many illogical decisions.

But thanks to Forrest Griffin, it somehow worked.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Eclipse12 posted:

Oh man! Are you guys talking about reality games shows in here? Hell yeah.

The Cell: A handful of contestants are separated into tiny rooms barely big enough to lie down in. Your only form of contact is a voice from an intercom. You're given random, sometimes painful challenges: sit on this bicycle that is missing a seat, endure a steady increase in room temperature, eat these live ants, spin in circles on a bar stool. Sounds easy, right? Well, the first person to quit or fail the competition goes home, but you can't see anyone else's progress. So you might have done 1,000 rotations in the bar seat, but you have no idea of knowing how many other people have done. 1,200? 2,000? You just have to keep going and going...

The White Rapper Show: So stupid but so entertaining. They took it so seriously...

The Briefcase(?): Some game where you had to hide a briefcase full of money. If you could keep it hidden from a group designed to find it, you kept the money. Great for "Here's what I would have done"

The game where you had to go on TV with a lie detector attached [Edit: Moment of Truth] and if you could avoid lying you would win a million bucks. "Do you hate your boss?" "Have you ever had a sexual thought about a cartoon?" "Would you cheat on your spouse if you knew you would get away with it?" One horrible person basically alienated her husband and entire family, saying the most horrible things about them, until she got to the last question: "Are you a good person?" She said "yes" but it was determined to be a lie (way, way deep down she must have known it couldn't be true after everything she just did) so she lost everything. Oof. I'd like to think she was a planted contestant. The show was like watching a train wreck. Absolutely bottom-barrel, but hard to look away. I think it got pulled for being just too dark.

Top Shot: If you're okay with guns as sport and not murdering, this was really fun with some great contestants and fun challenges.

Seconding Alone: Maybe the best survival/reality show ever

Cutthroat Kitchen: Sabotage another chef by replacing their stove with a single candle! Make them prepare an entire dish using only their non-dominant hand! Watch Alton Brown giggle like a schoolgirl as he makes you use sandwich bread that has been sitting overnight in a tank of water!

Bull Run: Cannonball memorial dash (but not really) with challenges and stuff.

Early seasons of The Ultimate Fighter with dumb challenges and lots of house drama

Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch: "Don't let go of that rope or you'll fall in my MUD!." "Hell yeah hell yeah oh my God hell yeah what a badass oh no hell yeah"

There’s always Baggage hosted by Jerry Springer. Try to win a date with one of three people - but each one comes with ‘baggage’ that gets increasingly worse. At the end, you must reveal your own baggage to the selected winner and they choose whether or not they’re willing to go on a date with you. Are you willing to go on a date with a man who just admitted he promised his dad he would stay a virgin until marriage? The whole show was similar low-brow garbage and Springer was built to host it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just googled Baggage to see what I would get and there's an album of a few of them that just crazy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/372WL

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I figured they were all asked to play up their nerdiness. It was a fun show where a bunch of pretty normal people all got along and hung out and made friends while playing an elimination game. I like shows like that vs the ones that are designed to start arguments.

Is Face Off still on Syfy? They overproduced that show like crazy to the point where everyone was clearly burnt out, but it was the best reality show I ever saw. The gimmick was simple-- create a functional movie makeup creation in 3 days-- and because that in and of itself is so stressful there was no room or need for drama. Everyone seemed well-adjusted, their creations were interesting on their face, and people weren't afraid to help each other out.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
A particular reality show memory of mine is Average Joe, which set out to prove that beauty was only skin deep and the attractive woman would choose one of the average-looking contestants instead of one of the attractive-but-shallow men they bring in halfway through as a twist. Except every time the woman chooses one of the attractive guys instead, and particularly in one of the seasons the winning hot guy contestant breaks up with the lady literally in the finale because he learned she dated Fabio once. And then they gave the runner up guy, who was popular with the audience, his own spinoff. He proceeded to... choose the attractive-but-shallow contestant instead of the nice lady that his family/audience loved lol

It was like the evil twin version of Beauty and the Geek.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Is Face Off still on Syfy? They overproduced that show like crazy to the point where everyone was clearly burnt out, but it was the best reality show I ever saw. The gimmick was simple-- create a functional movie makeup creation in 3 days-- and because that in and of itself is so stressful there was no room or need for drama. Everyone seemed well-adjusted, their creations were interesting on their face, and people weren't afraid to help each other out.

Face Off was great, especially early on, but you're right about them pushing too hard with it. There are only so many makeup artists to use as contestants so I feel after awhile the quality began to drop. That, and they tended to overuse challenges involving aliens, monsters, and "evil" versions of normal things. Make a sinister Hansel and Gretel! Next, make a spooky Cinderella! Take a candy and make it... a monster! Season after season, it eventually got stale. These types of makeups give the contestants lots to work with and look impressive, but I can only see so many "This is an alien from an aquatic world!" before I just don't care anymore.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Eclipse12 posted:

True. So many illogical decisions.

But thanks to Forrest Griffin, it somehow worked.

I'd sooner rewatch S1 than a new season though. My interest just died off after the live season #15.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Face Off ended up having issues because that level of skill in make up isn't exactly a large community. So they just ran out of new people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not just that but they were producing episodes at like, an insane clip. I could see the judges straining to care and find new takes to say the same things week after week. Respect to everyone though that show gave me serious appreciation for makeup work, particularly old age makeup.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does MTV Fear count? Because that show RULED.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I remember loving the hell out of that show when I was a kid.

Has it been uploaded to YouTube in its entirety yet?

