Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aurora posted:

vegeta already has purple as his color with galick gun

Only in the anime, it's yellow in the manga and in Broly.

King of Solomon posted:

Also, it looks like Blaze was right about Goku's power growth being further mastery over Ultra Instinct, making the name "Mastered Ultra Instinct" have an amazing asterisk.

Well, "Mastered" Ultra Instinct is a fan term anyways. The official terms have always been "Ultra Instinct - Sign-" and "Ultra Instinct". It's just weird that the full form is the one without an extra word, so tacking "Mastered" in front of it made sense.

multijoe posted:

You'd think after the series has gone on for this long people would cut it out with the 'oh boy Vegeta is finally going to get his due this arc :)' posts, it's just never going to happen

No one said that though? It's clear that Vegeta will get a new power up, and following DB conventions, it's likely to bring in a transformation of some sort, even moreso since Goku is not getting one if he just has to get better at Ultra Instinct. Thus, it makes sense to speculate on what it will be - purple hair and eyes just seem like the obvious way to go considering context. Hopefully it's more than that though.

I'm pretty sure all of us know that Vegeta exists to job and he'll accomplish nothing here, just like he accomplished nothing last time with the Forced Spirit Fission thing. Last time he got to actually do something was in the Tournament of Power and even there only in the anime.

Kanos posted:

He honestly got a pretty good payout in the Super anime. Getting a unique form that didn't immediately job and convincingly defeating out one of the big antagonists 1v1 is way beyond what non-Gokus can usually hope to achieve.

He also beat a God of Destruction, something Goku has not done yet.

Aurora posted:

he was actually useful during moro too despite moro going 'nuh uh' afterwards

For a whole three pages or so before Moro got even stronger thanks to that. It was very disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

King of Solomon posted:

I don't expect him to actually accomplish anything, but the new form sounds cool.

Yeah. It really feels like they're going further down the road of Vegeta becoming a God of Destruction, which is fine, and that'll be enough for Vegeta to keep up with Goku for a second.

Also, the new character names are great. I was wondering what the gimmick was when I saw the names "Elec" and "Oil," but when I saw "Heeters" I was all "THERE it is." We didn't get a name for the fourth member, did we? We have Elec, Oil, and Gas, but I'm blanking on what a fourth type of heater is

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

convection?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Speaking of which I wonder if the naming convention is setting them up to be rivals to Freeza beyond the immediate story arc.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay I'm kind of on-board with Granolah so far, not a bad guy and not inexplicably powerful but probably going to end up crossing some lines that were not meant to be crossed to gain the power for the sake of his revenge.

MUI has already been downgraded to super saiyan silver though which kinda sucks, Goku did not seem to be responding automatically to incoming threats when he stood there stunned for two panels as Whis flew up to deck him :/

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Blaze Dragon posted:

Only in the anime, it's yellow in the manga and in Broly.

And pretty much every video game to feature it, purple I mean.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

multijoe posted:

MUI has already been downgraded to super saiyan silver though which kinda sucks, Goku did not seem to be responding automatically to incoming threats when he stood there stunned for two panels as Whis flew up to deck him :/

It's consistent with how Ultra Instinct never felt as powerful in the manga as it did in the anime, but also, that happened with Whis. Action timing is hard to follow in manga, but it's likely Whis is just that much faster to the point that Goku's instinctive movement is not enough. After all, Whis is an UI master, he's still significantly better than Goku. Had that been Beerus, I imagine he would've dodged and countered, but Whis is an unstoppable monster even now.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Granola is cool, he's got a motivation you don't see much in dragonball. To top it off he's got a legit reason to be pissed at both Frieza and Sayians, though I'm wondering how he'' react when he realizes that Goku isn't a bad guy. Also nice that while Vegeta still likely won't be the one saving the day or being the hero, that it's not just gonna be vegeta chasing a powerup that goku got first.

I also can't believe I missed the Cerealian pun.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 20, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ace chapter. Great puns, good setup. I really do wonder how things will pan out.

