Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

indigi posted:

how come sometimes Dolores has aimbot enabled and sometimes she can’t hit a shot to save her life. how come they don’t kill Ocean’s 12 dude when they have the chance. why not just blow up Rehoboam. how come Ocean’s 12 dude doesn’t have any loving security at the office where Rehoboam is

its a bad show and they just do whatever for any given scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

TimWinter posted:

Here watch this instead of your terrible anime. It's a pleasant short animated film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvLH0sy_lu8

I wouldn’t call this pleasant but it was good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

also how come “outliers” are always only bad guys who do bad things that lead to extinction and never like a Nelson Mandela or MLK or Fidel Castro

because westworld season 3 is pants on head stupid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

its a bad show and they just do whatever for any given scene

sometimes they can tank nine hundred bullets and keep walking and sometimes they’re killed easily. it just depends on what the script says for that scene.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1352003579108855811

:sickos:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 21, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i pretended like Westworld ended after season 1 so to me it's a pretty good show that verged on very good when it wasn't disappearing up its own rear end in a top hat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i stopped watching westworld after season one, because it was clear that they wanted to explore their own assholes with clever narrative devices but didn't care about following any kind of rules for how their world worked

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
good news everyone!

https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1352221444634251265

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

infernal machines posted:

i stopped watching westworld after season one, because it was clear that they wanted to explore their own assholes with clever narrative devices but didn't care about following any kind of rules for how their world worked

well yes, it's made by a nolan, you should have expected that going in

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ooooooh!

man, i can't wait to see full 4k remasters of films that had blood effects painted onto the frames with marker.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

duz posted:

well yes, it's made by a nolan, you should have expected that going in

i was not aware of that at the time.

the only really clever part of season one was the weird aside towards the end where it appeared increasingly likely that the guy writing the hacky schlock for the park narratives was actually writing the show itself

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

sometimes they can tank nine hundred bullets and keep walking and sometimes they’re killed easily. it just depends on what the script says for that scene.

that's bad anime level writing. those bullets should have power levels or some excuse for not hitting like anti-bullet fields or whatever 70s scifi handwaved they away with

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also you can blow their heads up in a mess of gore and just rebuild them, but if you take a little globe out of their nose, they're dead for good. probably. unless that's retconned in later seasons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just remembered in s3 when they set off the huge emp and all the robots get knocked out, the computers shut down, the lights turn off, and 3 seconds later jesse pinkman’s cell phone starts ringing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the entire season is a build to a mass effect 3 ending choice lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
arli$$world

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

that's bad anime level writing. those bullets should have power levels or some excuse for not hitting like anti-bullet fields or whatever 70s scifi handwaved they away with

oh dude the scene where they hail a cab and get in and then mercs come with automatic rifles and for some reason the car body and windows are completely bulletproof

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

this was also a problem with the matrix sequels; it’s hard to build narrative tension if threat in a fight are inconsistent

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

indigi posted:

oh dude the scene where they hail a cab and get in and then mercs come with automatic rifles and for some reason the car body and windows are completely bulletproof

oh yeah lol theres no way a future auto-tesla cab company would make them that durable. maybe hosable but not bulletproof

meanwhile other vehicles can and do explode dramatically. they're also fairly standard in style and don't mesh as well with the sleeker designs

fart simpson posted:

just remembered in s3 when they set off the huge emp and all the robots get knocked out, the computers shut down, the lights turn off, and 3 seconds later jesse pinkman’s cell phone starts ringing

hbo please rename westworld to jesse pinkman's wild ride

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 21, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the director/writers were clearly so loving pleased with themselves for coming up with that absurdly stupid “genre” drug

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

indigi posted:

the director/writers were clearly so loving pleased with themselves for coming up with that absurdly stupid “genre” drug
it was a neat but not great ep but yeah not load-bearing for a whole season

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

PCjr sidecar posted:

this was also a problem with the matrix sequels; it’s hard to build narrative tension if threat in a fight are inconsistent

matrix 1: "everyone who has ever fought an agent has died"

matrix 2: *every character spends the entire movie fighting multiple agents at once*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
matrix 1: "the main character has become an invincible god"

matrix 2: "no he didn't actually"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t understand why Neo wasn’t firing off kamehamehas and poo poo, like the first thing I’d do as The One is figure out how to shoot energy beams

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

oh yeah lol theres no way a future auto-tesla cab company would make them that durable. maybe hosable but not bulletproof
regular non-auto teslas aren't waterproof, why would the cheap versions be?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

regular non-auto teslas aren't waterproof, why would the cheap versions be?

self-driving and self-cleaning on the same level would really be the most believable future too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe those mercs should have thrown ball bearings

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lotsa good stuff here
https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1352284016083431424

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
some great early kurosawa

"the bad sleep well" is actually a loose (very loose) adaptation of hamlet, prefiguring his versions of macbeth and king lear

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

look orpheus j morpheus said that he wouldn't need to dodge bullets, he still can if he wants

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

this is like the best bit of how the trilogy continued. he becomes unimaginably powerful but it turns out to be in a context fully created and controlled by the opposition. making it not quite worthless, but kind of inconsequential since your actual goal involves dissolving that power structure.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is like the best bit of how the trilogy continued. he becomes unimaginably powerful but it turns out to be in a context fully created and controlled by the opposition. making it not quite worthless, but kind of inconsequential since your actual goal involves dissolving that power structure.

doesn't he at some point do a jesus ultimate special move where he resurrects himself after being killed irl?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

doesn't he at some point do a jesus ultimate special move where he resurrects himself after being killed irl?

I mean that happens in the first one

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

This is less "the best bit of how the trilogy continued" and more "a fundamental flaw in the first movie that made it impossible to make sequels that didn't suck."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well in the first one they say The One will have the power to rewrite The Matrix as they see fit and wake people up en masse. that kind of went out the window in the sequels and The One just became Good At Fighting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

I mean that happens in the first one

no, in the first one he is resurrected by the power of love

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tonight's bigscreen entertainment (in remastered HD no less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryg9KYXXq0U

I love how even shlock like this is getting some love for a rerelease.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Tonight's bigscreen entertainment (in remastered HD no less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryg9KYXXq0U

I love how even shlock like this is getting some love for a rerelease.

red letter media's best of the worst has seen a cornucopia of absolute garbage re-released as hd blurays, lovingly restored from original negatives.

i'm guessing the rights are peanuts to buy and the film scanners are a lot cheaper than they used to be, so why not?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

i'm guessing the rights are peanuts to buy and the film scanners are a lot cheaper than they used to be, so why not?

agreed. plus the remastering process has only gotten cheaper and easier and with the new primacy of streaming you don't even have to have a manufacturing run at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's incredible, because what you used to get were dvd "re-releases" that were straight up VHS transfers from some 20-year old rental tape someone found in a wet basement

being able to really see the incredibly low cost effects, costumes, and sets makes it so much better