Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Making pokegod humanlike would be real lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

As an alternate form but I must elaborate that I meant they go full uncanny valley with it. I don't want something cute or Meloetta-esque.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 20, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
monotheism arceus is super boring

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

new Arceus form but it's just Gigyas.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

new Arceus form but it's just Gigyas.

I thought that was Mewtwo?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

(XY especially is worth a read, taking the absolute barebones game that was XY and making a very heavy impact story out of it, with an ending that's weirdly bittersweet for this series and a Team Flare that's significantly more threatening).

yeah, XY is the most recent one i've read and really enjoyed it

Zuzie posted:

The Adventures manga is also saddled with having to follow all these Pokedex holders and constantly have to age them up but are unable to write them out completely. I'm not too familiar with it though. I mean fans give the anime hell for bitching about why Ash doesn't age but it at least avoids the issues Adventures has to face.

XY is entirely standalone, until a couple of early characters show up for a bit and i completely marked out when that happened

i don't know how returning characters are used in everything between GSC and that since i've only read RBY, XY, and finally started GSC the last couple of days but when it's used like that example i really appreciate the continuity

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The sheer willpower it must have taken to get that script and deliver that line without breaking the tone.

I just love that the english scriptwriters saw that and left it verbatim because you do not mess with pure gold :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i don't know how returning characters are used in everything between GSC and that since i've only read RBY, XY, and finally started GSC the last couple of days but when it's used like that example i really appreciate the continuity

RS is pretty much standalone, but everyone comes back for the Emerald section (note that it goes Ruby/Sapphire > FRLG > Emerald in terms of timeline). I think DPPt is pretty much standalone?

Honestly each saga is fairly good at letting the new crew do their own thing, there might be an allusion here and there to old stuff but usually the old Pokedex holders stay out of it until the remakes or the 'third' game part of the generation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just love that the english scriptwriters saw that and left it verbatim because you do not mess with pure gold :allears:

I really don't like it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Flopsy posted:

As an alternate form but I must elaborate that I meant they go full uncanny valley with it. I don't want something cute or Meloetta-esque.

Give me mind-rending Biblical angel Arceus form :psypop:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao, the edit on That Panel with Crys and her mum is so goofy. Like, I get why they would change that, I don't find doing so objectionable, but it just stood right out as "they obviously cut a hit out here, right?"

I love how the artist draws Surge's Raichu

ApplesandOranges posted:

RS is pretty much standalone, but everyone comes back for the Emerald section (note that it goes Ruby/Sapphire > FRLG > Emerald in terms of timeline). I think DPPt is pretty much standalone?

Honestly each saga is fairly good at letting the new crew do their own thing, there might be an allusion here and there to old stuff but usually the old Pokedex holders stay out of it until the remakes or the 'third' game part of the generation.

Ah, okay, sounds like I more or less would have expected

Like, with XY, even though they never got a third game the returning characters in the manga only show up once the story starts looking at Zygarde related stuff and that sorta thing

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Give me mind-rending Biblical angel Arceus form :psypop:

*Slaps the side of an Arceus* You can fit so many eldritch eyes on this bad boy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Four pics:

https://twitter.com/TinaFate1/status/1351792897583005696?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nintendo dream sword/shield character popularity poll. the blue/pink numbers indicate the gender breakdown of the voters. raihan getting number 1 with a 5% male/95% female ratio is hilarious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kinda shocked Nessa is nearly last place. Maybe she's more popular with english players

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Kinda shocked Nessa is nearly last place. Maybe she's more popular with english players

nintendo dream is also a super female demo magazine, is probably why. if you look nobody actually has a male dominated ratio.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Endorph posted:

nintendo dream is also a super female demo magazine, is probably why. if you look nobody actually has a male dominated ratio.

Ah that also makes sense. I didn't know the demo was that skewed

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Finally, Raihan beats Leon at something.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Endorph posted:

nintendo dream sword/shield character popularity poll. the blue/pink numbers indicate the gender breakdown of the voters. raihan getting number 1 with a 5% male/95% female ratio is hilarious.