Edit: I think so!!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SgtScruffy posted:

Does MTV Fear count? Because that show RULED.

gently caress yes, I loved that show.
I would have killed to be on it, but I wasn't old enough back in the day.

I will never forget this one episode. One of the girls was this dead ringer for Christina Aguilera, or so I thought at the time, and she was getting the harshest dares - poo poo like having to hold on to 2 live wires for however long, stuff like that.

IIRC, she toughed it out to the end, but there was some other guy who bailed because he couldn't handle one of the "sit in a dark room in radio silence" challenges.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If we are still whinging on 'Reality TV', can I put forward The Amazing Race.

A bunch of drat near stereotypical "ugly Americans" supposedly running a race around the planet, but was instead was a film crew following stupid people screaming at taxi drivers, and ignoring anything cool about the awesome exotic places they are getting to visit for free whilst bickering amongst each other.

Seriously, maybe this is a personal petty bugbear, but it really shat me the way that they were in some of the coolest places in the world, yet all they did was run from airport to taxi and getting increasingly frustrated that a villager in Guatemala doesn't understand English well enough to give them detailed directions to the next checkpoint. Completely missing out on every single thing that makes travel cool.

There was also an Australian series I remember that had a chubby avuncular muslim bloke and his brother who always came last because they would have to pray at set times during the day, and thus would be quickly and easily overtaken by the other contestants. (Surprisingly enough for Australia "land of casual racism", these two blokes became beloved of the general public.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eh! Frank posted:

There was also "Celebrity Boot Camp", but instead of a series it was like a two-hour special. I don't remember any of the "celebrities" in it, though, other than Coolio, who won if I remember right.

And there was also "Combat Missions", which set contestants from assorted special forces and SWAT units against each other in team-based fitness competitions and, the real draw of the show, simulated combat missions using actual MILES simunition laser tag weapons. It's one part boot camp silliness and one part watching the pros gently caress up intricate combat scenarios. They do stuff like ambush a truck carrying a POW aviator, or go tank hunting with simulated charges. The boot camp competitions were important points, but it was the missions that sent people home.

I don't have any good behind the scenes gossip, but I do have YouTube links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE8XZxNgwtA

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Total Blackout: Do challenges in a room where you can see literally NOTHING. Identify that object just by touching it. Is it a mitten or a rat? Identify that object by smelling it. It's a man's rear end! Hosted by Urkel!

https://i.imgur.com/EvzP3Wc.gifv

Silent Library : MTV show where young college kids have to sit in a library and endure goofy challenges, trying not to laugh.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Jan 22, 2021

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Silent Library : MTV show where young college kids have to sit in a library and endure goofy challenges, trying not to laugh.

Which was ripped off from Downtown Gaki No Tsukai Ya Arahende, a Japanese show you might know from it's 24 hour batsu games done around new year. I wonder if they're still doing those. I know they were when I was there in winter 2016.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Celebrity Boot Camp got me thinking about a very recent Australian show:

SAS Who Dares Wins. Where the most famous of the "celebrities" was the wife of an Australian Test Cricketer. And also premiered just after the Australian SAS had been accused of war crimes in Afghanistan including shooting captured civillians in the back.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

It was like the evil twin version of Beauty and the Geek.

My sister's teacher was in the Norwegian version of that show. I guess you either have to have the highest confidence in the world or be completely oblivious to do that and then go into a classroom full of teens.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are still whinging on 'Reality TV', can I put forward The Amazing Race.

A bunch of drat near stereotypical "ugly Americans" supposedly running a race around the planet, but was instead was a film crew following stupid people screaming at taxi drivers, and ignoring anything cool about the awesome exotic places they are getting to visit for free whilst bickering amongst each other.

Seriously, maybe this is a personal petty bugbear, but it really shat me the way that they were in some of the coolest places in the world, yet all they did was run from airport to taxi and getting increasingly frustrated that a villager in Guatemala doesn't understand English well enough to give them detailed directions to the next checkpoint. Completely missing out on every single thing that makes travel cool.

Sounds like they captured the spirit of American tourists exactly! :v:

Go read the "Help, I'm Going To Europe" thread in the travel forum. It's full of people trying to visit eight countries in 14 days, run through three museums before lunch, convinced they're going to get pick-pocketed the second they step off the plane, and caring more about wifi access than looking at any of the things they paid thousands of dollars to go and see.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Iron Crowned posted:

Cops is an interesting one at least as it was a product of the 1988 writer's strike. Can't write new TV? Let's just point some cameras at cops for 30 minutes and call it a day!

Hell, I remember it was heavily promoted all the time in the early 90's, "Tonight! COPS! In Indianapolis!"

The success of Cops is probably why they had regular "When Animals Attack" specials, that were also just as heavily promoted.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I believe When Planes Go Down was hosted by Gillian Anderson. And of course the series of specials revealing magic tricks was hosted by and extremely reluctant Assistant Director Skinner.
Are we forgetting the greatest special of them all, When Cars Attack! ?

https://vimeo.com/134255679

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

gently caress yes, I loved that show.
I would have killed to be on it, but I wasn't old enough back in the day.

I will never forget this one episode. One of the girls was this dead ringer for Christina Aguilera, or so I thought at the time, and she was getting the harshest dares - poo poo like having to hold on to 2 live wires for however long, stuff like that.

IIRC, she toughed it out to the end, but there was some other guy who bailed because he couldn't handle one of the "sit in a dark room in radio silence" challenges.

Haha I remember her too. She was practically tortured and made it to the end while everyone quit over the lamest dares.

Fear was so goddamn cheesy but so much fun to watch. I think I might fall down that YouTube rabbit hole now.