Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Boba Pearl posted:

Wait what are you supposed to call the heroes in a fighting game, if not heroes or champions?

Toons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It definitely feels like they thought of the staff-gun thing first and just never found a good theme for it. She's styled like a serious drill instructor but she doesn't really have any of that personality. It would help if she lost her composure in some of her animations or something for contrast so her being cold looked intentional rather than lifeless.

That said I really like the staff-gun gimmick and I feel like I should've seen it a lot more fighting games.

night slime
May 14, 2014

BoosterDuck posted:

why couldn't capcpom give us eagle instead of falke ಥ_ಥ

Should have added Mahesh

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boba Pearl posted:

Wait what are you supposed to call the heroes in a fighting game, if not heroes or champions?

Gokus.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Veev posted:

It definitely feels like they thought of the staff-gun thing first and just never found a good theme for it. She's styled like a serious drill instructor but she doesn't really have any of that personality. It would help if she lost her composure in some of her animations or something for contrast so her being cold looked intentional rather than lifeless.

That said I really like the staff-gun gimmick and I feel like I should've seen it a lot more fighting games.

I mean she has the golf swing super, but its break from her otherwise seriousness, along with her outfit, doesn't so much make a contrast as just feeling incoherent. They didn't even think to give her a golfer costume. On top of that how she's tied to Ed is another weird dimension that doesn't come across anywhere, and her moveset mostly just kind of feels like some stuff slapped together with a vague staff theme. I know I'm mostly just saying Street Fighter character doesn't make a lot of sense, but on the whole I think they've otherwise done a good job with making characters feel internally consistent around a given theme and characterization.

She's no Billy Kane, that's for sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

functions

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Who's the goku function in BB Tag?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Boba Pearl posted:

waifus

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Who's the goku function in BB Tag?

Ruby probably? If we're considering the goku to be the one that's on every team for years. Maybe Yu?

The real question is who's the vegeta imo

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Endorph posted:

functions

I was waiting for this

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

pfps

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

ROFL Octopus posted:

I still want Raditz and his dumb calendar moveset

Same. I want a Sunday-Saturday combo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

that's haram

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

chumbler posted:

Falke is weird because she's a half baked mess of a character, but I'm more interested in seeing someone play her well than pretty much any other character, probably because of her rarity.

It’s pretty dire for her because the only person I ever see playing Falke ever is LTG and he definitely does not play her well

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I prefer the term “fella” or perhaps “fellow” if you’re not hip or with it

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Arturo plays falke a lot, she's not awful but she's def limited.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Falke's a character with maybe half a working kit. She'd be a more complete character in something like SF4, but you don't get to be a ranged/zoner character in SFV without something special in your bag (also see: Sagat) and she's just a really mediocre zoner who's supposed to be backed up by big buttons except this is Street Fighter Five son, everyone's got those. Except, like, Ryu. It doesn't help that she feels like one of those characters who's supposed to get bailed out by having a good V-Trigger except VT1 is very utilitarian in nature and VT2 is pretty trash for a 3-bar.

That said, I've never had too much issue with her animations- yeah, they're stiff, but she's also a stiff character using a VERY stiff fighting style who's also in lore is more of an instructor who's never seen a lick of actual combat so her moves being very stiff and overly-practiced seems fitting. The main problem is that they don't lean into it enough and her 'character is also a major giant hodge-podge of tropes and ideas that don't even try to work together- a hypercompetent big sister character to Ed who's also her superior? in New Shadowloo while also being mentally very young but not leaning into it nearly as much as Ed despite her supposedly her being even younger and less definitely worldly then he is which is only really represented by her looking like an eight year old's version of a cool bratty teen military cadet. Like, V's generally had some very strong, directed designs and especially redesigns, but it's bad ones have been rough and Falke is the single biggest dropped ball of the lot.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Falke's a character with maybe half a working kit. She'd be a more complete character in something like SF4, but you don't get to be a ranged/zoner character in SFV without something special in your bag (also see: Sagat) and she's just a really mediocre zoner who's supposed to be backed up by big buttons except this is Street Fighter Five son, everyone's got those. Except, like, Ryu. It doesn't help that she feels like one of those characters who's supposed to get bailed out by having a good V-Trigger except VT1 is very utilitarian in nature and VT2 is pretty trash for a 3-bar.