I can’t believe I didn’t get the heeter joke until I read it here.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would God of Destruction Trunks just look like base form Trunks? lol

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The gently caress were these people when Shin was looking for Universe 7 fighters? He really is the worst Kai.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

The gently caress were these people when Shin was looking for Universe 7 fighters? He really is the worst Kai.

At least he didn't just get depressed and start vlogging on GodTube, so Universe 7 really should count their blessings

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just imagining the future confrontation

"Huh. What do you want revenge for?"

"You killed my people!"

"...Yes? And?"

"You killed all of them!"

"Oh my, grow up. I killed their people too but I'm still allowed over for tea."

Vegeta: He is not!

Bulma: Every tuesday.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Granola is cool, he's got a motivation you don't see much in dragonball. To top it off he's got a legit reason to be pissed at both Frieza and Sayians, though I'm wondering how he'' react when he realizes that Goku isn't a bad guy. Also nice that while Vegeta still likely won't be the one saving the day or being the hero, that it's not just gonna be vegeta chasing a powerup that goku got first.

I also can't believe I missed the Cerealian pun.

Revenge has certainly been done a few times before. Dr. Gero, Paragus in both canons and Baby (if we want to count GT stuff) were motivated by revenge against the saiyans in general or Goku specifically. Freeza is revenge-motivated too, but it's not his sole motivation. That said, all of those characters were clearly assholes prior to dedicating themselves to revenge, so we might get to see more of a corruption angle to this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skeleton Mom posted:

Revenge has certainly been done a few times before. Dr. Gero, Paragus in both canons and Baby (if we want to count GT stuff) were motivated by revenge against the saiyans in general or Goku specifically. Freeza is revenge-motivated too, but it's not his sole motivation. That said, all of those characters were clearly assholes prior to dedicating themselves to revenge, so we might get to see more of a corruption angle to this.

Not to mention a lot of the movie villains like Garlic Jr or Dr Wheelo

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's interesting that Beerus actually offered to let Vegeta flat-out steal moves from him if he could duplicate them, which more-or-less confirms Goku did indeed pick up on Hakai from seeing him do it offscreen.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 20, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yo that was a really good chapter

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah. It really feels like they're going further down the road of Vegeta becoming a God of Destruction, which is fine, and that'll be enough for Vegeta to keep up with Goku for a second.

Also, the new character names are great. I was wondering what the gimmick was when I saw the names "Elec" and "Oil," but when I saw "Heeters" I was all "THERE it is." We didn't get a name for the fourth member, did we? We have Elec, Oil, and Gas, but I'm blanking on what a fourth type of heater is

The fourth was named Maki, which means timber. So a wood burning heater.

multijoe posted:

Okay I'm kind of on-board with Granolah so far, not a bad guy and not inexplicably powerful but probably going to end up crossing some lines that were not meant to be crossed to gain the power for the sake of his revenge.

tbf saying there is a limit to skill would both run contrary to Dragonball's stated thesis on martial arts as well as, like, real world martial arts' stated thesis on martial arts

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This was a good chapter, but with Granolah's motivation I'm getting flashbacks to Dr. Myuu/Baby (And that Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans guy as well). This is a much better setup than either of those had though so I'm optimistic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Raxivace posted:

This was a good chapter, but with Granolah's motivation I'm getting flashbacks to Dr. Myuu/Baby (And that Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans guy as well). This is a much better setup than either of those had though so I'm optimistic.

Yeah the fact that Granolah isn't

1. A raging psychopath
2. A mad scientist
3. An absurdly superpowerful creation of a md scientist

separates him pretty from the other past Must Kill All Saiyans plotlines nicely. He's a dude with legitimate grievances (,hat are probably going to be aimed at Goku and Vegeta who really didn't do anything thus making him an antagonist) instead of a mustache twirling villain.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's consistent with how Ultra Instinct never felt as powerful in the manga as it did in the anime, but also, that happened with Whis. Action timing is hard to follow in manga, but it's likely Whis is just that much faster to the point that Goku's instinctive movement is not enough. After all, Whis is an UI master, he's still significantly better than Goku. Had that been Beerus, I imagine he would've dodged and countered, but Whis is an unstoppable monster even now.