I'm shocked Sonia is ranked so low. I may be just as biased in the opposite direction than the demographics however, since she bears a pretty strong resemblance to Mrs. Doctor.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

This is just the top 15 right? So she's probably doing better than the other losers that didn't even rank, like Rose.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marnie’s in the Top Ten, I approve. Kind of weird that Hop is so high though.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Marnie’s in the Top Ten, I approve. Kind of weird that Hop is so high though.

The answer is BL

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm surprised Hop is that high but glad people have come around on him being the best rival.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't even understand Nessa's appeal in the first place, admittedly. She seems pretty generic as far as a Gym Leader goes to me.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Lack of himbo Milo is an absolute crime

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Raihan's character design is fine but in game he was a joke. Let's have a double battle, oh and I'm going to waste half my pokemon's moves by setting the weather to something different every round, so it's essentially 2 on 1. Oh you beat me easily? How ever did that happen?

Hop is a pale imitation of Hau, the actual best rival and wholesome friend.

I am mystified why the forgettable Fire-type gym leader with football referee energy is so high.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My guess is that half his appeal comes from being a tough old man that's not so old as to be unappealing, and the other half from his absolutely ridiculous cheer when they send you off from his city.

I like that Raihan mixed up his expected team instead of 'oh, dragons, let's just bring Ice/Fairy to counter' as one would expect, but in practice Clair was a tougher gym leader. My memories of B/W are too fuzzy to remember if Drayden/Iris posed any sense of challenge.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

but in practice Clair was a tougher gym leader.

Because Fairy didn't exist, there was only four (realistically, two) Dragons, and lolllll Ice-types.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't even understand Nessa's appeal in the first place, admittedly. She seems pretty generic as far as a Gym Leader goes to me.

Same reason Raihan is in first, really: they are hot

Violet_Sky posted:

The answer is BL

Violet_Sky solved the puzzle here, Marnie having the second highest male to female ratio outside Nessa is also unfortunately probably related

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sonia should be in first

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

Because Fairy didn't exist, there was only four (realistically, two) Dragons, and lolllll Ice-types.

Kingdra wasn't even weak to Ice and there were like no Dragon type moves you could throw at her outside of maybe Dragon Breath.

It's funny how they gave you a cave full of Ice types right before Blackthorn and half of them are useless against her. Swinub's even weak to Water.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Raihan being the weather leader is a lot more interesting than just being a single type leader, even if the result is the same in the end.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hammerite posted:

I am mystified why the forgettable Fire-type gym leader with football referee energy is so high.

You answered your own question.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My memories of B/W are too fuzzy to remember if Drayden/Iris posed any sense of challenge.

Drayden? Iris? Pffft. Lance still owns with his THREE Dragonites, Dragonaire, and two not-even-dragons-because-gently caress-you. Raihan needs to take some pointers from Lance about how to not use dragons in a dragon gym.

Edit: I just remembered this little gem. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qe9O90cD80

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 21, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I hope we get a region where the gym/E4/Champion are based around themes rather than types

Give me a proper farm leader with Mudsdale, Rapidash, Stoutland, Dubwool, Tauros, and Miltank, then give them a wide range of move types for coverage

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I hadn’t played Pokémon since shield came out, and I’ve been impatiently awaiting monster hunter rise. I figured I would do some other monster hunting with my copy of Pokémon sun sitting around unfinished. Started a new game and holy guacamole this game is great! Why the hell did I wait so long to play this? Salazzle or whatever her name is is far too cute for her own good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gen 7 Dream poll, for comparison:

Bonus gen 5 poll from somewhere else:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

AlternateNu posted:

You answered your own question.

Drayden? Iris? Pffft. Lance still owns with his THREE Dragonites, Dragonaire, and two not-even-dragons-because-gently caress-you. Raihan needs to take some pointers from Lance about how to not use dragons in a dragon gym.

Edit: I just remembered this little gem. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qe9O90cD80

remember the days when Powerthirst was the only video on YouTube?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gen 7 Dream poll, for comparison:

Bonus gen 5 poll from somewhere else:

Okay how did the Subway dudes get 2nd and 3rd?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

A lot more people take the subways in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Electric Phantasm posted:

People want to gently caress the subway robots(?), okay.