That said, I've never had too much issue with her animations- yeah, they're stiff, but she's also a stiff character using a VERY stiff fighting style who's also in lore is more of an instructor who's never seen a lick of actual combat so her moves being very stiff and overly-practiced seems fitting. The main problem is that they don't lean into it enough and her 'character is also a major giant hodge-podge of tropes and ideas that don't even try to work together- a hypercompetent big sister character to Ed who's also her superior? in New Shadowloo while also being mentally very young but not leaning into it nearly as much as Ed despite her supposedly her being even younger and less definitely worldly then he is which is only really represented by her looking like an eight year old's version of a cool bratty teen military cadet. Like, V's generally had some very strong, directed designs and especially redesigns, but it's bad ones have been rough and Falke is the single biggest dropped ball of the lot.

I wish I could find the old gif of Falke's lp or lk. I forget which one it was but it's the button that does the like.. sorta half hearted swipe with her staff.

The problem with Falke's animations is that they're stiff because they're bad and look kinda unfinished, similar to a lot of the characters not named Menat. Falke just gets it worse because she has animations that don't follow through on anything. Maybe it's just me?

There's a lot of things I'd really like for SFVI (specifically my number one wish would be grooves, I think it'd be cool for there to be one based off of the "peak" version of each previous SF kinda thing), but upgrading the weird models and making the animations more fluid is towards the top.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think she's also supposed to have like really high psycho power or something, but that hardly comes across in her moveset beyond like her V skill 2 which isn't particularly good. At least it's consistent that she's paired with Ed, who is as much of a mess in every respect as she is.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

falke should have been eagle or rolento

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
It's a shame because I do like the Psycho-kids thing Ed and Falke have going on and with another revision they'd probably be good, but I don't know if they're popular enough to be coming back for the next game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Veev posted:

It's a shame because I do like the Psycho-kids thing Ed and Falke have going on and with another revision they'd probably be good, but I don't know if they're popular enough to be coming back for the next game.

If C. Viper, Hakan, Abel, El Fuerte, Decapre, Gouken, and Oni didn't make it into SFV, I don't see Ed or Falke making it into the next game. With the exception of maybe Decapre, I think the fanbase/FGC all liked those characters more than they do Ed/Falke.

But then again, who knows, maybe those 2 new guys we see in the SFV videos were the creators of Ed & Falke, weirder stuff has happened.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Unless they drop the Neo Shadaloo plot like a hot potato, I would expect Ed to come back. Falke would probably go back to being a cutscene character unless they do some significant revisions

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Gladiators.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Gladiators.

We pinball now?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I like that Ed's storyline is "What would Rock Howard be like if Terry was a toxic rear end in a top hat?"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
ed is one of many sf5 characters who instantly becomes way cooler as soon as you swap them off their default outfit. the eminem hoodie should've been the default instead of 5th member of the village people

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Jabronis

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

darealkooky posted:

ed is one of many sf5 characters who instantly becomes way cooler as soon as you swap them off their default outfit. the eminem hoodie should've been the default instead of 5th member of the village people

yeah, most of them are like that ive found

i got ada wong for kolin and never left that one, its a great costume tbh

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah, most of them are like that ive found

i got ada wong for kolin and never left that one, its a great costume tbh

Kolin's I think story costume with the big scarf and mittens is also good, but yeah that Ada one is easily her best, and one of the best made ones in the game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

:bisonyes:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The gloves, oh my god the gloves

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

The gloves, oh my god the gloves

They look more like mittens to me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I appreciate these sequence of events that could bring us that Bernie Kahn photoshop.

chumbler posted:

Kolin's I think story costume with the big scarf and mittens is also good, but yeah that Ada one is easily her best, and one of the best made ones in the game.

Both versions of the Ada Wong costume are really good for Kolin, even though the dress version is not something you can just activate automatically for every match and the physics tend to wig out hard sometimes. Other than that, her winter scarf attire should be her default instead of some of the other crap she gets.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hype for sf6's next gen clipping

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Don't update the physics just add more bones, let's get crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Bring back the old 2P character select boob physics but apply it to both players and also make literally every bit of meat on a character affected. Not the hair though.