It may be just me, but even though there's still this incredible gap between Goku and Whis, it's definitely gotten narrower, and it no longer feels like it's impossible for Goku to cross it like it did when he first started training under Whis. I've always thought that the endgame of Super was Goku defeating Beerus in their eventual rematch, but now I can see the series building up to Goku taking on the Grand Priest and standing a chance.

Blockhouse posted:

The fourth was named Maki, which means timber. So a wood burning heater.

Awesome, thanks. I figured that I might have glossed over it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey were rehabbing Baby now after brolys done

Cool

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Super Saiyan God (Super Saiyan) forms are red and blue so makes sense to just combine those colours and go purple for the next stage beyond that

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Vegeta: “Aren’t they ever coming down? I want a turn!”
Whis: “They’ll come down once they see the food!”

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The universe 7 balance shifts every month you dumbass fish.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/waffloesh/status/1352014725249290240?s=21

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

upload an image

I’m surrounded by gluttonous fools!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I want a taco big as my head

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Blaze Dragon posted:

(perhaps interestingly, the one face that is distinct in his flashbacks is that of Great Ape Bardock, so if he saw Bardock in his base state, he'll have a bone to pick with Goku specifically even beyond his race).

That's a great catch. I didn't notice it at all when I read the chapter.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Nalin posted:

That's a great catch. I didn't notice it at all when I read the chapter.

Sorry, outing myself as a filthy casual here, but how can you tell? I'm not seeing either the Trademark Goku Hair, or the Less Trademark Bardock Armour on any of the Great Ape silhouettes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I want a taco big as my head

Related, but I've been to a place that sells two-foot long burritos.

You really don't want one.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The_Final_Stand posted:

Sorry, outing myself as a filthy casual here, but how can you tell? I'm not seeing either the Trademark Goku Hair, or the Less Trademark Bardock Armour on any of the Great Ape silhouettes.

I couldn't see it either, the only non apes are way too small and none of them seem to have his silhouette.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Broly just doesn't exist in the Super manga, I guess.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

the ape that we get a good close up on [the one that looks down all scary like at granolah] has scars on its face a lot like bardock's, apparently. i didn't notice it the first time

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ah yeah it does have the cheeck cross scar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darko posted:

Broly just doesn't exist in the Super manga, I guess.

We saw Broly last arc, Goku mentioned him. The events of the movie are canon to the manga, they just happened off-screen.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kild posted:

I couldn't see it either, the only non apes are way too small and none of them seem to have his silhouette.

Is that meant to be Zarbon, Dodoria, and Cui?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/CYBERJOTH/status/1354243778916319232

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

We saw Broly last arc, Goku mentioned him. The events of the movie are canon to the manga, they just happened off-screen.

The issue is that part of the fun of the movie is imagining he'd somewhat join the crew/be Gokus best friend and, thus far, hes been completely absent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darko posted:

The issue is that part of the fun of the movie is imagining he'd somewhat join the crew/be Gokus best friend and, thus far, hes been completely absent.

Uh, is that part of the fun of the movie? It feels very obvious if Broly was going to be joining the crew he wouldn't be living on another planet.

Like I don't think the story benefits in any way by Broly being around 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Uh, is that part of the fun of the movie? It feels very obvious if Broly was going to be joining the crew he wouldn't be living on another planet.

Like I don't think the story benefits in any way by Broly being around 24/7.

It ends with it leading to Goku obviously making him his new training buddy, especially since its the most powerful person he ever fought (barring that he never fought Beerus at 100 percent). He doesn't have to be around 24-7, but its also not like Goku not to go bug him to spar constantly.

Also, every antagonist from the current movies pops back up as a recurring character (and shows up in the next movie).